TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

I have gone for several opinions about having a revision and I have been told everything from I would end up with an amputation if I had a revision
Well the reason an amputation would happen would be on account of a catastrophic failure of the replacement.
What is a catastrophic failure of the replacement?
It's not a condition or anything. I just meant that if the implant failed somehow, fell apart or something, or if your bone fell apart. That would be a 'catastrophic' failure but it would be highly unlikely, very rare and even unimaginable!
 
Thanks for the clarification Josephine. Nice to hear from you. I am so glad and comforted that Bonesmart is still here. I feel more confident with information I find on this blog than from anywhere else. Hope that you are doing well.
Best wishes, Pam

I tried to register for the Joint Replacement Awareness Day but it tells me the ID and email address have already been registered. I did not register however. Was I automatically registered as a member here? Is there any way to tell if I have in fact been registered? I received no information about registering. Thanks, Pam
 
I had the same issue. I did get registered but I forget how I worked it out.
 
Pam, I'm checking with our tech director to see the details of the registration under your username. You would not have been automatically registered for JRAD. It's totally separate from registration on BoneSmart.
 
Oh my gosh! I am so frightened to have this revision surgery. I am thinking of cancelling. I just read that a minimum of 20% of revisions aren't successful. That is a lot! Plus they believe cancerous tumors form in you leg after about 15 years after having the radiation treatment. I think that I am better off in a wheelchair. I just am too scared.
 
Pam, I think you need to read less.........:banghead:Remember, even if that figure is true, it would mean that 80% are successful!
 
@ucsbgal1971

I’m a statistician by training. I use numbers as a guide, but I also know that there is a lot of sloppiness and lack of clarity in computing “success” rates.

People quote percentages all the time, but you have to ask how the percentage is computed. I bet this might be all revisions, including less skilled doctors. What does your doctor think your chances are?

Taken another way, even if the 20% is correct, you have an 80% chance of success.

As for radiation.....i guess the thing again is to talk to your physician for clarity. If tumors are a risk, then will they monitor you for them, how will they manage this going forward. I had breast radiation almost 7 years ago for breast cancer, and i’m monitored. Because not having treatment was more risky than the treatment. But it’s hard.

I understand anxiety...this is scary stuff, and you’ve had negative experiences. Sometimes having a plan to deal with uncertainty helps limit the anxiety.

Wish you all the best.
 
I have had 11 surgeries in my life and only two came out ok. I am trying to be positive but truthfully I am scared to death. Not sure what you mean by having a plan to deal with the anxiety. I took an anxiety pill but it didn't help. I haven't taken one in a long time. Maybe it is ineffective because it has expired. I have so much to do to move in two weeks and I am in so much pain that I am getting nothing accomplished. I think I am panicking. I have to move from California toNevada for the surgery, setup a new apartment and clean my old house but I am in so much pain with my back and knee that I am getting no where fast. I think that I am overwhelmed.

Thank you Eeek and Kim.

Kim you are right. I am scaring myself to death.
 
. I think I am panicking. I have to move from California toNevada for the surgery, setup a new apartment and clean my old house but I am in so much pain with my back and knee that I am getting no where fast. I think that I am
I would be panicking and overwhelmed facing all that, too! Do you absolutely have to move? If I remember correctly you have gotten a place to live near the doctor doing your surgery because it’s so far from where you live. Is that your only choice? I moved less than 3 years ago and even though we had professional movers I was in a lot of pain in my knees, back and neck as I have arthritis in all these areas, so I totally understand what you are going through.

I have no advice to offer but wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you.
:console2:
 
It is completely overwhelming, and you’ve had a tough time.

For anxiety - if the meds aren’t working, do you need a new prescription? Maybe a higher dose?

As far as planning, if you are worried about radiation causing problems in the future, how will you be monitored for these problems, that’s all I meant. But too much planning will make you crazy.

Moving is one of the most stressful, draining things. Thinking of you.
 
I know you're scared and stressed, and having to relocate doesn't help. It's to be expected to be scared; I am too. But I suggest you quit reading about everything that can go wrong, and try to concentrate on what can go right, and how you'll have your life back after. Don't borrow trouble, just get ready for all the changes coming and be as prepared as possible. We both have big hurdles ahead; let's just get to the finish line with positive thoughts, and come here to get support as needed.
 
Did your surgeon ask you to start taking iron before your surgery? My last did but I can't remember how much time before the surgery I was supposed to start the iron and I can't remember the type of iron and dosage he wanted me to take. My first surgeon had me taking iron but I don't feel comfortable calling there to ask since I am not going back.
 
I would think they suggest iron if you have a history of anemia. None of my docs suggested anything.
 
What does your current surgeon recommend? As with a lot of things this seems to vary also. My surgeon had me start iron 6 weeks ahead of surgery. It gave me constipation right away.
 
Iron gives me dark, almost black stools. This was very scary until I looked it up and saw that iron pills will do that!
 
Uscbgal1971 I have been following your thread. I must say I have to agree that you need to stop reading. You are talking yourself into believing that revisions will end up in disaster. Odds are you will have a successful revision. You’ve found what appears to be an excellent surgeon and have everything in place to go ahead with this surgery so that you can be rid of the wheelchair and look forward to a brighter future where you can walk along the beach. If the move is too much then hire people to do the move. Isn’t your future worth it?

You’ve allowed yourself to get overwhelmed by seeing everything that needs to be done at once and it appears to much. Break down the tasks into smaller goals so that you can achieve them one at a time. That way it won’t all get on top of you. You can do this if you focus on what needs to be done each day and refrain from reading or taking on board negativity. I am on my second revision and there has never been a mention of amputation, nor have I read or been told anything negative about revision TKRs. You can do this. For the chance of a better life and one without a wheelchair why wouldn’t you?? Feel the fear and do it anyway because you have a chance at a better future. Good luck x
 
She'll, yes I have to move because my doctor is 300 miles away from my home and I could not find anyone local who would even try to help me. Your advice is well taken. My friend told me it is like eating an elephant one bite at a time. I can't imagine eating an elephant but I get her point. Thank you for your comments and the pep talk. I feel a little better about it today as I went up to Santa Barbara to talk to my old family doctor. I was surprised when he said no way as far as the radiation treatments so I have decided not to have them. The cancer risk is too great. As long as I keep busy and stop reading or even thinking about the surgery I think that I will be ok. Thanks again to everyone who has commented. Thank heavens for Bonesmart!
 
Sounds like you have concerns that should be addressed by your new surgeon. Have you asked him(assuming it is a him) directly about iron pills, radiation and other things you‘re worrying about.
 
I’m so glad you talked to your old doctor and have made a decision that removes a source of stress. One less thing to worry about is a good thing! One day at a time... one bite of the elephant. You will get through this.

I couldn’t take iron pills post-surgery (wouldn’t have worked pre-surgery either) because they make me completely sick, so I ate lots of... Cheerios. Best iron-filled food on the market. Who knew? Those and Ensure protein drinks, also with lots of iron, got me through my anemia. Anyway, if iron pills are ever a problem, stock up on Cheerios!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom