TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

The PA explained to me that the xray appeared different than other xrays because it was like a negative. It was very black different than any xray I had ever seen before which allowed the particles of cement to show in my leg. He may have been able to accomplish the dark black color through his computer. All I know is it was more vibrant and allowed one to see the numerous particles of bone cement in my leg which can't be seen on a regular xray.

As far as infection, I did not have the revision because I had an infection. I could not bend my leg after a time and apparently an inordinant amount of scar tissue had developed which caused my inability to bend my knee and thus the revision was suggested. I had difficulty walking because I could not bend my knee and I was developing back pain. The doctor was surprised to see so much scar tissue as it had not shown up on the MRI studies that I had. He had me go through a course of radiation treatment before the surgery to inhibit the growth of scar tissue in the future. He wrote in the operative report that he had to use special tools, I forgot what they were called but they were some kind of knives, to cut out all of the scar tissue and apparently the scar tissue came out with some difficulty. That was why my knee wasn't bending.

Meanwhile, somehow a hole in my bone was made and the cement leaked into my leg tissues. Now I have lesions on my internal organs and that is what I am very concerned about.
 
Meanwhile, somehow a hole in my bone was made and the cement leaked into my leg tissues. Now I have lesions on my internal organs and that is what I am very concerned about.
I understand this, my dear. What I am trying to say is that bone cement is used freely in various tissue situations and so far as I know, has never caused any problems such as you've described. It is, to use the medical parlance, biologically inert.
 
One reason I suspected the bone cement is because I tested nonreactive to bone cement the first two allergy tests but reactive after the bone cement leak. If it isn't the bone cement, then perhaps the implant is the culprit. I hope that I will be able to find a doctor who will be willing to figure this problem out. I hope that it isn't the bone cement because there are thousands of tiny pieces of it in my leg and who knows if they have travelled to other parents of my body similar to a sliver working its way out.
 
I’m so sorry you are going through this. It is very scary indeed. :console2:
 
It does sound like you may need a second opinion if your current OS won't explain and seems evasive. Have you seen an internal medicine doctor or organ specialist?
 
I don't have much to offer in this case, but my surgeon mentioned there ARE people who are more sensitive to the bone cement, so he tries to use as little as possible. I won't give you the whole conversation, but he's seen people that had definite issues with it. He's a reconstruction and revision specialist who gets to see (and revise) a lot of problematic TKRs, so I figure he knows what he's talking about.
 
What kind of problems will you experience if you try to find a second opinion surgeon? You'd need to find one totally independent of your current doctors. Will that be a problem with your insurance? I might be able to help you find a surgeon near San Diego.
 
Kneeper, I have seen two internal doctors but they were focusing on the possibility of Valley Fever.

I have an appointment at the end of Sept with a doctor at UCLA. He is a friend of the OS who did my surgery so I am concerned about whether he will be willing to honestly address the problem. Other than that I don't know who else to see.

Jamie, San Diego is pretty far from me but if you have a referral down there, I would be happy to look into it.

BTW what kind of doctor is an internal organ doctor, Rockgirl4? Where is the doctor you are referring to and what is his/ her name? Thanks.
 
I know internal medicine docs are in a sense GPs but my understanding (which could be wrong) is they're a bit more well versed in diseases of adults. Depending on what organs you have affected there may be specialists for that part of the body.
 
Anyone I could find would be an orthopedic surgeon. Maybe it's a better idea to try and find some type of internal medicine specialist instead. That specialty would be a thoracic surgeon.
 
Ok. Thanks. I am hoping that doctors at either UCLA, USC, or Cedars Sinai will be able to figure this out. I just have to keep turning over rocks until I find one.
 
Yes....absolutely! Never, ever give up hope and keep looking and asking until you find the right person to help you.
 
Thanks Jamie. I am very discouraged and feel like giving up. I tried so hard to seek out good doctors for both of my knee surgeries and neither turned out well. The last thing I ever wanted to do is start this battle all over again. It can be very discouraging.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom