Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jozilla Love the 'Pasta & Potatoes ' tee shirts. I was born in Chicago, both my parents born in Ireland and returned here in 1977 & am living here ever since. One son(33) currently live in NYC and partner of 8 years is from Peru, my second son(31) -married in June 2014 lives in Norway with his Norwegian wife and my youngest son (27) lives in Dublin and girlfriend of two years is Irish. Last Christmas they were all with us, so a mini- United Nations.
Resting, elevating and icing this morning and have PT at 3:20.
So, peaceful and restful here and know that being here will spend my recovery.
 
I forgot to add I had no appetite for about a month after surgery and have lost 20 lbs since. I didn't even feel like eating chocolate which I am addicted to! The only craving I had was for milk which I never drink! I will stock up on some protein bars this time!
 
@marmora Glad it was just a precaution. Sounds like you are settling in. Enjoy the sun, but elevate the leg while doing it. Have a great day!

@Jozilla I don't think I would ever not want chocolate. The milk is probably because your body is craving the protien and calcium. That makes sense.
 
@Jozilla @tiredwife
The weight loss surprise bonus is a plus. Like you Jozilla, no appetite and when eating only very small portions. No cravings for goodies & using this time to detox from caffeine. With the pain meds get no caffeine withdrawal headache . I was/ am a Diet Coke +++ each day. Have done this before after other surgeries and felt the better for it. Cathie
 
@marmora make sure you are getting plenty of protien or your energy level will drop. I had to stop all caffiene (but the chocolate) because I was getting fast heart rate. That has been years now. I do sneak a capachino sometimes in the winter. You have a great day.
 
@tiredwife Yes, to protein, poached egg at breakfast & grilled chicken breast at lunch and sliced turkey with salad for evening meal.
Also Diabetic type 2, limits the goodies
:ice: Just finished my first Rehab Centre PT session with an understanding & competent PT, I have worked with him before, icing and elevating,
Ps. The sun is still shinning in Ireland !
 
@marmora Sounds like you have a handle on it! I tried cooking hubby favorites to get him to eat. I think the meatloaf is when he got truely hungry. Glad you had a good PT today. Enjoy your Irish sun!
 
:chillpill:@Roselover @Reebok @Jozilla @bball78 @tiredwife @Lovestoread
Thursday 9:00 pm 24 July Update

  • Hello all & day 7 post-op and slowly turning corner and comfortable as to where I am.
  • Great chats, friendly advice from the others here, not the same as found on BoneSmart, but Caritas is a very sharing & caring environment.
  • Dining Like on a Cruise Ship (although I've never been on a cruise) we have breakfast in bed & then dress in our day clothes for the day and for lunch & dinner assigned to a specific table in the communal dining room. My table has 2TKRrs,1THR and one spinal fusion.
  • At 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Bridge and for those with musical talent there is a music room with piano & guitars available to use. And if no musicians are patients, selection of classical and jazz CDs.
  • There is a library room, if you want somewhere other than your room to read in.
  • And a Sports TV room.
  • multi- denominational chapel
  • integral garden area with appropriate chairs, sun umbrellas and a collection of sun hats to put on and sun screen available.
First PT session went well and have a few new exercises to add to my routine, as and when I am able & PT again in the morning at 9:15 am.

Resting now with leg elevated and ice and waiting to get night meds and settle for a good nights sleep.
:chillpill: :ice::loveshwr:
 
@Reebok how are you doing? Love the story of that you could have been caught falling asleep with the bottle of booze when you were in hospital ! Are you still waking at night with discomfort/pain ?

I woke up about 1:15 am, given an Oxynorm and icing leg till pain med kicks in and looking at forum to help get me back to sleep.

@tiredwife Please do come join me, know that you'd like the place.All home cooking and fresh baked bread everyday and the smell of bread baking is very therapeutic. Also freshly made desserts and if diabetic they are very creative and they others at my dining table feel jealous
@gr82cu2 unfortunately, it is a cat/kitten free zone.

Caritas is less than a five minute drive from my home or 10-15 minute walk, which means husband & friends can drop over very easily. Visiting hours are strictly organised for the patients' benefit. At 2:00 to 5:00 and 6:30 to 8:30pm. And no one allowed outside of those times

Pain meds & ice starting to kick-in, so this is all for now.
 
Sleeping 6-7 hrs a night, waking with discomfort, rather than pain, hard to get comfortable.
Otherwise all according to plan, ditched the crutches, using a walking stick .
Stiffness still there, measured swelling today, right knee 5 cm larger in circumference than left.
Concentrating on icing, elevating, resting, and doing 2-3 rounds of exercises each day.
On the slow track now, have to just deal with that. Not that is all bad. Even now better than what i had.

Anyway, Marmora, what is with the country club you are at? Us poor folk are jealous.
 
@marmora I would but I don't fly, so by time I drove to get to a boat to get to you, you would be out of there :sad:. My hubby made some homemade rosemary bread today though, so at least I have that!

@Reebok there will be steps backwards, it happens, try not to get discouraged!
 
@Reebok each week will bring changes, my husband measures his progress more by the week instead of by the day!

@dressagequeen Many people go through that. At about 2 weeks out my husband was questioning why he did it, but that didn't last long. He is so ready for his next one now, he was 8 weeks yesterday, 2nd knee will be Aug 6th.
 
@Reebok @bball78 @harleysbud @Lovestoread @tiredwife @dressagequeen @Jozilla and all
It's like being in The Garden of Eden this evening, after tea(evening meal) we were encouraged to go out to the fruit garden and pick plums and damsons from the tree, as the warm weather is producing a bumper crop. So, several gently hit the trees with our crutches & canes and luscious & juicy ripe fruit came tumbling down - yummy, yummy fruit feast, no need for bedtime laxatives tonight !!!

Family just arrived and will continue later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom