Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

Dropping in to see how you're doing?
Spring is only days away. I'm pretty excited about it since we really got dumped on with snow yesterday.
It will be nice to have longer, warmer, sunnier days soon. I hope all is going well with you, WFD and you're looking forward to Spring / Summer also.
Take care!
@WFD
 
Hi @Layla ,

Things are going well. We’ve still got snow on most of the ground and headed for mud season in the next few weeks.

I recently drove down from Massachusetts to Maryland to transport back an outrigger canoe that I intend to train on for racing this season. Now I just need the water temps to get above 40 F…

Also the yard work is going to start up soon so I’ll be pretty busy. Lots of spring and summer projects in the pipeline.

I should be getting a new leg within the next month or so. This will have a microprocessor knee and should be a lot more capable than the hydraulic knee I am currently using.

That’s all for now. I hope all is well with you and the other folks here at Bonesmart.
 
Wow!!! A microprocessor knee! I had to go do some reading about that to see what it involves. This should be wonderful for the active life you're living. It's absolutely amazing technology and it should enable you to better navigate uneven terrain as well as produce a more normal gait. The technology "reads" your movements and ensures the prosthesis responds correctly. Mind boggling. You'll have to report how it works in comparison to your hydraulic knee. Stay warm until Spring finally reaches you.
 
Wow! This was new to me too but it makes sense that new technology would improve and fine tune the body's movements with the prosthesis.
I am impressed by your canoe racing plans- good luck. Keep us posted- we really love to hear from you.
 
Try and send us a video your new 'smart' knee when you get it. It would be so interesting to see it in action. Thank you for keeping us updated.
 
Hahaha…Mud Season! I love it, it's so true.
You're consistently amazing and can make me feel like a slug, lol.
I'm impressed with the way you keep forging ahead and inspired by all you do. I look forward to hearing about your new leg, WFD. Technology can be such a blessing. Anything that makes it easier for you to do the things you do…I'm all for it. Thanks for taking the time to update, I look forward to your posts.
Happy Wednesday!
@WFD
 
Yesterday, I was able to take my new outrigger canoe out on a lake in NH. I only fell in a few times :-). The resistance of the water makes it hard to straighten the prosthetic leg as you pick yourself up, so you just fall in again…

The water temperature was maybe up to 40 F, so I was wearing a dry suit - that is why I look like the Michelin man.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025
 
Oh my….that sounds like work to me! I hope it was enjoyable on some level for you. I know the sense of accomplishment must have been great and I love the photo.

I’m assuming you use a prosthetic that can get wet when you’re in the canoe. And I’m guessing you were paddling in fairly shallow water so that you could stand up if you tipped. I have so much admiration for all you are able to do. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Hope the Easter Bunny was good to you. :yay:
 
Look at you...you happy wanderer! Following you over the last year, especially, has been moving. Nothing seems to slow you down. Your tenacity is inspiring. I love seeing you out there living life and powering forward.
At this point I'm chuckling and thinking what next?

All in all I hope you had fun and you're enjoying a cozy night at home after todays adventure. Thanks for sharing the photo and update, WFD...I love it! :)
@WFD
 
@Jamie , the dry suit is literally dry inside. It’s made of Gore-Tex and has deals at the neck and wrists, and booties over the feet. You literally stay dry inside. I wear long underwear inside the suit. Survival and Exposure suits are similar. It works well for very cold conditions.

I fell only when getting out of the boat in shallow water. Then when i tried to stand up and take a step with the prosthetic leg, the leg would be bent when I thought it would be straight, due to the water resistance, and when I put weight on it, it would buckle and back into the water I would go.

I have a lot to learn.
 
A brilliant report. So glad to hear that you are getting back to what you enjoy. It really goes to show that very little is impossible if we are determined enough. You are an inspiration to us all. Keep these posts coming!
 
Thanks for the explanation, especially of the dry suit. I didn’t realize such a thing existed. Back decades ago when I was into scuba diving, the only protection we had was a wet suit. Your dry sounds much better, even if you do look a bit “puffy” wearing it.

I’m betting you’ll get the hang of everything pretty quickly. It might help to have warmer weather and water temps too. It’s so enjoyable to follow your adventures.
 
Hi WFD,
Thinking of you a couple days after you passed your one year milestone. You've come such a long way over the past year and its been genuinely impressive how you kept moving forward. The progress you've made and the way you've adapted is something to be proud of. I'm proud of you!
Cheers to continued progress and many good things still ahead for you!
@WFD
 
@Layla , thanks for checking in. I’m currently in Oklahoma City, on the last day of a week-long paracanoe training camp, covering sprint kayak and sprint outrigger canoe. I’m pretty tired and sore, and looking forward to the flight home tomorrow. In another month I have another camp and then the trials to see if I can make the US Paracanoe National Team. It’s a stretch but I’m going to give it my best shot.
 
You're putting many of us to shame, I feel like a slug after reading of your escapades. I can imagine why you're tired and sore. I wish you a good night's sleep, safe travels, and some peaceful restorative rest once you settle in at home. We'll be rooting for you as you chase the dream to make the team! Please keep us posted, this is super exciting! :kayak:

@WFD
 
Wow! I too feel like a total slug in comparison. Wish you all the best luck to make the National team.
 
How exciting, @WFD…..I’m hoping you are able to make the national team. Just getting to this point is such an accomplishment.
 
I whine and cry about my little life struggles and look at you! You are absolutely amazing! I'm praying for you to make the team.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom