TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora on the good thoughts you got a good night sleep I am not sure what a MUA is but wait and see if the OS has to say. You are doing better than me I can walk up the stairs but walking down is hard my mind says for it to go to next step but I have to struggle to do it, and some time give up But have a lot of people pulling for you and we have to go one day at a time, it is not an easy thing we all learned that, Everyone has different recovery and our two knees are not alike but will say an extra :prayer:just for you and :fingersx: crossed that things will work out for the best for you!!!
 
Hi @marmora I'm sure there is info on the Manipulation Under Anesthesia (MUA) in the library. If you can't find it tag a moderator and I'm sure they can link it for you.

I may well have to go down that track and I'm not too concerned. I read someones thread some time back and they were a bit stiff/sore afterwards and had to ice/elevate (no biggie, we already do that!) but breaking up the adhesions made it easier for them to get more ROM. I recall that it came very quickly after the procedure and they were glad they had it done. Don't concern yourself too much, it's nothing you have or haven't done, it's just the way your body is reacting to the surgery. {{hugs}}
 
@dovemck
Thank you for your calm and re-assuring advice.

I have read some positive results from MUA on other sites, and look forward to hearing from some of our BoneSmarties on their MUA experiences good or bad.

Thank you for your post, very much appreciated,
Cathie
 
@marmora

You are making good progress. Don't forget that it takes a full year to recover fully from a TKR. So you're expecting too much of yourself and your knee at 6+ weeks.

I'm sorry you are feeling down. :console2: It hits most of us at some time in our recovery, but it will pass.

Your PT sounds like a good person who is obviously concerned for you, but I'm wondering how much experience she has in re-habbing people who have had knee replacements? She sounds more experienced with recovery from injuries, which is not the same.

She is right, though, that you are probably overdoing the home exercises. You can't make your knee recover faster by working hard at it - quite the reverse, in fact. If you do too much, too soon, it can irritate and inflame all those healing tissues, which will slow down your recovery.

I hope your visit to you Surgeon can reassure you.

Do let us know how you get on.
 
@Celle

Thank you for your experienced and re-assuring advice.

I'm going to try to get to sleep, as it's 12:40 am in Dublin, have taken pain meds & have leg elevated and icy Cryo cuff on, and as Scarlett O'Hara said in GWTW, "Tomorrow is another day".

Thank you & will let you know what OS says tomorrow.

Kindest regards,
Cathie
 
Hello all,

Relief after visiting x-Ray and then OS.

He does agree with my PT, that the knee joint is stiff and Flexion at 6 weeks post-op of 95 degrees could be a cause for concern.

But, he also feels that I am making slow and steady progress.
And that my quad muscles are poor on the operated leg and need more rehab.

But, at 90 degrees I have a soft end point which shows that I will get more Flexion if I continue with rehab over time.

And also ice and elevate throughout the day.

He does want to even think of a MUA at this stage. He will see me again in 4 weeks and would hope that there would be some increase in Flexion and extension.

No driving for another 10- 14 days, but can use 1 cane when outside of the house and no cane when inside.
Also can start using start going to the local therapy swimming pool, as incision is closed and healed.

A welcomes relief after my appointment.

Thank you for everyone for your kind words, warm thought, and concern.

Cathie xxx
 
Good appointment. It does sound like you will be a turtle--slow and steady wins the race. :hiking:
 
@marmora

I'm glad your OS was able to reassure you.

Your ROM will continue to improve slowly. Slow is OK. Don't try to rush it.
Concentrate on rest, ice and elevation - there will still be some swelling inside your knee, even if it doesn't look swollen on the outside. Once all the swelling is gone, you will find that the bend was there all along.

Above all, don't get misled into thinking that working harder at your exercises will speed up that ROM increase. It won't.

Don't get hooked on the numbers. Concentrate on thinking about how your ability to do little, everyday things is improving.

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@marmora Great report, Cathie!! I'm sure that was such a relief for you about your progress. :swim:
Here is you swimming in that pool very soon! That sounds so refreshing, and you will be surprised at how that helps strengthen that quad, too. :yes: Quad exercises are great and I actually enjoy doing them. They sure help with extension, too, and flattening that knee out. Slow, but sure, girl!

Just remember, we are always here for you!
Diane
 
How good is that??

I too am having quad problems, would love to compare physio notes with you.You're a couple weeks ahead of me.

So far I'm still not able to lift from flat on the bed, however with a large roll under the knee I can manage lifting my heel up a couple of centimetres. With the effort I put into it you'd think I was lifting a metric ton on my toes. I'm also doing heel lifts (standing up on toes), stepping up onto a step (bad up, good down), and pulley work to get the flexion. I've had some kind of breakthrough over the last couple of days and feel more 'free' so I think I'll be getting a whole new set of exercises today. Please do let me know what they have you doing so I can see what's coming up in my future :-)
 
stepping up onto a step (bad up, good down),

I think you got that the wrong way round.

It's "Step UP with the GOOD, DOWN with the BAD." That way, the good leg is bearing most of the stress. There's no way that your bad leg should be expected to bend while bearing all your body weight (as well as trying to keep your balance) while you try to step down. That would be as bad for it as trying to do one-legged squats on your bad leg.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Thank you again for your kind support. After my post this evening, went out to early dinner with 2former teaching friends-2 of us took early retirement and one is still working. We try to meet once a month, so that we don't lose touch now that we aren't working together & usually plan a weekend break away -Krakow or Berlin or Paris once a year.
Found that after sitting for the meal, by hour two of eating, laughing and chatting knee hot & swollen, and couldn't walk back home, so rang husband to collect us, dropped my two friends at the commenter train station and home & iced, elevated and feel promptly to sleep from about 9:30 -11:30.

Up in bed, taking pain meds and re-icy & elevating and looking forward to sleep.
Must be the relief after the OS appointment this morning.

Will catch up properly with you all tomorrow.

Cathie
 
Great report from your Dr visit! Hang in there; be consistent with your exercises but careful not to over do.

Amazing how quickly those knees can stiffen and swell after sitting for an extended time. I still find it difficult to sit for extended times in places like a movie or like the Shakespeare play we attended a couple weeks back.

Just before I retired I was on a project with my employer that worked with a vendor there in Dublin. Enjoyed visiting with the representatives and learning their Irish accent! We live in a northern state here but grew up in the south so I'm used to folks asking about me and my wife's "southern accent"....:heehee:

Take care as your recovery journey continues!
 
*doh* of course you're right @Celle
I've managed to meld two seperate activities into one. In the rails I step up with the good, down with the bad and then as a seperate exercise still in the rails and using the same step, bring my left (bad) foot onto the step and gently lean ito as a flexion stretch. Because I have the quads of a puny mosquito, lifting the foot and placing it on the step requires a lot of fine motor control. It's a double whammy exercise. I'm not depressed but amazed at the lack of fine control - as a child I did a lot of dancing and my foot/toe/leg placements were very precise. I look forward to the challenge of getting that kind of control back.

Sounds like a lovely sort of exhaustion @mamora, enjoy your well earned rest.
 
Because I have the quads of a puny mosquito, lifting the foot and placing it on the step requires a lot of fine motor control. It's a double whammy exercise. I'm not depressed but amazed at the lack of fine control

The control will come. It's very early days yet. Give yourself time!
 
Hi @marmora sounds like you might be doing too much much. I remember that whenever I would get throbbing and swelling it meant that I needed to take it easy. I'm still trying to learn the right way to navigate the site. I keep missing posts and I'm not getting alerts. I hope you are feeing better:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom