THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Thank you, so kind @Wheatsiebat

I think the weekend will delay results but I anticipate Monday. I'd like to think that if anything horrible showed up, I'd hear urgently. Based on my recent NHS experience, I doubt they'd be in a hurry about anything. I'm calm about it now, however. I went into panic mode on the day. I feel well in myself and the wound isn't painful. I'm the kind of person that can predict when I will come down with a cold or the flu, way before I get a real symptom. I'm quite attuned to subtle differences. I'm reasonably confident that I'd pick up on an infection. If I have any concerns, I'll go back to my hospital, avoiding my local serviced.

I'll be over on your thread shortly to talk gardens. I'm excited to hear more about yours. Love the things you are growing. So different to my North West British climate.
 
Another day, another drama. My dressing wasn't looking good again. The only local help, NHS, a lengthy wait in our local A&E. I called the hospital they thought it best to go in and they check it out and redress it. That meant a 4 HR round trip. I have to say, it couldn't have gone better. I put the seat back got comfortable and pretty much slept there and back. At the hospital.. this time I'd had a bad reaction to the disaster dressing put on during the previous wound puss drama. The dressing the young doctor put on having promptly fallen off half hour after he left had been secured multiple times with medical tape. I have sensitive skin, I'd blistered and the blisters were weeping. The good news, they were happy with how the wound looked and how it was healing. I'm still awaiting the results of the swab taken the other day. They cleaned it up, secured a good dressing and home I went. I have an appointment with my local nurse on Monday morning. She's to check, change and report back to the hospital. Another positive note at the end of another stressful day... My right leg (non operated) decided it would actually join the party and help out a bit more today. I walked through the house to the car. From the car to reception, to the lift, up the lift and along a corridor. Repeating it all to return. I was slow but quicker than I had been, on crutches and with an opposite arm and leg stride. Pretty exhausted now but so far no adverse effect. I'm expecting a stiff day tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted... I wonder what a dressing can do next :dubious:
 
I’m glad you decided to make the trip to the hospital. The fact that your incision looked good is wonderful news. Those skin blisters, while messy and raw, should improve pretty quickly. So it sounds like you’re back on track again. I’m impressed to hear your ability to walk. Even though you may be tired and maybe even a bit sore after all that, it’s certainly a positive sign.
 
That is such a relief to have good news and good care! Plus you are moving along.
Lol, on what a dressing can do next! Seems fairly talented so far!
 
Hi Deni,
What encouraging news! I am happy to hear it and I hope you're feeling even more optimistic after the trek to the hospital. The was a long one! Thankfully you were able to sleep through much of the drive. Hopefully with the time difference you're fast asleep right now and dreaming of your bright future. :egypdance:
Have a great Sunday!
@Deni444
 
Thanks @Layla :wave:

I'm still waiting for pay back pain... So far, so good. On the contrary, I only took 2 paracetamol before bed. Anticipated that I'd have to boost it with Codeine through the night. Not so, I'm a little stiff this morning but still haven't had any medication and I've been awake some time.

It's early days but it is a nice reminder that recovery means getting better :bath::tennis2::swim::kayak:
 
Thanks @myglasshalffull :wave:

Rest? I've got a date! Lunch on the patio in the sunshine. I really have but to be honest, I'm a bit achy after yesterday. To be expected and there's a lot of reclining going on with feet in the air. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!
 
Ahhhhh, @Deni444 …. This sounds like some real progress for you. These small steps like taking a little less of a medication or only slightly aching after an increase in activity are so important. We love celebrating them with you! Hope you enjoyed your time outside in the sun. That’s the best medicine of all!!
 
@Jamie Badge of honour... I'm icing some swelling for the first time.
Worth it though :flwrysmile:. Kind of have to find your limits.
 
I'm icing some swelling for the first time.
You been fortunate not to have much swelling until now. Ice and elevate, elevate and ice and you'll keep it down.

I hadn't yet found BoneSmart when I had my THR and my surgical team didn't give me the "ice-elevate" mantra. About a week post-op, surgical leg ballooned to twice the size of the other one. The bruising peaked about the same time. I wish I'd taken pictures, but I was so worried that something was wrong.

You've got this!
 
When I look back on how ill prepared & uninformed I was once my surgery was over. After about 3 days in hospital I started to swell terribly. I kept going to nurse station asking for ice & I didn't even know then that ice & elevating were recommended.
When I was transported to airport to make trip home they gave me ice at airport & crew on plane couldn't have been any nicer & I had ice while flying home. Such an ordeal...a nightmare really.
Then I found bonesmart...halleluiah!
Deni, sounds like a nice Sunday afternoon out on the patio in warm sun, it's been dismal, cool & rainy here & my body isn't liking it at all.
 
Thanks @benne68 @myglasshalffull

Yes, definitely getting a bit of swelling now. I think this is the start of my recovery journey. I'm surprised at how quickly, a little is too much. I guess the excitement of being able to walk. I think, a walk to the kitchen or the sunny patio is nothing. Then it washes over me and I feel that familiar tingle of swelling. Nothing too bad yet but I've read and headed your experiences. I'll drag out the ice a bit more frequently tomorrow.

Fantastic news! My swab for infection came back totally clear. I've got my dressing completely off for good. My poor blisters will hopefully heal quickly. Pain has increased with more activity, so back up a bit with medication. Another car trip although short this time alongside walking and sitting/walking at my local GP surgery created a mini breakthrough of pain. Back under control now. The fact I just nodded off typing this... Pretty much say's it all apart from to say, I'm really excited to be moving forward finally. Next challenge sleeping through the night!
 
My swab for infection came back totally clear.
Praise the Lord! Yes...awesome news, Deni!
Wishing you a night of restorative rest soon.
 
Your blisters should heal more quickly now that they are exposed to air. Glad things turned out okay for you.
 
Thank you Bone Smarties :thankyou:

I'm certainly praising the Lord for my many recovery blessings so far!
 
Happy to hear the swab came back clear, who needs to deal with an infection on top of recovering.
You are coming along nicely.
 
@benne68 Thanks, that was timely. I admit to feeling particularly fatigued today but it's following a trip out yesterday to the GP surgery.

It's going to be two weeks post op tomorrow but still an awful lot of sitting and resting and it's taking its toll. Feeling pretty uncomfortable in any position despite my recliner having multiple option. My right leg is better than it was but it's still reacting. It's very much like having a knee injury that needs rest. No good pushing it because it will completely stop weight bearing. There is no injury in the knee so it's difficult to treat. I know from experience that the only thing to do is rest it.

I also know too much rest is making me uncomfortable Being off antiinflammatory medication isn't helping the situation. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. A day where there isn't an outing but a day I can get around reasonably frequently without my right knee threatening to give out.

I'm wondering if my rocking chair is the answer. It's where I have done endless sitting in comfort over the last couple of years. I'm reluctant because I don't want to put my new hip in danger but think I could be careful enough. I could maybe get hubby to put wedges under the rocker arms so it doesn't rock. What do you think? Are rocking chairs particularly risky or like recliners... People say, 'no' without considering the nuances?
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable right now, @Deni444. I remember that restless feeling of needing to move and the little walks around the house didn't seem to help. It's hard to find relief. Just know that it is temporary and it will get better.

As far as the rocking chair, not knowing what type of chair you have makes it hard to offer an opinion. I think the biggest danger of bending past 90-degrees is getting into and out of the chair. If wedges will solve that problem, then give it a try. Will you be able to elevate when you use it? If so, give a try.

We each need to find what works best for us.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom