TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning @Jamie

As always great advice and very much appreciated.

It is hard for me to work out an exercise routine and also be aware of the swelling that can follow and still achieve ROM.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Good Morning @Jamie

As always great advice and very much appreciated.

It is hard for me to work out an exercise routine and also be aware of the swelling that can follow and still achieve ROM.

Take care,
Cathie

When you work out the balance between not enough and too much, please let us all know.
I for one cant work it out.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@marmora
Hello Cathie!

Seems a Long time since we have been in communication, even though it has been but days. Just wanted to say I am happy that you had a good weekend with family. When I am not in pain and with friends, it's briefly as if nothing ever happened. I live for those moments and hope that you had many. Here's to many more of those!

Will you be able to have more hydro time? Is this a regular pool with water that is above average temperature? Just curious how that works there.

Mary
 
Hello Mary @wolf woman

Yes, it is good to have time with family & friends away from thoughts of our TKRs.
Last week was busy and good memories of family time together.

Every Wednesday, a group of between 2-8 meet for a light lunch of soup & sandwiches locally and it's great to catch up.

In previous weeks someone would collect me and now this is the second week I've been able to drive myself and even collected one of my friends on the way.(I drive a stick shift or manual drive Hyundai).

Going out tonight to play bridge 7:30 - 10:30 p.m. and started an advanced play Bridge course on Thursday for the next ten weeks. Great to be getting back to Bridge, find it a very challenging game and you never stop learning,

The therapy pool is located in a Primary/Grade school for children with physical disabilities and the school opens the pool to adults with rehab needs two afternoons each week on Monday & Tuesday 2:30-3:30.

There is a life guard, but you do your own exercise routine, my PT gave me some pool exercises. The cost is €3.60 or about $5.00 USA. And the school is a ten minute walk from my front door, do no reason not to go.

This was my third Tuesday and find that I can increase my ROM in the water and the water temperature is lovely, warm and very relaxing.

Am beginning to accept that my ROM is going to be a slow journey and that's just the way it will be for me.
See my OS on 4 October, will be interested to see what he thinks of my progress.

Take care and do enjoy catching up with you and hope that you are comfortable and enjoying your Bunco nights.

Cathie
 
Hi Cathie (@marmora ) Thanks for the link, I've just found your thread. I'm glad to hear that you are managing to get on with your life apart from knee-related problems! I've never even tried bridge; my parents both played and it caused so many arguments I swore I would never play and so it is! Ditto with golf and I live in a golfing community, but I've resisted!

Your therapy pool sounds great. It sounds to me as though you are doing pretty well, all things considered. It's only a couple of months since the actual op, am I right? Seeing your OS on 4th will be good and hopefully reassure you that all is going according to plan. Please tag me to let me know.

My second cataract surgery is scheduled for 4th October (seems to be the day!) and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it as I'm having trouble managing the two eyes, with one with a lens in situ and the other with the lens in the specs! I am finding that my eye is watering a lot and I'll ask them about that when I go for the second.

Must go, I'm in the middle of preparing a very late supper, but I'm pleased to find your thread. :cheers: (I hope you like beer?!!) I couldn't find a wine glass to raise to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @marmora, you are always so thoughtful and kind to me, I wanted to find your thread and yeah I did. I just want to wish you well and hope you have a good day and weekend. I know you are busy and still healing so take good care of yourself. That pool therapy sounds so good, I can feel the water. I am looking in my area for one where the water temp is warm for folks like me with issues. The middle school in my town has a water exercise class in the evening. I took the class moons ago for the RA issue and the water was so cold. It is a lap pool and I was told the water temp has to be a certain temp which felt freezing to me and to many others in the class who ended up dropping out. You can get more flex in warm water. I actually have a whirlpool bath at home so I use that every night thought it does not take the place of a pool no way. Will keep looking. Have a blessed and pain-free day. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Good Morning @chestnc
Very good to hear from you and yes the warm water is absolutely what Is needed for therapy.

Many of those there for the therapy hour aren't post TKR.
Some are post -Stroke, MS, Motor Neurone Disease/ALS, post spinal surgery.

They pool has a hoist to lift people who need it to place them into the water and lift them out at the end of the session. Many are accompanied by their own 1-2 care workers or one woman has two PTs in the pool with her.

No lap swimming is allowed and the warm water is so soothing and my PT has given me some suggested exercises to do in the pool.

Wishing you luck on finding a warm therapy pool, as it would be so comforting for your RA.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora Cathie hi! Stopping by to see how you are doing. How are you today? Wish hubby's OS had switch him over to pool therapy but he didn't. He finished his last outpatient PT today. He could have had more, but didn't feel like it was doing anything but making him sore. He would rather do his exercises sporadically though out the day. He drove a little Tuesday but it hurt his knee, tried again today and his knee did a lot better.
 
Hi Jackie & Steve @tiredwife

My OS just said that if I wanted to use a pool to wait until week 7-8 post-op.

So, if I want to it's my decision, my out patient hospital PT was for 5 sessions and that finished last week and I'm going to
1-1 PT once a week. I have to pay for all the PT session(hospital and 1-1) and at the end of my insurance year in January 2015, will get back 50% for a maximum of 7 sessions in any insurance year.

The therapy pool is in primary/grade school for children with physical disabilities and the school opens the pool for adults on Monday & Tuesday 2:30-3:30 p.m.

There is a life guard, but each person does their own exercise or just relaxes in the water. I've been the only TKR in the past 2 weeks, some are post Stroke, MS, ALS/ Motor Neuron disease and have their carers in the pool with them. My own PT has given me some gentle exercises to do in the pool.

Still taking my 30 minute walks and at home exercises and today went to the local YMCA gym to use the stationary bike and cross trainer and a few arm weights for upper body.

See my OS this coming Thursday and will be interested in whis the thinks of my progress.

Hope that you both have a great weekend,
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@marmora Cathie the only therapy pool here is the one in the hospital and you have to have doctor's orders for it. Let us know how your checkup goes. I think the pool will do wonders for you. Have a great uhhhh Morning?
 
@tiredwife Do you have a motel/hotel near by with a pool? If so check with them, they may allow you to use their pools. I live near a small city that has a hotel that allows people to use their pool for exercise for $3.00 a day. For me the pool was a big help for both my knees!

@marmora Sounds like you you had a great time with your sons! I haven't been able to check your progress, just too many things to do being back to work! You seem to be working hard with your p.t. :) Keep working, you are making progress, it may seem slow but you WILL get there!! For me I have finished p.t. and have 1 final check with my doctor in a week. Comparing my 2 tkr, this one was more difficult. For me sleeping was the issue, I wouldn't have any pain during the day, but as soon as I tried to sleep.....the cramps and pain would start. In the past week that has lessened and my sleeping has been better.:yes:

Keep up the great work Cathy!
 
@bball78 None in our town have a pool. One has one in the next town over, but what few times we have been in that hotel there are always kids playing in it. Also it doesn't look the cleanest.
 
Hello @bball78

Good to hear from you,

And I do remember the busy start of the school year, going out tonight for an early bird with one of my still working teacher friends.

It was to be for lunch, but she needed a lazy Saturday to recharge her batteries after the end of the week so changed to early evening.

Like you sleep and finding a comfortable is still a big issue for me.

Enjoy putting your feet up over the weekend,
Cathie
 
@marmora Hi Cathie! Just checking in to see how you are doing. It sounds as though you are doing fantastic. Water therapy sounds like it would be wonderful. I'm not too happy with my PT right now and am considering going to a different facility. This facility is very aggressive and while I'm always up for a challenge I think this might not be a good fit. I should be able to walk the day after PT. Today I didn't have PT and already my walking has improved from yesterday.
During the winter months a group of us at the club get together once a week to play bridge. I really like the game, but don't play it enough to remember everything. The bidding is what frustrates me at times. I've played pinochle for years and get that mixed up with the bridge at times. I hope you have a good weekend. Anne
 
Hi @marmora I am sure that your surgeon will be very pleased with how much you can do when you see him for your appointment on Thursday. You are doing so wonderfully. Going to the pool must feel good for you a chance to get in the water. Does the pool you go to have an easy way for getting in and out. I wanted try out the pool where we live this summer again but was not sure how easily I would manage the ladder. Wishing you a great weekend Holly
 
Good Morning Anne @Yorkimom
Good Morning Holly @lavender

Europe is ahead in The Ryder Cup at the moment and fingers crossed that will be the outcome at the end of play today. Sorry to my friends in The USA, :bawl:

Anne, I have been playing bridge for about 5 years and enjoy the game and find that there is so more to learn and it challenges the mind. I'm a social member in a local Golf Club, not much golf this year due to the knee, but, play bridge and am in a book club there and attend many of the social functions.

A group from the club that include 'my gang of 10 good friends" are in Spain from last Thursday for a golf holiday week. The normal trip is Thursday to Sunday , but my gang will stay on and make it a full week.
There was a waiting list to go and fortunately, I was able to let a friend who hadn't a place take my place.

There is always next year, my OS at my last appointment said that it would probably be Christmas before I'd be able to take up golf again. I only started playing in September 2013- never held a golf club before that.

But, husband and sons play and most, if not all of my friends play.
So, when I took early retirement in September 2013 decided to take it up and I love it. Not very good, still a lot of air shots, but played all through the winter in the Irish wind & rain once or twice a week, so know that golf is for me.

You're about two weeks post-op at this stage, how are you doing ?
I understand about aggressive physiotherapy. After some sessions with my PT, the next day I can really feel it. And if you feel that it is too aggressive, looking at another facility should be considered.

I have been attending my PT for about 10-12 years for various knee and other joint problems and have built up a great relationship and friendship and trust her and know that she only encourages me to go that bit farther at each session, if I can.
She has also gone on the golf holiday - not as a PT, but as a golfer.

After your RTKR in 2012 how long did you take before you went back to playing golf or going to the driving range?

Hi Holly @lavender
The pool is in a primary/ grade school for disabled children, so getting into the pool is a very gradual slope with hand rails to ease you way in. And for those in wheelchairs or those who can't walk there is a chair lift to place them into the water. The temperature is very warm and there is a deep end that is about 6 feet deep. There are bars along the edge of the pool to hold on to when doing your exercise routine and they provide floatation tubes and rings of extra support. :swim:

The pool is less than a ten minute walk from my front door and cost is less than 5 Canadian or US dollars for the session.

Anne and Holly, have a great Sunday and a good and comfortable start to your week ahead,
Cathie
 
Good Morning @Minnie's knees

It must be a very good feeling knowing that your TKR surgery is getting closer, never enough time to get ready, but that beats not knowing the date for surgery and the endless waiting.

Would recommend seeing of there is a pool in your area.
My OS said at my 6 week check-up, as the incision was dry and held that it o.k. to go to any pool and not just the therapy pool. But, not to swim lengths - just to do exercises and gentle paddling in the water with my legs.

Take care and have a good Sunday,
Cathie
 
@marmora
Good morning Cathie I woke up early this morning and felt hungry so came downstairs and had a few biscuits and peanut butter and thought I would check my mail before going back to bed. And happy to have found your post . It is good you have so many interests makes life fun and a nice way to meet people and spend time doing something you enjoy. A few of my brothers like to play golf and sometimes all get together just for a bit of time together plan a day and go for a few hours. My uncle used to play lots of golf and belonged to a club.

I am sure that you are very missed by your friends on their golfing trip and it will be nice for you to have a chance to go the next time around. I have never played bridge but sounds like you are enjoying it nice to have a hobby. Your book club sounds like fun to always loved reading as well.

Most of my hobbies are craft type hobbies. I love to read and do cross stitch, knit, and managed to quilt a few of the quilt tops my Gram and great aunt Maggie left for us, and lots of walks. Movies are also a favorite past time for us. My brothers golf and my two youngest brothers played sports when they were small my youngest was on a soccer team and the second youngest brother played and still plays baseball now on a adult team. Two of my brothers are very gifted with musical instruments and both play the guitar beautifully. They both own several guitars and the youngest mandolins and other stringed instruments tried the guitar and banjo but just did not catch on as being left handed could not understand how to place my fingers but bought a banjo and tried just the same.

Your pool sounds nice and being wheelchair accessible is a wonderful feature I am sure it is something that you really enjoy
would to as have always enjoyed swimming to.

It is good that you have such a wonderful relationship with the person that does your pt makes a difference and if she is gentle so much easier to be part of helping you out.

Today not sure what the weather will be it is supposed to stay warm for a bit longer temperatures the past week have been in the 25 celsius range during the day and cooler at night but very comfortable. Think I hear my husband getting up hoping to go back to bed but happy to have a chance to read your post and wishing you a wonderful day. Holly

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom