TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @marmora! Sorry I seem to have lost your thread for a few day. Sounds like you're in good hands at the "Garden of Eden Rehab" :heehee:
I'm glad you're finding the additional medication helping with the rest of your leg pain. As you know it's not just the knee itself but the surrounding tissues that are "angry" right after surgery.
 
@marmora that place sounds wonderful. Its funny I could not find your thread and finally found it. You take care and hope as each days passes you get a little stronger and feel a little better
 
@marmora People usually learn by doing, sadly with this recovery that means pain and swelling. You need to post your joke on 71Beetle's thread. She would appreciate it too!
 
@kneeper @madinana @tiredwife @bball78 @harleysbud @Reebok
Sunday 27 July 2014
Yes back to our usual Irish summer with 4 seasons in one day !
Sunglasses, umbrellas, rain jackets & shorts all in one day makes for variet
  • OK day, leg very tight & stiff over incision site and also at back of leg.
  • Feel Like the muscles and fibres are stuck together with superglue
  • if I could only loosen the area the flexibility would be such a relief
  • Taking Valium 5mg 3xday for muscle relaxation and helped somewhat
  • The 2pm Valium put me to sleep for about 90 minutes
  • But felt looser afterward and did done of my spat programmeFeel have gone back from 90% on Friday to 75% - but will be measured by PT in the morning
  • Turning out lights , had night time meds about 30 minutes ago and the eyes getting heavy
  • Best wishes to all and may you have done pain free hours
  • Nighty night
 
@marmora Sounds like your weekend was good. My was pretty uneventful. I have p.t. coming again tomorrow and the nurse on Tuesday for another blood test. Then Wednesday, first appt. with my surgeon to have my staples removed and first x-rays! That tight band feeling is normal, but really sucks:heehee: If it wasn't for that it would be a "breeze" :spin: My first outpatient p.t. will be Thursday. I can't wait, hopefully he'll be able to loosen things up a little more!

Sleeping is also a pain, but try the pillows between your knees. I find if I lie on the non-surgery knee side it seems more comfortable.

Just think we are almost 2 weeks out!:wow: Keep up the good work, it will keep getting better! I am bending at 110 right now so I'm excited!!

Have a great night and we'll check in again tomorrow (Monday).

:flwrysmile:
 
I had a big setback after reaching 90 in PT due to major muscle spasms. It took me while to get back to 90 and my PT was concerned cause it didn't seem to budge for a long time. Then all of a sudden it jumped. I'm now over 120 at last measurement. Maybe not the best but improving steadily now.Extension is 0 on my left and 3 on the right. It's been slow but that's ok. As long as it improves.

Just hang in there, do the exercises, ice and walk when you can. And pretty soon you will be doing everything you want.
 
@marmora good to see that you have joined us (11 days ago).

I remember that the first month can appear very difficult in lots of different ways. Keep telling yourself that it does improve and it will, and the improvement can be very quick. Let the healing/soreness take its course and suddenly one day you will wake up (hopefully soon) and feel that you can do a lot more than you could the previous day.

I found that when I had my calves, quads & hamstrings massaged that I quickly found the pain/pressure reduce on my knee; the tightness of my muscles was causing me problems - this worked wonders for me, it may also work for you (or not).

We are all different and react differently to injury/pain, but I found that by working comfortably within my pain thresholds that I was able to progress quite quickly but only after 4 weeks or so.

I am finding your detailed diary very interesting and illuminating, I may try something similar myself when No. 2 happens in September.

Take care

Mike
 
@Reebok @IrishMike @DianeJ @bball78 @Jozilla @tiredwife @Gingiebot @Lovestoread @gr82cu2
Hello to you all, and to @harleysbud - any update on your postponed surgery ?
So tired today and this evening. Here's my mini- day update.
  • Breakfast & showered by 9:00 am and ready for 9:15 am PT session
  • Keeping TEDs off for awhile- until I'm asked to put them back on -my bit of rebellion for the day
  • PT good session had Oxymore & Valium one hour before
  • Worked on in reading knee flexion now at 95/100 %
  • Back and elevated and iced until upper body group PT session at 10:45
  • Took first 10 minute walk in the grounds and picked some damsons from the trees & a few cherries for a treat later
  • Short nap before lunch with Cryo cuff on knee
  • Lunch today was like a mini -Irish Christmas dinner with Turkey, stuffing, carrots, Brussels sprouts and roast potatoes. Only able to eat small portion but, absolutely delicious
  • Second 1-1 PT session to work on still knee area was able to make full rotation x5 on the bike pedal frame
  • Back to rest, elevate and ice
  • Leg very stiff when waking at 5:30 pm for tea time ( dinner time )
  • Maybe did too much , asked for pain meds and back to elevate & ice
  • Finola & Jeanette to visit for 15 minutes after 6:00 pm
  • Short but stiff leg walk in the garden for 10 minutes
  • Husband & son into visit 8:00 - 8:30
  • In bed at 9:30, elevating and icing and waiting for night time pain meds
  • Today's lesson is to pace myself, keep on top of pain relief and ice, ice, ice
 
Great update! Making a full rotation already - awesome! I think the diary is a great idea. So many little things you will not remember until you read your thread again. Sweet dreams.
 
@marmora We are definitely on the same page in our recovery, I made 5 rotations on my bike today also!:biking:

What a great feeling and how loose my knee felt after! Keep up the great work and it won't be long before we are both back to our "normal-selves"....LOL. I am anxiously waiting for Wednesday--I get my staples removed. I know that will make things feel better! Icing and relaxing right now.....keep up the great work! Just think it won't be long before we will be :walking:pain-free!

Have a great night everyone and stay positive!
 
Good Morning all,
@bball78 @Reebok @Lovestoread @tiredwife @madinana @Jozilla @Gingiebot

Dublin at about 8:00 am
After pain meds at 11:00 pm - woke at 1:30 'to spend a penny' (Irish term for having to go to the toilet,as had to pay a penny to users public toilet) and decided just to renew ice in the Cryo cuff and not ask for pain med, as not in pain and have lovely pain free sleep until 7:30 am !
@Reebok - resting and recouping is very hard and has to be planned with short activities mixed with rest, elevation and icing. With practice we should get the hang of this enforced rest.

@bball78 we do seem to be at the same level on our PT and at this rate we will be ready for the Tour de France on 2015. My staples all 42 of them will be coming out on Friday morning :)
Still trying to walk with a less stiff gait, so used to the left leg having a slight bend due to long term injury,so learning to walk with a straight leg.

@Madianna not too late to start your post op diary for use during your next surgery. It could be very good to have.

@Gingiebot thinking about your foot and knee post. In February 2012, I had surgery on my left foot to remove bone from my big toe - not a bunion - something called Dupcheons / tight foot tendons causing a trigger finger of the toes. Even after that surgery foot still caused painful walking at times. Now since the LTKR and learning to walk without a left foot limp the foot pain is gone.
 
@marmora sounds like you had a super busy day. Glad you had a nice sleep. And the food sounds yummy! Are you at the inpatient rehab? Wish I had someone to cook like that.

Well I wish my foot would behave like yours! It seems that my LTKR has set my left foot right off. Tonight my tendon is more swollen than ever and super painful...worse than my knee.

Oh well, we keep plugging along. I see my OS August 6 and her first specialty is foot and ankle, knee is second for her. So perhaps she will have advice on my foot. Till then I am minimizing my walking, icing and elevating!

See you tomorrow!
 
@Gingiebot
All that I can offer you is a 'listening' ear' whenever you need one.
Take care of you during this very unsettling time.
Kind thoughts for you today.
 
:prayer: @Gingiebot
Yes it is an in-patient 56 bed Convalescent/Rehab centre.
Mainly for post-op knees & hips, a few post cardiac or other surgery patients.

Caritas is inter-denominational and admission is on patient need.
It is run by the Irish Sisters of Charity under the direction of Sister Manus Doyle.
Free if in a 2 or 4 bedded room including daily PT .
Or you pay €70.00/ day if in a private room and your insurance pays the remaining €51.00/day.

Saying in Dublin, that is easier to get into Heaven than get a bed in Caritas.
So very blessed to be able to avail if the wonderful care in Caritas for 14 days after leaving the hospital.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom