THR Left hip replaced and going to feel terrific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Merry, Sorry to read you are having a few issues, do you mean your other hip is playing up? Hugs from OZ
 
Ya know Poppet..just not sure it is the hip. I have quite a progressive case of arthritis in my lower back (spine) and I just started getting parasthesia in the leg (not the replaced one). From the symptoms it seems to me like my back but I have also just started getting symptoms of groin and buttock pain (better word is warnings) like I did with the other hip..I have to imagine that the back is connected somehow and just wonder how many people have back issues that refer to the hip.
I am seeing a spine specialist that is in the same practice as my surgeon so between them they can figure it out.
 
A question about using a cane on the "wrong side". kneesrus or alexthecat

I need to have more surgery on my left hand. But, I am probably looking at a RHR in the near future. So, what happens if you use a cane on the side of the surgery. I used a platform walker because of my hands for my prior replacements but cannot see using it for as long as I have to use a walking aid post operatively. I am a very slow healer, (my OS statement, not mine) so this concerns me. Mobility is a big concern, especially doing it safely. Since my hand involves a compressed nerve, it is something that needs to be done as my muscles have atrophied.So what would happen if I used, for instance, a cane in my right hand for a RHR?
Anyone ever feel that arthritis sucks?
 
With the cane in the "wrong" hand, your gait is less natural and you are less stable. However, if that's what you have to do, it's not the end of the world. I see people every day with their cane in the "wrong" hand and they don't know any better. It's not ideal, but it's not that tragic, IMO. Just be aware that you're not as stable walking that way. Good luck with your surgeries!
 
Makes sense..This is all elective..meaning not life and death..I need to be able to have the correct info to manage my care. The OS is concerned about the hip..the hand surgeon the hand..and Merry just wants to do the best for Merry. Appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. Helps me be a better advocate for myself.
 
Is your right hand feeling okay? How about your right elbow and shoulder and your back? They bear some strain from using the cane on the "wrong" side.
 
My right hand is nearly two years out from a CMC replacement..but the left hand has total disintegration of the TFCC, nerve compression (guyons or cubital) and severe arthritis in the wrist. I am just over a year from a CMC replacement in that hand. And since I had my bilateral revision just 3 months after the left CMC replacement, it was way too early which I knew but I had to have the revision as I could not walk. The shoulder has arthritis (wrong side) but not as severe as the left..I really do not think I could handle supporting myself with my left side. A real issue for those of us with arthritis in various joints. Thanks for asking..It got me thinking how much better the right side is than the left. Body awareness..Oh so hard to deal with.
 
What I'm worried about is whether using the cane "wrong" would be too hard on your right hand and arm. You know your body best though and, honestly, the first month or two after THR you don't need to be walking a lot. Short strolls in your house and maybe venturing outside once in a while are fine.
 
Yup..I am sure to trash that one. And would you believe that I write and teach online for a living so that is why I am especially concerned. Dragon here I come!! I was in rehab for the one hiip for 3 weeks so got a good head start for my home. I am alone so do not want to be considered a fall hazard.
If I dont get the nerve compression fixed, I think I will be in more trouble. The TFCC and wrist arthritis can just stay where they are.
The funny thing is that I never realized how bad they were til I started weaning off the Dilaudid. Now on a very minimal dose..all the other joints start screaming. So much more aware of how the entire body is so integrated.
Thank you so much for helping me be so aware of things I hadn't thought about. You have been a great help.
 
I can so relate to "all other joints start screaming"... Just popped by to say hello x
 
A question for you women..I need to have urological surgery necessitating that I be in the lithotomy position for several hours. Hip replacement will be 8 months out but I am still on meds and have trouble walking without pain. OS says I am a very slow healer..Yeah..I know that now. Josephine. Should there be any contradictions or do I ask them to support the hip. Sent an email to OS but like getting my GOOD info here. Thanks all for your continuing great advice.
 
You need to have your legs inside the poles or, if they are using Lloyd Davis stirrups, then not putting your legs too wide apart. You need to tell your uro surgeon and anyone in the OR you get to talk to, anaesthetists and so one, that you need special care to be take of your hip in case it dislocates. Not that this is likely but it's the best way I know of scaring the bejeebers out of them so they take notice! :snork: On the other hand, it's not totally unknown for people with THRs to end up in stirrups for bladder or gynae surgery so with any luck they shouldn't be totally ignorant of your care.
 
Good luck Merry Knitter4444... You are having such a tough trot... I can relate to the hand issue.. I have just over ten months of keyboard and mouse work and then hopefully my right hand will get a rest.. At the moment I can't hold a cup or a glass in that hand, have to use two hands, severe OA in the wrist on the x-ray and a hairline fracture... Take care my good friend with the Aussie connection xxx
 
So I am throwing out a question to the medical pros out there..or people with experience. Josephine, Poppet
I would bet that many of us with knee and hip replacements have arthritis in other parts of their bodies. I have gone from knees to hips to shoulders to back to thumbs to wrist. All in 3 years. Well, the knees were bad for years but I had no signs of arthritis anywhere else. Then I felt like I have been attacked. Its osteo..sed rate elevated..wonder why? and also elevated fibrinogen which is related sometimes to the sed rate.
But, I have had leg cramps for many years..really bad and what I have gotten is ..lots of people get them, we have checked your blood levels..everything is ok..So yesterday, I decided that I am not going to take a back seat..(I can be a doctor's nightmare) and I need to see what is causing these cramps which as many of you know, are so painful..now it is in my feet so I am a fall risk which scares me living alone.
Somewhere deep down, I just had a feeling that this was not just the cramps that you don't address..
I take Crestor. It is one of the more powerful statins. Family history with high cholesterol. With PCP's permission I decided to take 1/2 of the prescribed dose..just 5 mg a day and my blood work is better than when I was taking 10mg. Still getting the cramps but mostly in feet and not as much in the thigh..and only at night. Then I looked up Crestor..Of course I knew about the serious side effects that the rare person gets from statins..and I am not in that class..but cramps is one of side effects. Can I trace it back to when I started taking it. Probably.
I bring this up for a reason. People on here have talked about leg cramps..Many of us take statins..There are side effects as there are with any medicine. Instead of hearing, yeah, lots of people have them..leg cramps, muscle weakness and other side effects that can be very very dangerous. I am not in that class for sure..but I made an appt with the cardiologist to have a long chat with him this week. And since he is also a pharmacist, he is my go to person. And there are links on the web (and I have no idea how accurate they are) that there may be a link to arthritis for those taking statins. I feel like my body is being attacked. I cannot sit back and not advocate for myself and see if i can find an answer.

Sharing because where else would I go? Curious whether anyone else can relate.
 
I take Crestor. It is one of the more powerful statins. Family history with high cholesterol. With PCP's permission I decided to take ½ of the prescribed dose..just 5 mg a day and my blood work is better than when I was taking 10mg.
Statins do indeed cause joint pains and was the reason I have refused to take them. My cholesterol levels are okay but when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was told it was routine to put patients on statins as the risk for stroke and heart attack was increased. After ONE week, I was in so much pain I could hardly stand at the sink to do the washing up much less do general cleaning and etc. I decided the theoretical risk of MI wasn't worth this and refused to take them any more. My GP just shrugged her shoulders and said it was fine by her and my decision! :shrug: Within days of stopping them I was fine again! I also have a sister several years older than me, also T2D , who did the same.

I consider that if my cholesterol was elevated I might think differently but until then, I ain't going nowhere near those things!
 
Very elevated cholesterol and very controlled with Crestor and a family history of high cholesterol. BUT..I have been screaming that I feel like my body is being attacked for years. And I think now I know. Off to pharmacologist/cardiologist who kept my mom alive for 11 extra years with his good care and intervention. I shudder to think about what we are going to be reading about these drugs years from now. As you know, there is a very serious and sometimes fatal side effect called rhabdomyolysis . I am sure that it is not my problem but for others here, we need to be aware of what is arthritis and what is muscle pain. I just assumed that it was another joint with arthritis (it is) but now I want to research the connection of statins and arthritis.
 
A medical issue for Josephine or anyone who can answer. I still have an unoperated appendage (big WOW) but that hip is giving me trouble. OS suspects may have labral tear but I also have arthritis on that hip. Since I cannot have an MRA (MRI with contrast) would the tear show up without a contrast injection? It certainly did in my shoulder. Is the hip that different when it comes to imaging. No way am I having 2 surgeries on that hip and if it is a tear, and surgery is indicated, do you just have it all done at the same time?
When you have an arthroplasty (hip) is the labrum removed? I goggled this for a long time and could only find out arthroscopic related articles.
Thanks to anyone that can respond.
 
I think Jo is going to be the best person to address your questions....she should be online soon and see your tag.
 
Since I cannot have an MRA (MRI with contrast) would the tear show up without a contrast injection?
What makes you think you can't have an MRI in that hip? It's not a problem.
Is the hip that different when it comes to imaging.
Not at all.
When you have an arthroplasty (hip) is the labrum removed?
Of course it is! The acetabulum is reamed out with things that look like cheese graters and takes everything away! So the issue of the labral tear is irrelevant if a THR is warranted.

[Bonesmart.org] Left hip replaced and going to feel terrific
 
Josephine. I can have an MRI but not an MRA (angiogram). If there is a tear and I don't have enough lost cartilege to warrant a hip replacement.do they just repair the tear or leave it hopefully for later when I do need the replacement. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom