Guest viewing is limited

THR Life in the fast (swim) lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tamra I was wondering where you were. Gone back to work. Well that does take up time!
Glad you are doing well!
 
@Krista Hello! Hope you are doing well. Happy Thanksgiving!
@gertie I do agree. Can never find a chair with arms. I always wait for toilet that is higher than the rest.
You know. Handicapped one. Happy turkey day!
 
@Tweetybrd I am always amazed at how you keep up with everyone giving well wishes for success.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
 
LOL that is because I really do wish everyone well AND that I don't/can't do a lot other then be on BS and watch tv and read. :shrug:

Happy Thanksgiving!:SUNsmile:
 
@SwimGirl, thanks for the shout-out! I've been home from the rehab facility for a couple of days and doing great! I'm having no pain, my biggest struggle is to keep resting and not do too much or get sloppy with the 20 pound weight bearing, so that my tendon repairs can heal properly. Went out to dinner tonight with my sister and husband, my first outing since the surgery on Oct 27 - had a lovely time! I'm almost caught up with mail, bills, unpacking, piles of papers. Sleeping great! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. My daughter is coming and she and my husband will make the dinner. I will help eat it! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
 
@SwimGirl. Showers on day 4 or day 1???? I had to wait for 2 weeks to take a shower! It was marine baths and spraying my hair in the kitchen sink. I went to the wrong surgeon it appears.

How is your hip doing where the stitches were lost? Feeling back to normal?

Are you traveling for Thanksgiving? Taking it easy? I'm going to cook for 8 but my daughter's fiance will cook half of the dishes.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans Too funny on statement about wrong surgeon. Ha! Ha! What a deciding factor. Whether or not they let you take a shower right away. I am staying home for Thanksgiving. It seems that both of my sisters have daughters who are expecting and they will be going to their homes. That is fine this year. I am still in recuperation mode and my own daughter and husband will visit. I went to PT last Friday and expressed concerns. He gave me simple but important exercises to strengthen muscles around hip. By now he said the internal sutures have dissolved and muscles are healed but now are weak. Feels a little rubbery in there but better each day. Then I told him my suture line puckered like a basset hounds face and he said the scar tissue was pulling it. Explained that if you place both index fingers on center of incision and pull outwards to end of scar both ways at same time that this would flatten out incision. I use wheat germ oil as this helps healing.
Glad I mentioned it while I was there.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy all the good food. I am only cooking for 6 and my daughter will be helping. I still use my cane to get around the house but by next month I hope to be strong enough to go without.
We will see. Hope you are in good health and are happy. God Bless! So thankful for BS friends!!!
 
You and your basset-hound's face, @SwimGirl! I hope it soon turns into a sleek greyhound visage, taut, neat and pretty. I did my first walk without my crutch yesterday (I always took it with me as a ....well, as a 'crutch'). Felt like a real milestone to leave it behind in the car. Eight weeks today since my op, feeling so good.

Hope all continues to heal well with you :-)
 
Wow! First walk without crutch. Congrats! You are doing fantastic postop. I have a Christmas party to go to in 3 weeks so I hope to be without my cane then. We will see. Might look strange but it is what it is. Had to laugh when a friend said to wear flats. Since OA flats have been a way of life. Never wore heels anyway! What was she thinking?
 
Thank you! I'm so grateful to be able to walk and enjoy the great outdoors again. My old left hip complains, but I know that will be fixed in time.

I reckon you'll glide into that party on your two beautiful new hips, cane-free and astound everyone with your poise and elegant walk.
 
@SwimGirl What a good goal, to be cane free for the holidays! Although is this a party when you're on your feet??? Might want to have it nearby? (Just projecting a bit here and I have a similar goal).
 
Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and your Bassett hound puckers are looking better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans Thank you! I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Getting around now but still using cane for my mind I think. I see OS soon and will see what he says. Now, new problem is my stomach could not handle the aspirin so now feel like I have an ulcer. Taking my slippery elm and probiotics and stopped the aspirin pronto. I took half the dosage for half the time of the aspirin. I know what I need to avoid in the way of food. Everything that I love.
Fried food, coffee, soda, chocolate, sweets and wine! I will be losing weight for the holidays! Not my first plan! Could not avoid blood thinners after surgery. I can do this!
 
@SwimGirl Oh no. Not the wine! Anything but the wine. Well, maybe not the chocolate. Glad the food and wine deprivation isn't dampening your humor.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans Another thing that will just take tincture of time. Now the legs are working and something else peters out. Oh well! I fill my pretty wine glass with cranberry juice and sip it like fine wine. What sense of humor?
 
Hello @Krista Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I stuffed myself with turkey and pumpkin pie! What was I thinking? I return to my OS on Dec. 5th for checkup again. Finally got past the ripped sutures. Took awhile with the extra trauma. Walking around house well but take the cane outside of house. How are you doing with weight bearing? Things getting easier I hope! Well, get out your new string of lights for Christmas! It is right around the corner! Better not pout!
 
@SwimGirl, Thanksgiving was great! I let my daughter and husband do the shopping, cooking and cleaning up. I stirred the gravy and made the pies the day before. We are now 4 weeks and 4 days out, and I am not allowed to try full-weight bearing or ditch the brace until 6 weeks. So I am counting the days! I'll still be using crutches/walker for awhile after the 6 weeks, so as not to unduly stress my gluteus medius/minimus muscles, which haven't done an honest day's work for 16 months now. I'm sure they are ultra weak, so will have to build up strength slowly.

I have the inside of my house decorated for Christmas, although we still may get a tree. I think we shouldn't, as the way we do it is a lot of work, which I won't be doing! Got some great news -- my son is coming for the holidays for 5 days. He lives 2,000 miles away and I haven't seen him since June of 2015. So excited!

I've been reading your posts, and see that you have a fairly easy family holiday meal planned, with plenty of help from others. We should all keep trying to live as stress-free as possible, both physically and emotionally. Enjoy your increasing mobility!
 
@SwimGirl. At my checkup with my OS the day before Thanksgiving he said he was amazed at my healing and recovery. My OS said I should ordinarily have 1-2 more checkups but that he was releasing me early. Yippee! However, he said that as my right hip starts failing, I should call for an injection to try to delay that replacement. Not sure if he will be the one doing the THR or not. I did find out the Cape Canaveral Hospital is out of network for my insurance and if I do the surgery in Florida, it will have to be at Wuesthoff Medical Center in Rockledge or I forget the hospital in Melbourne. Have you ever heard of either of them?

P.S. Back to drinking wine and eating chocolate yet?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom