THR Life in the fast (swim) lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine Thanks for combining my post op info. I was doing well on Friday afternoon or so I thought. I had so much swelling in my left hip down to my left knee that I wasn't confident on walker. I had trouble with weight bearing on left leg. This was odd since I just was evaluated by PT before discharge. Couldn't bear much weight til next afternoon. Am taking my Tylenol extra strength and aspirin 325mg. 2 times a day. Keeping ice on left hip and knee around clock. What happened?
 
@Josephine I am doing my exercises post op as ordered and have more mobility each time I do them so I don't think there is any dislocation. I can even do a slight pelvic tilt without discomfort or any clicking sounds. Does swelling really cause inability to bear weight?
 
@Krista Glad to know you are having a better experience. I had a problem with my blood pressure last month. It had to do with all the meds I received in surgery I believe. They kept me on IV fluid and I drank water like a camel. This time I did get more IV fluid in surgery. May take you a couple days to stabilize. How are the Halloween lights in your room?
 
I hope you feel better soon! Sounds like you were doing so swimmingly well :-) !

Lol trying to make u smile. Really, i hope u feel better.
 
@tamra My family has to remind me that they helped me lift my log leg last time. Also, that it took me a while to get my walker fired up for trips around the house. I just want to be where I was last month at 4 weeks right now! Gotta remember tincture of time! How are you getting along?
 
@SwimGirl - yes, tincture on time is the ticket. And don't overdose on exercise. I didn't and got on fine. If you hurt its a sign you're doing too much.
 
@tamra My family has to remind me that they helped me lift my log leg last time. Also, that it took me a while to get my walker fired up for trips around the house. I just want to be where I was last month at 4 weeks right now! Gotta remember tincture of time! How are you getting along?

I am a doer. One of those people that is always doing something. Trying not to do is draining lol. Probably overdoing but i log everything so taking it to surgeon appt wednesday (edited). He can advise. 7 day preop! Afraid to see incision. Looks a lot bigger than it was suppose to be as MI lateral. He had trouble getting the ball out of socket during my surgery tho.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@tamra ooh! Trouble getting ball out of socket. Sounds like he may have had to make a larger incision to avoid
A lot of manipulation. I should probably take notes also. My follow up in 10 days. This hip seems a little more difficult than right hip. Every surgery is different. Good luck at appointment.
 
@SwimGirl exactly what i think too. My grown kids were laughing about my hip having a big ball when OS talked to them after surgery. Surgery took almost an hr longer because of that. Apparently had a lot of stuff grown up over the ball (spurs etc). And the minimum invasive lateral i was suppose to have looks huge! Would explain the bad pain though.
 
Am taking my Tylenol extra strength and aspirin 325mg. 2 times a day.
Aspirin is neither here nor there, just an anti-clot medication. But you're taking Tylenol only twice a day? How many are you taking? And you're not even one week out yet so what happened to the other pain meds you were prescribed? If you can't take them for some reason, then at least take 1,000mg 4 times a day.
What happened?
Perhaps this .....
I am doing my exercises post op as ordered and have more mobility each time I do them so I don't think there is any dislocation.
"don't think there is any dislocation"!!! Gal, if you had a dislocation you wouldn't be thinking about it - you'd be on the floor screaming your head off for an ambulance!

As for the exercises, read this (and believe it!):
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Does swelling really cause inability to bear weight?
Not really. But swelling is a manifestation of pain so it's that which is causing you problems.
 
I hope you are feeling better this morning and your swelling is going down? Just wanted to pop in here and check on you. :)
 
@Tweetybrd Thank you for checking on me. I do have less swelling today and I am doing better. Just expected same outcome on this hip as right hip. Bummer! Have to take more Meds this time around.
 
@Josephine Thank you! I will start taking more for pain. Just got a little nervous about the swelling that seemed extreme this time around. Keeping ice going.
 
Hi, @SwimGirl! Sounds like you are doing well!

I am still in hospital on fourth day out. All is approved for a switch to rehab tomorrow by noon. My Halloween lights are in my rehab bag, which is at home. I'm going to try to get my husband to bring them when he comes to visit tonight! In the meantime, yesterday my daughter brought me six LED bracelets that flash different colors at different frequencies and are quite beautiful and cheerful! She also brought me gloves that flash in many different colors. They are all sparkling away in my room as I write this. So these things may have to do for my decorations!

I feel ridiculously good compared to after my THR last year. I feel such comfort and peace. There is such huge relief washing over me after all of the waiting and wondering and limping and hurting.

Keep on taking good care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Krista Sounds like they are treating you well in the hospital. Sounds like you have great decorations nonetheless! My kids got me bags of candy so I can't complain, but lights and flashing leds are so enchanting!
Hope your transfer to rehab is a positive move. Glad you are at peace this time around! You deserve it!
 
@tamra I am interested in what your OS has to report at your follow up visit! Keep us posted on your progress!
 
@Miss Muffet Today I decided to loaf all day. I could get used to this! Why not? Sit and eat candy. It is Halloween!
No exercises except up to the loo as you say! Taking it easy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom