TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

Yes, indeed. They have no clue. The lady who is doing so phenomenally well in the rehab is heavier than I am by a long shot. I am beginning to think that weight doesn't have much to do with it. I am not listening to armchair advice anymore unless it comes from those who have actual experience.
 
I am glad, SusieShoes, that your doctor too thinks that a mildly reactive response will more than likely be ok too. Thank you for sharing that with me. It is comforting when a person hears the same thing from different sources. I think that elevation is one of the big keys. I remember that Night Quilter wrote that she would put her leg up high on the wall and read a book. Her doctor was amazed how little swelling she had. I am going to try that as soon as I go home. I so appreciate your comments. It is helping me to calm down. I didn't have a panicky feeling after my first surgery but I do have it this time. It think it is because a doctor told me that I would end up with an amputation if I had a revision.
 
I have a suggestion for whatever it is worth. I am not sure where to write it but wouldn't it be easier when coming to a thread if the most recent posts would show first and the later last. I have nineteen pages of posts and I wonder if people are seeing what I am posting because my new posts are buried at the end. I have not used this site I a while and need to refresh myself how it works. Maybe new posts are reflected somewhere else as well but when you come to a thread it seems as if you have to wade through all the other old posts.
 
I have been blamed in the past for the failure of my first tkr. Family members and friends and even my family physician have said, "if you would have lost more weight or exercised harder you would have had a better result.

Don't you just love armchair surgeons? Unless your family member is in the medical profession, and even then in orthopedics, they have no clue what might have or have not entered into your recovery results.

Lots of things matter in TKR, and weight is a consideration, as are exercise and age, your natural healing abilities, and access to support so you can have a more relaxed recovery and don't HAVE to do things too much or too soon. How were they as a support team?

I am beginning to think that weight doesn't have much to do with it.

Weight has very little to do with it. The parts that have to do with weight fall under the category of "things to be decided by the surgeon and medical team." Successful recoveries have far more to do with things other than the patient's body weight.

It think it is because a doctor told me that I would end up with an amputation if I had a revision.

That was a callous thing for the doctor to say. Amputation after TKR is very rare. You were smart to leave that one in your rearview mirror!
 
If we stay current with a thread we are automatically taken to the newest thread at the end.

If it’s been a while or it’s an older thread and it takes me to the first post, I just click on the last page and scroll down to the new post.

The thread needs to be chronological so that it reads like a book. Backwards would be very confusing. At least it would be for me! :heehee:
 
I have a suggestion for whatever it is worth. I am not sure where to write it but wouldn't it be easier when coming to a thread if the most recent posts would show first and the later last. I have nineteen pages of posts and I wonder if people are seeing what I am posting because my new posts are buried at the end. I have not us d this site I a while and need to refresh myself how it works. Maybe new posts are reflected somewhere else as well but when you come to a thread it seems as if you have to wade through all the other old posts.

The reason for having the posts chronological is that people new to the forum can read the member's entire thread more easily, following a recovery journey that interests them. Reading backwards through a thread is much more difficult (I've done this and it's annoying).

Have you noticed the Page line at both the top and bottom of the post and comment section? It allows visitors to click to the end or beginning of threads. If you are actively reading a thread, you will find that when you next click on that thread it will take you to where you left off. :) Here's a section on How to Use the Forum that will show you other useful tips.
 
Thanks I need to read that. I don't think it has taken me back to where I left off because I keep having to go to page 19. I probably am not doing something right. I am not very technically savvy. Will read your reference. Hopefully that will bring me back up to speed.
 
My home is in California but I had my surgery in Nevada. I have no family and don't know anyone here. I originally was to come here for 14 days because my surgeon did not want me to go home alone right after the surgery. I developed a high fever for about 12 days so that was the cause of my extended stay I think. I also have some pretty big swelling compared to last time and the doctor here said that one could fry an egg on my knee it is so hot. For this reasons and because I can't bend my knee very well at all, they extended my stay. I came here April 21, and will be going home Monday, May 21st I think it is.
 
Wow, that’s a long time. I’m sorry you’ve had these complications.

I would be chomping at the bit to be in my own house and make my own decisions about the PT part.

I hope you go home on Monday!
 
Home is the best place for you. You will be in control of everything!
 
It think it is because a doctor told me that I would end up with an amputation if I had a revision.
It was a foolish and unkind doctor who told you that. It's nonsense. Thousands of people have knee revisions, some have more than one, and almost none of them end up with an amputation. Amputation would only be considered as an absolute last resort.

Just have a look at the list of people here on BoneSmart who have revisions - click on one of the yellow "Revision TKR " prefixes and a list will come up, with threads by all the people who have revisions.

I've had a revision myself, with no problems, and since I joined BoneSmart almost 7 years ago, we haven't had a single person who needed an amputation.
 
Thanks Celle. He certainly frightened me. I pray over my leg day and night now. I hope that it will be ok. I happen to like and need my leg. I hope that I won't be your first casualty! The doctor who did my surgery said that I would not need an amputation. That was one of the reasons that I went with him but I am losing confidence in him since I learned of the bone cement leakage problem. I really did my research before going with him but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I wonder if it is common to have bone cement leakages after.revisions? My guess is he overshot with the laser and put a hole in my bone. When he put in the cement, it leak d through the hole. I will have to checkout what others have to say about their revisions.

I am glad to hear that your revision came out well. It gives me hope when I hear success stories.
 
My problem has become very worrisome. I tried to get the X-ray that shows all of the bone cement so that Josephine could see it but the PA told me that I am delusional and that is no such X-ray. I am sorry but yes there was. The only one that they will give is from the backside that only shows a small amount. The side view showed a lot. It looked like a melting candle with long pieces and then big globs. Then I don't think that they know what the burning and sometimes itching big red marks around my incision are. I am going to try to share a picture of it here. If Josephine is available or anyone else recognize what this is will you please let me know?

[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity


My leg is still pretty swollen and I am almost 7 weeks out from the revision.
 
uscbgal1971.
The should have take a front to back view and a side view, you should be able to get a copy of both. If the Dr won't give it to you, the hospital should have a copy of your x rays. Call the hospital ask for medical records and request a copy of your x rays.
I am so sorry the PA called you delusional, seems very unprofessional given he is not a psychologist.
Good luck in your search for x rays.
 
My X-rays were done at the doctor's office but I bet there are some at the hospital as well. I saw on my Medicare EOB that an ultrasound was done during the surgery so I am going to try to get that report and the operative report too. Thanks for the idea. I am wondering if the big red marks around the incision are cellulitis. They started out as an itchy rash but then changed and became very painful. I have been running a temp of 100.5 too. There isn't any discharge but when the rash goes from itchy to burning, there are tiny little bumps.
 
My doctor really cut up high into my thigh. I am pretty sure that he cut muscle because my leg keeps buckling
 
Sometimes the quad is inhibited after trauma or knee surgery, most likely your quad needs time to heal and wake up. Electrical stimulation, and just plain using (walking, steps, stairs) can help with the return to strength.
 
It's celulitis. Don't bother about the U/S - I only read xrays.
 
Back
Top Bottom