Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@skigirl - understand love of cars, similar here in Ireland.

But, as I live in Dublin, as in NYC many people walk to/from work or also use the City Bike schemes.
Bikes are located around the city in City Bike Stand/ usually about 20 available bikes.and you ore-pay a deposit to register and then get an access code unlock the bike and any journey under 30 minutes is free and you return the bike to another City a Bike stand.

My son uses this scheme in and out to work each day. And my husband has his own bike and cycles 45 minutes to and 45 minutes from work each day.

I have to now take 3 thirty minute walks each day as part of my PT and Sandymount Village is with good legs about 10 walk and now using 2canes the walk is taking me about 25/30 minutes.

We have good public transportation and rarely drive into town, always take the commenter train about a five minute train journey.

During my non-driving days, as I am also still on narcotics for pain,luckily have neighbours & friends that have offered and I have taken them up on their offers to bring me to PT and other appointments.
For other shopping, Des and I go grocery shopping in the evening as the large grocery store is open until 10 pm

So, not too worried about a ten week driving ban, but am looking forward to reaching that milestone. My little Hyundai is missing me.

Take care,
Cathie :hog:
 
Good Morning @marmora I hope you enjoy your walk, and just take your time, which I am sure you know. Enjoy the fresh air and the scenery I found that interesting about the bikes So interesting how other places in the world do things and their culture. We should here would be a lot less pollution Have a great day I have to run some errands before ms elephant shows herself
 
Gosh Cathie, so many cultural differences! What would I do without my truck,especially for ten weeks. Laughing now, I was just thinking how long hubby would work if he had to cycle for 45 minutes to get there. No wonder you look so young!

Hope you have a fabulous day. Please take care of yourself, and take advantage of being spoiled and pampered.

Mary
 
Hello,
I have a question that I haven't seen or maybe I have missed on other posts.

In August 2013, I started playing golf for the first time and I mean first time- never held a golf club. Took some group and private lessons, had a set of secondhand clubs and as a retirement present was given a golf bag and electric golf cart.

Now, in Ireland it rains a lot especially in the winter and joined a golf society that plays every Thursday and sometimes another day in the week, most days wearing rain gear. So, this showed me that I truly really like golf.
And it is something that I really want to get back to.

Last time I played golf was on Thursday 5 June and on Saturday June 7 torn my meniscus, trip to ER/A&E and long story short, middle son getting married on Saturday 14 June and attended with knee brace & crutches.Scheduled then for LTKR on 17 July.

So, my question to any golf ears post TKR - when did you begin to feel that you were ready to play golf?
Would really appreciate any advice.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Friday night, home from meal out with husband at local restaurant -walked there& back with my two canes. It's
About a20 minute walk each way. And now :chillpill: On the couch, husband reading the paper & Im catching up on BS posts, emails with leg & knee elevated, icy Cryo cuff on and will be heading up to bed soon.

Had very good 1-1 PT out patient session this morning and concentration was on extension, have a long standing problem with bent knee and would like to improve on this.

Given some additional home exercises and will have another session on Monday and see my OS on Tuesday.

No plans for the weekend, May potter in our small garden and dead- head some of the flowers in in pots and window boxes and think about what I want to plant for Autumn colour.

Finding I need less pain medication, so instead of taking 2 Tylex up to 4 times/day, have reduced this to 1 Tykex & 1Paracetamol. Seems to have worked for me today.

Relaxing end to my day and heading up to bed now, good night all.

Cathie :chillpill:
 
How interesting, once again SMALL world. We started off in Melbourne,had time for husband to study at LSE in London , ended here is Sydney in baulkham hills I drive round carlingford often. My lovely GP is in the area off North Rocks Rd if you remember it. Were you at the schools just over pennant hills rd? It is a lovely area. :cheers: So we were neighbours sort of.

We have just come back from Norway. Lovely place but a bit far from you. Hard having family scattered around.
We have one daughter and son in law in Canberra, one currently in UK. The rest are around Sydney. I feel the absences more than I thought I would.

There was a lot they did not tell you in the baby books, when they were going on about feeding, milestones, etc - that is the easy stuff, the emotional things are the great highs and lows aren't they ?

I was a teacher too, then went into corporate training and editing. But of all the work I ever did parenting remains the most interesting and rewarding thing I have ever done( at times most frustrating) and I am finding it doesn't end, it just keeps changing and evolving.

For some reason I have not been getting tags from anyone but it looks like I am not the only one.:cry:

No news on surgery the pesky knees have improved, we all know it is when not if but maybe it is the warm climate back here. They played up something horrid in Norway but have settled down again back home. But it was cold and damp there even though it was summer - we went way up North so often were amongst ice and snow. Walking over quaint cobblestone streets did not help . But back here it is a different story . Curiouser and curiouser. :what:

But you are SO right, the support and encouragement here is wonderful . I think people are v generous the way they tell it how it is, I think that takes a fair amount of courage. :console2:

Hope all is well luvlorl. :flwrysmile:
.
 
@marmora I believe @Phil75070 golfs, maybe he can answer your previous golfing questions.
Don't remind me about all my roses needing attention! It turned really hot and muggy out so I don't want to do it, plus it seems like every day I have had to drive somewhere for something! Found out our lawnmower needs a new battery, so that's another trip! Oh well, such is life. Pleasant dreams!
 
So, my question to any golf ears post TKR - when did you begin to feel that you were ready to play golf?

@marmore First of all, you have to realize that I am a golf fanatic, playing 5 days / week year 'round, weather permitting. So for me to take an appreciable amount of time off due to recovering from a TKR was not something I was looking forward to. I am right handed and my right knee was replaced so I push off that leg during the swing, so there is really little torque or twisting of it.

By about week 6 I was practicing swinging without a club, slowly, to see how the knee felt doing that. In week 8 I started hitting balls at the range early that week and played a full round of golf that Friday and again on the following Monday. I saw my OS the the Thursday after my 9 week ankneeversary and he gave me the go ahead to officially start playing again. His reluctance up to that point had nothing to do with the swing and what it might do to the knee, but rather the possibility of me slipping on wet areas, or while going up and down slopes or getting in or out of sand traps - i.e. the concern was my falling on the knee.

After his 'OK' I have resumed my 5 day / week schedule. For several weeks while going down steeper slopes I would fee a "twinge" of pain similar to what one feels when first starting to descend stairs normally. As time has gone by I no longer feel that or any discomfort and I am at the 5 1/2 month mark. I do still watch very closely where I walk so as not to trip on anything or step in a hole that might lead to my falling. I also might add that my golf itself has gotten back to my normal levels.

I hope this answers your question. Again, I don't think playing golf can cause damage to the knee, you just need to be very careful while on the course not to fall.
 
@lorl - glad to read your post.
We visit Norway several times a year, my middle son married a Norwegian girl on 17 June 2014 , although they had the wedding & reception in Dublin and 58 guests were returning Vikings to Dublin ( the first Vikings arrived - uninvited to Dublin about 1000 years ago).

My son and his wife live in a Bergen on the a West coast. They met several years ago when they were both working in Sydney.

In my previous job, I visited a Norway several times on educational visits. My husband and I have traveled extensively in a Norway x- both in winter & summer.

I was original a nurse and then re-qualified as a secondary teacher & taught in Sydney .

Came to Ireland in 1977 worked as a nurse again and then
did further education courses to teach in Ireland & taught post Leaving Certificate students,( age over 18 ) then trained as a educational guidance counsellor and final job was an an Adult Education Officer responsible for an area of Dublin to support adult learners returning to education who had left school early. We had about 4000 students and 62 tutors in the area I managed in 22 outreach centres.
Due to a series of medical problems and hospitalisations, took early retirement on 31 August 2013.
That's my story in a nutshell !

Pesky knees cause such problems and hope that yours have settled now that you are back home.
Take care,
Cathie
 
@Phil75070
Thank you for giving me hope that airport will be back on the golf course soon !

I was so happy to read that you were practice swinging at 6 weeks and played a full round week 8/9 !

I had been playing 1-2 times a week since with two golf societies, since I retired in August 2013 and love the game. Although my society handicapped is still 36.

My plan for the summer of 2014 was to play 2-3 times per week, sign up for a few golf clinics and had planned a trip with one of the societies I play with for a week in Spain in September - the trip for me cancelled.

But, tore my meniscus on 7 June and last game of golf was 5 June.
I had two previous arthroscopies on the knee and had problems from various injuries over the years on that knee.
So, the TKR was always on the cards.

Seeing my OS this Tuesday, he is also a golfer and will ask when he expects I could go slowly back to playing.

Still using a cane indoors and 2 canes when walking outdoors and my PT who is also a golfer and I have played with, thinks it could be late October or early November.

Will use your gradually approach back into the game as a guide and thank you for giving me hope .

Cathie
 
@marmora Cathie, I can't get over all the walking you do at this stage. It seems I can't walk far at all before my leg just aches, top to bottom and I can feel the pressure of swelling returning. Have you had that at all? It's great you have felt able to cut back on pain meds. I have also. Mostly because I don't feel like they do much for me at this stage. I think that's a good thing? It must mean things are healing. I had PT today and was able to flex to 107, so that's good. No plans for the weekend here either. I need to do like you and get out and dead head my patio flowers. Luckily we've had lots of rain so I haven't had to bother with watering them except for once in almost 4 weeks I've been laid up here. Sweet dreams my Irish friend! :sleep:
 
It is 1:40 am Dublin time.

My husband & I walked to a local restaurant for an evening meal at about 7 pm and home about 9 pm ( takes me 25-30 minute to walk to there and it is usually only a ten minute walk).

At the end of the meal we ordered , 1 caffeine coffee for a Des and specifically ordered a decaf coffee for me .

For those of you who have read one of my previous posts I stopped all caffeine products, coffee, tea, diet coke on 15 July pre-surgery and except for some caffeine in some of the pain meds have been caffeine free since then.

At the moment, I am wide awake and can hear my husband blissfully snoring in the adjoining bedroom.

I think our coffee orders got mixed up .
The lesson learned is not to take the chance again and only order a Herbal tea when eating out!

No sleep for me any time soon ,
Cathie :dubious:
 
:mcoffee: Cathie, maybe try some of your own herbal tea? Have any chamomile or anything that will help to relax you? Maybe take a :chillpill: Or a warm bath :bath: Or I supposed you could stay here with us and do this :type:
 
Hi Janet. @Jozilla

The PT norm for TKR and THR here in Ireland from post- op day 2/3 is to start with a 5 minute walk three times each and build it up so that at 6 weeks post-op you are doing 3 thirty minute walks a day.

Glad that is is summer and mainly dry, so haven't missed any of my walks yet, it is not the distance that counts you can go slow and at your own pace, it is the time factor.

I meet several post TKRs & THRs on my walks and we all encourage each other.

Cathie :walking:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom