TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora We have a peach tree, but I haven't even looked at it this summer, way too much going on. The deer will be in the yard eating the fallen peaches before long. (Even though we live in town). Sounds like you are having a good time!
 
You sound wonderful and that place fantastic! I am getting hungry!!!
 
:chillpill: @Reebok @Lovestoread @Daystar @bball78 @harleysbud @Jozilla @tiredwife
The fabulous part of staying in Caritas for rehab is the cost. If you are in a single room insurance pays €51.00/ day & you pay an additional of €67.00 yourself. Includes all services & PT.
But, if you are in a 2 bed or 4 bed room - there is No Cost/ Free !
For some reading the Health Board pays the cost if your doctor / surgeon completes a form stating that you Require rehab/convalescence after hospital. Requirement that you must be admitted directly from hospital for a maximum 14 day stay.
Naturally, there is a waiting list for the 56 beds & the minute you get your surgery date and discharge date you ring Caritas to book your rehab admission. Long waiting list and some people book elective surgery around the availability of a bed here and then work backwards to get their surgery date with their doctor.
Friday 25 July 2014 Update:
  • Slept on & off and need 2 top ups of pain meds and Cryo cuff ice during the night
  • Physio at 9:15 added a few new exercises and given the floor pedal to use for 2-3 minutes at a time for 3 times each day to help with flexion
  • PT department not open Saturday & Sunday - so all self directed exercise for me
  • Leg very stiff and feels like a dead weight
  • PT & House Doctor feel that Valium 3 times/ day will add on reducing stiffness.
  • Had two doses and do feel that the stiffness had lessened- ? Real or Placebo effect ? Doesn't matter, I feel that it worked
  • Took 3 walks around grounds for 9 minutes each and increase one minute each day to 30 minutes/day
  • Doing exercises once with PT and then two other times on my own
  • Elevating, Icing and Resting in between
  • Appetite still so so and weighed today and have lost 4 kilos since the day if surgery on 17 July.
  • Just got night meds: 2 Solpediene, 1 Valium, 1 Oxicontin
  • Icing knee and elevating and settling in for the night
  • Still caffeine free and only drinking water & herbal tea and prune juice.
  • Hope to stay caffeine free when I go home
  • Nighty, night
 
@marmora It is great to hear about your rehab "resort"! I would love to go outside and whack fruit off the trees! It's been ghastly hot here so no going out till it cools off some. Sounds like things are a little up & down with you - same with me & I'm a few days behind you! Hard work but it will be so good to get it all behind us!
 
@DianeJ Good Morning from Dublin ! Hope that as I am posting this you are in pleasant dream land & had a comfortable night. Awake at 1:30 & 5:00am for top up pain relief, but otherwise good night.

Are you finding it hard to get a comfortable position for your leg/knee for sleeping ?
Have a dull ache at hip joint of the operated knee and at times, that gives me more discomfort than the knee .

Hacking fruit of the trees with our canes & crutches is the unofficial PT upper body strength programme :rotfl:
 
@marmora sounds like you are doing great, and I'm jealous of your rehab hospital. Mine was nice, but not that nice! Home baked bread...yum! I've been eating much more starch as my stomach is so queasy, which i think is why I haven't lost weight even though eating less. But you are picking fruit from the trees, warm from the sun. How wonderful is that? You have been such a cheerful, supportive influence here, that I am really happy your experience is good. You earned it.
 
Oh...almost forgot. Yes, my left hip bothers me and my 'good' knee bothers me. I think the new knee changes alignment everywhere, and everything protests.
 
@marmora Oh yes I'm glad you mentioned the discomfort of sleeping positions! Not only my knee/leg/hip, but my bum, too! I normally sleep a lot on my sides and I am finding sleeping on my back all the time extremely hard on my rear! I haven't figured out a way to sleep on my side yet that doesn't hurt my knee so my rear is getting sore! :gaah:This morning I got up & made my way to the chair, propped my leg on pillows on another chair & at least getting some relief for some body parts! I am just not good at confinement! I hope to go outside for awhile today!

Not only is fruit whacking your unofficial upper body strength exercise therapy, it would be awesome for your balance also! :heehee: Heehee!
 
@marmora Yes being unable to get comfortable is a big part of the not sleeping thingee. He wasn't in pain just couldn't get comfortable. That should leave when the swelling goes down and the tight band feeling leaves. His hip is finally not bothering him as much. He always had hip pain because of how he walked. @DianeJ are you putting pillows between your knees when you lay on your side? Hubby sleeps on his side all the time, and has since about week 2.
 
@Gingiebot I have been meaning to tell you I love your 'cheeky' photo - shows the fun side of you .
You're right that the new alignment of the knee when walking after being bent for over 18 months could be affecting my hip, 'the thigh bone's connected to the knee bone, the knee bone's connected to the ankle bone,...'

@DianeJ oh to get a comfortable sleeping and resting position would be bliss. And I guess we will have to with trail & error finds a position that works . @tiredwife will try the pillow between the legs for my afternoon nap.

Saturday is self-directed. Pat and slightly overdid it this morning, so now in bed, icing,elevation and an Oxynorm & 2 Solpediene and going to take a little nap .:chillpill:
 
@tiredwife @harleysbud @bball78 @Gingiebot @Reebok @Jozilla @Lovestoread @DianeJ @Daystar
Simple Update for Saturday 26 July 2014

?Question ? What's the difference between an Irish summer and an Irish winter ?
Answer: The rain is warmer ! :rotfl:
  • No formal PT on Sat/Sun and did too much at my morning session
  • Learned an important lesson that I must pave myself
  • Afternoon resting,elevating and icing and extra pain meds and a Valium
  • Read and re-read the BoneSmart mantra !!!
  • Those that have traveled this road before me are wise and speak from knowledge
  • Have learned this lesson the painful way
  • :shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom