TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good tired yes,
flaked out in front if the telly, watching XFactor UK.

Cathie
 
@marmora Still waiting!
[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR on 17 July
 
Hello @jul @tiredwife @gr82cu2 @Minnie's knees @Jane B. @wolf woman @lavender @H2OPoloMom

I've returned !

The weekend was lovely and as we say here in Ireland "Great Craic" that means great fun !

Friday, first of the friends called over about 4:45 after a cup of tea started to get ready and had a mini Fashion show. She had brought three outfits and we had to choose which to wear that night.

Second friend called over about 6:30 - no fashion show she came in what she would be wearing .

The two friends were staying the night.

Off to the Golf & Sports Club for the 7:30 Prosecco and Canapé Reception - yummy prawns in a light batter and other delights.

Into the dining room about 8:15 and after grace and an introduction to the wines of the night by a wine importer who was sponsoring the wines.

Lovely 4 course meal with Risotto with Duck Confit for starter,Beef Wellington as the main course and then a cheese board and dessert plate.

A different glass or two of wine for each course and there was a long interval between courses, which was very good, as it allowed the wine to settle and the Wine Expert spoke about each wine.

Lots of laughs and we didn't get up from the table until 11:45 pm and then a taxi home.
Being Irish, a cup of tea (mine is always herbal tea) before we all headed to bed about 12:15/12:30.

Slept soundly, only wake at my usual time at 2:30 for toilet and back to sleep until 8:00 am.

Up and made a traditional Irish Breakfast for the three of us, more tea,...more laughs and No One was the worse from the night before. The friends left about 12 noon and drove me back to the Club to collect my car from the night before.

No need for the ice for my head - thankfully.

I called over to another friend for the afternoon and then felt good enough to drive to a local shopping centre for a bit of shopping, new pants, top and Cardigan in Marks & Spencer's.

Another friend called round after dinner, as she knew my husband was away for the weekend.
More cups of tea and then watching the UK X-Factor.

Sunday, two sons came over for Sunday Dinner which is lovely to have two of three sons living in Dublin.
Husband home about 6:30, so able to join us for dinner.

Monday, back to normal, at home PT and then an hour in the therapy pool, kept it a very relaxing day, looked at a few BS posts and bed about 10:30 pm.

From last Wednesday, feel the knee has taken a turn for the better, less painful, more flexible and greeting up/down stairs with little problem. Not limping when walking, and can even forget that I have a TKR, as without pain for long parts of the day.

Naturally decreasing medication, as very little pain. Not taking this for granted and know that things could take a step backward.

Having lunch now after exercise session in the YMCA and off again to the therapy pool at 2:45.

Sorry if the weekend report wasn't exciting, but it was great fun and lovely to have the "girls" over for a sleep over. We worked together and make an effort to keep in contact and meet monthly and always texting or ringing to keep up to date.

Take care to all,
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely, lovely weekend. We do need to get out and about after a TKR, you start getting stir crazy looking at all four walls. And you managed Marks and Spenser! Well done. You are an inspiration to me that things will continue to get better. I'm at a bit of a bump/lump at almost five weeks.
 
Cathie, your weekend sounds wonderful! Not boring at all :) I'm especially happy to hear your knee has taken a turn for the better and to think you can even, at times, forget you have a new knee is very exciting. :wowspring: I can't wait for that feeling.
 
@marmora Hi Cathie So nice to hear you had such a nice weekend with your friends and time to do some fun stuff. The food they served to you sounds so good and great you had a chance to go. Sometimes just gettin out and doing something to take your mind off things makes things feel better remember the feeling before I drove again of needing to get back a bit more to normal we had been so active and then inside for a longer while other then medical stuff. Things are going to get even better as you go along you will see so many things you can do again and that makes a lot of difference.

Just curious what do you have for your breakfast tradition sound like it was really good. I like tea to can only drink coffee with sugar which I cant' have but remembering when I worked starting at 6 am in the store office I started to drink coffee for maybe a month and found coffee Raspberry chocolate flavored and really liked it but then found liked tea more but still liked that flavor now only drink tea.although I am from a long line of coffee drinkers. Wishing you a great day and hope your knee is making things easier on you. Holly
 
@marmora It sounds like you had a great and busy weekend with your friends and family. You deserve it! I am also curious about a traditional Irish breakfast.
 
Hello Kathy @Minnie's knees and Holy @lavender,

This is a traditional Irish breakfast.
One egg fried
Half of a grilled tomatoe
2 pork sausages
2 slices of back bacon
1-2 pieces of white and/or Black Pudding ( an Irish Blood sausage mixed with oats and spices)
1-2 slices toast - preferably brown bread
Then lashings & lashings of hot tea ( lashings means several cups or pots of tea)

This calorie laden and cholesterol inducing breakfast is now a rare treat for most Irish people on a daily basis.

On the farms where my grandfather and uncles lived, they would be up early to milk the cows and then come in about 9 am to this kind of breakfast.

It is too yummy and it is the black or white pudding that makes it an Irish breakfast.
An English breakfast usually includes baked beans and sauté mushrooms.

Cathie
 
Hi Cath, @marmora ,
So very pleased to read that your knee is starting to do the right thing!! Very exciting to read. Glad you have been able to reduce your pain meds too.
My knee has been a little bit better too. I have 100 flex now which is very thrilling to me bahaha and I have sometimes forgotten to take my lunchtime meds to. I have been sleeping better also which just feels like heaven!
I do have a swelling behind my knee with dark bruises both sides of it running downwards, I put the ice behind my knee a lot so it is still a bit painful there. Maybe that bruise draining?
.All in all we are doing well.
I loved reading about your girls night sounds like so much fun, good on you!
Keep well and take care, keep getting out there and enjoying life :snork:
Love Deb
 
Hi @marmora!! You can invite me for that breakfast any time!! I'll just hop on the non-stop and in 9 hours or so I'll be tucking in! I even can say I like black pudding - have had it several times on my travels, but not the Irish version. And I really want to visit Ireland!! Maybe after TKR #2! AND - Your weekend sounds heavenly; you so deserved it. It is such a lift to the spirit to get times like that after the not so great recovery times after surgery.

That your knee is starting to turn the corner is exciting, isn't it? My PT said that at about 4 months I'd notice another plateau of positive change. She was right, so You Go Girl!!
 
Cathie, sounds like you have reached a milestone with your knee.

Well done.

That irish breakfast sounds like a good start to the day.
But You should tell people that the reason it is so substantial is that they used to then work till sundown without a break. They earned every mouthful of breakfast.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Deb @happymum
Hi @Ollie
Hi Reebok

You're all invited to Dublin for an Irish Breakfast anytime and this invitation extends to all my other BoneSmart friends.

Well, for breakfast today it was 2 Shredded Wheat with Skim milk and banana and a peppermint tea to follow.
Don't think that I'd get many takers for that breakfast - but it's my usual alternating with a soft boiled egg and whole meal toast on other days.

@happymum Deb, good to hear that your knee is getting better and 100 Flexion is great ! And that you are naturally reducing your medications. It is the small steps that add up to the big achievement.

@Ollie - you must try Irish Black Pudding, so a trip to Ireland should be on your agenda for the future.

@Reebok - yes, the Irish breakfast is an all day meal filler. And it takes the day with hard work to burn off all the calories.

Take care to you all,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom