Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Holly @lavender

It is a lovely warm September morning here and heading out for my morning walk.
Hope that you day is pleasant and that you and your husband have a walk in your parl.

Cathie
 
@marmora
Good morning Cathie, you send me so many friendly, supportive messages, I thought it was about time I found your thread to reply. Thank you for all your support, I don't know where you find the time to send all your messages, you seem to be out walking most of the day or doing PT, or using that fabulous pool. I had a couple of sessions in a pool which sounds very similar, in a special school, very warm, fitted with hoist etc... but the problem was that it wasn't open to the public as such, my PT would hire it for private 1:1 sessions, so it was very costly. I only had two sessions but then used the skills I learned in the learner pool at our public baths, between 7 & 9 am it was for adults only.
Please don't worry about your ROM, just continue what you're doing, it will all work out. As you can see from my signature, it took me four months to be able to cycle again, but at eight months my right knee is just perfect, I love it. It's a shame the left one has really let me down so I'm not getting the benefit of my new knee, but as soon as that one is replaced there will be no stopping me.
Have a lovely day, Lyn xx
 
Hi @marmora, how are you feeling today? Hope you are enjoying your day and the knee is not troubling you. How is the pool therapy going? That sounds so wonderful. Warm water always make those knees and joints feel better. I would have to find one with the right temp and one that is after work. Little tricky. Usually after work I am ready for home bath bed in that order. I try to do my exercises here at home to prevent stiffness and that is about all I can manage at this point. Your get together luncheons weekly also sound great. Isn't it wonderful to be able to drive yourself instead of needing someone to get where you want to go... Take good care of yourself Cathie and have a blessed day. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@marmora Hi Cathie Good to hear you weather is nice today hope you enjoy your walk. Most mornings it is a little cooler and having heavy dew lately but looking like it will warm up last week the days were a lot warmer and really nice. Going to the doctor for a quick stop this morning and he is deciding if he will leave me on the new replacement medication. Until 4 years ago when diagnosed with Diabetes never took anything other then tylenol now more but that is alright if it helps.

How wonderful that you are now driving again and reading you are driving a standard with a clutch amazing that takes a lot of patience and doing it after a replacement congratulations that is great.

I drove a standard just after learning to drive I bought an Austin Mini from a University student back then my brother found it for me and remembering how you needed to use all three feet at once even though we only have 2 feet almost needed three. G rew to like driving a standard but could not imagine trying it after surgery so well done. Remember the first day I started to drive again after talking to the surgeon and say I needed to drive again and how much I felt like on cloud 9 almost like I was walking on the clouds when he approved that I could drive again. I loved getting back to the feeling of freedom to go out and go where we wanted. Made it all much easier but now I drive an automatic so it was much easier.

Feeling much better today missed our walk yesterday and after going to the doctor hoping to have a nice walk in our park. Hope you have a wonderful day pain free and enjoying the beautiful weather. Holly
 
All this talk of driving is making me very jealous. We bought a new car in May, it has been all the way to the South of France, across the Spanish border, across to Western France, we've put thousands on the clock, but I've probably driven it about 20 miles, that's all :sad:. I would love my independence back again.
 
@marmora, Good afternoon! I hope you are doing well.
Yes, Europe whipped our butts!!!! There is always next year. It really is a fun event.
You are right about so many things to learn about bridge. But it is fun. Our ladies golf league runs from April 1 to October 31st. So when I had my first RTKR in December I was more than ready to golf the first of April. I love golfing, but I am not very good...but a I have lots of fun and that to me is what counts. The funny thing about golf is one day you might do well and then the next time you golf you do terrible. It is a very humbling game. I am also in a bowling league and I remember last time I didn't get back to that until the middle of February. I don't know how long it will be this time because when you throw the ball you slide on your left foot, so it might take longer. Anne
 
Hello Jackie @tiredwife
It's about 11:50 pm here and having my second NMES Kneehab treatment. I usually do one first thing in the morning and the second one when going to bed.

Had My 1-1 PT this afternoon and she is happy with my progress and feels that although, I feel it's slow, it is moving in the right direction.

Will go to the therapy pool tomorrow afternoon, the warm water is so comforting.
And see my OS on a Thursday morning for my 10 week check - up.

Walking and doing my at home exercises keeps me fairly busy.

Take care and say hello to Steve for me,
Cathie
 
Hello Anne @Yorkimom

Our ladies golf society runs from 1 September to 15 June, and my OS thinks it will be Christmas before I'm on the driving range and then out for 9 holes. Only started in September 2013.

I am also a social member of a Golf Club, but don't play there yet. But, will when I'm a full member.
That's where I play bridge, in a book club, in the wine club,in the opera appreciation group and have performed with our acting & drama group.

Hope that you will be able to get back to your bowling league in the next few months.

You're nearly 2 weeks post-op, hope that your recovery is comfortable and that all is going well.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora Wow, 10 weeks already! I'm sure you are doing good, seems like most people think they aren't improving when they are. Have fun in the pool tomorrow.
 
Hi @marmora Hope you enjoy your swim to . When you look back to when you had your surgery how many things you can see you have accomplished. And driving how wonderful loved when I started to do it to. @Ellejay hoping you can get to drive soon to.

I did not drive till 8 weeks and this was because with all of the appointments to go to pt no longer could pay for taxis and the bus routes were not close to the place had to go so at least 30.00 a day just for me to get back and forth and really hurt our budget.

Know how much you miss driving I did to and needed to get back to going out in the car as we were also responsible for making sure that my Mom had a way around to her appointments and shopping so I just could not wait too long. Then it seemed I needed to drive all the time.

People were asking why I was taking so long so many do not understand that driving is something that you have to wait to do till you are off medications so at 8 weeks no more medications which were missed as my knee was still sore but had to decided between the cost and time spent in cabs. It all worked out alright in the end.

Hope you get to drive soon and know how you are feeling. And driving a standard car after having your surgery @marmora how wonderful you are doing not the easiest thing to do after surgery . Best wishes Holly
 
Marmots,
Stopping by to say Hello!
Wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posts on my thread. My Mom still plays bridge at 91, she is a good player. I have to be sure to keep up her membership, she says she may want to play in duplicate bridge tourney. None of us kids plays, I think she used to be a little disappointed in us.
Sounds like you are doing well with your recovery.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Marmora, sorry about the spell check, made me laugh so I have left it for you and others to have a chuckle.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@bball78 None in our town have a pool. One has one in the next town over, but what few times we have been in that hotel there are always kids playing in it. Also it doesn't look the cleanest.

You might try pools at schools or at CMSU. They might be able to make arrangements for you to use one of them. I'm surprised there isn't an indoor pool available at Whiteman AFB.
 
Hello Chris @Pumpkln

Yes, I was wondering about "Marmots" - but put it down to drugs! :heehee:

Off to the YMCA this morning to use the stationary bike and cross trainer and then the therapy pool in the afternoon. With the walking and exercises in between these activities, no time to get bored.

Have a great day,
Cathie
 
@Ellejay

I do find time also to chill and relax, but up at 6:30/7:00 am most mornings, so time to fit it in.

More physically busy post- retirement and hope to get back to full speed in about 6 months post-op.
Planning on a walking holiday with 6 friends to walk The Camino de Santiago for 7 to 10 days :hiking:
next April or September 2015.

:walking: :swim::treadmill::upright: :chillpill: :ice: sums up most of my days post TKR

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora Hi Cathie
I wish I had your energy and the love for your activities but i just don't and the walking you do I always said once I had this op I can't wait as I want to walk with out the pain but I just don't have the drive to do it and then to also fit in exicses it just makes me feel bad but I am properly just making excuses for being lazy. :sad:

When I read about how other people doing the same as you i think I need to get my act into gear.
Right now I have not long got home from work thought about icing and elevating but sometimes its just to inconvenient as I want to quickly jump on here to try and have a read and post some support and my progress but it takes up so much time and it goes so fast before i no it I have to have tea and get ready for bed for another day of work starting at getting up at 5.30 am. :yawn:

I get public transport and were i can i try not to walk to far as my right knees is not liking its new partner the LTKR and also I have fallen arches in my feet which I now have new orthotics to wear but I am taking that slow as my knees hurt if I wear the new ones to long due to the change in walking habits.

I also still use my crutches going to work as I don't trust the public and also to make sure I get a seat as sometimes that is impossible and the journey can be about an hour but I don't use them as much as i can at work.

My OS has said not to worry about my excises to much as being at work is my PT right there but I just worry its not enough. I do some heal slides in the morning as it is a bit stiff in the morning and also at night. I don't no what my ROM is or flexion as I haven't been back to the PT since I tried the pool and did to much and on the recommendation of my OS was told to take it slow and just walk and no pool for a while.

It does quite often feel a little tight and swollen but the time I do get home form work I am not in a lot of pain but just a few niggles here and there but at night it can ache and it is impossible to find a comfy position for to long.

I can do full rotation on a bike and I will try to put the seat down again soon.

I am 9 weeks PO today and went back to work 5 weeks PO. Sometime I have hot flushes and feel axious and irritable and i get worried that I amy not go through with the second one but I no i have to but it just scares you a little to think to go through all this again.

I have to say though the arthritic pain was a lot worse than what i have now in my LTKR and I also walked bowed legged so Im guessing it is going to take a while for the legs and body to get use to the new way of walking seems it took 15 odd years to get to that state is the first place and we expect to walk normal in weeks thats what we have to realize

Sorry for all the rambling.

You seem to know what you want and are going for it and that is great and you will get there as you have got that in you no matter how long it will take .

Julie
 
@Jamie The college only allows students and alumni to use their stuff. Also with the amount of students that are probably using it I don't think hubby would want to risk being bumped, same with the outdoor pool at the community center, and the indoor one has too many kids. On the base is an outdoor pool, but it usually is crowded. That's okay, he will manage with exercise and walking. After he is fully healed (next summer) he might go to the pool on base, just doesn't want to risk it now.

@marmora Hope you have had a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom