Guest viewing is limited

Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

How is your walking coming along?

My prosthetist said I was doing well (at least on my first attempt with the new leg). I can walk without aids but my balance and gait is terrible, so I'm using forearm crutches to try to build good habits. I'm also under orders to use crutches or a cane, especially on stairs, for at least the next few weeks.

I hadn't walked at all since February, and before that had my leg fused straight since last July. Before that, between surgeries I could walk some, but had limited RoM resulting in a poor gait.

Because my hips are all messed up, the new leg feels too tall, and every time I take a step with it, I feel like I am pole vaulting. This is caused by tightness and malpositioning of the hips, and physical therapy will help with that.

I've lost a lot of strength, especially in the left hip. My hips are rotated to the left and my shoulders to the right, to compensate. I've got a lot of work to do, but I'll get there.

I do basic workouts in my bedroom, and plan that come the week after this one I will be able to workout in the basement, where I've got a pretty good setup - squat rack, barbells, dumbells, kettlebells, cable machine, exercise bike, and kayak ergometer. Then I'll be able to make some real progress on strength.
 
I can certainly understand your body being 'out of sorts'! With your fortitude and stamina, you will definitely get there! How are those phantom pains? I pray they are diminishing.
 
You're taking your first steps with a brand new prosthetic after months of pain, healing and being off your feet. It is bound to feel strange. That's bravery to me! Wobbly and off balance sounds par at this point, it's all new, you're learning something you're unfamiliar with. Your muscles and brain need time to adjust, but if anyone has the strength and courage, it's you, WFD. We will be here to cheer you on as you rebuild in strength and stamina, you've captured our hearts...we're hooked and here for your comeback! :yes!: :yay:
@WFD
 
How are those phantom pains? I pray they are diminishing.

I seem to be following the same path as most people. It started out pretty bad, but has been gradually decreasing. Now, at almost three months, they are still significant but the intensity has dropped off enough that I can mostly ignore them, except at night when they disrupt my sleep. If it continues to behave like it does for most people, by six months they will be mostly gone.

I'm also participating in a clinical trial that uses trans-cranial stimulation in an attempt to help the brain rewire the nerves that carry the pain sensations, but I don't think it is helping much, or at least any effect it has is hard to separate from the normal decrease over time.

Using a prosthetic leg for the first time seems to be triggering an increase in phantom pain, but in the long term prosthetic use is supposed to decrease the level of phantom pain by helping the brain rewire the pain connections.
 
If it continues to behave like it does for most people, by six months they will be mostly gone.
Prayers to this end. :prayer:
Phantom pains do not feel fair, but what's fair about any of this? Nothing. Still...you're carrying on, surviving,
fighting, determined and you're extremely inspiring.
 
Using a prosthetic leg for the first time seems to be triggering an increase in phantom pain, but in the long term prosthetic use is supposed to decrease the level of phantom pain by helping the brain rewire the pain connections.
I pray this is correct and that you will start to so you can enjoy that new leg.
 
You really are coming along. I'm sure to you it seems as if your moving at a snails pace, but your not. Standing and walking has to bring such a smile to your face. Remember slow and steady and to use your cane or crutch. You'll be rid of it soon enough, but you need not have a fall.

Such wonderful progress you've made. Excellent job.
 
Today I drove for the first time since one year ago exactly, traveling to meet my brother to set up an estate bank account (we are co-executors of my father's estate). Had no problems, though getting in and out of a car with a new prosthetic leg is a bit of a challenge.

With an above-knee prosthesis, sitting for any length of time can be quite uncomfortable, as the socket is rigid and has no give. The car seat, because it is so adjustable, is easily the most comfortable seat around.
 
Well, this is a bonus that the car is comfortable for you. I bet it felt good to be able to drive again. Amazing progress, WFD, but the good news like this is long overdue.
 
How fulfilling that must be after a year of not driving. You continue to make great strides and thankfully the car is comfortable for you. Thanks for sharing these milestones with us, WFD, may there be many more.
Enjoy the weekend!
@WFD
 
So yesterday marked exactly one month since I was fitted with my first prosthetic leg.

I'm now able to wear it all day, though when I take it off at night it's a tremendous relief. For more than two weeks I've been walking without crutches or other aids, at least on smooth surfaces.

My backyard is another matter - tallish grass (we are in the middle of a severe drought and leave it long so it will survive), slopes and divots, all make it challenging for a newbie above-knee amputee. Every time I brave the parts of my yard that slope down (it is very hilly) I end up doing a faceplant :-). It's like learning to ski all over again.

I've only done a few faceplants inside the house. Turns out it's really easy to hook the prosthetic foot under the edge of a rug without realizing it (no feeling in the carbon fiber foot) and go down in a heap. I've learned to be super paranoid about throw rugs and door jambs.

Walking with a prosthetic leg is an amazing amount of work, especially on top of years of deconditioning (1.6X to 1,9X says the literature). I lift weights three times a week, do cardio three other days, and go out to a local walking path when the weather allows (it's in the 90s and the path is not shaded). I'll get there but it may take a year or so, based on other's experience.

I'm able to drive myself everywhere and run errands, so my poor wife does not have to be my chauffeur anymore.

The phantom pain is gradually fading. It's with me most of the time but usually at a nuisance/irritant level and only occasionally flares up enough to disrupt my life (usually for a short while when I first lie down in bed at night).
 
You are amazing! Thank you so much for keeping this thread updated and I hope you continue to see improvement with the phantom pain.

As an aside, I completely agree that appropriate weight training and walking is great for recovery and general health.
 
This seems like a tremendous accomplishment to me after just one month with a new leg that can’t feel anything to help you orient yourself. What a challenge that must be. I think the best thing you’re doing for yourself is taking things slow and working diligently to rebuild muscle strength. I have confident that you’ll continue to see improvements with the coming months. We’re all rootin’ for you!
 
We all did our share of falling when we first were learning... Of course we were a lot closer to the ground back then.

You've come so very far, @WFD and it's such a relief to get your updates. I am looking forward to your next milestones!
 
lift weights three times a week, do cardio three other days, and go out to a local walking path when the weather allows (it's in the 90s and the path is not shaded
That is a brilliant regime given your obstacles.
The phantom pain is gradually fading. It's with me most of the time but usually at a nuisance/irritant level and only occasionally flares up enough to disrupt m
I am so pleased the phantom pain is settling. Hopefully it will disappear as your brain adjusts. I had very troublesome 'floaters' due to vitreous detachment in my eyes a couple of years ago. I was told there was no treatment but my brain would accommodate and filter them out.
Now I don't see them at all. I hope you will have a similar experience.
It is so good to hear how you are getting on.
 
Hi WFD,
As always it's so nice to hear from you.
You're such an inspiration and your post is a reminder of the things we take for granted, like the explanation of the danger of throw rugs for you due to lack of sensation. It's sad to envision you dealing with the falls after all you've endured.

You've come so far in what seems like a relatively short period of time. I'm happy you've regained your independence and encouraged to read that the phantom pain is waning. Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop on your progress.
Wishing you comfort, peace and safety and will look forward to your next update. :)
@WFD
 
@WFD that is an awesome update, you are amazing! Just continue what you're doing, slow and steady. It is so awesome that you are able to get around and regain your independence. Who would have ever thought a car seat would be the most comfortable?

My Father had lost a finger in a work accident when I was very young. I do remember him saying he had had the phantom pain but for the most part it did go away. He would sit and work on his fingernails while watching TV. Us kids would be rolling on the floor laughing and he'd look.up.and be what? We'd all.laugh and imitate him.working on the fingernail that was no longer there. He'd just laugh and say leave me alone!

Please continue to send us updates, its so good to.hear from you.
 
WFD,
Just stopped by to say Hi :wave:
I hope you're doing well as you continue to adjust. I noticed it's been four months and you've come along way. Keep going...your amazing. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@WFD
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom