Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Deni,
Finding a comfortable spot to put yourself is a challenge. I couldn't sit on my living room couch, way too low & too hard to get off!
We'd bring in one of my dining room chairs into living room so I could watch TV but after awhile I'd just go to bed & watch my laptop.
I said standing or laying down in early days were my best positions!
 
Just how it is early day', I know really @myglasshalffull :shrug:

You'll have to forgive my gloomy mood over it, just having a moan. Sun is shining today though and I just managed a half shower. Made a complete mess of the bathroom but it was worth it :bath:. A safe mess, I have a good bathroom mat that soaks up a fair bit of water so no danger of slipping on a wet floor. I couldn't get completely in, it's an over the bath type shower and the bath is high sided. Not quite ready for the slide my legs up over. I went for sitting on the bath board and leaning back. I adapted the toilet frame thing alongside for extra leaning back support. Washed my hair and top half. I knew the mat was getting a good soaking but, it was so worth it.

I'm almost at lunchtime and no medication at all ... I'm all over the place with that. Yesterday, completely opposite, back on a higher dose all day.
 
I'm almost at lunchtime and no medication at all ... I'm all over the place with that. Yesterday, completely opposite, back on a higher dose all day.
You will have better pain management on those bad days if you are consistent with taking your pain medications on a regular schedule -- whether you feel you need them or not. It's really critical to keep the level of medication in your bloodstream stable especially at this early stage of recovery. Letting your body get into pain can actually slow your recovery.

I encourage you to re-read this article about why it's so important: Pain management and the pain chart
 
Thanks @benne68 I was following the instructions they sent me home with that directed as per your instructions initially but then directs to take only as necessary. They make the point 'strongly' that it's about pain management and not avoidance. I think you're right though and it's my pain journey, not theirs. These are over the counter pain killers and so, I think I'll go back to the paracetamol on schedule. I will however avoid the Codein unless necessary as it upsets my stomach. I'll reread your article, thanks for the link and reminder!

Two weeks of broken sleep is knocking my decision making, I really do value the reminder :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
I think I'll go back to the paracetamol on schedule.
That's what I relied on for my basic pain management. I saved the opioids for breakthrough pain, especially at bedtime because they helped me sleep.

I'm sure you already know this but you can take 1000 mg of paracetamol every six hours (4 times a day) -- as long as none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. You don't want to exceed 4000 mgs/day.

As time goes on and you feel that the pain has lessened, you can reduce the frequency to every 8 hours (3 times a day). And then, wean yourself to 500mg .... and so on. You get the idea.

I'm heading off on holiday, so won't be around for the next couple of weeks. But the rest of our team will be here for whatever you need!
 
I'll miss you @benne68 but I hope you have a wonderful holiday! Don't forget to take some nice pictures. Thank you for everything :loveshwr:
 
Week 2 Post Op Experience: Left Side THR, Posterior Cemented 26/3/25

Everyone's journey is different and no two hips are the same but these are the highs, the lows and particular circumstances of my journey during week two. I have severe chronic arthritis in both hips, both were overdue for replacing but the left leg is shorter and my surgeon thought it beneficial to add length to the left side before replacing the right hip. The right leg however has significant soft tissue damage and so my recovery experience reflects the challenges this brings.

Day 8 Post Surgery
  • Suddenly started to feel somewhat normal after a week of post surgery exhaustion. More energy, clearer head and stronger
  • Moved from using a walker to using crutches
  • I was happy to be sitting upright for short periods without severe discomfort.
  • I was able to supplement my walks to the bathroom and back with a few additional steps from my chair.
  • My wound began to weep and my dressing looked a mess. The previously white dressing was now predominantly yellow and dirty looking.
  • The hospital advised me the wound needed checking urgently as a precaution.
  • Wound was cleaned, checked, swabbed and redressed by an out of call medic. He was confident the wound was not infected but telephoned for a surgical consult to determine if antibiotics were necessary. They were not because the wound looked healthy and all my vital signs were good. I was told to monitor myself for signs of infection until the results of the swab came through (48 hrs). I posted about this episode. It was a bit of a drama at the time due to inadequate local post operative support and the long distance to my hospital.
Day 9 Post Surger
  • Post surgery fatigue returned. Once again, all I can do is shuffle from my recliner to the bathroom and back.
  • Taking my medication on schedule and pain minimum with no swelling
Day 10 Post Surgery
  • My newly refreshed dressing was peeling off. I was advised that in the event of the dressing peeling up, I was to tape it down, rather than remove and replace it.
  • The dressing is not sticking and medical tape not holding for long. I'm concerned the wound is still weeping.
  • I opted for the 4 hour round trip back to hospital to have it checked by my surgical team. More to ease my anxiety that was growing significantly at this point
  • It transpired that this time it was not my surgical wound weeping. I have contact dermatitis and was reacting to the medical tape used to patch up the peeling dressing. I had multiple blisters bursting and oozing fluid.
  • The wound was clean and healing well but the area around it where adhesive had contact with my skin, was blistered and angry.
  • My wound was Cleaned and redressed and I was sent home comforted that the surgical support team were happy with my wound health and recovery. I posted about this episode at the time experienced
  • The wound drama left me feeling physically and mentally exhausted I slept almost the entire journey in the car, to and from the hospital
  • Finished my course of blood thinner injections. I'm glad not to have to administer them anymore but self administering injection wasn't as hard as I'd feared it would be. I was quite anxious about this from the moment I knew I would have to do it
Day 11 Post Surgery
  • I woke feeling somewhat normal again and experienced a sudden energy boost
  • Glorious weather and I was walking slowly on my crutches to the garden for lunch on the patio
  • Had enough energy and stamina to do extra steps. I got up to let the dog out outside.
  • Energy levels fluctuating constantly. I didn't have enough energy to let the dog back in again. Hubby got that job alongside everything and anything else that needed doing.
  • Predominantly I'm sat reclining all day with only trips to and from the bathroom. Additional walking is few and far between.
  • Start a course of 1 aspirin per day. A follow on blood thinner medication. My surgeon does not require routine use of surgical stockings but instead is strict on blood thinning medication.
Day 12-14 Post Surgery
  • Visit my local GP surgery to have my wound checked. All good, dressing removed for good and test results are clear. The wound is not infected and has healed well
  • I'm a little shocked at how ugly the whole wound looks but am pleased the wound has healed and healthy. I had dissolving stitches and no removal necessary.
  • Sleep is still illusive. The most I have slept in one stretch since discharge is 5 hours. Most nights I'm getting 4 hours or less. I'm finding napping in the day difficult too.
  • Constipation since I was discharged from hospital. I was taking the lower dose of stool softener with no relief and becoming very uncomfortable.
  • I was advised by my hospital to take a mild laxative called Senokot to ease the now very uncomfortable constipation caused by opioid medication. The mild laxative hworked but took 24 hours See the comments below this post on the importance of using a stool softener instead of a laxative.
  • My right (non operated leg) improved. I'd experienced a significant arthritis flair up in the leg that was not operated on since hospital. It was struggling to weight bear and my knee was painful despite the medication I was taking for my new hip.
  • I'm still not steady enough to tackle my over bath shower. I managed a hair wash. I was able to, safely, lean back sitting on the edge of the bath and wash my hair and shower my shoulders. Wonderful highlight of the week.
  • More movement and walks around the house between bathroom trips
  • Swelling for the first time due to more activity.
  • Icing and elevating is now my go to in-between walk around the house.
Any questions? Please don't hesitate to ask, I'm more than happy to respond back
 
Last edited:
If you're having trouble with constipation, it's better not to take a laxative for more than a few days. Instead use a stool softener such as Colace. It is not a stimulant and does not cause your digestive system to become dependent on it to go. Stay away from any products that have the word "stimulate" on the label, even if it says "all natural." With the Colace, you can take up to 4 capsules a day.

You can also use Miralax, which also is not a stimulant. Use both the Colace and Miralax together if you need to until you are regular again.
 
Thanks @Jamie :)
That's a timely response and I edited my round up to clarify.

I am once again experiencing constipation. I was prescribed stool softener and was taking them every day since discharged. It's called Dioctyl 100mg, dosage 1 or 2, twice per day. It didn't work, the hospital called to review my meds at end of week 1. I asked my nurse and she advised me to take Senokot. Even they took a couple of days to work. In hindsight and in view of your response here, I don't think I was taking enough of the Dioctyl. I'm a little cautious because I can develop sudden allergies to all kinds of medication and bring on hives. I'd opted for taking the minimum 1 tablet, twice per day.

I'm taking 2 as we speak. I'll give the higher dose of dioctyl a go and only resort to senokot as an absolute last resort.
 
Last edited:
Your updates are a good way to record your experiences in recovery because you will be having your other hip replaced eventually & even though that recovery may be different it's good to have this to refer to down the road as well as helping others.
We replaced our bath tub about 6 years ago with a walk in shower. Best thing we ever did. The high tub to climb over as you get older is a challenge.
 
In the UK, MiraLax goes by the names Macrogol or Movicol. You can get it on a AmazonUK or in some pharmacies. Add it to the Dioctyl.

You are correct that you weren’t taking enough of the Dioctyl. It can take quite a bit (like 4 a day) to work well. But combining it with the MiraLax will help. Also, here is an article from our BoneSmart Library on constipation that explains in great detail why it happens. Scroll down and you’ll find some recipes for things to eat that will help tremendously.
 
Thanks @Jamie I think I'm good with the 2 tablets but thank you for the heads up on the MiraLax. The Dioctyl x 2 worked incredibly quickly and efficiently. I'll read the article though to get a better understanding.

Unrelated question. Can I please ask, How long should I expect it to take my bladder to settle down? I understand frequent trips are normal but I've noticed that it's more a feeling of a full bladder, rather than an actual full bladder.

@myglasshalffull Bathroom renovation was next up on our list of jobs but guess where the money went! Never mind, it's not the end of the world... It just felt like it a few times when things were tough. I'm going to have a shower attempt again today. Hopefully it will be easier. I could get hubby to help, he'd be happy to but I'd like a bit of privacy, dignity and calming steam all to myself at this point. The bathroom has been the 'recovery house of horror' on my journey with all of my early raised toilet mishaps! I'm definitely getting a different seat for hip number 2!!!!
 
Last edited:
Hi Deni,
I believe the effect of the anesthesia can linger and affect the bladder function for awhile longer than two weeks post op. Also, if you're still on opioids it may lead to retention. Interestingly enough, I read that positioning can affect your bladder from complete emptying and early on it may be more difficult to comfortably sit as we normally did pre-op. I also read that swelling near the surgical site can put pressure on the nearby nerves the influence bladder signals. Interesting!

For constipation - Hydration is key. Make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day. Fiber rich foods too...Fruits and veggies. I know that some forms of Magnesium can also have a laxative effect, if interested you can do a little research.

Good luck with the shower today. My first two were quickies, as the energy was low, but felt oh so good afterwards.
Happy Friday, Deni, the support you offer others here is so thoughtful. Thank you! :loveshwr:
@Deni444
 
Thanks so much @Layla

I'm confident any bladder issue is temporary. Having read a little myself too and a bizarre little observation, I believe things in that area may have gotten a little out of whack. I was doing a few glute clenches, just gentle squeeze and release. I was suddenly aware, no release. It did release but with a considerable delayed action. I could feel the sensation around the urethra area just stay clenched. It seemed to relax even later than the glutes. Maybe a long leap of an idea but I'm wondering if some of my raised toilet seat issues were actually connected to a muscle or nerve group in that area. This causing the stream of urine to misdirect. I also had a funny episode on a bed pan in hospital. It shouldn't have missed the well positioned bed pan.

I don't know why I've just felt the need to type that out loud :whistle:. Nothing to read here folks... My recovery has been just fine and dandy, no wonky pipes here! :eyebrows:
 
I can’t say about your idea that the nerves may be in a state of wonkiness after surgery, but I agree with you that what you’re experiencing will most likely be temporary and not worth worrying about. As funny as it sounds, when you have bladder issues like this one of the recommendations is to increase your daily water intake. So, I would try that for a week or two. How much water are you currently drinking each day now?
 
As always @Jamie you get right on the point, as Layla hinted at too. I've reduced my water a bit... I know, I hear you! In my defence I just wanted to sleep without having to go to the bathroom a million times (exaggerating).

It didn't work anyway... As per my latest winge :blackcloud:I still needed to go frequently but for only a little trickle. I'll take your very logical guidance and go back to drinking plenty of water!

On a super positive note... :catdance:
SLEPT A FULL NIGHT!!!

Napped through the evening, turned the light out at 11 pm and woke up at 6 am... Dash to the toilet... It was thankfully, as full flow as would be expected. Made my own coffee for the first time since surgery and precariously carried it back to my nest whilst walking with two elbow crutches. Could have added third degree burns to my issues... But thankfully I was spared the consequences of my own stupidity :yahoo:
 
Deni,
I'm much older than you but I get this "urgency" at times & go in to bathroom only to produce 2 drops. So frustrating!
I drink one cup of coffee in AM & after that it's all water all day, maybe a ginger ale now & then if I need something bubbly to drink.
Once or twice a week my partner & I have a glass or two of wine but I try & stop drinking too much by 7PM so I don't get up 3x's a night.
I've tried all different combos of drinking water, not drinking doesn't seem to matter. I've had a few nights that went to sleep 10:30 or so & woke up at 5:30 AM with no bathrooms trips. those are the best!
 
On a super positive note... :catdance:
SLEPT A FULL NIGHT!!!
This is awesome! It is so wonderful to turn the corner on sleep if you're struggling in any way to get some solid restorative rest. I hope it continues, Deni. Happy Saturday!
 
Thanks @Layla :wave:

Just did a lap around my main garden. I kicked off a daily afternoon walk schedule yesterday. Made it from the house and about quarter of the way around. Got back to my chair and iced as a precaution but no ill effect. It may even have contributed to a good night's sleep. My goal is three laps around the garden before tackling the world outside my gate. A whole lap today was more than I anticipated but it was not a struggle.

There may be a tear in my eye when I get beyond that gate. It's been a year since I could manage it. Definitely feeling that a recovery corner has been turned. Each week brings something wonderful and new and I'm really excited. It's still very early days and I'm on crutches and slow but I've already overtaken the Pre-Op me in terms of mobility.
 
@Deni444 …. I am so thrilled at your progress. It comes so slowly sometimes, but these little milestones are sweet and very important. There is a whole world outside that gate waiting for you. You’ll be there before you know it!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom