Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the "Other Side." It sounds like you had a great surgical experience and you are dong well!

Please keep us updated as to how you are doing and what is going on in your recovery!
 
@marmora How is day 3 post-op going? I used Benedryl the last time also and in the hospital, another effect is it will help you sleep alittle. Better go my home p.t./nurse is here! I hope everyone has an awesome day!
:flwrysmile:
 
@Reebok @tiredwife @dressagequeen @ironman60 @Jozilla @ATPlus @Ollie @icep707 @ Roselover
@Yorkimom @bball78
It's Saturday night about 8:15 pm / Dublin and only getting to IPad and BoneSmart forum now.
Thank you for your kind messages and advice. Here is my report for Day Two
  • Awake at 3:30 am - pain and stiffness and pressure.given Gabapentin & Oxcoticontin
  • Still awake in with pain at 5:00 am - given Oxynorum
  • Morning feeling tired and pain at about 6-7 and no relief - Tramadol and Solpeidene added to pain meds
  • Pain down to 3-4
  • Physio at 12:30 walked 60 meters with Zimmer Frame and transferred to 2 canes for part of the walk
  • They use canes instead of crutches, as they feel that the canes are more unstable than crutches, so require more muscle control and this aids in recovery
  • Some bed exercises- leg lift x5, squeeze and release buttock muscle, push back of knee into bes and pull toes towards you.
  • No dead leg and able to left leg off be for 6 inches
  • Long nap after physio exercises and walk
  • By 3:00 pm pain down to 2-3 and had remained at that level and feel more perky and alert
  • Drains, IV and dressing removed this morning and wound looks clean and has been close with staples
  • AV Impulse pump still on both feet
  • Feeling so much better tonight and rest and ice, ice, ice are helping so much. They don't elevate the leg her
 
:type: Hi all, due to the on/off internet & wifi coverage in the hospital, I see that my post from Saturday night only went through just now on Sunday afternoon. Will do an update post later. Take care to all.
 
Hope your pain is being managed. I figured all the wifi space was being used for Rory McElroy! We are cheering for him today tho I love Ricky Fowler the flashy young American! All the best to you.
 
@marmora Glad they got the pain controlled! Sometimes it takes time to figure out the right medicine routine. Did you have the femoral block? From what I gathered that is why most people have the dead leg feeling.
Seems like most hospitals don't elevate, but my Husband's allowed me to elevate his leg with extra pillows they had. I just made sure I asked first. They had no problem with it.
The pushing knee into bed is the main one for extension, so it is important. All movement is important to prevent clots.
Sounds like you are doing good now. Take care of yourself.
 
@marmora Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing reasonably well. I'm glad they got your pain under control. I was told even if I've had pain meds only an hour before if I'm not comfortable to speak up so they can keep working towards finding the right combo. I'm glad you did that. It's funny how doctors differ, isn't it? Elevate, not elevate. Ice, no ice. It would be comforting if they were all on the same page. My doctor elevates and ices. We'll see how it goes in 9 more days!
 
The extension for me was the hardest. I am practicing now for my next surgery though I don't know if that helps. My extension is not as good in my unoperated knee. They are so stingy with the pain meds here it makes me nervous. I brought some with me the first time but fortunately never had to use them. Thanks to the ice that they were great about using! Xoxo
 
@Jozilla last time at PT they measured the extension on my husband's bad knee and it was a 1. His right knee isn't as bad as his left. At PT they know he is getting the right done soon so they have been letting him exercise it right along with the new knee hoping it will speed recovery.
 
@Reebok @tiredwife @dressagequeen @ironman60 @Jozilla @ATPlus @Ollie @icep707 @ Roselover
@Yorkimom @bball78
It's Saturday night about 8:15 pm / Dublin and only getting to IPad and BoneSmart forum now.
Thank you for your kind messages and advice. Here is my report for Day Two
  • Awake at 3:30 am - pain and stiffness and pressure.given Gabapentin & Oxcoticontin
  • Still awake in with pain at 5:00 am - given Oxynorum
  • Morning feeling tired and pain at about 6-7 and no relief - Tramadol and Solpeidene added to pain meds
  • Pain down to 3-4
  • Physio at 12:30 walked 60 meters with Zimmer Frame and transferred to 2 canes for part of the walk
  • They use canes instead of crutches, as they feel that the canes are more unstable than crutches, so require more muscle control and this aids in recovery
  • Some bed exercises- leg lift x5, squeeze and release buttock muscle, push back of knee into bes and pull toes towards you.
  • No dead leg and able to left leg off be for 6 inches
  • Long nap after physio exercises and walk
  • By 3:00 pm pain down to 2-3 and had remained at that level and feel more perky and alert
  • Drains, IV and dressing removed this morning and wound looks clean and has been close with staples
  • AV Impulse pump still on both feet
  • Feeling so much better tonight and rest and ice, ice, ice are helping so much. They don't elevate the leg her
Sounds like you are getting there.
Keep it up. That first shower is glorious. Food for the soul. Find a few more moments like that and you will have some places to retreat to when it gets on top of you.
I couldnt concentrate on a book, despite reading 3-4 books a week all my life. One thing that helped me was an ipod with some music I really identified with. For me KD Lang Leonard Cohen and Joss Stone helped me to retreat inside myself away from what was happening to my leg. Try it.
 
Glad things are looking up! And it will only get better...the worst is over! I am an avid reader and looked forward some time to just do nothing other than read. For weeks, I had absolutely no interest in reading.....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Lovestoread @Reebok @tiredwife @Roselover @Jozilla @G2cu2 @bball78 @dressagequeen @referee54
Hello, Monday about1:00 pm.
Sunday Day 3 Post-op
  • Still waking up with break through pain every 2-3 hours during the night
  • Was able to lift straight leg off bed on Friday (24 hour post-op) but bend at only 65-70% and need to work on that
  • Walking in hall 4x day using 2 canes, a challenge but good to get out of the room
  • Ice, ice and ice and resting either on bed or in chair while watching Rory McElroy smash it today !
  • Lovely hot shower this morning -magic
  • Getting on top of right pain meds for me
  • Doing bed exercises and knee over side of bed or chair to gently pull leg back
  • All and all better day
Monday morning 21 July
  • First session in 'gym' - up and down short flight of stairs- useful as live in long,tall house with lots of stairs and 4 landings in between.
  • Flexion 75% - so OS & PT recommends CPM for 1 hour am and 1 hour this afternoon at 70%
  • Leg/knee felt so much 'looser' after morning CPM, and looking forward to afternoon CPM
  • Discharge from hospital to rehab centre from Tuesday to Wednesday - until Flexion is closer to 80/85% and pain meds truly sorted for maximum relief.
  • Afternoon for watching 'Big Bang Theory' and ice, ice, ice
  • The hospital will send me hone with the Cryo Cuff, but not the ice& water chamber. The chamber stays in the hospital.
  • Two options: 1. The fill the cuff and seal it and then I put it into freezer at Rehab centre and home to use like an ice pack. 2. Buy the ice chamber from a PT supply centre. Luckily a PT supply centre is about 5 minutes from where I live, so will order the ice chamber and bring with me to rehab
  • All and all slowly and steady is the way I'm going in my recovery and will the advice & support of you on the BoneSmart Forum, the journey is made so much easier.
 
I am so jealous! Happy to see you on this side @marmora and that you are doing so well. I spent 12 hours in recovery and my first 4 days are a total blur. Can hardly believe how alert and chipper you are! Keep us posted and loe your journal!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom