Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Anyone got any tips for sitting and using a raised toilet seat.
It depends on the design of the seat. If you can adjust the height, try that. Another option is to experiment with s a bit forward so you can separate your legs a little. I think we all struggled with adjusting to the raised seat initially; it's trial and error (unfortunately, the "error" is a bit messy :heehee: )!
 
@benne68 Thank you! It is getting better. I think I l just wasn't relaxing enough when I sat. As you said, getting a lot more error :) :-) (:
@Layla Thank you! I did expect to struggle. I've been housebound and hardly walking and I don't have a good leg. I've been unable to lift either foot far off the ground for sometime. I'm impressed with the operated legs ability to take the main strain if I need it to. I'm a bit exhausted from lack of sleep although I am napping. I'm giving myself grace to take it very, very easy. l do think I'll try and get a few more steps in tomorrow between bathroom trips but only a few. I take tiny baby steps to the bathroom and back but it takes 10 minutes. I'm better with crutches but I've felt a bit too weak for them since getting home. I'm not down about it. It's going to be a bit longer for me, I knew that :alarm:
 
Good morning!!
Even though it's night time for you :loveshwr:
I'm getting longer naps and with a lot more energy there's a bit of improvement. I'm actually very stable stood still and bearing weight on the operation side. I may be very slightly quicker than yesterday.
This is absolutely amazing. I was having some serious pain at this point with zero energy and the fact that you can weight bear is brilliant.

I didn't use a raised toilet seat but the idea to lower it sounds like a good one and how about some towels on the floor hehe. You've got to do what you've got to do lol.

What are those cheeky pets up to? Have they settled down?

Ash xx
 
@myglasshalffull Thanks for the encouragement :flwrysmile: I've managed a bit better with the seat this afternoon and the bathroom trips have slowed down a little. So much so I had to make the effort to stand up in-between trips once. I'm feeling, I've got a little more energy too.
 
Layla’s toilet tips are good. You’ll want to try and spread your legs out as much as possible. If the arms prevent you from both sitting all the way back and spreading your legs, try the footstool to get a better angle on the dangle. Let me know if this doesn’t work. I have another idea, but it’s a bit more graphic. :heehee:
 
Hi Ash :wave: Dry legs and floor at last. I just wasn't actually sitting down. Kind of all tense and holding myself up. No wonder it was going everywhere. Finally, I just sat and relaxed and everything went down the shoot :yahoo: I'm good to go if I just stand still for ever! I can do heel toe on it without pain a lot of the time and I suspect could walk quite well if my other leg was behaving. Bonkers really, the operated leg is sore around the incision a bit and does hurt when my pain medication wears off. I wonder if it hurts more than I realise but the pain and discomfort in my right leg overshadows it a bit. The exhaustion and medication related haze is the worse bit. I'm going to see if I can cut down the meds s bit tomorrow. I can always up them again if I start hurting a lot. I get more pain at rest or after a bathroom trip, not really when I'm walking. Perhaps anybody would be able to weight bear if they could only take tiny steps. Maybe I haven't had breakthrough pain yet, not sure really. As for the pets they are still being idiots. Every time the dog comes in from outside, I have to hold my walking stick Infront of me and shout, No! The cat creeps around trying to find another untried angle of attack. The cat could sit on me but if the dog sees she'll go mad :tantrum2:

Thanks for cheering me on xxx
 
Am so happy that the potty situation has sorted itself out!! There's a bit of trial and error isn't there. Your pets are making me laugh. They sound like a couple of little characters. Hope you are settling in for a restful night. You are doing amazing.
 
I did not use a raised toilet seat either. I put my walker in front of me in case I needed something to raise myself up.
 
Thanks @wingy I'm getting there. I'm doing as you suggested

Hi Ash :wave: When I do my bedtime injection, I imagine it's my husband. Enough said :banghead:

Joking but honestly, I'm thinking next time I'm going to ask if they can sedate him. I get it, they care, they're stressed too. He's only stressed because he loves me and he's worried. I hope you were up for a rant :loll:
On a more calm and serious note, anyone reading beware. Sometimes they just don't get how bad it will be. I tried telling him, typical bloke, knew better. The week before my op all he could talk about was the 79 year old lady who was back at work a week later. I told him that was an unlikely story but someone who should have known better told him a story about his mother. (There's a helpful thread somewhere on tall stories.)
Good job I'm an experienced grown up.

Had a call from the hospital they're happy with my progress. I'm feeling much more human. Reduced to 1 Codine at med time. No more morphine. My version of walk is a tiny step when I'm full of energy and a shuffle when I'm exhausted. I'm only doing bathroom and back, it's a fair walk. I did manage the kitchen door and back yesterday. My goal today is a couple of steps between bathroom breaks. The nurse this morning was more than happy with that. My non operated leg is still troublesome. I think I need to maybe do a little physio on that. Honestly can't be bothered today... I'll plan it today though for tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
I'm only doing bathroom and back, it's a fair walk. I did manage the kitchen door and back yesterday.
That's plenty! You are less than a week into recovery. Walks to/from the bathroom are really all you need at this point. You will do more when you are stronger.

My surgeon told me that my only job the first two weeks was to rest and recover.

:flwrysmile:
 
Your husbands anxiety will fade. You'll settle into a routine, it's likely you already have, even though it's constantly evolving, and the weeks do start clicking on by. One week post op was my first goal, lol, and you're almost there! You seem to be managing pain well and taking all in stride. Hopefully through your relaxed approach, he'll slowly decompress. :wink:

I think it's difficult for many to see their loved ones in a vulnerable position. I recall when my dad had his first THR at age 74, after they wheeled him into his room and I saw him for the first time from the doorway, I became emotional and my eyes welled with tears only because I'd never seen my dad in a hospital setting. I had to turn and walk away to collect myself as I didn't want him to see me like that. I surprised myself, but as my big strong protector growing up, it was a bit shocking to see him in that bed in a hospital gown.

So hubs may be having difficulty if he knows you're in pain, watching you walk, worrying about whether you'll fall etc. Give him another week and I'll bet he'll be ready to fly the coop. One thing I found important was to have my hubs set me up so he could get out of our home for a breather. I'd go to the bathroom, make sure I had everything I needed within reach and tell him to leave for an hour or two to recharge. Seemed to work like a charm. Consider it when you feel confident that the time is right for you and him.
I hope you're having a good day and wish you a peaceful evening. :friends:
@Deni444
 
@benne68 Thanks for the reminder!
I've read this so many times and understand but today I was beginning to think, should I be doing more? I do find I have a little more energy and I'm now pottering around in the bathroom on most trips. Nothing strenuous, just spotting things I can grab with my grabber. Taking an extra opportunity to wash my face. It's a small bathroom. I'm very comfortable stood up and it's nice to feel a little bit normal for a moment or two. The walk back takes the energy left but then I'm ready for my recliner until the next go. I'm not in any pain after just maybe a couple of minor zingers... Thanks to Bonesmart, not worried about those.

The strangest thing, my new hip just feels like my old hip. Remember, I didn't really experience pain in the hip region. My issue was always stiffness and referred pain in my leg generally. I haven't experienced the agonizing cramping but maybe I haven't walked far enough for that. I do hope that's gone for good or else I'm getting a refund. I'm beginning to think it was a con and they didn't give me a new hip :SUNsmile:

P.s... I am taking pain meds... My team has an avoid pain process for medicating. It's working! I am considering dropping the Codine tomorrow as a trial. I'm taking one alongside 2 paracetamol currently. I'll try just paracetamol. First sign of pain, I can always take the Codine and then revert back to current schedule.
 
Last edited:
@Layla I needed that! Thanks for your wise counsel :flwrysmile:
 
@benne68 There's a dressing and a bruise. It is a bit painful if I knock it but I've had worse. Jury is out :loll:
My only other surgery experience is bilateral bunion. Maybe I thought this was going to be that painful. It's a relief!
 
@Deni444 Those poor, sweet spouses. I think the big problem is they sometimes just feel so helpless to help us. We patients are not always at our best, either. It will get better. He needs a break out of the house, even a small one to see that you truly are okay on your own for bits of time. You both get more confidence that way. I know when my hubby went back to work after two weeks, we both had trepidation. But at the end of the day, we had both survived and actually thrived at our independence. I just promised him I would always take my phone with me "just in case." Like it was said above, it just continues to evolve. Blessings for continued good progress and healing.
 
Good morning!!

You are doing absolutely amazing!! :roseshwr:

You’ve probably always been a source of strength and your poor hubby is at a loss on how to help but just being there for us is usually all we need.

I can't believe how well you are doing and it's not even been a week. Keep up the great work :loveshwr:

@Layla
What you said below about your dad really resonated with me as I have been in a similar situation.
but as my big strong protector growing up, it was a bit shocking to see him in that bed in a hospital gown.

Ash xx
 
Hi Ash :flwrysmile:

Thanks for all your cheering from the sidelines, it really means a lot! You're completely right, yes. I'm usually the steady rock and he's the engine.
 
Surgery and Hospital Experience
(left total hip replacement - posterior/cemented)


I was very anxious and put off surgery for 3 years. I thought I'd create this post in the hope it may help others who are nervous. A trip to the dentist is much worse, in my humble, slightly dentist phobic opinion!

Things that were better than expected:

  1. Hospital admission. Calm, easy, compassionate, efficient
  2. Spinal anesthetic. Very quickly administered and pain free. The worse bit was the cold spray to numb me before the needle
  3. Sedation. Didn't even realise they'd given it. I fell asleep more gradually than a GA. I was able to opt for different levels of sedation, I went for sleeping
  4. Waking up. It felt exactly like waking up in bed. I was alert and clear headed, chatty and pain free apart from a stiff shoulder. They lay you on your side during surgery. I had a lucid conversation with them about improving the table to allow a space for the shoulder as they prepped to wheel me to the recovery room
  5. Recovery room. Lovely relaxing area. Nurse sat beside my head with a monitor. They put a warming blanket on me as I started to shiver. That's normal as the medication drops off. I was there for 20 minutes whilst the nurse monitored my status.
  6. Return to my room. They wheeled me to my room where I was pleased to see my husband and his face lit up as he saw I was OK. I was completely pain free and relaxed although beginning to feel rather exhausted. Probably from all the chatting in recovery.
  7. Medication. I was throughout my experience pretty much pain free. It's part of what they call Enhanced Recovery. The philosophy is that patients recover faster, more successfully and with less stress, if they are up and moving quickly. The first thing the nurse said to me back in my room was that the moment I get even the mildest ache in my leg, I was to request medication. She explained it was important for my recovery to be pain free. I remained pain free in this manner.
  8. Standing/Walking. It took my legs a while to wake up but eventually in the night they got me out of bed. I'm experienced at shuffling on my arms and have good upper body strength. I found getting to the edge of the bed fairly easy. They sat me at the edge of the bed, feet on the floor, walker in front of me. My legs, felt like they always do, stiff, but otherwise pain free. The coached me to stretch the operation leg out a little way. My non operated leg against the bed. I was to use my non operated leg to stand, gradually bringing my operation leg to a standing position. I had one hand on the bed behind me and one hand on my walker. I couldn't do it. Not because of my operated leg, that felt great. My non operated leg (needs replacing too) didn't have the strength and was painful (despite all the meds). I suggested they must pass me my walking stick so I could use it on my operation side so I could support my non operated leg. They confirmed at this stage that I could put as much weight on my operation leg as I could stand and I wouldn't hurt it. So from the very first stand up my new hip was called into action and it was fantastic. I stood up reasonably easily, without pain or discomfort in my operated leg. My non operated leg was stiff, awkward and my knee hurt when I put weight on it. Due to chronic, long-term mobility issues, I can't lift my feet up much. That obviously doesn't get magically fixed, it will take time. My new hip could walk very well but the legs are letting it down. Walking was a big challenge, not because of pain or instability in the new hip but stiffness and my non operated leg being in poor condition.

Things that I didn't expect or were less positive

  1. Bed pan experience. Never the nicest experience but due to my limited mobility in my non operated leg, positioning me was challenging. They didn't get it right. It went all over the bed. This actually turned into a positive. They ended up moving me in all kinds of positions and I ended up using a monkey pulley to help. I was horrified they'd dislocate my new hip! They explained, it's much more robustly cemented in than I imaged. This gave me a lot of confidence later when it came to trusting it.
  2. Sleeplessness. You hear about it all the time, reading recovery stories but I wasn't expecting to experience it in this particular way. I had anticipated not being able to sleep because of pain or discomfort. Not the case at all, I simply couldn't sleep. I was extremely comfortable and pain free. I was exhausted and wanted to sleep. Sleep just wouldn't happen. Not even a nap until the early hours of the morning after surgery. Then only half an hour.
  3. Exhaustion. Despite being pain free and comfortable, relentless sleeplessness made me exhausted. I was in hospital overnight and when I left late afternoon the day after surgery, I think I'd only had about 2 hours of broken sleep. Still otherwise pain free.
  4. Medication. The medication included opioids. These have common side effects including nausea, constipation, confusion, emotional instability, sleeplessness, irritability, blurred vision... Although pain free and otherwise comfortable, I was exhausted and feeling tearful at the slightest thing.
  5. Walking. Despite a wonderful hip outcome (see above) my leg mobility is chronically bad. Let's see what happens next over my continued recovery!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom