Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

Will Be spending at least 1/2 of tomorrow getting a taste of returning to work. They called this morning to attend prep meetings for an upcoming Campus wide power outage. All good stuff & my mind has been "busy" all day. 30 plus buildings on a 100 acre contiguous Campus that is fed via 8 Feeders at 13,800 volts. The Power Company has a single point of connection w/ 2- 16 cylinder generators as back-up along w/ wind turbine interconnection. Looking forward to tomorrow!
 
I've been on Campus since 1987, employed directly by the College sonde 1991, know the place well. With the correct planning & execution all get to go home intact and safe. Need to generate a checklist for each location after identifying procedure to shut down and "ground out" main distribution and use all PPE's. Cannot "wing" something like this/ there is too much at stake & too big a chance for an oversight.
 
I know you've got this...just didn't know if you really meant you were looking forward to it.
With all your sitting and being patient, I'm sure you are ready to go and I'm sure they are grateful you will be there.
Glad you can.:)
 
I'll be taking notes & making lists. No physical labor & I did keep a couple tranadol if I have trouble going to sleep. All good.
 
Watt? Back already? Shocking! Sorry...couldn't resist :heehee:
Be careful. Hope you enjoy being back.
Let us know how it goes.
@SCaprae
 
It's good to feel useful again. Went in for a couple hours & got the first pass started w/ planning & task lists to be created. The outage will be in early August and involves 3 Electrical contractors & the same number of service companies. Preventive maintenance and cleaning of all electrical distribution equipment along w/ necessary modifications to 2 buildings ( that will be interconnected by a new Science complex) and be located on top of the New Energy Center (converting from boilers/heating, chillers/air conditioning to ground source heat pumps w/ multiple well field locations). The goal is to be carbon neutral in the near future as far as heating and cooling go.
Have received express instructions that I will be stationed at the Facilities building, in contact w/ all teams by radio & phone verifying that all tasks get completed. Would rather be a "worker bee" , but understand the role assigned.
 
I'm so glad you are back in the game...only 3 months after this last bout, so you'll be back to it.
That right hip has been a journey, right?
Hip Hip Hooray for getting back to life.:yahoo:
 
Yes, it's been a "journey ", not 1 that I would recommend or go on unless necessary. Though I am thankful and relieved to be closing in on the end. Without this option I would be "limping" around (at best) with both hips being an issue and quality of life would _ _ _ _. Finding this site and the compassionate people who are associated w/ it was also a bright spot.
 
Well, we're happy you found us.
We've learned through your journey and couldn't be happier that things are finally looking up for you.
Is been a long bumpy road but thankfully it's behind you now.
Keep stopping by, you still have a lot of healing to do and we'll have support to offer.
Hope your weekend is great! The weather sounds perfect.
I may even call a safety meeting on my deck tonight, lol.
It's been a long week for hubs with a sick dad in the hospital and the weather will be beautiful tonight.
Enjoy!
@SCaprae
 
Hi there :wave:
Wondering how you're doing? How many hours you're working these days and how you're holding up?
Shoot us an update if you're able. I hope you have a nice weekend. The heat and humidity return!
Oh Fall, where are you? :praying:
@SCaprae
 
Haven't been working too much, in for 3 meetings (5 hours in 2 weeks. The plan is "shaping up", a couple more meetings next week. There will be 3 Electrical contractors (3 crews from 1 , assigned projects for the others), an Electrical maintenance/service contractor (10 crews) cleaning/inspecting/lubricating 15KV equipment). This opportunity came about because of an ongoing 5 year new science facility project that includes conversion/construction of geothermal heating/cooling facilities.
Slated for full time return to work September 10. Am planning on a much needed trip up to bear camp later this month. A16'x20' 1 room cabin in Tetagough state park north of Silver Bay. No phones, electricity or running weather. Awesome!! It's about a 1/2 hour atv ride in from " civilization", a great spot to "get your mind right ".
 
Well you're taking it slow and that's a good thing. September 10th will be here soon enough.
It's wonderful you're doing so well.

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! So will you be hunting bear in this remote spot?' Tis the season.
I'm very familiar with that area as I've been more times than I can recall.
Easy getaway with a major change of scenery from the Cities. It's so beautiful up North! When it's blazing hot and humid down here I've many times wished I could jump in the car and drive to Grand Marais until it cools in the cities. We spent many vacays in the Tofte area as 18-19 yrs olds camping. Good memories. The scenic drive is always pretty also.

It's so great you can do all of this. I suppose at times you feel like you have a lot of catching up to do.
It's been a long journey for you. Enjoy your happy ending!
@SCaprae
 
Boy...so jealous for getaway unplug time.
Hope you have a great time!:thumb:
 
This area is a lottery for hunting liscenses, only 1 for us this year. When we began doing this it was decided that nobody would be up there alone , so we'll be support staff & sightseers. We try to leave the place in better condition than we find it. The liscense holder this year is a "newbie" & will be using a bow. For us filling a tag is a bonus & not essential for a "successful hunt". The first trip is to find & register hunting locations (3 per tag) and scout the area. The season begins September 1, am planning on some more time there the last week of August.
Also this is where my Grandfather used to take me deer hunting as a youth, brings many fond memories. This year I hope to be able to hike up to the overlook above bear & bean lakes/ it's been a while.
 
Sounds beautiful!
There's always a new wonderful surprise to see.

My favorite quote by Emerson

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
 
Sounds like the perfect escape for you. Re-living old memories and creating new ones.
Great hiking spots up there. I recall climbing Carlton Peak in Tofte. So beautiful at the end of September when the leaves are at their peak. LOVE!
 
Happy Friday!
I know someone is getting better (usually) when I have to go back a few pages to find their thread.
Hope that applies to you today. Wondering how your week went and if you have any big plans for the weekend.
How is that hip holding up?
@SCaprae
 
Things are going well. Work hasn't really amounted to much so far, 5-7 hours of meetings over the last 2 weeks. We're about there w/ planning and the date is approaching. The hip is getting stronger (must look backwards to see progress), have been "testing " it and my limitations. Have had to go look for my cane more frequently last week (good feeling), will put it away in the near future. Stained the house, deck (only railing, spindles left) and changed out some parts on the outdoor portion of the AC. Doing well & getting easier to get up from kneeling , not totally pain free but manageable and lessening. Life is good!
 
Man oh man is that good to hear, as you have had such a long journey with that right hip.
Life IS good!:yes!:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom