Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

Feeling "pressure /aching" in lower rear pelvis area. What I believe to be the screws used to secure new cup into place.
Your screws are perfectly placed, SCaprae. No problems with them at all.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Follow up appointment has been scheduled: August 10 / 12 weeks post surgery. They tell me that what I am experiencing will diminish with time. Waiting to hear what employers HR people have to say a leve of absence ends in the 26th of this month.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1 antero -lateral - the first was done this way and they went through original scar for the rest.

2 pain level is about 2-2½ increases with activity

3 2x500 mg Tylenol 4 times daily
2-325 mg aspirin daily
5mg oxy and 50 mg Tramadol that I did not take.
If pain is greater I start with ½ Tramadol at night.

4 no longer icing. Change positions, move around & gentle massage.

5 elevate when I sit, mostly stretch out on the bed. No swelling for quite some time.

6 fairly active(walking) , some shopping, house chores. Have begun to use a cane instead of 1 crutch.

7 Presently no physical therapy as per instructions.

I do stretches 6-8 times a day to regain range of motion.
And am working on bearing more weight.
Was told that they wanted the muscle to fully heal back after being stitched back into place.

Next appointment just scheduled for August 10, was told pain would diminish.
 
Oh well - nothing there for me to give an opinion on. Thanks anyway.
 
Well....it sounds like you're progressing just as you should. Wonderful news!
Hope you have a nice evening.
@SCaprae
 
Thanks all. Yes, is a pleasant evening.
 
Hopefully HR will want you to be totally clear...tell them to hold their tater!
I don't know if I've ever heard someone giving all the right responses, so take that as a Good thing!
Hope this is all the beginning of the end of all this hip drama!
:ok:
 
Last edited:
Overdid it some yesterday, walked around Fleet Farm and Lowes (had a list) in Owatonna and cut the lawn. Paid the price with some stiffness and didn't sleep the best. Could be much worse & will work thru this. The lawn needs to be mowed troday. Have the coffee on.

Neighbors lawn today.
 
You just have to wait until you can see the lawn:mcoffee:
 
Good Morning, Happy Night Wanderer.
I like coffee in the morning too, but not at 3:00am :heehee:
Wondering if you ice? Please consider it if you don't. I think it will help.
Hope you're sleepy tired today and take a snooze :yawn: :sleep: On ice :ice:
@SCaprae
 
Actually I usually wind up napping after my coffee, limit myself to 1 cup(32 oz with French vanilla creamer - my big indulgence). Get 2 cups from a 12 cup pot, only have it in the mornings. I started getting up early as a youth (we would begin milking cows at 4:30 sharp), occasionally had difficulty rising but after the cows were gone (1984) began waking up earlier. It's actually the best part of each day (fewer people to mess it up) and I enjoy the time to "think".
Slow getting moving, but walking it off & here we go.
 
You're a riot! How do you sleep after all that caffeine? It must not affect you...

I have an appreciation for waking earlier in the warmer months once it's light and I hear the birds chirping.
I walked into the grocery store at 6:30 am this morning. That was sure nice....beating the crowds.

Hope the stiffness wears off as the day wears on. Try to take it easy. Are you familiar with the ODIC?
It's what we refer to around here as The Overdid It Club. I think you cracked the door, please don't kick it open.
A great day to you!
@SCaprae
 
No, I was not familiar with the ODIC. Though I almost feel like a "charter member" not only for hip procedures.
Took it easy yesterday, was able to walk off the stiffness, still accomplish tasks outdoors. Next on the list is putting in new wire for the invisible fence. Ruby (6 month old German Sheppard) has shown that it is necessary. She has been a constant companion throughout this process, but I'm not able to come to terms w/ showing her the boundary lines. She is "interested" in everything, will be able to roam her turf when complete. Should hear back from HR today what the status/requirements for return to work will be.
 
Good Morning,
Glad you're feeling better, or at least not as stiff. :happydance:

I understand not wanting to put the collar on Ruby but if you want to keep her, and keep your neighbors happy, you'll get through it. We have an invisible fence and while the dog knows his boundaries he is also aware of when he's free to run without worry. And he does take off. Hubs either has to drive and find him or he comes walking back with his head hanging, tail between his legs. They're so funny!!

Did your sister schedule her knee surgery yet.....or is she still struggling with that decision?
Take it easy today. I think the ODIC has vacancies, poor ratings though....I'd stay away.
@SCaprae
 
Yes, talked w/ my sister yesterday & her knee replacement is set for July 2. Also learned that her husband will be having a torn meniscus cleaned up on the 27th if this month. Will be sharing some of the necessary equipment (that I am no longer using) with them. Walker, crutches, sock appliance, grabber, etc. She goes for orientation later this week & is a bit apprehensive.
 
I don't blame your sister for feeling apprehensive. I was too. I visited with a nurse for my pre-op and was pleasantly surprised that I'd have no restrictions and would be discharged 23 hrs post op. It was some good news with all the anxiety swirling in my head. Pre surgery is a nervous time. I recall you told your sister about BoneSmart. If she doesn't want to become a member, encourage her to at least read some threads, hopefully it will ease her mind. I was a longtime lurker and still credit BoneSmart members stories as what gave me the courage to schedule my surgery.

Walker, crutches, cane, sock thingy....good riddance. I kept the grabber within reach as I used it for a while longer. Hope your day is good!
@SCaprae
 
Hi there,
How's the weekend so far?
Hopefully you're taking it easy after your stint in the ODIC this week...
Hope you have a nice weekend! Cloudy, hot and humid here. Yuk!
I'm sure you're the same.
@SCaprae
 
Back
Top Bottom