THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Now you've done it @myglasshalffull @Layla :no-fin:

I hadn't even thought to fancy ice-cream yet. I'm sat literally salivating at the thought. I'm running through my pantry in my mind and wondering if I could drag out the ice cream maker and concoct something. Lucky for my waistline, I'm coming up blank. Not a total bust though... I'm doing an online shopping order tonight! :heehee:
 
Last edited:
23 Days Post-Op: Left THR, Posterior Cemented: Recovery Journal (Right leg, severe arthritis, awaiting replacement)

For this update I'll list milestones reached since the end of week two. I'll also review how successful my pre-op planning was. What worked and what I'd do differently. My recovery may be a bit slower than some, maybe a bit quicker than others. We're all different and so are our recoveries.

Milestones between 14-23 days post op

  • Slept in my bed for the first time
  • Slept a solid, unbroken 6 hours
  • First off property 10 minute walk
  • Can achieve knee slide 50%, painfree (without any physio exercises previously)
  • Can lift my leg a couple of inches when laying down, painfree
  • Can take a couple of steps without crutches
  • Can lift my leg higher when seated, pain free
  • Can take a shower. My shower is over bath and high sided. I couldn't lift my leg over side until now.
  • Can safely execute a golfers lift on crutches to retrieve a low down item
  • Off opioid medication
  • Time between off the shelf pain medication getting longer
  • Started to regularly overdo it a little as my energy and enthusiasm outpaces my physical recovery
  • Feeling like my normal self but with an injured leg
  • Can do very light housework such as a little tidying and dusting
  • Can make my own hot drinks but unable to carry them due to crutches

Pre-Op Planning Review: What I couldn't have done without and what I wish I'd thought of

Here are the things I decided before surgery based on research here on Bonesmart that I thought I would need and absolutely couldn't have lived without.

  • Recliner. Electric Leather swivel, modern zero gravity kind with three motors and USB charging points. The swivel needed careful management when sitting and standing but in hindsight it was far more useful than it was challenging. I found it useful for reaching things or simply changing my field of vision. The three way positioning is wonderful. I can adjust frequently to relieve aches by shifting pressure points. The seat, back and footrest all work independently and it achieves an almost flat position, perfect for sleeping. The USB charging has been invaluable, it has 2 points, one large USB and one micro. The angle of the seat is not totally flat it slopes down towards the back slightly. This would break restrictions and so I rectified using a wedge shaped cushion. It's a slight compromise on comfort and I need a little extra lumbar support because of it. A small soft pillow did the trick. Wouldn't be without it!
  • Two chair side tables. Initially I only planned on one reasonably sized round coffee table. It seemed more than adequate. A day in and things were getting knocked off continuously. I found that the vast quantity of meds alone took up a lot of space. Add the bottled water, phone, charger, snacks and tablet and it was chaos. Fortunately I had a small side table that I put alongside. Organisation was key but it gave me enough room to be able to get to everything without having a meltdown when things went flying.
  • Holding area for crutches. Having used crutches before and knowing I'm clumsy I thought ahead that I'd need to be able to have somewhere to put them where they didn't end up clattering to the floor. My walking frame was utilized. I used a belt to transform it into a makeshift umbrella stand. Worked incredibly well! When I remember to use it.
  • V shape soft pillow. Just purchased last minute on a whim. I used it upside down as lumbar support and found that it also added some arm support options. I could have managed without it but it was nice.
  • Two long handled grabbers. Invaluable and if anything not enough. I have one located at my chair and one in the bathroom. I really wish I had one in the bedroom too and maybe one in the kitchen. I wouldn't call it totally over the top to have one in every room. Obviously that's just a bit lazy because you can carry them about. I believe you can get extendable or folding versions, maybe that's a solution to make them easier to carry.
  • Long handled shoe horn. I can generally wiggle shoes and slippers on. All my shoes are slip on. I found I couldn't wiggle my foot during the first week. I couldn't have managed without it! I believe some grabbers have a shoe horn attached.
  • Blanket. I found I felt I fluctuated between too cold and too hot during the first couple of weeks. My blanket was a blessing, it hung on my walker holding station alongside crutches, grabber, shoe horn and earphones
  • Sock aid. You are not putting a sock on independently without one.
  • Magic Gel Ice Packs. I have one large hip size and two small ones. They freeze quickly and the larger one stays cold for a couple of hours. The smaller for about 40 minutes but with the bonus they can be heating the microwave as well as frozen. Definitely couldn't do without. I found ice as good as a painkiller at reducing aches and generally helping the leg to relax.
  • Snacks. I underestimated how bad my appetite would be in the first week. I had prepped for all the healthy meals and food I should be eating. I just couldn't eat most of it. In desperation, I got my hubby to run to the store for a large selection of granola and other assorted breakfast bars. All very sweet and not as healthy as they made out but I could eat them. I could also enjoy salty snacks such as potato chips and bacon fries. I found I could also eat grapes, a bit of banana and sometimes an apple. Not ideal but I had to eat with medication. Maybe I'd consider nutrition drinks for my next leg.
  • Phone, Tablet, Earbuds. Can't imagine surviving without them. To be honest I hadn't got the focus for reading or watching but browsing and this forum in particular was a life saver, including the under used games area for a few days.
  • Large plastic Tub with lid. I couldn't believe the amount of medication I came home with. Fortunately I'd prepped a container for bits and bobs like charger and ear buds. They were chucked out in favour of using the tub for all the medication. I was really helpful having them safely secured and easy to grab all at once. The tub sat nicely on my lap at medication time.
  • Water Bottle. I was getting through glasses of water and in danger of wearing hubby's feet out. The solution a larger water bottle and glass.
  • Travel Coffee cup. I didn't prepare for one and don't own one. I could make a drink but not carry it with crutches. I improvised with a small canning jar and lid carried in my pocket. Not ideal I'll buy a travel mug for next time
  • Bathroom items. I couldn't have managed without my framed, Raised toilet seat. I needed support and the handles were invaluable. Grabber as mentioned above for reaching clothes, removing clothes and getting dressed. For reaching a towel or anything else out of reach which means everything. Due to my severe mobility issues having two bad legs a mobile b'day was very useful. The squeeze bottle and long nozzle type. Long handled sponge and hand held super soft baby sponge. All invaluable alongside making sure everything is accessible to a grabber.
I'll leave it there. I'm sure there is more but I've run out of memory for now. I'll edit it in if I think of anything else.
 
Last edited:
All great info & updates. Especially for someone that might be considering or needing THR.
Do you find you drop stuff more now & need grabber more? Seemed like everything I touched landed on the floor. Lots of bad words out of my mouth followed by my long kitchen tongs picking the item up!
 
@myglasshalffull Thanks for cheering me along all these weeks. I really appreciate it :flwrysmile:

Just when I think I've graduated and moved away from dropping everything, it comes back with a vengeance and bites me on the behind! I think I'm just generally clumsy. I do have a bit of hand arthritis and I'd love to blame it on that. The other day I dropped one crutch and the grabber and at the time couldn't walk without two crutches. It took me forever to use the elbow part of the crutch I'd managed to retain, to fish the other crutch. I then had to get grabber number two to rescue grabber number one.

I've utilised my cooking tongues too! Very useful for low cupboard items. I discovered a super useful thing the other day. I have a long handled dustpan and brush. I got stuck with a bowl of dog food the grabber wouldn't carry. I used the very lightweight long handle to position the dustpan on the counter. Popped the dog bowl on it and lowered it down. I then pushed it along into position and gently tipped the bowl out. I was quite proud of that one. I think I'll patent it. Make it look less like a dustpan and give it a fancy name.
 
The other day I dropped one crutch and the grabber and at the time couldn't walk without two crutches. It took me forever to use the elbow part of the crutch I'd managed to retain, to fish the other crutch. I then had to get grabber number two to rescue grabber number one.
Been there, done that. :heehee: Various versions, fishing for the grabber with the cane, hooking the cane onto the walker to drag it closer, using the grabber to pick up the cane. Those grabbers are invaluable!
I'd just sit and chuckle at how pathetic I felt somedays...then give thanks that the situation was only temporary.
Fun times! :egypdance: Not really :wink:
Happy Friday, Deni!
 
I got stuck with a bowl of dog food the grabber wouldn't carry. I used the very lightweight long handle to position the dustpan on the counter. Popped the dog bowl on it and lowered it down. I then pushed it along into position and gently tipped the bowl out. I was quite proud of that one. I think I'll patent it. Make it look less like a dustpan and give it a fancy name
This may be an item to keep in mind for future.
Pet Bowl (requires no bending to fill or clean) - Here
 
Oh I've done that as well - dropped a crutch and the grabber! One of the grabbers has a little clip attached so you can attach it to a crutch, very useful until you drop the crutch! I can’t believe just how long everything takes! Getting ready for bed - prepping meds, setting injection ready, changing into nightclothes etc can take an hour with taking my socks off like something from a TV games show and can have me almost in tears. At least when I had my planned knee replacement I was getting an improved joint but my hip was fine before I fractured it so hadn’t planned and prepared.
 
@IndigoKnee You paint a perfect picture! Everything takes a ridiculously long time. Literally all morning for a bathroom and dress routine if I factor in a recliner chair session to recover, on route between the bedroom and bathroom! I'm happy those injections are behind me now! I still look like a bruised pin cushion though.

Sounds like you were really chucked in the deep end! It's tough but personally I do find there are mini improvements daily that help. Yesterday, I was able to switch one crutch for a walking stick. Much easier because the stick is less clumsy and can hang off my wrist out of the way a little more than a crutch hanging off the elbow. I'm getting dressed a little quicker too. I managed to do everything in terms of dressing apart from socks using a single crutch yesterday. Bizarrely it was clumsy but actually quicker.

@Layla Unfortunately that link didn't work for the UK. What was it? Hubby can do the pets but the little fluffy things are spoilt and like me to do everything. They just sit and look at him in disgust, as if to say... You're doing it all wrong and we're on strike until you do it like mum does it!

Like you, mostly I give thanks and it doesn't faze me too much. More a comedy act really and more often than not I'm laughing at myself... Unless it's 3 am and on opioids... Probably had a meltdown or two then. That medication is such a mixed blessing. I hope you enjoy a wonderful Easter :prayer:
 
@Deni444 We had op same day it seems. Sorry to hear you have a lot of pain in your other leg. I’m actually getting more pain in my knee ( the one that was replaced 2 years ago) than the hip now. I suspect it was pushed around while having the hip surgery.
 
Last edited:
@IndigoKnee
I was 26th of March. Yes, I think they do push the knees around. I definitely feel like I have picked up an injury in my right knee. It could be just arthritis but it feels a bit beyond that, more like a strain of some kind. I feel a little disappointed that the physio team at the hospital didn't pay it any attention. It was clearly barely weight baring on discharge. I was a bit too wavy headed to think about it at the time. Maybe it would have benefit from a brace or strapping. Would have made my early recovery so much easier. I think of all the money I paid and don't feel I really got my monies worth on how I was discharged. Everything apart from the physio was wonderful but they definitely let the side down. They continue to be pretty poor. They messed up my first virtual physio session this week and it's now postponed until next week. I was pretty much going to ignore anything strenuous they prescribe on the operation leg but was hoping for some timely help with my ailing right knee.

I'm hoping when my surgeon reviews my right leg decline he'll prioritise me on the list for replacement. I'm not looking forward to facing another surgery so soon but I'd like to be on my final recovery lap sooner rather than later.

I was just searching out your thread... I'll get back to it :)
 
@Deni444 Sounds like your right leg is in a pretty poor state so I hope you can get that surgery soon.

Ah yes you were a couple of days after me - I misread.

Interesting what you were saying about poor aftercare. I had my knee replacement two years ago at a private hospital (though paid for by the NHS) and although the care before and after the operation was excellent and I had several visits from the surgeon whilst still in the hospital they actually discharged me whilst I was still fainting every time I stood up as it was the weekend and all the other patients had gone - so that wasn’t so good.

The recent hip replacement was at a NHS hospital and everyone seemed very rushed, then my ward caught Noravirus, which in due course I got. My care once home though was pretty good - my area (Cornwall) have a good community team so a physio visited me at home and made arrangements for an additional handrail and grab handle on my extremely steep stairs. Then they came out to take blood for the DVT screening.
Swings and roundabouts I suppose and sounds like you made the decision to pay privately for your operation due to the pain you were in, so it probably was the correct decision.
 
I suspect it was pushed around while having the hip surgery.
Yes, I think they do push the knees around. I definitely feel like I have picked up an injury in my right knee.
The knee is manipulated...rotated and moved in an effort to dislocate the femoral head from the socket. It should be done carefully to avoid stress on the knee or surrounding soft tissues, but many complain of a sore knee afterward. Count me as one of them. Ice your knee, right along with your hip if it's bothering you and hopefully it will bring some relief. Happy Saturday, ladies! :SUNsmile:
 
Love your latest update, Deni, not only to read about your progress, but your opinion on what recovery items you found useful, or items you wish you had purchased.
@Deni444
 
@Layla
My knee pain is in my non operated knee. It's sensitive to anything at the best of times and suspect it was under strain from my position. My shoulder on that side hurt like mad when I came round from surgery. I am only guessing but imagine it was in an unhelpful position. I'm looking forward to a physio appointment on Tuesday because I need to try and stabilise it or help it at this point post op. It's gotten a little better but I can feel it has something going on. It's a sharp pain on certain movements. Not what I generally experience with it. It's severely putting a downer on my ability to walk and exercise my new hip. I think maybe it needs a temporary brace or perhaps rest... But that's such a nuisance.
 
Ugh! So sorry. Recovery from joint replacement is enough in itself. I understand why you're looking forward to your physio appointment on Tuesday. I do hope they're able to assist in bringing you speedy relief, Deni.
@Deni444
 
@IndigoKnee
I didn't realise you were in the UK too. I love Cornwall, my family comes from Mullion.

I was looking at a minimum 10 month wait and was already housebound so robbed my pension savings. Same surgeon, just got done quicker paying for the Nuffield.

I've had a bit of a nightmare with the NHS since discharge. When I had wound issues, I couldn't get anyone out to me because they had not processed my handover back to the NHS. Despite a telephone call to them and hand delivered letter. Couldn't get the on-call district nurse out. Couldn't drop into my local cottage hospital. They didn't process my prescription. I'm on the Scottish borders in rural Cumbria and the Nuffield was a 4 hour round trip. I had to make the trip to get a wound check in the end. When I spoke to the Nuffield about it they said they often have problems with NHS handover. Not always but apparently an ongoing battle in some areas. It seems there is a reluctance to share care but paying for private treatment does not in any way change the fact that the NHS are responsible upon discharge.

Note for anyone going private in UK
Thought I'd make this point for anyone in a similar position. Personally, I'd book an appointment with your NHS GP just prior to private surgery to ensure adequate care is lined up for you upon discharge. This is particularly important if you happen to need care over the weekend or after the surgery is closed. Especially if your private hospital is a long distance away.
 
I suspect it was pushed around while having the hip surgery.
Yes, I think they do push the knees around. I definitely feel like I have picked up an injury in my right knee.
The knee is manipulated...rotated and moved in an effort to dislocate the femoral head from the socket. It should be done carefully to avoid stress on the knee or surrounding soft tissues, but many complain of a sore knee afterward. Count me as one of them. Ice your knee, right along with your hip if it's bothering you and hopefully it will bring some relief. Happy Saturday, ladies! :SUNsmile:
@Layla ah that makes sense. Thanks for that info. It probably doesn’t help that the left knee is the one that was replaced 2 years ago so it was probably going 'ahhh…. I don’t like you doing that….’ when the surgeon manipulated it!
 
@IndigoKnee
I didn't realise you were in the UK too. I love Cornwall, my family comes from Mullion.

I was looking at a minimum 10 month wait and was already housebound so robbed my pension savings. Same surgeon, just got done quicker paying for the Nuffield.

I've had a bit of a nightmare with the NHS since discharge. When I had wound issues, I couldn't get anyone out to me because they had not processed my handover back to the NHS. Despite a telephone call to them and hand delivered letter. Couldn't get the on-call district nurse out. Couldn't drop into my local cottage hospital. They didn't process my prescription. I'm on the Scottish borders in rural Cumbria and the Nuffield was a 4 hour round trip. I had to make the trip to get a wound check in the end. When I spoke to the Nuffield about it they said they often have problems with NHS handover. Not always but apparently an ongoing battle in some areas. It seems there is a reluctance to share care but paying for private treatment does not in any way change the fact that the NHS are responsible upon discharge.

Note for anyone going private in UK
Thought I'd make this point for anyone in a similar position. Personally, I'd book an appointment with your NHS GP just prior to private surgery to ensure adequate care is lined up for you upon discharge. This is particularly important if you happen to need care over the weekend or after the surgery is closed. Especially if your private hospital is a long distance away.
@Deni444 That all sounds pretty awful, having to undertake a four hour round trip while still presumably under hip precautions plus all the fatigue involved. All in all seems you have had a rough time with your pain escalating to such a degree that you had to make the decision to pay for a private operation.
I'm West Penwith are so not far from Mullion. Though I was born in Edinburgh. Beautiful day here, wish I was able to be out and walk down to my local cove rather than hobble down the road and back. Hey ho, will get there again eventually.
 
@IndigoKnee
You'll have to post me a celebration picture of your cove the day you hit that milestone! You'd make my day. It's been about 5 years since I've been down that way. I'm imagining it and feel your longing... It will happen and before you know it :swim:
 
I'm begining to think all of my other joints have a vendetta against my new hip. First my right knee does everything it can to stick a spanner in the works. My right ankle has gotten in on the act... Now it's my hands and elbows deciding they don't want anything to do with crutches! I'm amazed my new hip gets better every day because everyday there is a new reason I have to limit my walking. :kickedout:

Onwards and upwards... Switched to walking sticks, with makeshift extra padding on handles. I think I'm well overdue getting back on my anti-inflammatory Naproxen. I'll be calling the pharmacist tomorrow for a medication review. I'm taking 1 Aspirin daily and 8 paracetamol. I'm hoping it won't be an issue to start taking them again.

Anyone got any thoughts on getting back on antiinflammatory drugs post surgery?

Good news!!! I got a full night's sleep in bed last night.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom