TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lavender Lilbit is our problem 'child'. She is the only one that messes with the ornaments. She is also a tunneler, loves to be under a blanket. We keep lap blankets in the tv room and she is forever making her way under one of them. Emily is usually on Steve's lap and Ghost is in mine. Rusty isn't much of a lap cat, but once in a while he has to sit on us. Lilbit likes laying on my chest and shoulder when she isn't under a blanket or on the back of the couch. We don't allow the kitties in our bedrooms, I am allergic and need an allergy free zone.
 
@tiredwife @wolf woman @madinana @Ellejay @TexasTee @Nana moon 27 @gr82cu2 @lavender @Reebok @IrishMike @chestnc @susanne @busylizzie @happymum @Minnie's knees @Celle @dogwheels @Chihuahuan @DogLoverx3 @Maeve @NetballKnees @new knee in June @ConnieJOS @jul @hopefaith @msmechanic58 @bball78 @Yorkimom @Jozilla @amber777 @martyz4 @Pumpkln @Jane B. @busymum @kneeper @yiayia3 @Judlepip @H2OPoloMom and there are others I should include.

I sometimes forget to post on my thread, as In and out of other threads.

My Update - doing more around the house and out and about more without the cane for a few weeks now.
Feeling more confident, although still about unsure when out and about in a crowded place.
Feeling comfortable driving and it's great to have that independence.

Having friends over for dinner, but more important for laughs and "the Craic"(Irish term for fun).

Visited The National Rehabilitation Centre in Dublin, a specialist long term hospital for those with severe and life alternating injuries. It humbled me to see the spirit and effort of those there and put my TKR recovery into perspective.

Letting go of my disappointment at the slow Flexion increase and realising that my recovery is what it is.
And that has been good for my spirit.

Up the stairs good, down the stairs still needs a bit more work, but that will come - no worries.

Some stiffness, but no real pain and can get by most days with only 2 Panadol (Tylenol)

Even "thinking" of going to the driving range in a week or two for a bit of practice.
One of my friends has booked us for 9/12 holes the first week in December and using a Golf Buggy to get around the course.

Starting to really feel that I will be walking "The Camino de Santiago" in 2015, that was my pre-surgery promise to myself. That is an important goal for me.

Looking forward to the start of the Christmas Season and feel that the TKR will not get in the way of the joy and fun of the Season. Will do a bit of on-line shopping to avoid the madness of the crowds.

Bought tickets for me & DH to see Don McLean "Bye Bye Ms. American Pie".
Felt that my new knee deserved a treat ! :heehee:

Getting the old me/pre TKR back and feeling positive.

However, this is my story and I do realise that for others their story, at the moment, may not be the same.

It is important to understand that each if us is on our own individual journey and when we begin, we don't know where it will take us and how long the journey will be. BoneSmart is with us each day of our journey.

That's my update and where I am at the moment,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora, Cathie, I have to apologize that I haven't been on your thread in such a long time! You always write on so many threads and I seem to always reply on them and forget about checking your thread. Anyway, I just caught up and your girl's weekend (yes it was that far back) and it sounded fabulous! Your Irish breakfast sounds good, except I'm not sure about the black and white pudding? I think that's what it was. I had to laugh when you wrote about your regular breakfast of shredded wheat and no one else wanting that. That's one of my favorites and it is good for you too.
I'm so happy for you that your knee is doing so well. Just keep working on your ROM, it will improve with time. I bet you can't wait to get out on the golf course. I think it's wise to go to the driving range first. You will have so much fun. I'm jealous as I will have to wait until April before I get back on the course. I would probably be able to physically do it a little sooner, but I'm a fair weather golfer and don't like to golf below the 50's. We do get a nice day here and there in March, but I don't count on it.
I hope you have a great weekend. Anne
 
Cathie, it's so nice to read that you are doing well and enjoying life and all the activities again. I know for myself, at this time, I feel like just living life and doing things as normally as possible is what will bring additional ROM and as healing continues those activities will naturally become more frequent. There will be some days when we may have to slow down a bit or take it easier but those days will be getting fewer and further between and definitely already have. Now, if I could just fast forward 3 months or so with this next one I could be seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel :) Kent and I were talking last night about another trip over to Europe and when I might feel like I can handle it. I think I should be feeling pretty confident about it by next fall. So, I have something to work for and look foward to :)
 
@marmora - I love seeing all the things on your list of things to do! Chiefly, enjoy your life and long live Craic! The weather is finally not super hot in Texas so I hope to get in some time on the course soon, as well. I'll look forward to seeing how your new knee likes golf!
 
Cathie @marmora you have certainly embraced your new knee. It is so nice to see such a positive outcome for you. Being able to do normal things and enjoy life is my goal and you seem to have accomplished that.

I love Christmas and have already done some of my shopping. With 5 grandkids I have to start early.
 
@marmora It is inspiring to hear about your many activities and varied interests. I tend to not do much besides work and outside of that my life seems centered around food. I love to cook and try new recipes, and we love to go out to dinner often, too. But seeing what all you are involved in makes me realize I need to diversify my life some! I do still feel that I'm in my element while working and running my business. It takes time and effort so I may not get to do a lot of new things until I can retire, which will have to be 7 or 8 more years! I would need to draw social security and get on Medicare to be able to afford to retire, so I may as well just "bloom where I'm planted" and be satisfied.
 
Janet @gr82cu2

You and Kent have the right idea to plan a trip for next fall with with 2 new knees.
I know that forward goals work for me.

Thinking of you theses last few days and especially on Tuesday.

Cathie x
 
Thanks Cathie. I'm excited to be able to think about going again. With our last trip I devoted myself nearly full time type hours for 6 months to planning and reserving. I literally booked planes, trains, boats and automobiles....apartments, hotels, sight seeing excursions and the whole shebang. And I loved every minute of it. It's definitely something I can do with my feet up :)
 
@gr82cu2 @marmora I think we have pretty much settled on Cancun in May 2015. With my last surgery October 21, that is great motivation to work hard at rehab, lose weight, and get strong by then. I'll be one hot Bonesmartie in Mexico!
 
Hi Cathie ... How lovely to see that you are feeling more confident and you have such lovely forward plans and things to look forward to. I will have to try and emulate you and try to let go of my disappointment at lack of flexion ... I won't hold my breath though. Even just the thought of those at that National Rehabilitation Centre makes me feel ashamed of myself. You are right - seeing such brave people like that certainly does put things into perspective. I do think that there are people so much worse off than myself, but it's kind of like talking the talk without walking the walk.

I am so glad your friends are laughing and 'craicing' with you.

I hope these positive, happy feelings you are having continue and you just go from strength to strength in your recovery.

By the way ... jealous about seeing Don McLean. It will be a great concert I am sure.

Take Cathie ... Hugs ... Ellen
 
Hello Ellen @NetballKnees

I have to go over to your thread after writing this, as somewhere on someone's pots, you said that you would be or are considering retiring soon. It's hard to catch up when there are so many threads and I often forget to go to the individual thread of the person.

I guess that I felt that my TKR recovery wasn't going to have the time scale that I wanted, it would have the time scale for recovery that was possible. I would like great Flexion and extension and that may or may not come, I would like to be totally pain free throughout the day, but that isn't the case at present.

So, the only way is to accept where I'm at in this recovery for the moment and hope for better days to come. But, not to let my TKR hold me back from what I would like to do, I may have to adapt to what is possible and accept that I'm not ready to climb mountains, but I can walk to the shops and in the park and along the beach.

Looking forward has always been my way, as I can't change the past, today is today, but tomorrow is still in my hands.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Connie @ConnieJOS

Mexico and Cancun won't know what hit them when you arrive in May 2015 !
I always believe that we all need something or a goal to help,us get through our TKRs.

Cathie
 
Janet @gr82cu2

I love planning holiday travel and it's almost as exciting as the actual trip.
Planning your next holiday trip will certainly be good for the spirit during your recovery.

Cathie
 
I hope to walk around England, Ireland, and Wales and look at gardens. Simple things. Maybe visit towns were my ancestors lived, both in England and Normandy. (and because I'm like a lot of Americans, several other countries!)

I've read British fiction since I was a kid. I've only been to London for a few days and took a day trip to Bath.

There were these children to raise, and then I went back to work. That took me out of circulation for over a decade.

Have a lovely day, evening, or night, Ladies and Gentleman!
 
@Jane B. If you make it to Normandy I suggest you definitely hire a guide. We used Normandy Sightseeing Tours and they were fantastic! Be prepared, it is a very emotional experience when you get to the cemetery. As beautiful as it was/is our emotions didn't allow us to stay long and we had to leave. The tears were just rolling thinking of how many died there and most of them were kids really. It's just so sad seeing all those thousands of crosses. There were more than a few of these unknown soldiers which is really gut wrenching. My husband took this picture there.

[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR on 17 July
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom