TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Julie @jul

I admire you, getting up at 5:30 am, working a full day after 5 weeks post-op !:yay:

You OS is right, your work is your PT and more.

I'm not at work, the YMCA is literally at the end of my garden. But, as I can't hop over the garden wall, I have to walk around for about 5 minutes to get there and the therapy pool is a ten minute walk.
So, getting to these activities are easy for me to get to.

Even with all my activities my Flexion is still 95 -100 and extension -5/-8.
It just goes to show that we all recovery differently and not to compare our recovery with anyone else.

I can understand that it is daunting to think about your pending RTKR. Do you have a surgery date yet ?

My pain is much greater than before surgery and it sometimes makes me think should I have waited- actually couldn't wait and it had to be done.

Bone Smart is a great place to ramble and give out and also celebrate small achievements.

Take care Julie, I think you're doing fantastic !
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, you were way ahead of me checking out pools! I guess it's just one of those times to be patient and look ahead to next summer.
 
@marmora good morning Cathy no I haven't got a date yet my os is suggested I wait and see how I pull up with my left one and I no it needs to be done sooner rather than later due to it being bone on bone and how it is affecting my walking now.

I admire you I think you are doing great to be so active but can I please ask why are you in more pain now than before you poor thing I feel for you.

I am comparing the pain at the moment to the both and I have to say even though my knee and leg ache at night and hurt at some stages through out the day and can be numb and swollen I don't think it's as bad as the pain before only because my right one reminds me so often.

I was at the stage I couldn't walk very far before I needed a regs I felt so bad as my husband is quite active and we have been on quite a few holidays and one I can remember was France and Italy I couldn't walk very far and felt I missed out on a lot of things to see because of them.

I do hope you are rewarded very soon for all your kindness on here and also the effort you put into it.


Julie
 
Hello Julie @jul

You're are probably sleeping comfortably as I write this or just about to get up at 5:30 am.

It's 23:40 here in Dublin. I'm tucked into bed with my Cryo Cuff, just taken 2 Solpadiene and catching up on posts before I turn out the lights.

My left knee had it's first major injury when I was 15 with torn ligaments.
And has been bothering me off and on since then.

Until I was about 25 I was very involved in competitive Irish dancing and due to the many hours of rehearsals on concrete floors all of the dancing group I was in, we have all had TKRs or THRs.

My pre surgery pain was mainly a dull ache and flared up with hill walking or active sports.
Took up golf in September 2013 without any problem. Never needed or took pain meds for the knee.

Diagnosed with Oestoarthritis and mild bone on bone pain , when walking downhill or pivoting a few years ago. Had to stop going out with my Hill Walking Club on Saturdays about 3 years ago.

I had a bad fall in February 2012 and hyperextended the knee, arthroscopy in Sept 2012 and after that the knee would buckle, increased pain, and I would limp slightly after walking more than 20 minutes.
But, able to carry out most of the activities that I wanted.

In June 2014, while turning to fill a glass with water from the tap, the turning caused my meniscus to tear.
This was 7 days before my son's Wedding.
MRI and X-rays should increased degeneration and as I had 2 previous Arthroscopies, the OS felt time was right for the TKR. Surgery then about 3 weeks after the wedding.

My 24/7 pain is about 2/3 all the time and can increase with activity.
But, it is the tight band feeling from 2inches above my knee cap to 5 inches below the knee cap that is so very uncomfortable.

I do ice throughout the day after exercise or walking.
But, the tight band feeling is always there to some extent. So, that's why I said that the pain is greater now after surgery.

Take care and hope you have a chance to ice at work and that your day isn't too hectic.
Cathie
 
Hello all, @wolf woman @Jozilla @Ellejay @dogwheels @tiredwife @lavender @madinana @chestnc @gr82cu2 @Pumpkln @Celle @Jane B. @Minnie's knees @Yorkimom @bball78 @Nana moon 27 @TexasTee @hopefaith
And anyone that I have forgotten.

Going to head to bed early tonight and leave the IPad downstairs, as I now have a doctor's appointment at 8 a.m. Before my OS appointment at 10:45 a m and they are in two hospitals a considerable distance apart.

I am also a type 2 Diabetic and from post-op day 1, my Blood Sugar levels have been elevated.
While in the hospital for 7 days and then in Rehab for 14 days, the levels were never lower then 7.0 (know that you have a different measurement system in the USA).

My normal is about 5.0 to 6.3.
Was told not to worry, that it was probably an after effect from the TKR surgery and narcotics and other meds and would settle down once I was off those and more active.

I am on victoza 1.6 by injection each morning.
victoza is not insulin, but is used for Type 2 diabetes.

The levels have never gone down and in fact increasing from 7.2 to a high today of 13.4.
Rang my Endocrinologist Doctor who monitors my diabetes and Hypothyroidism to make an appointment for the next week.

His secretary told me that he was seriously ill and hadn't been working since end of September and that another doctor was taking on some of his patients.

She would ring this doctor and tell him my readings and that I was post-op TKR.
She rang back later in the afternoon to say that the doctor wanted to see me at 8 am on Thursday morning and implied that it was important for me to see him a.s.a.p.

So, will be up at 6:00 am and leave the house about 6:30/45 am and drive to the hospital and meet with him.

I will probably have to return next week for some tests and wouldn't be surprised if I will have to go onto insulin.
Was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2002, so it is not unexpected.

Then when that appointment is completed, back into the car to drive to another hospital for my OS appointment at 10:45 a m

Knee today is very stiff and painful and Flexion and extension dismal.
Will be anxious to see what the OS thinks about my progress.

Take care all and will update you tomorrow.

Cathie
 
Have a good sleep Cathie. I admit I'm woefully ignorant about diabetes. No one in my family has ever had it so I just don't know too much about it. I do know it is important to monitor and keep it under control. I hope everything is alright for you and you are able to get your sugar levels where they need to be.

Be sure and let us know what you find out and also about your OS appointment. Good luck!
 
Oh drat, Cathie. Please let us know what the two doctors say. I can't imagine any sport more injurious to knees than Irish dancing!

My brother has type 2 diabetes, but all I know is that he lost weight and has it under control.

And I'm not thrilled that you have continued pain in your knee. It is such a roll of the dice whether one has a good outcome or a not so good outcome.

I'll be thinking about you.
 
@marmora, I'm type 2 diabetic too. I'm on insulin as I can't tolerate oral diabetic medications. I was diet controlled for years until I had an haluronic ( sp)/steroid injection in my knee and my blood sugars went out of spec. All the surgeries and painkillers affect my blood sugars and I really have to work to get them back under control. My HbA1c is usually in the low sixes. Good luck with your appointments tomorrow.
 
@marmora , hopefully you are fast asleep now and probably won't see this until after your busy morning tomorrow, but I just wanted to drop in to wish you well. I'm so sorry to hear about all the complications you are having to contend with, I hope that your two appointments help with some of the issues. Do let us know how you get on, I'll be back for a chat tomorrow. Lyn xxx
 
Hi @marmora Hope they can help you with your pain and I understand the effect that medications can have on sugar levels for those of us who are diabetic can be very frustrating . My levels were pretty steady during surgery and and then after the started to change. Since my cortisone shot the levels have gone up a bit again and I was warned this would happen the day of the shot. New medication I was given for blood pressure is also making keeping it how it was before the coritsone shot actually got it down pretty alright and then when picking up the medication told it is also know to raise blood sugar. Sometimes you feel like your body has its own ideas and feels sometimes like a uphill battle. Hope all goes well at your appointments and wishing you the best. holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cathie @marmora

I had no clue you dealt with sugar issues. That is not another snap for us, and of that, I am greatful. However, I am terribly sorry for you. Will be thinking about you tomorrow, hoping it all goes much better than you anticipate.

As for the knee, your tight band will get better. Mine did, but still haunts me on occasion. I had my first "ah ha" moment today. An old friend from way back came to visit. While he was here, we noticed a strange little dog in the street in front of my house. I did a fast walk out the front door, no cane, nothing, and tried to apprehend the dog. No luck. But suddenly I found myself navigating uneven ground with no assistive devices. I did step in a hole and thought I was going down, but Glenn jumped (karate expert) and grabbed my arm. But, by the time he got to me I had stabilized myself. It felt pretty good! It was like I almost believe I will get better! Just as you will too.

Please post as soon as you can tomorrow to bring us up to speed on doc reports.

Mary
 
Hi Cath, @marmora
Sorry to hear about your blood sugar sagas. :( As if you don't have enough to contend with hey?) Could the high blood sugar be contributing to your knee swelling and pain?
I hope that you have a good nights sleep and wake well rested for the day x Remember its early days yet for us.
Sending some Aussie good wishes and prayers your way.
Love from Deb
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @marmora ,
I'm very sorry to hear of your health issues. All the very best for getting them under control.!
You are such an inspiration to me...so positive and so active..I've made you my role model for my recovery post TKR on October 9! I know you will get your mojo back as soon as the disbetes is stabilised! Sending positive thougts your way!
 
@marmora Hey Cathy and here I was just about to have a sook about myself :umm:

I hope it all goes well for you and as i have said before you are amazing how much you do and how active you are so I think once you know what your looking at you will get straight onto it and deal with it :thumb: I don't know much about it either as others have said so I can't really say to much only that I hope you get a break real soon and things start looking up for you as you deserve it.:angel:

Ill go over to my post and have a sook there :secret:

Hope to hear from you real soon my thoughts are with you.

Julie
 
@marmora Sorry to hear about your elevated sugars and hopefully both appointments will go well. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2010 and with my last cortisone injections on both knees my sugars went to 453 which is very high. I take 2 oral meds but haven't been very good with my diet. My Dr recently put me insulin as needed until after the surgery and recovery as he said the elevated sugars can affect healing. OS doesn't want to do any more injections because of the sugars and not much relief. That is what pushed me to move forward with the surgery.
 
Hope all went well this morning @marmora, I'm sitting here resting after my cortisone injection, thinking of you and sending best wishes.
@Minnie's knees - I had no idea that these shots could cause any disruption to blood sugar levels, I don't think I have a diabetes problem, but as my mother went blind as a result of it maybe I should get a test, especially as I've just had my 6th injection! I was thinking of asking for blood / liver function tests anyway, I've consumed so many pain killers recently, and with a 2nd TKR coming up, it might be a good idea to see how my body is coping with all these chemicals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom