Guest viewing is limited

PKR Left Knee in

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JennyLynne yes me too, we do need to promise not to be competitive how are you doing?
I really really understand how ice becomes your best friend.
 
With my leg in an immobilizer, I can't feel the ice. Wish I could!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Really pleased to hear all is going well so far. Which hospital are you in? Probably having the same surgery as you later this year so will be reading your recovery thread with interest. Will also start to follow @JennyLynne too. Hope things continue to go really well.
 
@Raffs Hello I'm in Circle Hospital in Bath, cannot fault it , has been amazing. Do you know where you surgery will take place?

Today I have walking around the room on the walking frame every hour and a few exercises followed by ice. Goodness the knee bends are painful but I refused to be pushed by the physio - it's my knee!
Able to sit in the chair also which is a lovely change and enjoying looking out the window
Really hoping I get some sleep tonight.
Best wishes to everyone on recovery side.
JennyLynne how are you doing?
 
Sounds like you are doing great!! Way to go!!

I just got home! Had brief PT in the hospital- just walking and a few stairs. Had OT as well- showing me how to get in and out of the car, bathroom stuff, etc.

The nerve block is great but the immobilizer sucks. My quads won't engage at all, so I can't lift my leg on my own, and I can't feel any ice through the thick brace.

Hoping to settle in and rest- exhausted from the discharge process and coming home!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne wow home already sounds like you're doing great too, why the immobiliser?
I feel your pain regarding engaging quads, I can do this a little but I am way off being able to lift the whole leg. I use my right leg under my left to move it on and off chair or bed, works a treat.
I'm not out until Friday morning, tomorrow I move on to sticks and stairs.
Have a good day/night (what's the time difference?)
 
With the nerve block and pump, I need to keep the leg immobilized because the block essentially makes the quads inactive. So while the pump is in, I need to keep the immobilizer on for leg stability.

It's 6:12pm here, i believe I am 5 hrs behind you?

Just now starting to feel a lot of pain around the knee. I'm sure it's from the effort of coming home and climbing stairs, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi

I can see and feel my knee improving all the time, my ROM was at 85 last week, which was just about the same as the first one at this time. The staples are out, I have a long bandaid on it right now just because I wear trousers most of the time. I still have bruising and it is feeling hard because of the fluid. I elevate all the time and ice regularly, I do my exercises twice a day. All this seems to keep me ticking by, to be honest my battle is with the " blues" and the feeling of being worn out after the smallest effort of making a cup of tea lol... I think that's were BoneSmart comes in because as you read it's something most people go through!

I can tell you from the experience of having my first knee done Oct 21 2014 that it does get better, I just have to remind myself that .

I live in Saskatchewan which is about a three days drive from Toronto,
I live in a farming community & I work for a local health district as a staff schedular, I'm lucky I have good benefits which allow my to take three months off! I have two children Zack is 25 and is going to school in Vancouver & Emma 23 who is looking after me at the moment, she is an
Esthetician.

Hope your recovery goes well, just don't try to rush it☺️

Regards Jane

Sent from my iPad

Jane....
 
@JennyLynne ok I understand the immobilizer now. I have calf pumps on each night, making it impossible to sleep. Pain is now a whole new level, like yours centred around the knee.
@Littlelady58 sounds like you are doing really well, we have no way of measuring ROM here, that I know of.
Just asked for more pain relief so I might get some sleep.
Our children are similar ages; Greg 27 & Emogene 23
Best wishes
 
Hey @jacs65 , welcome to the other side! I am just a bit ahead of you as I had a TKR on my left knee on May 1. Like @Littlelady58 , I'm doing my exercises 2 to 3 times a day and walking 10-15 minutes at a time. But I'm also feeling sleepy and wondering where my energy has gone. Part of it is that I'm not sleeping soundly at all and part of it is the dreary dark weather we've been having. But all told, I'm doing well. My leg is straight and my rom is 105 which they tell me is good. But it still feels stiff to me. I am working on reducing my narcotic pain medication and will see the doctor next week for staple removal. Where in the U.K. are you from, @jacs65 ? We had an exchange student from S. Croydon, Surrey some years ago and attending his wedding in the U.K. around 10 years ago. We still stay in touch and are hoping my knee will be rehabilitated enough to go visit him and his family this fall.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well. Hang in there. It really does get better!

Roxie
 
@ Kansas Teacher Thanks for your message, it is so therapeutic to hear from others and the positive messages. Especially when lying in the hospital bed waiting for the meds to kick in.
My physio said to do a few exercises in bed every half hour, is that extreme? Certainly felt it
I'm from Reading in Berkshire, so a few miles from Croydon.
 
Is there a University in Reading? It seems to me that Rob may have gone to college in Reading but I'm not 100% sure.

What exercises are they having you do every half hour? I know they wanted me to do a lot of pumps where I pull my toes up and then point them down. It's supposed to keep the blood circulating and help prevent blood clots. I'm wondering what else they are having you do. If it's painful, it might be excessive.

Any idea when you'll be released?

Roxie
 
Hi Roxie. There is a university in Reading with campuses spread all over the town.
They ate asking me to do ankle pumps. Quad tenses and knee raises (not so many of those) and walk around the room on my walking frame every hour. Yes I do think knee raises are hurting, do don't do many of them.
Great that you have stayed in touch with your exchange student. Fingers crossed your knee will allow the extended visit.
I'm a teacher also, but think my students ate older: 16-19yr olds - I absolutely love the A level age, you can have some fabulous discussions with them and they always make me laugh.
Roxie, when did you find the bad pain disappeared? Or ate you still having episodes of this?
 
My pain is gradually diminishing bit by bit but isn't gone yet. My knee is still quite stiff and they say on Bonesmart that such stiffness is a form of pain. I am still taking percocet but don't have too many left and don't see the doctor again until next Tuesday so am hoping they will last. My surgeon (and surgery) was about 3 hours away from my hours so I can't just run to his office for a new script. Having said that, I would say my pain is rarely above a 4 anymore and is often a 1 or a 2. I have an ice machine that I use a lot along with elevation and those two things are getting the swelling down bit by bit.

I actually just retired from teaching and my husband and I have some traveling planned which meant that I really needed to get this knee taken care of.

It does sound to me that doing all of those exercises every hour is a bit much. I was given exercises to do but was told to limit some of them to 3 times a day and some of them only once a day.

Roxie
 
I also think every half hour for exercises so do them when I am up to it, when pain control allows. Then ice and elevate straight after.
Had a sit down shower this morning which was bliss, such simple pleasures of being clean and putting on fresh clothes.
Definitely home tomorrow, can't wait.

I am so looking forward to retirement, went in to teaching quite late so its 10yrs away. What great incentive for you and your knee. What countries are first on your list?
Hope knee is feeling good today
 
Glad to hear you are doing well. You really don't need to do the exercises that often. I did ankle pumps on the hour and walked about for 5 mins every hour or so and then the other stuff once a day maybe twice a day at the most. Glad to hear you are enjoying the ice - it works miracles, it really does. Take care and get lots of zzz s in when you can.
 
@SuperSnapper That makes sense, really good day today knee bend at 90 degrees and a good attempt at straightening. But well aware that there will be good days and bad days and not to run before I can walk.


Had a lovely half hour doze this afternoon but an involuntary leg movement on the operated one woke me up with a start :bored:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom