TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

I completely concur with Celle's recommendations. Call the office and tell them your swelling is out of sight and you want an appointment with your surgeon. If the admin scheduler won't make that appointment for you, ask who in the office has the authority to make that decision and then request to speak with them. The way you are being treated is totally unacceptable. Please let us know how this works out. If they totally refuse there are other avenues you may be able to take to resolve your concerns. They are valid and you have every right to expect an answer for all this.
 
I saw it on the PA's computer and noticed a big glob of something in my leg that is not in the bone. When I asked the PA about it, he said that it is bone cement that leaked out of the bone because a hole had been blown out in my bone due to the pressure when they were putting the bone cement in the bone.
I think perhaps your perception of it being a 'big glob' might be misconstrued. Can you get a copy of that xray and post it for me? There is no doubt this should not have happened but until I see the actual size of it, I cannot really count further. It really depends upon where the extruded cement is and how big it is. Most extrusions are actually no bigger than the end of your thumb.
I am very concerned about this because they made no mention of this complication so it seems to me that they are hiding something.
It's not exactly a complication.
Am I in serious trouble? Can you walk around with a big glob of bone cement in your leg? What if some breaks off? Could I have a stroke? What should I do!?
Don't panic! It won't break off. I've tried to break set bone cement with a hammer and chisel and it's just too strong and tough! Therefore you won't have a stroke and there is no need for you to do anything.
I am sensitive to bone cement. Could the swelling be because of this cement that is in the wrong place?
Unlikely though I do need to see the xray before saying that with any conviction.
OMG! I truly am frightened. Shouldn't they have stopped the leaking before they closed me up?
Bone cement is a curious substance. It comes in a packet of power and a glass capsule of fluid which are mixed together during the operation. It goes from the substance of double cream to very soft plasticine at which point it is used to embed the implant. After that, it continues to cure into something akin to a pencil eraser then becomes very hot and sets to the hardness of marble. This all happens within the space of about 8 minutes. I can assure you that during that time, nobody moves a muscle in order to avoid the implants from moving. We always kept a bit of the excess mix back so we knew where it was at. No wound closure was started until this sample was completely cured/solid.
 
Josephine, Celle, and Jamie, what a true blessing you are to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comments. I am alone and I was frightened to have the revision in the first place. I have a long distance friend who feels that I should hire a medical advocat. I really do not have the energy to fight my way out of a paper bag right now so all that I really want to do is whatever is necessary to protect myself.

Josephine, I am so grateful that you are well enough to answer my concerns. I feel confident if you think that this situation is not as bad as I have envisioned that I will more than likely be OK. I do not have a copy of the X-ray but I am sure that I can obtain one. It will take me at least three weeks because I am still in the rehab hospital and can't get out to pickup the X-ray. Once I get it, I will try to figure out how to send it to you. That might be the biggest challenge as I have never sent anything like that online.

Once again thank you so much! I had what they think was an anxiety attack last night I was so frightened. Your explanation took away my anxiety. What a blessing!
 
I’m glad you’re feeling more at ease.
:console2:

All these aspects we un-medical people don’t understand scare us. I hope your care givers at rehab are kind to you and understanding.
 
This site is a blessing to so many people! I'm glad that you are feeling more at ease now and know that there's nothing much to worry about! I would have been scared, too! Now, we have all learned something new!
 
Josephine, Celle, and Jamie, what a true blessing you are to me.
Oh, didn't you know - we are the BoneSmart angels!
[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity
[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity
[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity
 
Your xray should be given to you on a CD. You should be able to upload the image just as you would a photo or possibly email it to Jo. Don't worry....we'll be able to help you once you get the copy. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling a bit more relaxed. This is a big deal for you and it's perfectly understandable that you'd be a bit anxious if you weren't getting your concerns addressed. Please don't hesitate to post here when you need to talk. We're here for you.
 
Thanks Jamie. Having the revision was a real risk. I need to be better though. I am disappointed that my rom went down from 80 and is now hovering at 75. No matter how hard tha I work I can't get it to budge. I have a hard knot in my thigh just above the joint in the back of the knee. That along with what I am guessing is a bakers cyst back there is making it difficult. My physical therapist told me tha the average rom at 4 weeks is 90 so I am behind. The reason I had the revision is because my rom was so bad. My back was hurting me because I was carrying myself funny due to the knee. If I can't improve the rom, I will have subjected myself to another major surgery and major expense for nothing. I am so scared that it isn't going to get better. I have lived the last five years since the first replacement in pain. I just need it to stop and get better. I appreciate your kindness and truly am thankful that I have the Bonesmart resource. I haven't been able to get the straight story anywhere else.
 
No matter how hard tha I work I can't get it to budge.
Stop trying! You’ve heard the saying “the harder I try the behind-er I get” or something like that.

You still have a lot of swelling. None of us can bend well with a lot of swelling.
My physical therapist told me tha the average rom at 4 weeks is 90 so I am behind.
First of all he/she said “average” which means middle which means some have less and some have more. Furthermore, we are all different and there is no “behind”.

I lose respect for physical therapists more every day. Most do not understand knee replacement, many have a one size fits all rehab plan and too many tell their patients incorrect information regarding the knee replacement they know very little about. And yet they all speak with an authority they do not deserve, I don’t care how many years of school they’ve had.

Please try to relax. Stop working so hard to bend. You are very early in this long recovery. You have lots of time to improve and where you are now is not where you will end up.

It’s not exercising that gets our ROM, it’s time:

Time to recover
Time for pain and swelling to settle
and Time to heal.

Your ROM is right there all along just waiting for that to happen. In this recovery less work/exercise is more!

Continue to rest, ice and elevate so your leg can heal and the swelling can come down.

Read other journeys on here and you’ll see you are not alone. :console2:
 
No matter how hard tha I work I can't get it to budge.
The harder you work, the more swelling you'll have. Just use it in your daily activities. Stop working it!

My physical therapist told me tha the average rom at 4 weeks is 90 so I am behind.
Nope, I disagree with that. Most OS don't even look for 90 until 6 weeks. Stop worrying so much. As you heal, your bend will increase.
 
My physical therapist told me tha the average rom at 4 weeks is 90 so I am behind.

You’re not behind. :console2: You’re exactly where you are and your knee is exactly where it is. Here’s something that happened to me, not with my knees, but with a non-healing wound I had several years ago. The wound specialist needed to try a new treatment because the first hadn’t gotten the result we wanted. I asked why my wound was so far behind in healing.

“It’s healing as fast as it can,” the doctor explained. “We’re going to see what we can do to help it heal faster.”

You see, *I* wasn’t behind. Neither was my body or the healing. We just needed to improve the situation so the body could step up the healing. I ended up with a wound vac and a new packing material that helped the wound, finally, heal.

It’s the same with your knee. It’s healing as fast as it can. Look at what might be getting in its way. Swelling. And the main cause of swelling is too much exercise. Have you tried NOT exercising for several days? Just rest. Elevate. Ice. Eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. Let your body, and knee, have just one job: heal itself.
 
SusieShoes, thank you for your explanation. I am so anxious about my knee situation. I vowed that I would follow the doctor's program to the best of my ability because I don't want to be crippled up anymore. He sent me to a rehab hospital and apparently Medicare requires that I do 2 hours of physical therapy per day to pay for the hospital stay. I have wondered if the pt was only exacerbating my swelling and if it is too much but at first I thought that was the doctor's way of accelerating the healing. Now I am not so sure. I am supposed to go home on Monday and will start in-home care. The pt will be much less intense so that will probably help. Thanks for your feedback. It is well taken. I know that we are all different but yesterday I was working on the Newstep machine and the lady next to me was only a few days out from the surgery and having no trouble bending her knee. I was discouraged as I have had so much problem with my knee replacement. I don't know why one can be so good and another so bad. I am very discouraged

Jockette, Thanks for the references. I will take a look at them.
 
I vowed that I would follow the doctor's program to the best of my ability because I don't want to be crippled up anymore. He sent me to a rehab hospital and apparently Medicare requires that I do 2 hours of physical therapy per day to pay for the hospital stay. I have wondered if the pt was only exacerbated my swelling and if it is too much but at first I thought that was the doctor's way of excellerating the healing.

I too went to a rehab hospital for a week after my surgery. They required 3 hours of PT (one of which was occupational therapy) a day. So two hours of physical exercises. I had read BoneSmart extensively prior to surgery, so I had a plan in my head about what I would and would not do. I just never forced my knee, especially if it was sore. I would do the minimum needed to get through my exercises; I did not pull all the way on any straps, just did enough to move the knee a bit. I refused some when they caused pain. I loved the walking, though, and told the PTs that, so we ended up walking more. Mostly I used PT as a way to get out and about and socialize with the PTs and other patients. That's how I got through it.

It's natural for us to want to trust our surgeons and therapists. They have training we don't. But surgeons aren't experts in recovering from TKR. They read a lot about it, but otherwise they have to trust unreliable reports from PTs (who want to look good) and patients (most of whom do all right on PT or at least want their surgeons to think so). PT works really well for some patients; for others, not so well... but the surgeon may not hear much about the latter or about alternative paths of recovery. PT certainly isn't going to tell them or write papers for publication that don't include lots of PT!

So while we hope to follow our surgeon's program, sometimes we have to... tweak it a bit. The end goal is not to have survived PT or be able to say "I followed orders." It is to get rid of pain and regain a functional knee.

I know that we are all different but yesterday I was working on the Newstep machine and the lady next to me was only a few days out from the surgery and having no trouble bending her knee. I was discouraged as I have had so much problem with my knee replacement. I don't know why one can be so good and another so bad.

I had a good recovery and I was that lady. Not that very one, but "that patient" who had good ROM right away and made other patients in PT cry. Literally. One woman broke out in tears when she saw me doing the same exercise and I had more bend. I felt horrible. She had also had BTKR and we were both doing the best we could. But she got discouraged.

We tell people not to compare knees because of this. Someone else ALWAYS has better (fill in the blank). Bend. Extension. Strength. Less swelling. Less pain. Incision appearance. You name it, someone is acing whatever you are not. I sigh enviously over some of the quick recoveries I read about! I had a good one myself. There's always someone who makes it look easy.

No one knows why some people have an easier time of recovery than others. I personally think PT is over-emphasized, and yet I also know people -- in my own family -- who did their PT religiously and had good results. I did the least PT I could get away with and I too have great new knees. I think it comes down to what works best for you. Your knee will tell you what is working! Mine were happy with very little PT and lots of walking. My mother did the stationary bike and no PT, and now she can sit on her feet. How did that happen? I can't sit on my feet.

I guess I'm saying to trust yourself. You're smart and you care. You can understand what your knees are saying about how much exercise to do. Once you trust that, you can relax and let recovery happen. It takes as long as your knee needs. :console2:
 
Thank you for your sage advice. I have been blamed in the past for the failure of my first tkr. Family members and friends and even my family physician have said, "if you would have lost more weight or exercised harder you would have had a better result." Because of thosekinds of shaming statements, I was bound and determined to follow the program even if it killed me (not literally). What you have written about limiting the exercise makes complete sense. I started today to just do the minimum to get by in this rehab without hurting myself and giving my knee a chance to recover. Thank heavens I will be going home on Monday after 30 days here.

I try not to compare myself to others but I fell prey to it this time. I too was in tears when I saw another bending so far right out of the starting gate. I have no other choice but to just keep on doing the best that I can without hurting myself. What someone else does is really irrelevant

Thanks again. I am going to keep your post for future reference if I start to feel discouraged again.
 
On a different subject, I wonder why I have so much more swelling than the first time around? Would a sensitivity to the zirconium in the implant show right away with a lot of swelling? I had an llt test and tested high nonreactive to zirconium. I spoke to a scientist in the lab that did my allergy testing and he said that even if I develop a sensitivity and end up the in the low reactive stage, doctors aren't too worried about it. I was nonreactive to vanadium and molybdenum before my first tkr but became low reactive after the oxiniium knee was installed. I hate it when doctors say no one is allergic to a substance. I was told that once as I was going into anaphylactic shock from a medicine. I am truly worried that I am allergic to my implant.
 
After what you’ve gone through, your anxiety about metal allergy is understandable. We all worry about it to a degree, but you’ve had a revision because of it. So of course that’s in the back of your mind.

Lots of people are slightly reactive to metals and have successful joint replacements. I react to costume jewelry, so got myself tested prior to my surgery. I’m slightly reactive to nickel and highly reactive to gold. There’s no gold in my implants... but there is nickel.

My allergist explained that a slight reactivity would not produce a problem. He went into quite a lot of detail, but it boils down to different types of tissue are more or less sensitive. His explanation made sense to me. Also, I have had dental implants of the same material lodged in my jawbone for years.

Give your implant a little time to settle down. It’s been stressed by lots of activity, daily, for weeks! That is the most likely cause of the swelling. It makes sense to address the most likely thing first. :yes: Especially once you get home on Monday, you can direct your recovery toward gentle exercises only and lots of rest, elevating, and icing. Elevation is wonderful for reducing swelling; you can elevate as much as you want, even sleep with your leg up at night.

Much of the time the simplest answer is the right one.
 
I have been blamed in the past for the failure of my first tkr. Family members and friends and even my family physician have said, "if you would have lost more weight or exercised harder you would have had a better result."
Don't you just love all those 'arm-chair doctors' that know so how we are to rehab from a tkr. If they haven't been through it, they have no idea what you are going through. That's why Bonesmart is such a wonderful site. We have all been through a tkr!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom