Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

Wow, you are amazing! I had no idea you'd be doing this well so soon. You have worked hard to get there and it's paying off for you! Have a blessed Christmas and don't forget our New Year's Eve party. Be sure and drop by and say hi.
 
Hello and Happy New Year!
How is it going, WFD?
I hope you had a nice holiday season. Let us know how you're doing when you have time. Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@WFD
 
Hi @Layla ,

Thanks for checking in. Things are going well. I continue to work out and get stronger, and am planning to return to kayak racing in the spring when everything thaws out.

Dealing with icy driveways etc. is a challenge with a prosthetic leg, because balance is more challenging without control over my left knee and ankle, but I am managing. Yesterday I managed to haul the empty trash barrels uphill on the icy driveway with the aid of spikes on my boots. The hardest part is getting boots on and off my prosthetic leg - I had to have a cobbler add a big heavy-duty zipper to the inside of my left boot. It's kind of expensive but well worth it if you have trouble getting boots on and off. A bootjack and heavy duty shoehorn are helpful.

In less than two weeks we will be picking up a new dog, a rescue border collie / australian shepherd mix coming up from Tennessee. She is 11 months old and will be quite a handful - I'll have to be out in the snow multipe times a day to walk her. Our old dog will be 14 this summer and has retired from squirrel-chasing duties so we need a new dog to protect the garden. Plus a young dog will be fun. My wife enjoys really long walks (8+ miles a day when the weather is nice) and our old dog can't keep up with her.

I hope all is well with everyone here.

Best,

WFD
 
Wow, kayak racing! That's great, @WFD. My husband and I used to kayak in Long Island sound when we were younger. No racing, just island to island paddling. Great exercise, but it does take lots of upper body strength.
So glad to read you are getting back to the things you enjoy.

Your new pup does sound like a handful. But those breeds are so smart, I'm sure it will be great!

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.
 
You never cease to amaze! I wish you the best as you return to kayak racing. You'll have to let us know how that goes. Your thread will be a wealth of knowledge given your experience facing and overcoming great challenges, WFD. I don't know where you get the courage to navigate the icy driveway. That is something I avoid at all costs. We have a bit of an incline also, so like a wimp I leave that trash hauling chore to hubby. Thankfully you're finding solutions for some of the difficulties you've faced, such as the heavy duty zipper inside your boot to make it easier for you. :yes!:

A new furry friend to love is something fun for you and your wife to look forward to. I love dogs, they're the best! Thanks for the update, following your progress is a highlight here. Until next time, wishing you all things good!
@WFD
 
It’s so great to hear from you and read the details of how you’re adapting to your prosthetic leg. I marvel at your ability to think through any problems that pop up.

I didn’t even know there WERE cobblers still left in this world. Your boot solution will be helpful for others for sure. As for dealing with ice, I think anyone, no matter what their physical situation, should use ice cleats in winter. Falling on the ice is so dangerous and it can happen to anyone in an instant. The cleats work perfectly for everyone and I can certainly see how they would offer more control and stability for you. I’ve used them for years.

A new pup will definitely brighten and challenge your life. How exciting! I know she will be thrilled to join a forever family, That mix sounds like she’ll be a smart dog and I bet she will learn quickly how to fit in with you. You’ll have to share some photos of her bounding through the snow. Dogs are so fun with their snow romps.

Your recovery has brought all of us here such joy as we’ve watched you overcome so many challenges and emerge successfully on the other side. I know it hasn’t been an easy journey for you by any means. But please know that your story shows there is hope. It proves a positive attitude can help tremendously. And it just plain brings smiles to me every time I read your posts!
 
I didn’t even know there WERE cobblers still left in this world.

Their shops are usually named "...Shoe Repair". There are two in Nashua, NH where I do most of my shopping, and they do a good business. A lot of people with expensive leather boots and coats, etc., getting them repaired instead of throwing them away - an excellent practice in this disposable age we live in now.
 
I love dogs, they're the best!
Yes, absolutely. Cats on the other hand, are evil, as everyone knows, and will sit and stare at you, plotting your demise. They only hold back because they haven't yet figured out how to insert themselves into your will as the sole heir.

:-)
 
It is great to hear from you again, and read of you tackling such challenges that you have!

You are hearing from a cat lover, and they are not evil, just spoiled! As long as they know that you know they're boss, you'll get along just fine!
 
@WFD … I was talking with my therapist today about you and your recovery and she was VERY interested. She has another client who is struggling with an amputation resulting from a knee replacement and she was going to recommend this person register with BoneSmart and search out your thread. I love that this person will be able to read your whole journey over a long period of time so she can see there is hope. Thank you again so much for helping people in this way. :loveshwr:
 
@Jamie , I recommend the following resources for your therapist's client. Perhaps you could forward this to the therapist?

First, the amputee coalition at www.amputee-coalition(dot)org. It is a nonprofit that receives federal funding, is free to join and does not harvest your personal information.

Under 'Find Support' there is 'View Our Guides', '..Fact Sheets', and '...Publications'. These are PDFs with lots of information on everything from prostheses to setting up the house, preparing for and interacting with doctors, prosthetists, travel, dealing with TSA, driving, financial assistance, health insurance, sports and recreation, emotional recovery, and resources for caregivers. Most 'content' on the web is vague to the point of meaninglessness, but these publications are detailed and useful.

Also under 'Find Support', on the left there is 'Request Peer Support'. A Certified Peer Visitor is another amputee, matched as closely as possible to the situation of the client, who can visit and provide advice, support, and encouragement.

All these services are free - your tax dollars (and people's donations) at work.

Second, although there are no amputee forums as extensive as BoneSmart is for knee surgeries, there is a decent one on Reddit at r/amputee. Unlike most subs on Reddit, it is well moderated and the members are very supportive. It does not have the body of accumulated knowledge that BoneSmart does, however. Some of the discussions are very frank and deal with adult issues so if the client is a minor then a parent should definitely be involved.

Also let the therapist that they or their client (or the client's parent if they are a minor) can DM me here at BoneSmart and I would be happy to help in any way I can. If I don't respond (I don't always get an email notification), then perhaps one of the mods/admins could email me at my personal email and tell me to log on, if you guys have access to that.

Amputees are very supportive of each other. Tell your therapist to tell her client I said good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.
 
WFD,
Your willingness to share your experience, being so open about it all, is a blessing for this forum. I do hope that the client of Jamie's PT joins the community, or at the very least reaches out to you for your knowledge and support, which may be especially reassuring for him. I couldn't recommend anyone as generous and honest as you've been in sharing your journey here with all of us. A great rest of the week to you!
@WFD
 
Thank you SO MUCH for those resources. I will definitely pass them on to my therapist.
 
Hello WFD,
Stopping by to say Hi :wave:
I hope you continue to do well and you and your wife have adjusted to your new furry companion...and the pup is following house rules.:wink: Hopefully navigating the snow is going smoothly for you as you walk her.
Stay safe and enjoy the rest of February!
@WFD
 
Thanks, Layla.

I'm doing well, and have had to clear the snow four times already I think. Yesterday's storm was wet snow and that is a real chore to shift. I had the socket on my prosthetic leg adjusted the day before that and now I'm quite sore.

Our new dog Maggie came home on 1/24 the same day that we got a big storm that dropped 18-20". In addition, it has been really cold, with night time temps at zero or below and daytime in the teens. Thankfully it has moderated since then.

Coming up from Tennessee, Maggie was not ready for the cold and the first day or two were a little shocking for her. Pretty quickly she adapted and is now running and jumping in the snow like a maniac.

The vet thinks she is a border collie / australian shepherd mix but we suspect something short- or smooth-haired is in there too. We're going to do a doggy DNA test and find out, just for fun.

Here's a picture of one of her first real outings in the snow. Anyone want to guess her ancestry, give it a try and I'll let you know what the test says when we get it back.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025
 
Aww, Maggie...what a cutie all cozy in her outdoor gear for her romp through the snow. :dogwalk: Thanks for sharing a photo. I'm sorry you're sore after your adjustment. I hope it eases quickly for you.

I am not well versed on dog breeds and since there's no prize involved, I will not even venture a guess, lol.
Will be curious to read about DNA results though and I am always interested in how you're doing, so please stay in touch. I hope you have a great end to the week.
@WFD
 
I'm doing well, and have had to clear the snow four times already I think
You are doing brilliantly. Great pictures of the snow and Maggie. I can't imagine the weather you are having. We are just having a blocked weather front with seemingly endless rain here in London.
 
What an adorable pup! I’m so glad she’s adapted well to the colder weather and snow. She’s going to have a great life and make wonderful memories with you. I can definitely see the Australian Shepherd. Don’t know about the Collie, though. She looks so alert and smart. She’ll keep you hustling to stay on top of her antics, I bet.
 
You are doing so well. And now you have a 'helper." She will give you love and laughter, that is for sure. I absolutely see Australian Shepherd in her head shape and eye coloring. Whatever she is, she's perfect!
 
i agree with the two previous posts, that I see the Australian shepherd. My exhusband had two of them and Maggie looks a lot like them. No matter what she is, she's geogous!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom