THR Life in the fast (swim) lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Miss Muffet You are right! You do notice that once you are rested you notice it the next day. Just like when you overdo on activity the next day you feel drained. Let me correct myself...it is @gullimac having surgery same day as you! Best Wishes for a successful recovery!
 
@SwimGirl - we live and learn (sometimes the hard way)
Yes am sharing 8 November with my old mate @gullimac - it's a busy month, so plenty of activity on the BS scene.
 
OS appt tomorrow. Will keep you posted @SwimGirl . I will be glad to make that appt. I know everyone recovers differently but this is going so much harder than i had hoped for. I was physically in good shape and mentally prepared but I am having such a hard time keeping the pain controlled.
 
@tamra I know the pain was unexpected but keep in mind that this too shall pass! Get all your questions ready and hold onto the OS jacket until you ask all you need. I also have had more pain this time around. The hospital here has an ortho nurse program manager who runs the joint classes and follows up with post op cases. I just expressed my concerns when she called. Have you called the office? maybe you need a change in pain meds.
 
@SwimGirl Are you feeling better now? Is the swelling down? Isn't the second one supposed to be easier? (I ask hopefully.) Do you think it was caused by going for the distance? Sharks in the OR?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans Yes! Feeling better for certain. The second one was not easier for some reason. Had lots of bone spurs that had to be removed and then they had to even out my leg lengths. Not sure if I am shorter now or what. So, I was sensitive and swelling because of all the extra manipulation. Did not actually see the sharks in the OR but know there were some pretty sharp teeth doing the work on my hip! So, back to the walker but this too shall pass. Thanks for checking in. How are you doing?
 
Didn't mean to hijack your thread @SwimGirl . But thx for advice .. i did follow it. Sounds like some of your extra pain/issues are caused by the same thing mine it. Extra manipulation/cutting/grinding because of growths on hip ball and socket. At least it makes sense. Hope you stay feeling better! The new anti-inflammatory they added to help with my pain brought the swelling down a lot (torodal?). Which in turn also helped!
 
Glad things are improving. Remember, BoneSmart knows best. Just use it as your Bible
 
Glad things are improving. Remember, BoneSmart knows best. Just use it as your Bible

Definitely! The first thing i do is look to see if there is an article about whatever i am wondering about. The depression thing was pretty much what i was seeing but with more pain. I feel a lot better this afternoon thank goodness.
 
@tamra I am glad I could help and that you are feeling better. There is no reason to suffer any more than normal.
I finally got up the nerve to remove my tegaderm after a shower and was disappointed that my incision is an inch
Longer than my right. Oh well! The job got done thankfully! I always say.....it could be worse!
 
@SwimGirl no posts a good thing i hope :-) .. i did find that corner to turn (to feeling better!). :-)
 
@SwimGirl, my surgery triplet, sending you a shout-out and hoping things are going well for you!

I certainly hope you DID loaf around all day on the 31st and are enjoying being home. My Halloween was so fun, as my husband came with my rehab bag, which contained the orange and purple lights, and I DID decorate with them. He was not amused, but I was!

This will be my third day in rehab and I am feeling much better. Had been having painful thigh muscle spasms, but maybe I am past that now. I'll update my thread again today.
 
@Tweetybrd Thanks for checking on me. I had a rough start but now am doing well. This hip more painful than right so I was somewhat discouraged initially. Also more swelling but that is all gone now. Josephine said take more tylenol for pain. Boy, every surgery is different. Now, I am getting around on walker very well again as before. Anxious to move to cane but being cautious about when. Last time I was on walker 3 weeks....
I see you checking in on everyone. How sweet! I am starting to study over the surgery schedule now and wish others well. I mean....that is why we are here!
 
@SwimGirl That is good your rough start is over. I am sure you read on here that ever surgery is different, now you are a believer! LOL Just like I read about all the people say its not as bad of a surgery and they should not have been nervous. But here I am all nervous. :sigh:
Take it easy and ice. You will soon be way down the road to recovery and feeling fine!:yay:
 
@Tweetybrd I have been told every surgery is different, just didn't truly expect it! Yesterday I was up and cooking and feeling great only to wake up this morning and wonder why I am sore. Well duh! Rest is so critical. Have my 10 day follow up appointment Monday and my list of questions ready. I am thinking of you having to wait until January for your surgery. Do not waste another minute with worry. As my first surgery was near I began to get more nervous and finally decided that I wasn't going to go through all this nervousness until it actually got here. Why put yourself through it? I made the decision to have surgery so I tried to find ways to occupy my mind until the date arrived. This helped me cope! You have the holidays to distract you. This is ideal! Stay busy!!!
 
Wow @SwimGirl Up and cooking. I feel like I've accomplished a lot simply putting some soup in a bowl and nuking it and then transporting back to my nest.
 
@gertie I feel like I have been so lazy. However, I felt like cooking so it made me happy. Since my first surgery family stopped waiting on me so much. Bummer!
So, have had to do things for myself. For example on first hip for first shower my hubby was by my side. This time I just got in by myself! For me, it had more to do with comfort of using walker. I am not on narcotics either. So no dizziness. It will come easily for you after a bit of time. You will be surprised. First you hold tight to the walker, decide it is in your way, then transfer to a cane and next thing you know you are wondering where you left your cane because you managed to move without it.
 
Well, I am longing for my favorite pasta dish, which will mean doing some cooking. Maybe over the weekend. I hear you about the transition off of various walking aids. I am certainly at the stage of feeling the walker is getting in the way, especially in the kitchen, but not quite ready to let go (plus the OS wants me on it 'til 2 week point).

I had a shower in the hospital and another at rehab but think I'll wait until the OT person comes next week to attempt anything here. I'm really wishing I had a walk in shower--that might move up on my home improvement wish list.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom