Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora Golf is difficult enough without having to add concerns about the knee to the list of swing thoughts that go through one's mind before and during the swing. I am trying to keep those thoughts down to a manageable 250 or so. I am not one to give "lessons" or advice and certainly not to someone whose swing I have not seen, but I just want to remind you that golf is a game of opposites - aim left to make it go right, aim right to make it go left, hit "down" on the ball to make it go "up" in the air, swing easy to make it go far.

Also, when I was just taking up the game I enjoyed it every time I played. As I got better my expectations increased and the enjoyment was only when I came close to those expectations. Then, I got through that phase and it now "is what it is". :)

[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR on 17 July
 
@Phil75070

Thanks for your thoughts, as I have learned golf is a mental game.
I am so looking forward to getting back to the game.

Cathie :thankyou:
 
@Nana moon 27 @tiredwife @Reebok @g82cu2 @Phil75070 @madinana @Ellejay @lavender @hopefaith @Lovestoread @Roselover @Celle @bottomshollow @busylizzie @Old Texan @Jozilla and any one else I may have forgotten.

Good day after a good night's sleep, especially after the insomnia from drinking coffee on Friday night!
Went to sleep about 11:00 pm and then Awake at 3:30 for pain meds and then back to sleep until 9:15 am.
Longest sleep ever.

Only got one walk today, due to the heavy Irish rain.
Very concerned about @Gingiebot and what she is going through and I know that we are all there for her.

Knee feeling better and going up & down stairs adult style getting easier. See the OS on Tuesday morning.

Those of you starting your holiday - enjoy! Those of you going back to school, I remember those days, best wishes for the new academic year.

Will sign off now and wish every one a good night.

Now on couch, icy knee & leg elevated and settling down to watch " something's got to give" with Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Jozilla
Happy Holiday JoAnne,

Cape May sounds just what you need to refresh and recharge the batteries before your surgery. Just looked it up on Google and would have never considered New Jersey a vacation destination, goes to show you learn something new everyday !

Great to be able to spend time with your daughter and grandchildren making memories !

So, enjoy and relax and enjoy being with your family,
Cathie :swim::realing::walking:
 
@tiredwife
Hi Jackie,

Thank you for asking.

Still using two canes for outside walking & one crutch for indoor. Did one set of my at home PT programme this morning, rested & iced and then 25 minute( getting faster) to The a Village for my 1-1 PT session at 1:45.
When session was finished, the heavens opened & heavy rain.
Luckily, a friend knew I was going to PT at that time and was waiting for me -it was a lovely surprise to see her parked out front, as couldn't manga walk with 2 canes and an umbrella !

So, no further walks this afternoon or after dinner tonight.

Seeing my OS tomorrow at 9:00 am with an x-ray at 8:30 am beforehand.

Sleeping better and for longer periods between waking up and haven't needed OxyNorm for any breakthrough pain in almost a week.

Still icy, elevating 'toes above nose' and feel this is very important. Knee still stiff and Flexion this afternoon at almost 100.

Hope that Steve is progressing with the second TKR - can't imagine having a second one so close orvthosecthat have bilateral TKRs are remarkable !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Good job on the Flexion today! Doesn't it feel good to know you are making progress?! My goodness, I am envious of the rain! That is a great friend that knew you would need a lift and was waiting for you after PT. :friends: Looking forward to hearing how your OS appointment goes tomorrow!

My knee still gets really stiff, too, and I have to limber it up periodically. I really miss having access to the NuStep machine and the stationary bicycle at rehab - they were both great for that!
 
@marmora Sorry you got rain, but glad you got a ride from a friend! Sounds like you are doing good. Hubby's ROM with this one is great first one was slow coming! He had more pain with this one, but that is getting under control. He is walking with a cane now. His main pain is in the thigh above the knee, and of course the stiffness. His first knee is doing great now, and is holding up good to being the strong knee. I couldn't imagine doing 2 at once! They are brave souls!
 
@DianeJ

My PT rang and then dropped over a letter for the OS tomorrow. Even though I reached 100 with a big push, I am really only at 95, at 6 weeks post-op.

She feels the OS may mention MUA and just wanted me to be prepared for that possible conversation.

Knee is very stiff and has had a noticeable bend since February 2011, when I fell and knee bent backwards under me- hyper flexion. So, that could be a reason why it is still so stiff. 6 weeks post-op.

Will see what OS says on Tuesday,

Your RTKR was a few days after mine, are you experiencing great stiffness in the knee joint or mild to moderate stiffness ? What has been your Flexion at this stage ?

Take care,
Cathie
 
My PT rang and then dropped over a letter for the OS tomorrow. Even though I reached 100 with a big push, I am really only at 95, at 6 weeks post-op.
She feels the OS may mention MUA and just wanted me to be prepared for that possible conversation.

95 at 6 weeks is OK. Pretty good, actually! :thumb:
I don't think you need to worry about a MUA - it's rare for surgeons to do them once you reach 90 degrees.

Your PT is worrying you unnecessarily. Tell her to stop pushing you. Remember this?
It's worth the wait for ROM
and these:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" JBJS

It's perfectly normal for your knee to still feel stiff. Maybe you're expecting too much of it this early?
 
@Celle
Thank you for your post and I have read the articles that you have highlighted. I will continue to read other BoneSmart posts and articles.

Think that I may have been overdoing my at home PT exercise routines at the weekend. & this may have contributed to the increase in the knee stiffness at the PT session this afternoon. I had also done about 45 minutes of my at home PT exercises this morning after waking up at 7:45 am.

Will see what OS has to say on Tuesday.

Thank you,
Cathie
 
Hello all,

For the first time since my LTKR surgery on 17 July, am feeling a little down.

Felt that I was progressing, slowly but getting there.
But, after my PT phoned me at home after dinner to say not to be surprised if the OS may have a talk about a MUA as a possible solution to my extremely stiff knee and Flexion of 95 degrees up from 85 degrees at our first session 13 August. And -15 degrees extension an improvement from -27 degrees. Told me that perhaps I am being over zealous in my at home PT and to do nothing only ice, rest and elevate for the rest of the evening.

She has written up a letter for me to bring to the OS appointment tomorrow and dropped it in this evening on her way home from work. She has been my PT for about 12 years for various injuries. she left the letter unsealed so that I could read it and make a photo copy, before handing it to the OS tomorrow.

I will see her again next Monday and have my postTKR group session at the hospital where I had the surgery on Wednesday.

Would be interested to know if any BoneSmart member has had a MUA and found it beneficial.

Perhaps, I shouldn't be thinking this way until I see the OS in the morning.

But, better to be forewarned than to be hit blind sided.

Thanks for listening and thank you to BoneSmart for being there at times like this, when we just need to have a safe place to discuss what is going on.

****always wondered about the start or history of the BoneSmart Web Site and found that information in the Library or Help Section above and thank you to those who made and continue to make the BoneSmart forum possible.


Cathie
Below my 8.5 inch incision scar at 5 weeks & 4 days
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left TKR on 17 July
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 148
@marmora It's a hard thing to do to compare 2 different knees. It sounds like you had a greater degree of knee problems & injury over a longer period of time than I did - the hyperflexion you had a few years ago sounds horrendous! Big ouch! And remember we don't all recover at the same pace - it seems to be a very individual thing!

I would say my knee has mild to moderate stiffness in the morning and after sitting awhile. Anytime I feel it stiffening, I do a few gentle exercises to ease it. I go through my whole series of exercises morning and evening starting with the ones that work out that stiffness and get the knee warmed up & ready for the remaining exercises. I work a lot on the ROM and on extension to get that knee to flatten out. Not always fun, but necessary so they tell me. I can get to 115 on flexion on my own, and that is after working up to it for about 20 reps. They want me at 120 on my own, but have been stuck at 115 for awhile. I still keep working at it though! Next week I will start out-patient PT and not get the home therapy anymore.

Yes, please don't get too concerned about MUA until you talk to the OS and see what he has to say. He may have some recommendations for you, too. Hang in there! You will get there!:loveshwr:
 
@DianeJ

Thank you for your kind thoughts, that is the magic of BoneSmart - people who had been there, had the TKR and proudly wear the TeeShirt.

No one understands, unless they have also been there in the trenches with you.

Appreciate your kindness and will let you know what the OS says tomorrow.

Cathie xxx
 
@marmora Our messages crossed - I am so sorry you are feeling a little down! Big hugs to you! Please don't get too upset until you talk to OS as you may be worrying about nothing. Your scar looks great! It is a longer scar than mine, but that may be due to the damage that had to be repaired. We will all be thinking of you tomorrow and hope you get a lot of encouragement from your visit with the OS! Will be anxious to hear!
 
I can't imagine a procedure like MUA with flexion at 95 degrees at seven weeks. You are making steady progress and that's what it's all about. And the stiffness you feel doesn't necessarily determine how much ROM you get. You wouldn't believe how much stiffness I have. If I sit for just a few minutes I have to stop bend my knee back and forth about 10 times before I can even take a step! But in PT they start me with knee extensions and leg lifts with weights and resistance bands. Then I do heal slides with a strap to pull my foot closer, and my knee gets much more flexible. I got 140 ROM today! One thing we determined though is I have to do it lying back. If I'm sitting up my fat thigh and fat belly touch :blush: and I can't bring my foot in closer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom