THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

As long as you don’t have problems taking NSAIDs, there shouldn’t be a problem starting them again post-op. Doctors normally caution you if you’re taking a blood thinner, but you should be past that by now unless you need something like Eliquis for heart issues. Good idea to have a chat with your pharmacist.
 
Thanks @Jamie

I've finished the blood thinning injections but am prescribed 1 Aspirin per day for 28 days and I'm only just over half way through those (just standard precaution rather than specific for me). At this point I'd be willing to forgo the Aspirin in favour of the Naproxen. I'll take medical guidance before doing so but to my mind more activity and less sitting is of greater benefit than an Aspirin in terms of avoiding a blood clot.

I'm also beginning to get itchy and so believe I'm reacting to something I'm taking. Long term Paracetamol or the Aspirin or accompanying gastric capsule. I've never reacted to Naproxen or the usual gastric medicine I take to go with it.

My recovery seems to be dominated by everything but my wonderful new hip which all by itself gets better every day. My knee flexion had magically improved to post op ability when I got in bed tonight. No pain on doing it at all. Without thinking, I simply bent my knee when laying down to shuffle up the bed. A natural thing for me because my other leg doesn't like doing it. It really is testimony to that range of motion improvement not requiring painful physio. I'm a good example of how a hip recovers, even with a modest amount of walking and no dedicated physio.
 
Last edited:
Could the itching be allergies from spring pollen? Have you tried Benadryl for that?

It’s good to ask your doctor about the aspirin but I’m with you that when you’re active, the blood clot risk is low. You could take a baby aspirin (81mg) maybe along with the Naproxen with no problem and get the benefit of both.
 
Thanks again @Jamie :flwrysmile:

I'm going to take an antihistamine. I get contact dermatitis that has a mind of its own. Often difficult to determine, could be the latex type covering on the handle of the crutches but once it's off... It tends to spread.

Spoke to the pharmacist at the hospital. She wanted me to continue with the Aspirin and avoid Naproxen. There was a logical reason that I don't remember well enough to relay. She did however say I could use NSAID Gel at full dosage. That's something! It will I think, help my right leg although it probably won't do my itchy hand much good :heehee:

Two more weeks... I can do that. I guess just frustrating because my hip is doing great and I'd like to be walking more. Plenty of time though and six months from now this little niggle will be long forgotten!

Foot note edit: the NSAID Gel stopped the hand itching... Win win, just use that hand to put the gel on my knee :)
 
Last edited:
I'm a good example of how a hip recovers, even with a modest amount of walking and no dedicated physio.
You and many others. It's hard for some to believe it's possible though...and understandable why.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.
 
@Layla Thanks, that's so reassuring!

Had my virtual physio appointment today. Was pretty good. They had the normal list of stuff to do but we discussed an approach were I gradually encourage myself to try everyday activities or rather movement that incorporated the particular movement.I quite liked that idea because that's what I do anyway. Not totally BoneSmart friendly as he still talked about the importance of them but didn't push.

The good news, he was more than happy for me to ditch my wedge cushion I have on my recliner as a precaution. He encouraged me that my surgeon applies no particular precaution other than care and mindfulness about avoiding what my body tells me it doesn't like. Particularly as he said he's not worried I'll be attempting the gym in my current limited capacity. He didn't see me hitting the treadmill or lifting weights :heehee:
 
28 Days Post Op Journal: Left THR Posterior Cemented (Severe Bone on Bone right hip, awaiting surgery)

A list of milestones and niggles in this entry. If you've followed my progress, you'll know it's been impacted by my yet to be replaced, bone on bone right hip. In hindsight I really wish I'd have pushed for bilateral surgery. I can't imagine how it would have been that much more difficult than coping with what has often been a non weight bearing other leg during recovery. I'll never know!

Milestones
  • Can now walk with two walking sticks as far as I can on crutches and use only one for short distances. (I am choosing to continue using mostly two crutches because I feel it's helping to re-train my posture.)
  • Can be active around the house doing very light chores for about 40 minutes
  • Have removed all additional booster cushions from seating. (My surgeon does not apply hip precautions post op. I was to avoid positioning or activity that was painful or difficult or caused subsequent pain or swelling. My physio confirmed that it was safe to remove booster cushions if I was comfortable without them and standing up was easy without straining)
  • Dismantled my recovery nest. (I now have the energy and ability to get up and retrieve anything I need from it's normal everyday place. I want to enjoy my living room back to normal configuration. My nest consisted of everything I could need in reaching distance from my recliner.)
  • Getting a good night sleep in bed more often than not.
  • Icing a lot less (because of less swelling after activity)
  • Knee inflexion almost perfect and pain free when performing a shuffle in bed. Despite zero PT exercises.
Niggles
  • Right leg reacts poorly to increased walking and so I'm finding it difficult to extend my walking time or distance. Alternatively, I'm aiming for increased activity in the house and this involves more standing, less walking. It's a compromise. On a brighter note my right leg does seem to be settling down a little.
  • I'd benefit from taking anti-inflammatory medication for my bone on bone leg but have not been cleared to do so until I finish blood thinning medication. This is annoying but on the other hand I haven't had to wear the awful stockings because of the medication.
  • Arthritis flare in hands due to strain from using crutches. I've been cleared to use Ibuprofen gel. I've padded out the handles on the crutches
 
Last edited:
Hello and Happy Wednesday! I hope you're having a good day.
You're making great progress and it's unfortunate that your ailing right leg is hindering your recovery somewhat.
Cleaning up your recovery nest, as you did, knowing you have the ability to get what you need without assistance is a wonderful accomplishment. I remember that well, it made me feel like less of a patient.
Nice update, Deni! May it only get better. :)
@Deni444
 
@Layla It felt wonderful to clear that nest as wonderful as it was when I needed it. It seemed like a good idea because with my limited ability to go on an extended walk outside currently, I wanted to ensure I was getting lots of mini walks. Sitting and resting is good but it can also become a bit of a habit. Walking to the kitchen to take medication is good exercise. As is going to retrieve my grabber from another location if I knock something over. That's probably equivalent to a ten mile walk in a single day :heehee:
 
Hi @Deni444 . Good to see you're enjoying your new hip! I too, am enjoying mine. We both have another to go. I have my second, on the right side next week. I'm a bit anxious but knowing what to expect is helping some. My bad hip is so painful right now that I can hardly stand it so I feel very lucky to be getting it done so soon. I hope you are prioritized for your next hip. I can so relate to what you are going through.
 
@Deni444 wonderful new! Lots of great things are happening! Very happy for you!
I also have what feels like arthritis in my hands now. I find myself stretching them even before I get out of bed. And then again on walks. Taking my hands and my new hip out for a walk and a stretch.
 
@2newHips2025
I will be anxious too! A lot less now I know what to expect but it's still a big thing to go through. Thinking ahead... By June this year, you should hopefully be well on the way to walking well on two good hips! By Christmas, I imagine you'll be regularly forgetting you ever had hip replacement.

Thank you for sharing your struggles. It helps to know others are facing similar challenges and getting through them. Please keep us updated on your progress next week. I will be thinking about you and looking forward to cheering you on through your second hip.

@Wheatsiebat
I found the ibuprofen gel very effective on my hands. I only put a tiny bit on in the morning and it lasted all day to calm them to almost unnoticeable. In my experience, hand arthritis does tend to come and go. I have the tell tale lumps but they only cause me issues if they are subject to unusual repetitive strain. Something like painting a fence or scrubbing a floor with a hand brush. I find, squeezing a soft ball or a bundle of soft cloth soothing. I'm confident my hands will settle down as I use walking aids less. One day soon, you'll go on a walk and it will be just you! No hip or hands, chattering away at you!
 
Love these milestones!!! More great sleep to come….
 
Fantastic, it's such a great feeling. More progress on the road to recovety
 
After doing rather well for the last few days, I think I may have joined the ODIC. Got some pretty gruesome pain in my upper thigh near my incision area and s bit of groin pain. Feels like a really deep bruise and isn't great when I walk. Came on gradually after getting up this morning. I did have a moderately active day yesterday and did two laps around the garden. Not a massive amount but more walking than usual for me because my right leg was feeling better.

Ice isn't feeling great on it but I'm elevating it and popping the ice on for short periods. I got a milder version the other day when I sat in an upright chair and twisted about a bit trying to groom my dog. Just when I was beginning to feel so much better!
 
So sorry, Deni. :console2:
Early days still and sadly it doesn't take much to aggravate healing soft tissue.
Is this your first trip to the ODIC? If so, not bad. :wink: Fingers crossed its a short visit.
Happy Weekend!
@Deni444
 
Yes, I think it is my first trip real trip! I've felt things swell a little after activity but not had it flare up significantly. I've had to take a codeine, thought I was long finished with them. Hopefully it will calm down and I'll just have to take it more slowly with the walking. Took me by surprise because it came on the next day and not directly after the walk.

Thanks Layla :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom