THR Lily's recovery

Today I had my physio appointment. All done on the iPad so very easy..no driving involved..much like a zoom call. He send me a bunch of excercises with instructions, I do what I can. No pressure. Easy.

My hubby follows My hip and legs around while I walk for the physio and he gets me to do some leg lifts,asks me a bunch of question and it's all done.

He's very happy with my progress and has added in a butt squeeze for the glutes to strengthen. I still have bruising,swelling and my leg is heavy so will only do what I can.

Today I was able to get through the day on only panadol so I'm happy about that because the Oxycodone is giving me bowel problems. I'm on top of that now.i changed to sennokot which works well and gently.

I can't believe how tired I am and how much I want to sleep.every afternoon and having early nights. Another thing is I don't feel hungry. Force myself to eat because I'm taking meds. I have developed dry mouth,again I think it's the meds and I drink lots of water.
Still wearing compression stockings 24/7 and taking aspirin. Today they're getting on my nerves but I know I'm wearing them for a reason.

Today was good....tomorrow might be different

Keep well...fellow hippies..hugs to all
 
Last edited:
@Goma It sounds like you are doing well. The swelling in your leg will go away ... elevating the leg and icing will help that ease up. And, yes, the fatigue is quite overwhelming at times. There is so much healing to be done your body uses a lot of energy to accomplish that. Sigh, I had "nap attacks" for months after my hip replacements ... and they, too eventually went away. Those stockings are a nuisance! You could ask your surgeon (or his nurse or assistant) when you can ditch those ... many people stop using them fairly quickly. Remember you are just a couple of weeks out from having major surgery ... and it takes time for all the healing to occur.
 
Happy two weeks hip buddy! It's mine too.

Interesting to see where we both are. I'm not off of the walker yet (but feel like I could be), and we don't have crutches here as part of recovery. However, I'm moving around well, have minimal incision pain, very little swelling or bruising, and all that. So a little of column A and a little of column B for us in recovery!

I haven't felt the need to nap much, and I'm close to being done with pain pills, but still icing and elevating a lot. I'm not a person with much of an appetite myself.

Here's to continued healing!
 
Yesterday I used the golfers reach to feed my pets and feeling a little groin pain today so will be backing off that. I have a claw type picker up which I'll use.

Have been reducing meds and take the Oxycodone at the end of the day when I'm feeling a bit tender..still tired and can fall asleep quite quickly without notice.

Also walking independently at times..around the kitchen or bedroom where there's something I can grab. I find being on one crutch is easier on my hip as it's bearing the weight while walking. I alternate between two, one and no crutch depending on how tired I am and what I'm doing.

I'm happy with my progress, the hip feels solid albeit still swollen and my posture is improving because prior to surgery I was a limping hunchback. I'm making a point of standing straight.

See my surgeon on Tuesday and I think my bandage is coming off. Swelling and bruising is minimising. I feel a "knot"? in my buttock and asked my physio and he said it would be the glute muscle that was cut and reattached and the sensation would improve.. it's not a pain as such but I can feel it.

After the surgeon I have face to face with the physio. My surgeon and physio work together and consult with each other so after each pt session my surgeon gets updated on my progress
My pt is also available 24/7 if I need him for any concerns. He doesn't push and at my last session he watched me walk, asked me to lift my knee as high as I could with no pain and if I can sit in a chair and get up without hands. I could easily and he was satisfied. I don't do these as part of pt just a check on progress I guess.

My GP takes care of meds and she's lovely. Overall I'm happy with my progress and am taking it nice and easy.
 
Last edited:
I feel a "knot"? in my buttock
This is an odd, but common occurrance.
I remember this feeling well! I described it to my husband as the sensation of sitting on a tennis ball, that was only the size of a golf ball, lol.

Thankfully it passes with time. I occasionally sat on a smaller gel ice pack which brought some relief.
Glad you're happy with your progress and hope you have a nice post op appointment next Tuesday.
 
It's good to hear that your recovery is going well - keep up the good work.

My son is in Australia at the moment so I'm a little bit familar with the time difference, was it earlier today that you saw your surgeon or did you mean you're seeing him next Tuesday ? If it was today I hope it went well.
 
After telling you all how well I'm going I had an achy day today. My new mate "the knot" was a bit tender from whatever so icing and rest was the go today. I told my physio and he wasn't concerned so probably just some swelling that needs to go down.

I wrote my post Wednesday morning so for me Tuesday was yesterday. It's Wednesday night now , I'm in bed,taken my meds and hope to drift off soon.

Till tomorrow....
 
@Goma There's me saying I know what the time is in Australia - I don't even know what day of the week it is here ! It was Wednesday when I wrote that post and I thought it was Tuesday - oh dear, there's no hope for me !
 
Yes.the days drift into one another through this recovery. It's like we're in a little time bubble.

On my side of the planet we're ahead in time of the rest of the world.

Thursday morning for me here.
 
Today was a not so good day.

Had a few every day life problems which I'm currently sorting out so my stress levels were elevated today. I forgot my meds and didn't ice once which I'm very pedantic about. No pt either which is ok because I was up and down all day.

I have an achy groin today. Maybe because I've neglected myself or perhaps part of the healing process....see how it goes. I'm not worried.

Thankfully the end of the day. I'm in bed with my ice buddy under my butt and happily medicated.

Tomorrow should be better...this forum makes me secure. I feel like I have a special place all my own where no one in this house goes but me.
 
That's right Goma, it's very secure feeling here cause we've all had to recover.
Little setbacks are to be expected. We start feeling stronger/better and then the hip says, "hey remember me, you just had me torn apart and put back together!"
But it all comes together eventually.
Happy day to you.
 
I don’t think your achy groin will be any neglect - more you’ve pottered a bit too much or as you so mostly due to the healing process. I still have pain doing too much 5 weeks on.

Hope you are waking up soon to a better day, and it’s Friday?!
 
Yes, that little voice in your head says you're doing too much and you'll feel it later. There are all sorts of areas of pain popping up but it's only a few weeks for me so I expect it. It's a balancing act.

I'm ignoring the phone today and taking it easy. Friday morning here.

Thank you
 
Yep, my groin feels the occasional "reminder I'm here" from the implant and surgery too... I feel you.

My quad also decides to be angry at me with no rhyme or reason and can literally change in a 5 minute span. Interesting to see how things are going down there! Enjoy your Friday!
 
I am sorry you had a stressful day and you're dealing with aches and pain. Hopefully meds on schedule, lots of ice and rest bring you comfort.

Tomorrow should be better...this forum makes me secure. I feel like I have a special place all my own where no one in this house goes but me.
I love this! Glad spending time here makes you feel secure.
Hugs and best wishes! :loveshwr:
 
Offloading any concerns during recovery brings peace of mind when you're here. No judgement or worries you sound silly if you ask a question and everybody here hopes they'll be ok.

Definitely helps with mental health.

Happy weekend to all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom