TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

Thank you so much! My doctor still does not want to admit that it is an infection but he did add another antibiotic and after only a day and a half it looks better. I am sorry I don't know what U/S means.
 
Oh I think I figured out thatU/S means ultrasound. I can't get the X-ray that shows the large amount of bone cement that leaked in my knee because now the doctor says it doesn't exist. That is very telling. I am going to have to go to another doctor and have my leg xrayed again. Once I get back to California I will search out a doctor there to evaluate the problem of bone cement in my leg. Thanks again for figuring out that I have cellulitis. I thought so.
 
Is it likely that my implant is now infected since this has gone on for so long, seven weeks? I have been on three ten day rounds and now they are starting a fourth of Bactrim and now they have added Ceftin. Do you know if these antibiotics will adequately treat cellulitis? The doctor still has not admitted that I have an infection yet he prescribed antibiotics. Should I be seeking out an infectious disease doc asap?
 
My doctor ran a Sed rate by modified Westergren blood test. It was only high by 1 point so he says no infection. I had a 31. Normal is less than or equal 0 - 30. He thinks that I don't have an infection because of this test. I am pretty sure that I do. Does anyone know if the test did not reflect the true story because I am on antibiotics? II am feeling that I should seek out a different doctor. Would it be an infectious disease doctor? I don't think he is even giving me the correct antibiotics. Funny that he is giving me antibiotics if he doesn't think that I have cellulitis. I looked up cellulitis and viewed pictures of what it looks like and I am almost sure this is what I have and now it is spreading up the incision. I think that I am in danger.
 
Last edited:
Is it likely that my implant is now infected since this has gone on for so long
Implants are not biological so they don't get infected!
The doctor still has not admitted that I have an infection yet he prescribed antibiotics.
Sounds like he's using the 'just in case; credo!
Does anyone know if the test did not reflect the true story because I am on antibiotics?
Almost ineveitably
I am feeling that I should seek out a different doctor. Would it be an infectious disease doctor?
It would.
I think that I am in danger.
I very much doubt it. Your leg didn't look that grave.
 
Ok that is a relief. What do they mean when a person gets an infection? Is it not referred to as an infection in the knee? I have been concerned because I have had this problem for over 7 weeks now. Since the cellulitis is right over the implant, am I at risk of the infection lodging on the knee or whatever They call it?
 
Most skin infections stay restricted to the skin and the underlying fat and don't get into the knee capsule. Your surgeon is taking some sensible precautions, just in case. An infectious disease doctor, or a doctor who specializes in wound care, would be a good idea. I'd want that cleared up too!
 
Thanks Susie. Because the infected part is right on top of the implant and there isn't much more than skin next to it, I have been concerned. I had wondered if this was a reaction to the implant or even spilled bone cement. It doesn't seem to be getting better with the antibiotics.
 
@ucsbgal1971, since you have metal allergies, what type of implant did the ortho use this time? Do you know if you are/were allergic to the bone cement too?
 
He used an Aesculap knee and yes, I am allergic to bone cement. The doctor blew a hole in my leg bone and bone cement leaked into my leg. I am almost 3 months out and am suffering from a chemical burn like allergic reaction under my skin around the knee from either the bone cement or the glue that he used to close the incision. It feels as if someone has poured scalding water on my skin yet at the same time it itches so badly that I feel as if I want to tear off my skin sometimes. Be sure to checkout if you are allergic to bone cement and glue before you have your surgery.
 
My doctor told me to come back in four months and then as he said, I will be receiving my diploma and won't need to see him again. That means he will only follow me for six months even though I still have a problem. Is this normal? I thought that you see a doctor about once a year after the initial doctor visits. I would really be interested in hearing how often others see their doctors and for how long. Thanks.
 
You know what? It sounds to me as if you have lost faith in your surgeon, and I don't blame you.
When he sees you in 4 months' time, if he says that he doesn't want to see you again, please ask for that in writing.
Also ask for copies of all your notes and X-Rays. You are entitled to those.

I'm thinking that you need to look for another surgeon and many surgeons won't take on another surgeon's patient until a year has passed since the surgery. They don't want to be accused of poaching another surgeon's patient.

However, if you surgeon officially signs you off, I'd say your would be free to look for a second opinion. That's when you'll need those copies of your notes and all your tests, to show to a new surgeon.

If you're looking for a new surgeon, look for one who specializes in "problem" knees. These surgeons specialise in dealing with knees that have proved difficult for the original surgeon to fix.
You'll need a surgeon who has no connection, either social or professional, with your current surgeon so that he/she can look at your knee with new eyes and form an independent opinion.
 
Yes, I have completely lost faith in him. It has been a nightmare. I will be going back to my home in California from Nevada where I had the revision. I was hoping a surgeon would see me since I moved to a new state. I don't have the faintest idea where to go. I was turned down by several doctors in California and no one worked with the Aesculap knee that I could find so I ended up calling the company that makes the Aesculap knee and they referred me to my doctor in Nevada.

Why would I get it in writing, if he releases me? Would a new doctor require a written release?

This whole experience has been terrible. I wish that I didn't have the surgery. It is so upsetting I can't write about it.
 
I think a written release might help assure a new surgeon that there’s no ongoing relationship with your first surgeon so therefore no trespass. It might not be enough but it certainly can’t hurt. Also, legally, it’s proof your surgeon dismissed you instead of being able to say later that you never went back for follow-up.

My surgeon saw me for a six week and one year checkup. He wants to see me again in five years. I had a normal, even very good, recovery. There’s still good reason to check on things down the road, like possible spacer wear and tear.
 
I forgot to answer you comment about post op visits. I had what I consider a lot: 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 18 weeks (which was 4 months) 7 months and then one year. We talked about another appointment 7 months later, but I won’t make that appointment. He had nothing to offer me at this point.

I wonder if he saw me so often, and took X-rays every time, if he was watching my Patellofemoral very closely.
 
I thought that you see a doctor about once a year after the initial doctor visits. I would really be interested in hearing how often others see their doctors and for how long. Thanks.
My OS saw me once per year for the first couple of years. At the last visit he said every 3 years, so I see him next year. I think that's mainly because I had cementless and he wants to monitor things, though all my checks have been good.
 
I thought turning me loose after just six months was a bit early especially with the problems that I am having. Sometimes I wonder if I am walking under a cloud. Why do I always end up with problems! Very discouraging! I tried to get my medical records from the hospital and though Medicare was billed for an ultrasound, and an ultrasound to determine the extent of the leak would make sense to me especially since I saw drips and globs of the stuff in my leg on an X-ray, the hospital has no record of an ultrasound. Either the doctor is hiding something or there has been fraudulent Medicare billing. I tend to think he is hiding something since he never mentioned the complication. In fact, he came out from the surgery and told my friend that there no complications. I am in such a depression over this I don't have the energy to deal with it. I went to so many doctors in California and none of them wanted to touch another doctor's work. It was an expensive proposition for me to move to Nevada to have the surgery. I don't think that I have the energy or resources to try to move yet again. I am overwhelmed and just sit and cry all of the time. I don't know what has happened to me. I have never been like this before. I guess it has been a long five years of suffering with the first knee. The idea of ongoing problems with the new knee is just too much to take!
 
I wish I had an answer for you. :console2:

I have a partial I would like answers about and I am beginning the search and yes, it’s very discouraging.
 
Thank you Jockette. I think this type of surgery is like that old poem. "When she was good, she was very very good. But when she was bad she was horrid." I would even settle for mediocre. : (
 
Back
Top Bottom