THR Lily's recovery

Yesterday marked 3weeks for me. Today I saw my surgeon and he was happy with my progress. Firstly the nurses removed my bandage gave the cut a clean and put steri strips in its place for one week.

My surgeon asked me "how's the pain".."am I sleeping", "any concerns". Told him all was good except for pain around the incision and there's a patch of hardness inside near the incision. He said thats a bit of internal swelling and will pass in a few weeks.

He asked me to walk without crutches ,said I looked good walking and to move to one crutch for the next three weeks. He didn't look at my scar, no x-rays , didn't ask about physio, it was all over and done with quite quickly. He was happy, so am I so I'll see him again in 2 months.

After that I saw the physio with whom I've been doing physio on zoom calls, ,he send me weekly exercises and I can choose to do them or not. I just do what I can or remember however walking around the house is what I mainly do.

He checked my walking without crutches. Moved my operated leg around like a pretzel, asked if I could get up without using hands from a chair,how far I could bend over to touch the ground. We talked about sleeping positions and restricting weight for a few more weeks. He also moved my unoperated leg to different position to see if I could feel anything in my hip. Answer was no.

He said to do whatever and however much I want of the exercises. I asked about dislocation and he said that the first 4 weeks you need to be careful.Once the tissue swelling comes down and the implant gets absorbed into your body....sorry don't have other words to explain that....it becomes solid and part of you.

Overall he was happy..so am I.

This afternoon hubby and I looked after our two little granddaughters,8 months and 2 years old. Hubby did all the heavy lifting but it was so hard for me. I had to pick the little one up and she's the size of a mini sumo wrestler..so chubby and wriggly. Only did that once because I felt the pressure in my hip.I'm exhausted and feeling the most pain since the surgery . Hip incision is very stingy.

Currently it's bedtime, I'm iced up, extra medicated ,legs elevated and very glad the day's over.

Long post but that's been my day.

Hugs to all the hipsters.
 
Last edited:
Yay for the newsy update! So glad everything is progressing well with you!
 
Glad it is all going well .. thanks for the comment re your scar - I found that reassuring for me too. Are you allowed to massage it?
 
I have any itchy scar and I rub it without thinking but I would think leave well alone till it heals as much as possible. I didn't ask about massage but the nurse said not to do anything till the scabs fall off in case it disturbs the healing process.

Best to do whatever you're surgeon recommends i guess.

Thank you.
 
Hi Goma! It’s nice to read your appointment went well.

Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.
@Goma
 
The nurse did say not to apply any products on the incision until the scabs are healed.

Thank you for the information.
 
Thanks Goma. Very useful and I’m glad your appt went well..
 
Today the surrounding skin of my scar is so itchy it's making me nuts.
I saw that there was a very faint film where the bandage was and I'm thinking perhaps some residual glue was still there.

I gently wiped a wet cloth..just water..on the surrounding skin,wiped a bit of paw paw cream on...not on the scar...and it helped. Icing was very soothing.

I know itchy indicates healing but this was too much. Thankfully it's all calmed down.
 
I saw mention of taking a Benadryl somewhere for itching on here in a post/ it may come up in a search. Ice should help with itchiness as well. Hope the itching is short lived!
 
I had crazy itching and some residual dressing. I very gently on advise out some hydrocortisone 1% cream around the incision wound. This helped greatly.
 
I might have mentioned the benedryl. It certainly helped me.
 
It's middle of the night and itchiness is going next level. I'm icing and I'll put cortisone on the surrounding skin where it's the worst,take an antihistamine and hope it calms down.

This has come out of the blue.

Thanks for the advice lovely hipsters. As always so helpful and understanding .
 
Last edited:
Ugh...miserable. I am so sorry. Hopefully you get comfortable enough to get some sleep.

Itching normally occurs during the second phase of healing referred to as the Rebuilding or Granulation and Proliferation stage. While itching is an uncomfortable distraction, it is considered normal.

During this phase new skin tissue is formed to replace the damaged tissue. Histamine, a chemical released by the body as a protective barrier for the newly enclosed wound site, is what causes the itching sensation beneath the skin around the wound. The itching can last for as long as the chemical is released for wound healing, which can amount to several weeks.

Follow your surgeon's protocol for wound care. If the itching becomes severe, you may obtain relief through the use of a frozen gel pack (cold compress) which helps by numbing the area, reducing the itching sensation. Do not use topical agents close to, or on the incision without the approval of your surgeon for risk of infection before the wound is fully closed, which normally occurs between 4-6 weeks post op.

Wishing you comfort from the itching.
@Goma
 
"several weeks".... that's going to seem like ages feeling the way I do.

Anyway, all part of the process so I guess buckle up and go for the ride.

I'm icing which helps greatly and glad to know it's all normal.

Many thanks.
 
Are you taking benedryl? I find this helps me at night. I am on week 9 and weeks 6-8 were the worst for itching.
 
I took telfast (antihistamine) and put some cortisone cream around not on the scar. That helped immensely.

Changed to all cotton underwear against my skin and iced. It's all tolerable now.

Thank you
 
I had a rash that drove me crazy with itching, OS told me the hydrocortisone cram around the incision was OK. That's what I did, and it went away.
 
I took telfast (antihistamine) and put some cortisone cream around not on the scar. That helped immensely.

Changed to all cotton underwear against my skin and iced. It's all tolerable now.

Thank you
That is great news!
 
I'm writing this while I'm still conscious...sleep..I can't get enough of it.

It's as though the brain and body is ganging up and sucking all of the energy out of me.
Yesterday I napped most of the afternoon, had a small meal, fell asleep on the couch at 6 pm. My hubby knew I was alive as he said I was snoring and talking ,even to my dad who's been dead for 20 years ( the meds talking). Walked to bed and slept till 8 the next morning and trying to get up was a struggle.

Today was the same. Hit by a sledgehammer.... I'm so tired.

Now I never ever nap during the day and it's 7 hours tops for me at night.

I know sleeping is healing but I'm just shy of a coma.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom