Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

Christmas wishes to all. Will be spending this evening with granddaughter and her parents. Have been fortunate to be able to regain mobility after the past year. Blessings are many, to any/all who are still fighting to mend pre/post surgery "Good Luck" and encouragement. Do not give up & don't let "fear and common sense hold you back".
 
Seasons Greetings to you as well @SCaprae . You have been on quite a journey this year. Hope 2019 is your year to get back to active living again.
 
:dancing: Merry Christmas.
Hope your New Year brings you happiness and joy!
 
Merry Christmas!
Happy you're able to celebrate with those you hold near and dear, without any pain!
A gift in itself. Things are looking up, 2019 should be a great year for you!
@SCaprae
 
Happy New Year!
Hope it's a great year!
@SCaprae
 
Best wishes to all. It's shaping up to be a good year. Have made some furniture for Granddaughter's favorite doll & working on a toy box / storage chest for her as well.
Also had the opportunity to test placement and anchoring of hip parts last week (fell backwards from the second step of a ladder). X-rays and CT scan showed all parts well placed &no injury other than soft tissue (large hematoma only). Will be cleared & back to work by the end of the week.
Just can't pick my feet up as I used to. The new "normal".
 
Nice update....aside from the fall. :yikes:
That must have been unsettling until you got the "all clear." Hopefully the hematoma resolves soon.
I'll bet your grand daughter loves her doll furniture. A toy box should teach her organizational skills, bahahaha! The one thing they hate....picking up their own messes.
Try to stay vertical while you're awake in the New Year :wink:
@SCaprae
 
:wave:
Now you know falling is against the rules!:bignono:
So glad no permanent damage done.
Don't want to see you in "time out" so please do take care.
:ok:
 
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Recovered from my fall (even added 2 minor tumbles to test placement and how well the parts are fixed). Cleared last appointment from the major one It's looking like I am going to need "training wheels", kidding. The new normal is requiring that even after a long day/ fatigued: one must continue vigilance of ones surroundings and PICK YOUR FEET UP. Thank you again for being who you all are and for the time and effort devoted to helping others!!
 
It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you're doing well.
Just noticing that the one year anniversary of your revision is only two months away.
I'm sure the fact that it's still under a year has something to do with tiring easily. Plus we're not getting any younger and as much as we'd like to, we can't blame everything on hips that failed us, right? :heehee:

On behalf of BoneSmart, thank you for your kind words and for leaving an update. It's an inspiration to those following behind you and facing a revision, or moving through the recovery process after one.
A great rest of the week to you!
@SCaprae
 
:chuckmarch:pick them up like this, yes?

Glad to hear you have dodged some disasters...now be careful.:nah:
This is going to be a great summer..:SUNsmile:
 
Well...tomorrow is a big day. One year since your revision. It's been a long road, with many twists and turns, but it seems things are looking up. At least I hope so. How about you tell us something good....

Happy One Year Anniversary! Here's to many, many, many more :cheers:
@SCaprae
 
:wave:Hope all is well with you, friend.
A whole lot of waiting it out, I remember, and I hope it is paying off.
:ok:
 
Thank you. Doing well, PT for balance & strengthening legs (getting up from my knees is the toughest), recommended by Neurologist seen when looking for the cause of stumbling/falling. Have an EMG scheduled for Saturday to cross off periferal nerve trouble as a contributing factor to falls. Onward!!
 
Hmmm. I will be thinking of you Saturday.
Electromyography (EMG) involves inserting very fine needles into specific muscles to record their electrical activity at rest and during contraction. EMG tests irritability and responsiveness, detects abnormal muscular electrical activity in motor neuropathy, and can help differentiate between muscle and nerve disorders.
Maybe I need one of those to test my Irritability.:chinstroke:
 
Old dog, new trick: believe that I've gotten a taste of what a hip dislocation/partial dislocation feels like. It takes your breath away. Was very happy that I was able to put my socks on by myself (w/o appliance) though it did "pull" a little on the right side. Next sat in a chair to pull my boots on to go out to the car, when I pulled the right side "something moved". Took my breath away for a moment. Almost felt as if the hip returned to position. Range of motion unaffected though it was a bit tender the rest of the day. This morning it's a bit stiff. Note to self "don't do that"!! Will modify the way I put socks on. Making plans to visit friends in SW Arizona for a week or so and escape the spring snows, and mud that melting brings.
@SCaprae Just found your story and am just on page 6. I'm only reading your posts since all @Layla does is yell at us for doing too much! :eyebrows: I think the 'Infection' in the title caught my eye. I have a possible fungal Penicillium infection that I may be dealing with in the THR revision.
I found this post interesting. My first day released to drive, 13 days post revision, I forgot how to get my right leg into the car. I was absent-minded and tried to simply step up into the car. Something snapped in the front, just left of the incision. A shock of pain but I could still put weight on and was able to get into the car properly after just about 10 seconds. Scary few moments there. Still a little sore 3 days later but getting better!
 
With the infection it had a "fibrous" adhesion at the bottom end.
Ask any questions that remain or for more detail.
Prior to the recent revision, the original THR was in Sept of 2013. Started noticing some pain about 6-9 months ago..this led to the discovery that the stem was loose. Pre-surgery aspiration showed no infection. When doc removed the stem, he did so with almost no resistance! It was completely loose. While not planning to have to remove anything else, he did take the cup out as well, He described a lot of 'fibrous' junk he had to clean out. Again, no mention or signs of infection prior to the revision. He took 5 tissue and several blood samples during the procedure, all of which were negative. One week after the procedure, one of two samples set aside for fungal infection popped positive. Hmmmmm, 'fibrous'.
 
don't let "fear and common sense hold you back" and "progress can only be seen by looking backwards"
These are my two favorite quotes from your story! That and you being the President of the ODIC! I still fear @Layla most days! :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only reading your posts since all @Layla does is yell at us for doing too much! :eyebrows:

@inthebeginning
I believe SCaprae knows I mean well, I think you realize it also. I was a devoted follower of his journey. I don't want to see anyone suffer setbacks. I have a heart for people like you guys who through a complication require multiple surgeries and recoveries with the same hip. It could happen to any one of us. I haven't been here that long but I've read enough to understand how easily overdoing it causes a set-back in recovery.
Now go chill! :ice: Lol.

@SCaprae Thanks for the update.
Today is a milestone and occasion to celebrate. I hope the PT helps with balance and strengthening your legs.
Will be thinking of you on Saturday with the EMG. Let us know how it goes if you feel like sharing.
A great weekend to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom