Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora
Cathie,

Hope everything went well today with your doctor appointments.
Things will hopefully settle down now, they should be able to work your meds better and find a solution to your high blood sugar levels.

Don't worry about the knee, it will take care of itself, it may have reached it's next plateau before it moves on to the next level of recovery. You may also find that when your blood sugar levels reduce that you have a better recovery path.

You are right to sort out the diabetes issues so that you can concentrate on your recovery. Remember not to push yourself to much (that was my initial problem with my right knee) - push a little but not too much!

Take care

Mike
 
@Ellejay my sugars were already around 200 and I had a shot in both knees on same day. I take oral prednisone for my RA and it also elevates my sugars. It may not affect everyone the same way it does me. I have labs done every 6 weeks due to my RA meds and my A1C every 3 months for the diabetes. Hopefully, everything is okay with you but it never hurts to mention to your Dr if you have any concerns.
 
Hope all went well with your appt. post when you can.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@marmora, wondering how you are. Sending you best wishes, you are so supportive to me and other bonesmarties. It does help me to get through this long road knowing I'm not alone. Take care
 
Hello @wolfwomen @IrishMike @Jozilla @Ellejay @dogwheels @tiredwife @lavender @chestnc @pumpkin @gr82cu2 @Jane B. @Minnie's knees @Yorkimom @busylizzie @Maeve @happymum @madinana @jul @hopefaith @Celle @Reebok @amber777 @Nana moon 27 @Ollie @busylizzie
and all my other BoneSmart friends that I haven't listed- sorry,

Thank you for much for your concern and warm wishes and sorry that I have taken so long to update you on my appointments on Thursday.

It really touched my heart reading your posts and I could feel the friendship and bonds that we have made with each other across continents and time zones.

Didn't sleep too well on Wednesday night, as I was afraid that I wouldn't hear the 6 am alarm.
But, was awake before the alarm and out of the house by 6:45 am and arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am before the doctor and his secretary for my 8:00 am appointment.

The doctor was lovely and made me feel very comfortable and at ease.
By coincidence he had orthopaedic foot surgery 18 months prior with my OS and has pins in his foot.

We talked about that first and he gave me a message for my OS who I was seeing at 10:45.
"Please tell Professor ____________ that the pins are staying in for the time being and it may be awhile before I see him".

(Doctors/surgeons who also lecture in University are called Professor rather than Doctor Smith or Mr. Smith
(if they are a surgeon). The Endocrinologist is also a University Professor.

He took my history had the results of my July 2014 pre-op blood work and my HbA1c had been 43 (6.1).
The HbA1c is a blood reading of the last 120 days and is the average reading. The goal is "under 7.0 is heaven".

Told him the in the last few weeks readings ranged from 7.0 to 14.2 and that initially the hospital, rehab centre and my GP said not to be concerned, as it is not uncommon after surgery for the blood glucose level to be raised and if after a few more weeks it was still elevated, to see my Endocrinologist.

We discussed my usual diet and activity level and he felt that the raise Blood Glucose levels could be the result of decreases activity as pre-op was playing golf 1-2 times per week, walking most days for 45-60 minutes, and generally keeping busy.

And possibly as I had been changed to a new blood thinning medication Xarelto in hospital that it may also have an effect. Unlikely, but anything new can effect Blood Glucose levels.

He didn't feel that I have a need for insulin at this time.

Continue with my daily injection of Victoza(a non-insulin injectable medication for Type 2 Diabetes).
He also then prescribed 500 mg Metophage 2 tablets (1000 mg total) in addition to the Victoza daily and 'indefinitely'.

He then sent me for blood work and if it showed any thing out of the ordinary, he would contact me.

Most reassuring he gave me his cell/mobile number and to ring him if I had any other concerns (it's probably not his private one, but one he gives to patients).

My current Endocrinologist is a lovely man and a real gentleman and I have great respect for him.
He retired about 4 years ago from the Public Health System at age 65, but continued his private practice.
He had been unwell last year and again this year, so I felt that I might have to look for another Endocrinologist when he would retire from Private Practice at age 70.

The Doctor/Professor that I saw on Thursday told me that he would be taking on some of the patients on my current Endocrinologists' retirement.

So, in a way it was an opportune time for this appointment, to see what he was like before I had to make a decision to find a new Endocrinologist.

I left his office feeling relieved and that this new course of treatment should get the Blood Glucose levels under control and along with increased activity as the knee allows, should be back on track in a few weeks.

Then into the car and across town to my OS appointment.

The first thing I said to him was, "I was in Tallaght Hospital this morning with Professor_________ and he wanted me to pass on a message to you. I told him the message that the pins were staying in for the time being.
And the OS laughed and said, next time you see him,tell him,"we'll see, they have to come out sometime and see how he gets through the cold and damp winter with them left in".

The OS had me walk around the room, examined the knee and incision, 'eye- balled my Flexion and extension".

And felt they had improved since my 6 week appointment.

I told him that the swelling and stiffness continued to be my major concern and that I felt that was stopping the improvement in Flexion and extension. And also told him about waking at night, pain increasing with activities, discouraged feelings of lack of progress.

He told me that it could take 6 months or longer for the swelling and stiffness to go and that it was still early days and that some people take longer to recover.and could be up to 12 months before the knee starts to behave.

He felt that I had greatly improved from my 6 week appointment.
Not to be so hard on myself and to take it slowly and one day at a time.
This was major surgery and it takes a major recovery time period.

I am to continue to use one cane when out of the house and when I felt comfortable and safe stop using it.
Continue with private PT, if I wanted and the therapy pool would be very good at helping with exercise.

He will see me again on 8 January 2015 and expects that I will be greatly improved with greater Flexion and extension.

Felt, that he really didn't tell me anything that I didn't know, but happy that he felt that the thought of a MUA should be far from my mind, as it is not something he would even be thinking about for me.

Was very tried and relieved after my day and home to rest, ice and elevate.
And then out to Bridge lesson on Thursday night.
And slept :chillpill: well that night, only awake once at about 3 am for pain relief and to re-ice the knee.


Well, that is my long saga and it does have a happier ending that when I last posted.

Really do want to say to each of you again that, I was very touched by your concern and that is the best medicine of all- knowing that someone cares,

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @marmora - Cathie
This is in haste as I am just getting a few last bits sorted, before we leave in the morning. Sadly I don't think we will have time to play in the thermal spas - too much to see and do on a first visit!
Just wanted to say how pleased I am that your various appointments went well and that there is no cause for concern in either camp.
You will be following in my footsteps 'slowly and gently'.
Take care and although I will keep an eye on whats going on next week I may not be posting too much. Like Nana moon I tend to go a bit boss-eyed trying to access with an iphone. I will catch up properly once I am back.
XX
 
Hello and Bon Voyage Chris @dogwheels
Thank you for your post

Enjoy ! Enjoy ! Enjoy ! Your time in Budapest.

I am off to watch X-Factor then Downtown Abbey.
Husband at a Rugby match and not home until 10 p.m. or after all the post - match chat is over.

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cathie, I'm so happy to read your appointments went well. We were all so worried when you didn't post. So, don't do that again, LOL!!!!

It is frustrating to be told what you already know isn't it? We hope someone will say everything will be like new again in only a couple more days. If only it were that easy or definite. I guess we're made to be patient, like it or not. This is truly the biggest test of patience I've ever had to deal with.

Do you have the new season of Downton Abbey? We always have to wait months past when it is released over there. I can't wait! The break between seasons is so long. We've considered buying the dvd's or see if it is on Netflix and rewatching from the beginning. Enjoy it!
 
Hello Janet @gr82cu2

Sorry I didn't post, was just a bit drained by the Wednesday lack of sleep.

Thank you for your post on the couch watching the UK X-Factor and ad break, so catching up on posts.

It is the new season on Downton Abbey.
But, my TV frustration is that we won't get the new Grey's Anatomy until January 2015 - torture !!!

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora, I am glad everything went OK with your appointments. Three of my specialists that I see are also profs. I am unable to take Victoza because of other medical conditions. Going on Insulin was good for me. I didn't really have a choice after the knee injection . I'm only on low doses and I am able to keep my blood sugars low enough to ward off complications. My diabetes is one thing I can be in control of and I do control it well, I just wish I could excerise more. I was on diet only for about 10 years and low carbed. I have been wheat intolerant most of my life, so cutting down carbs wasn't a real problem.
 
I just googled and learned we'll get the new season in January. I've never watched Grey's Anatomy and have no idea what it is even about. So, I can't even drop you a few spoilers ;)
 
@marmora

Cathie,

Welcome back! I am pleased that things went well last week.

Hope your husband supports Munster because if he is not, he will be unhappy when he gets home (I assume he was at the match?)

Hang in there, things will start to improve over the next few weeks - it took nearly 10 weeks for my stitches to heal, you can imagine how frustrated I was during those first weeks but it did get better.

Take care

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom