Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Thanks @Jamie

Left for comedy value... See edit below :doh::no-fin:

I'm not going to admit myself to the ODIC just yet. I think I merely wandered up and looked through the window :heehee:

I do think my lap around the garden was a little too long a walk. My new hip and soft tissue is still grumbling a bit (nothing serious) and lapping up ice and elevation. It's a lesson that 'can do' and 'feels good' are not reliable indicators when it comes to overdoing it. I'm sure I walked a lot more around the house too that day. I'm going to dig out my step counter so I can keep a check on myself.

Having said all that, I'm thrilled to have experienced that glimpse of my future! It was so WORTH IT!


EDIT! I'm such a hare-brain... Honestly, just checked my 'list app'. I use it to keep track of my medication... Seriously I will forget otherwise! I knew I'd forgotten this morning (always, I'll do it in a minute) but I'd also forgotten my bedtime meds, probably got distracted setting up pillows and rushing to get the lights off. Alerted by the fact the capsules were still in the pack when I finally reached for breakfast meds.... A lot of waffle to say. Keeping a written schedule or other tracker system is a really good idea. Especially in that first week when your head isn't in the game. Or if you're a 'me' kind of person!

No wonder my new hip is grumbling... Maybe that lap wasn't too bad after all :hissy:
 
Last edited:
It's a lesson that 'can do' and 'feels good' are not reliable indicators when it comes to overdoing it.
Yes! A phrase we often toss around here is - Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

We all learn through trial and error and and thankfully you had enough of a peek inside the window of the ODIC to decide it's not for you. Interesting about your pain. Forgetting to take meds is a really good sign that your body may be ready to start wearing off them. Not suggesting you do, until you're ready. You'll likely start going longer between doses without noticing. Also find that pain is manageable with just ice / elevation and maybe some paracetamol. Usually you're moving more comfortably and sleeping better also.

You're doing great and I love your detailed updates. It's the type of info I looked for pre-op when you often wonder exactly how recovery plays out. I know it's different for each of us as we frequently mention here, but it's nice to have a rough gauge sometimes. Happy Sunday...hope you're having a good one!
 
@Deni444 -i love your updates, so “colorful”. And yeah for experiencing your future. Yoh will get there, unfortunately it just takes time & patience. So much patience!! Try to keep your head up, I know it’s hard-but yoh have this. Hope you sleep well tonight. If you aren’t resting you aren’t healing! Hang in there, :curtsey:
 
Thanks @msart :flwrysmile:

Unfortunately, I'm only sleeping well when I'm beyond exhausted. So a bit of a challenging cycle but I'm getting through it mostly smiling and mostly positively. I hit the odd bump when it all feels a bit too much. Ironically, usually completely trivial things will set off a moment like that. Getting to the bathroom and forgetting my grabber. Patiently setting out clothes for the big 'get dressed challenge' and halfway through I've missed an item and it's in my bottom drawer.

I'm definitely getting there though and mostly grinning from ear to ear when I consider all the things I'll get back... In the fairly near future.

Hope you're having a good start to your week!
 
Hello and Happy Monday, Deni!
Unfortunately, I'm only sleeping well when I'm beyond exhausted.
I am sorry you're finding it difficult to get the restorative rest we all want post op.

Have you tried laying on your side with a lengthy pillow between your legs? That's where an inexpensive Body Pillow came in handy for me initially. Actually, still to this day, almost eight years post joint replacement.

Pillows really help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to fall asleep. You can experiment with different arrangements to find what works for you. I surrounded myself with them so I could rest a leg, or arm easily enough, whatever felt comfortable. Doing whatever you can to basically "set the scene" for sleep may be worthwhile. I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

Apply ice for a time before bed to reduce swelling and numb the discomfort. Try some relaxation techniques if you feel they may work for you such as deep breathing, prayer or meditation or even some gentle stretching may help relax your body and mind.

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Time will also help, but that takes patience, especially when you're restless and tossing and turning all night.
Wishing you many nights of peaceful sleep soon, Deni!
 
Thanks for all of that wonderful guidance @Layla

I'm under attack on multiple fronts where sleeping is concerned. No sooner do I resolve one issue another jumps in. Initially, it was the bladder and drama of the raised toilet. I think alongside frequent needs to go, I got a little nervous about waking and struggling to get there in time. Resolved that. Next up, in reaction to the morphine, I developed a phlegm issue. Every time I layed back and dropped off to sleep I would gag awake. Stopped the morphine, took antihistamines, problem solved. Next up my very unusual bed. Made from reclaimed oak railway sleepers. A very high four poster. Since my declining mobility, I've needed steps to get on it as I'm quite short. Rather than get rid of the bed we opted to buy me a lay flat recliner that I would use for a few day's until I could manage the steps. My right leg has been so bad that I still can't manage the steps. The recliner is great but it's not for long term use, I'm getting uncomfortable and can't sleep. Every day, I try the bed thinking this will be the day. I finally got on it yesterday but it was too precarious for my liking. My husband as I type is out buying wood to construct a shallow three step with banister. We should have sorted it earlier but I kept thinking I'd manage the other steps.

When I finally get into bed, I'll be trying all of those pillow ideas :flwrysmile:
 
@Deni444-the sleep “thing” is terrible, I wish there was an easy fix. I struggled with it for a long while, and occasionally do still, when I have over done it. I finally broke down @ took a Benedryl @ let me tell you the best sleep EVER! I did the pillow, tea, etc…but that pink pill did the trick for me. I imagine my body was just so exhausted. My dr told me, if u aren’t sleeping, you are not healing. So hopefully something will help you. Hang in there, you are still super early. Just breathe & take one dah at a time. You will get there. Happy thoughts only!!
 
Thanks @msart :wave:
I've been waiting to get off the other meds but your post is a good reminder. I experienced this with my bunion surgery a few year ago and a minimum dose of, off the shelf 'Sleep Eze' helped resolve it. I took them for a week or two and then was fine.

Now I'm only on standard paracetamol. I think it's a good idea if the drinks, teas and supplements don't help.
 
Sleep eludes me at least once a week. I wake up after 3-4 hours for bathroom run then I get back in bed & my mind starts racing. Nothing wrong with me, no pain or anything I think it's just some nights I can't get back to sleep.
So now I get up & come lay on couch in living room & I do manage to doze back off for an hour or so.
Good thing I'm retired!
 
Deni's Magic Jar of Joy

When it all feels a bit too much. When you think, why me? Or if you simply think the moment could be better. Flip a lid, sit back and enjoy! My latest recovery strategy

Instructions: (please read disclaimer at the end)

  1. You need an airtight container. My pick is a pint sized flip top canning jar. The prettier the better but any port in a storm will do.
  2. Add combinations of the following mood boosting, immune system enhancing, nutritionally valuable nuts:
    • Brazil Nuts
    • Walnuts
    • Almonds
    • Pistachios
    • Cashews
  3. Add combinations of the following super healthy, hormone balancing seeds:
    • Pumpkin Seeds
    • Sunflower Seeds
    • Flax Seeds
    • Sesame Seeds
  4. Add combinations of micronutrient rich and fibre rich dried fruit:
    • Figs
    • Prunes
    • Apricots
    • Raisins
    • Dates
    • Goji Berries
    • Cranberry (my favourite)
  5. Now for the magic, add a moderate amount of your favourite treat (adjustable based on nature of emotional emergency):
    • Fruit Skittles
    • Chocolate drops
    • Haribo
    • Yogurt covered anything
    • Jelly Beans
    • Smarties
    • Popcorn
    • Gummy Bears
    • Air Heads
    • Cinnamon Bun Bites
    • Cookie dough Bites
Warning & Disclaimer: I know nothing about nutrition and upon close inspection you're bound to guess my magic jar is an excuse to eat my favourite high calorie, zero value sweet treats. The idea is that to a casual passer by, the super healthy stuff makes it look good. I'll leave it to you to master the art of the perfect combination that fools even the most avid nutritionist in the family. Bonus Tip... Add a piece of fruit casually alongside your accompanying glass of water!

Note: research it but the portion of nuts and seeds is somewhere around 30g per day for a healthy balance. The rest is pure indulgence, so ad-lib.
 
Last edited:
LOVE IT!
Sounds good and healthy, well...until you get to the magic, lol.
Hubs use to throw Haribo Gummies and Lindor Truffles into my lap while I was on my recliner in the early days.
I felt like a dog getting tossed a bone because he would do it after I did my exercises, hobbled to the bathroom and back, practiced on stairs or any other mundane thing I accomplished in the early days.
Thanks for sharing, Deni!
@Deni444
 
Milestone Reached :yahoo:

As predicted there were tears. Avoided them until a neighbour I hadn't seen in a year or so, slammed on the brakes to stop, jump out and get excited to see me out. Well, tears of joy and relief spilled out from both of us... Hardly know her really, just a lady and a dog I'd bump into occasionally. I now have a goal of making it to the end of the village where I'll call in for coffee to celebrate.

All this excitement and it wasn't very far at all. Probably under the length of a football pitch. It was out and through my gate though and I walked with my husband and we stopped at a tree, admired some bluebells and some fell ponies grazing in the distance. Turned around and walked slowly home to a depressed dog who got left behind. I long to update you in the future that I walked my dog for the first time... Get the tissue ready! My troubled right leg (still awaiting replacement) was strapped to within an inch of it's life. That helped.

@Layla It's mostly nuts and seeds... Honest!

@myglasshalffull I think the shocker is as you describe... Sleeplessness with no real reason half the time. I'm generally a good sleeper, so I'm confident it will be temporary... But the most frustrating thing about recovery.
 
Last edited:
It's mostly nuts and seeds... Honest!
I believe you and I think it sounds yummy and healthy with protein and healthy fats.
I already suggested it be added to our Recipes for Recovery thread project.
Thanks!
 
@Deni444 …. Your posts are always so enjoyable to read and I absolutely LOVE this wonderful recipe. We may adopt it as a BoneSmart healthy treat if you don’t mind. The nuts, seeds, and fruit provide nutrition for the body and the treats give a much-needed boost to the soul during recovery. These things are important.
 
@Jamie I'd be delighted because it perked me up a treat when I invented it a couple of days ago and tweaked it to the next level today.

To be honest, I already had the jar of mixed nuts and seeds. Something I discovered and found amazingly beneficial when I was having extreme hormonal swings during menopause. Based on seed cycling but I didn't have the patience for the cycling bit and just mixed them all to take pot luck on a small handful. I subsequently added dried cranberries to the mix at some point because I read they supported brain health and a healthy immune system. They also give it a real taste kick. I generally have a small portion daily.

During the early hours of the morning after another period of insomnia. I hobbled to the kitchen looking for sweets in the snack draw. Then I caught sight of the nut jar and on a whim tipped a bag of skittles in and shook it up. Grabbed a little bag and a handful went in and I hobbled back to my recliner. A few minutes of pure delight. Didn't fall to sleep but I felt a lot better. I had another go today with the added indulgence of a mini bag of chocolate maltesers. I thought I'd share because other bone smarties are struggling too.
 
@Deni444 -just to ease your mind, I was never in my entire life a sweet eater-ever, no cokes, desserts or sugar. Immediately after my surgery I wanted anything with sugar. I have weened myself off mostly now, but idk what our bodies go through but I suggest give it what it’s craving. I can not understand it to this day.
 
“ I wanted anything with sugar.”
This is really the only thing I can eat right now. Oatmeal cookies, muffins with ice cream. I dabble with chocolate but I have never eaten cookies etc. They are delicious and they are sustaining my recovery. I do try and have some protein and veggies each day. But it all makes me feel a little sick except the cookies.
 
@msart I absolutely agree with you that a little of what you fancy is beneficial. I'm treating this the same way, I'd treat a holiday. I'll indulge a little and be strict when the holiday is over. I've designated it a six week holiday.

@Wheatsiebat

I've been all over with my cravings. I had a day where it was everything salty. Anything cookie another. In amongst the unhealthy cravings, I've had cravings for fruit and I only wanted to eat lashings of salad with a side of protein for over a week. I'm settling down now to the things that are my normal treats and otherwise healthy options. I worked hard to drop some weight before surgery and so I feel I've at least created a bit of a buffer zone to get me over the hump.

I'm hoping healthy eating and increased activity as I progress will work its magic.

The nuts and also beans could be useful substitute until you get your appetite for other protein back. Do you like chickpeas/garbanzo? I'm thinking a chocolate chip, peanut butter hummus. Bread sticks dip. I've made my version of the hummus minus the chocolate chips but I think they'd make it wow! If you've got a blender, drain can of chickpeas, add a good few table spoons of peanut butter, dribble in enough healthy oil until it's the consistency you like, whilst blending. Season with either salt or sugar depending on your sweet and salty tolerance/liking. Mix in the chocolate chips by hand if that's your thing. Dip your cookie in it or go for something healthy if you're feeling brave
 
Last edited:
I'm laughing & loving these "treat" recipes & in early days I was going through chocolate almond chip ice cream like crazy! Packed on 15 pounds after surgery between no real exercise & my love for this ice cream.
Fortunately I did lose the weight & actually couple extra pounds for good measure.
Hey, when in "recovery" we deserve treats!
 
I was going through chocolate almond chip ice cream like crazy!
Has to be the most talked about guilty pleasure post op that I've ever read here. For fun, put it in the SEARCH and see how many times it's been mentioned. Everyone seems to love ice cream while in healing mode.
I'll have some Ben and Jerry's please, any flavor will do, never tried a bad one. :wink:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom