THR Left hip replaced and going to feel terrific

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question and hope that @Josephine will put up her pain chart for me. I had left hip replacement jan 2013 and though healing slowly started having stability problems, pain and just that feeling of something not right. Have had xrays 10/13 and in Feb 2014 and everything looks fine. But I am now in quite a bit of pain.. Had to increase pain meds and walking with a more pronounced limp and leaning to right side away from hurting hip. OS thought it might be back because of severe lumbar arthritis and I had epidurals which didn't help. Pain follows groin line. Hurts to lie on that side so I am thinking bursitis. Pretty miserable and I am headed for 1 of 2 hand surgeries on april 25th. Anyone else feel like they are going backwards? Heating pad is my best friend. Any ideas? Isn't warm or swollen .

Merry
 
Hi! Merry, so sorry you're having problems. Here is Josephine's chart so you can give her the coordinates before she's back online.

Can you tell me the location of this pain using this chart?
Each square needs a double reference like so BR1 and say if it's front or back..

[Bonesmart.org] Left hip replaced and going to feel terrific

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
 
Thx so much. Is there a chart for the hip? My BTKRs are behind me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
  • Funny
Reactions: IMs
I'll tag @bottomshollow for you.

So sorry to hear you are having problems and hand surgery coming up.

Hopefully @Josephine will look at the hip chart and offer you some of her insight
 
I had to drop out for a while. Just too much pain after I fell in May. Embarrassing as I couldnt get up as I can't put pressure on knees so had to call 911.
Hip replaced 01/13.By Oct 2013 I went to OS, crying.. unlike me. he took xrays.. everything perfect. suspected back issue..have severe degenerative disk disease and had bursitis in that hip. BTW.that really hurts. OS, sent me to physiatrist.. ended up with epidurals in back.
been on opiates since BTKR since 2010 and PCP thinks I will be on them forever because of the severe arthritis all over.
but now.. my hip hurts worse than it did before surgery. I am living in Oregon now.OS who did surgery ordered
xrays before I fly back to see him and I have the images and report. He doesn't have them yet.
no fractures thank goodness.. nothing out of place. there are advantages to being fat. lots of cushion.

only thing that shows in report is sclerosis of the inferior aspects of both sacrouliac joints. left greater than right.
would that create so much pain. Talking pain that disturbs sleep. .mobility.. and lifestyle. I can only walk in house. Cant even walk a block.
my right hip is bad but can't do anything til my left side is resolved.
anyone have sclerosis where it has affected your hip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
looking for hip OS in the Portland OR area. anyone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Knitter4444 IF you have Kaiser insurance I can recommend a hip surgeon - I had my BTHR done by Dr Thomas Toal at Kaiser. He's terrific (sort of gets backed up when asked questions but once I explained to him about being an informed patient and wanting to stay that way, he was very accommodating to answering my questions) - however he only treats patients who have the Kaiser insurance. You'd need to ask your primary care doctor to refer you to orthopedic surgery and specify Dr Toal - there are at least 3 other hip surgeons at Kaiser in the Portland area who, I've heard, are also very good .... but I do not personally know much about them. Alas i don't know of other non-Kaiser surgeons in Portland :( You can try the find a surgeon function here on BoneSmart (AKA Find a clinic - at the top of the page in the blue border) .... perhaps that will help.
 
Hoping that Jo or another hip expert can explain the sclerosis of the sacroiliac joints. Oh such joy to have this issue..NOT. Just so confused why it never showed up on the zillions of other xrays..most recently Feb 2014 when it did not show up and yesterday it did.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sclerosis of the sacroiliac joints
This is a form of arthritis couple with a fusion. The bone becomes hard like porcelain and loses the articular cartilage. I'll bet it's been there all the time but no-one noticed if before. This condition can take years to develop.
 
You need a spinal fusion which is done with screws. It's a routine procedure done by either an orthopaedic spinal surgeon or a neurosurgeon.

[Bonesmart.org] Left hip replaced and going to feel terrific
 
you have pieced it all together for me Jo. I have already seen the head of neurosurgery at Stanford who was hoping to put off a spinal fusion because there are so many places to fuse. My right hip needs replacing but can't entertain it obviously. OS just ordered a bone scan so will go from there. Thanks once again for shouting across the ocean and being there for me. Very grateful.
 
So sorry to hear you are in pain Merry - not fair xxx
 
Thanks Poppet..I think if we knew what was causing the pain it could be fixed. Can you fix old age?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom