TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TexasTee @Jane B. @tiredwife @gr82cu2 @ConnieJOS @happymum @Minnie's knees @madinana @kneeidea63

Thank you for your concern about membership of the ODIC - but, sometimes "a girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do" knowing that there will be a price to pay.

Feeling good today and will potter around the house after breakfast, do my new "J Lo Butt exercises" then head to the YMCA for stationary bike and treadmill - but reduce the time on each.

Home for lunch, catch up on paperwork, prepare dinner for DH and me and then out to evening class tonight 7:30 - 10:30 pm, so hopefully home by 11:00 pm

Back with my PT in about 2 weeks and hope to gain some small increase in my Flexion and get nearer to 110 degrees. Knee not really painful, more a stiffness and heavy feeling. Still doesn't feel 'part of me " yet, @kneeper posted today that she now feels that the knee feels like part of her and I think that Jackie @tiredwife said the same about Steve.

Looking forward to that day, when I no longer consider the knee when deciding what I can or can't do !

Take care, it's almost 9am. Breakfast over - porridge mixed with grated apple and decaf coffee and glass of OJ, so set up until lunch time.

Take care and will check in later,
Cathie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@marmora tut at scoffing over do it dooooodah. And please you do know ogres thought process' are all pictoral so J Lo thread goooooood grief. Some one will look at me think aha Preeeeeevert alert. So taut like a drum exercises please

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@TexasTee @Jane B. @tiredwife @gr82cu2 @ConnieJOS @happymum @Minnie's knees @madinana @kneeidea63

Still doesn't feel 'part of me " yet, @kneeper posted today that she now feels that the knee feels like part of her and I think that Jackie @tiredwife said the same about Steve.

Looking forward to that day, we hi no longer consider the knee when deciding what I can or can't do !

I certainly agree. I have NOT accepted these knees as my own whatsoever! They are big ole stubborn rebellious knees that do not want to be a part of me at this point. I will whip them into shape though and break them like a bucking pony until they submit. I've learned to do this from my ranch dressing eatin cowboy hunk. :horseriding: He will be by my side every step of the way. We've got this!
 
@marmora and @ConnieJOS yes you will eventually not think so much about your knees. I think with hubby is he is just so relieved not to have them go out on him any more, and not have that sharp burning pain that would almost drop him. He needed his knees done a long time ago. The new knees are stable and no sharp pain so he is a happy camper. You time will come.

@Legin You are a funny ogre aren't you!
 
@marmora Glad you're feeling more chipper today! It's funny how we can feel so differently about our knees. I've never felt like mine weren't part of me. I was surprised to feel that way from the beginning. I don't think I would/they would feel much different if I'd had some kind of knee surgery that would cause this extent of swelling. I've never had the feeling something mechanical is inside of my legs. I hope you get your 110 you are hoping for at therapy. How is your extension doing these days? Do you feel like your leg is continuing to straighten better? I've always felt bad that has been/is such a struggle for you because I think those extension exercises are the most painful of all and since you started out much worse that way than many of us you've had to do them a lot more. Have a great day Cathie :)
 
Looking forward to that day, when I no longer consider the knee when deciding what I can or can't do !
Those days are coming---you have been focused on your knee---even before your surgery, you were focused on pain and the restrictions that you knee palced on you. Down the road, as the knee recvoers and progresses, yo will be able to place les and less emphasis on your knee and it will become part of you.

@kneeper posted today that she now feels that the knee feels like part of her and I think that Jackie @tiredwife said the same about Steve.
Yes, I can go for days now and not think about my knees or pause to reflect that my knees are 53 years younger than me.

Again, with time, you will lose the focus on your knee and become more focused on simply living and enjoying your life.
 
@referee54 and @gr82cu2

I do know and do believe that there are better days ahead.

When I look back at 17 July and see the progress to today, it is verification as to how far I've progressed and feel that when I look again on 17 January 2015 that things will be even better.

Extension has greatly improved at 2/3 now and that's a big improvement. Janet, as you said the extension exercises are the hardest, but necessary.

I'm a fairly positive person and with the support and friendship from BoneSmart the light at the end of the tunnel will soon require sunglasses. :cool:

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Good morning. There are definitely better days ahead for you. You are so positive and have a sunny outlook on life. I'll ask Santa to bring you a beautiful pair of sunglasses for Christmas. I really enjoy reading your posts. Hope you have a good day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's what you have to do sometimes. Think back about where you were and compare to where you are now and the differences are big. Doing this 2nd one has been good for me in that way. I realize now I had come a long, long way and the 2nd one has all but made me forget the 1st one, LOL!! Congrats on the progression with your extension. You're getting there!
 
@marmora - quick question for you - since you're at the 4-month mark, are you mainly dealing with stiffness and working on ROM, or are you still dealing with significant pain, as well? I know all recoveries are different, but interested in seeing how people feel at 4-5 months, as I'm going to try and take an overseas vacation about 5 months after surgery. :)

Also, you mentioned your knee not feeling like it was part of you yet - I've often wondered about this. It may sound silly, but the other day I was looking down at my knee and actually cried a little thinking of having that joint removed totally - the thought of just taking it out and replacing it with something foreign seems...sad, I guess? @gr82cu2 - you said you never really felt this? Did either of you, for lack of a better word, mourn your old knee joint? That's kind of how I feel now, I know it's been weak & a pain for many years - but it's gotten me to this point in my life and I'm the one who inflicted these injuries on it, so I feel a little melancholy about it about all.

Wondering how I'll feel about replacing a part of my mom & dad with something that was made in a factory somewhere...
 
@lunula No, I never felt like it wasn't a part of me or like it was something that wasn't supposed to be there. And I definitely have not mourned for my old knees. They changed my life drastically over the past 10 years and not for the better. I'm just hoping I can get at least part of that back.
 
@lunula

I am at 4 months post-op and ROM still away to go and even find sitting for longer than 30-40 minutes in a car uncomfortable.

My son & his wife live in Norway, and fly Dublin - Copenhagen 2hrs 20 minutes and stop over usually 1-2 hours then Copenhagen to a Bergen about 90minutes. I had planned on visiting them in late November, early December as this year they will stay in Norway for Christmas ( alternate between Ireland & Norway each Christmas).

But, feel that at 4 months " my knee and me " aren't up to it and will wait until January / February.

Jane @Jane B. recently traveled by plane and you should send a post to her, as she found the knee acted up when she got to get destination.

Now, don't let this put you off, this is only how I feel. I'm sure that there are others who have traveled without any problem .

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, marmora! Guess I'll spend my recuperation time researching vacations and dreaming...but hold off buying something until next year! :snork:
 
Once the clips were out and the wound had healed I stopped seeing the new knee as a foreign body. I think that is actually making recovery harder mentally because I often don't think before I try to move, then remember.
 
17 July to 17 November 2014

Today is 4 months LTKR post-op and time to look back and plan forward on this recovery.
  • Certainly improvements along the journey, ROM: Flexion at 105/108degrees and extension 2/3 degrees
  • Daily walks without the one cane since week 8/9 post op
  • PT once very two weeks
  • Therapy pool for self directed exercise once a week
  • Series of at home exercises daily.
  • Returning to the majority of pre-TKR activities
  • But, not ready for golf or hill walking yet - Two goals for the New Year
  • Knee still gets stiff and a tight band feeling after about ten minutes of walking / treadmill / stationary bike
  • Pain medication rarely and then 2 Panadol(Tylenol)
  • Use Cryo Cuff with lots of ice several times a week - great relief and means I don't need to take pain medication
  • Up the stairs with little problem, down the stairs still tricky
  • Driving since week 8 post-op (manual / stick shift car)
  • Have made some great, funny, brave friends here on BoneSmart and they have helped me during the recovery. Hope that I have helped in return
  • Knee still 'feels' like a foreign object and not part of me as of yet.
  • 2015 - 7- 10 days of walking The Camino de Santiago. It will involve 6 /7 hours walking per day or 25/30 kilometres . A definite goal !
  • 2015 - back to playing golf 1-2 times per week
  • 2015 - time with family and friends where "the knee" will be a memory and no longer define or limit what I want to do.
  • All in all, no real complaints
  • Live in the moment - can't change the past and the future is still to come
  • Practice Mindfulness and Mindfulness Meditation
Cathie
 
You absolutely have helped many of us here with you kind thoughts and helpful advice. I agree with yiayia3 your attitude remains steadfast and hopeful. I hope you are able to attain your 2015 goals. I know you will. xox
 
I have heard of that walking trail. A real accomplishment!
I hope you are looking forward to it. Could be a marker between past and future?

Sometimes the 'slower' journeys have more impact than the rushed ones. I spent five weeks in the himalayas in 2009, and it was a revelation for me, the guy who has spent his life racing motorcycles and cars to slow down and appreciate the journey rather than the destination.

You will be good, it is predermined!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom