Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

Hi WFD,
Wondering if you completed the second camp before the trials? So hoping you make the US Paracanoe National Team. :thumb:
Keep us posted. Your journey has been a fascinating one to watch. Here to cheer you on always!
@WFD
 
Hi @Layla ,

I did complete the second camp and raced in the trials. Unfortunately, I did not make the time standard and so did not make the team.

I may have another opportunity. If I go to the nationals at the end of July and post a qualifying time there, I believe that will get me on the team. That will let me go to the worlds in August and an early season World Cup race the following May (which occurs before that year's trials), so I'm aiming at that right now.

Actually, at this very moment, I'm aiming at getting rid of the bad cold I caught on the airplane on Monday during my trip home from the training camp. It's been a while since I had a cold and I forgot how much fun they are.

Thanks for touching base.
 
Sorry to read about your cold, hope it clears soon. And I’m in awe of what you’ve already achieved and we all wish you well with your next adventure be it in July or another time. Please keep us posted.
It’s so inspiring to everyone here on BS.
 
I'm sorry you didn't make the team, hopefully you do well at the nationals and make the team then. Given your drive and determination you're a winner to us no matter what.

Actually, at this very moment, I'm aiming at getting rid of the bad cold I caught on the airplane on Monday during my trip home from the training camp. It's been a while since I had a cold and I forgot how much fun they are.
Hey, I'm coughing, sneezing, blowing and wheezing right along with you. I rarely get colds myself, but this crud has been hanging on for a week now! I've heard of MANY dealing with the same. I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for updating us...always a pleasure. :wave:
 
Summer colds are so hard to get rid of and make you feel so cruddy. I hope you can get rid of it quickly.

You are definitely a winner to every one of us!
 
I’ve got my fingers crossed you’ll be in tip top shape for your next competition and go on to make the team. If anyone deserves this, it’s you! Sorry about the brutal cold. I’ve had a bunch of those “airplane colds” myself over the years and they can be the pits.
 
Stopping by to say Hi :wave: I hope the Summer is going well for you so far. Any new adventures?
Wishing you a safe and happy 4th, WFD.
@WFD
 
Hi @Layla,

Things are going well. I decided not to go to nationals this summer. I wouldn't be able to show a good enough time to make the national team, though I would almost certainly win my event, judging from last year's results. Four days of driving for a single one-minute race is not worth it.

I'll keep training and aim for the team trials next spring.

Best,

WFD
 
Hi WFD,
I'm really glad things are going well for you. I trust you made the best decision for yourself. Your determination and resilience are inspiring and I have no doubt your hard work will pay off. Wishing you the best as you train for next year. Have a happy and safe holiday weekend!
@WFD
 
Hey there, WFD :wave:
I can't believe it's August already. In some ways I'm glad because it means cooler less humid days will be here soon, although I can't say I'm excited about what comes afterward. :snow plough:
Hopefully you're squeezing all you can out of the Summer, but most importantly, I hope you continue to do well.

Happy August, wishing you a month of peace, happiness, and many reasons to smile. :)
@WFD
 
Thanks, @Layla .

I’m doing well, and still paddling. Leaving in a few days for Columbus, GA, to see my son graduate from Ranger School (if all goes well with this last week).

I can’t wait for cooler temperatures. Heat is harder on amputees, because we have less area to radiate heat from, and we expend a lot more energy than two-legged people to do the same activities. I don’t mind winter at all.
 
It's a good to read how well you are doing! But, I agree with you about this hot, humid weather. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I can get so much done with the cooler weather. I can't imagine how much more you suffer in this heat.
 
Thanks for the update!
It's good to know you're doing well...and still paddling. That's some interesting information you shared in regard to heat with amputees. It's understandable you are looking forward to cooler temperatures.
I can tolerate Winter when it's not extreme cold. Although I do worry about slipping on ice and falling.

Safe travels to Georgia to attend your son's graduation. I know you'll enjoy the family time, WFD.
Stay in touch!
@WFD
 
Congratulations on your son’s accomplishment with the Ranger training. This is no small feat, as I’m sure you know. My Dad was a career Air Force officer and I worked 30 years as a civilian for the Marine Corps and have the utmost respect for the people who volunteer to protect our country. I know you must be so proud.
 
Thanks, @Jamie . Ranger School graduation was off the scale impressive, with demonstrations involving helicopter operations and not-so-simulated explosions. We had a great time. My son is recovering now. Full recovery will take a while - he lost over 30 lbs in 9 weeks, and he was lean to start with.
 
That certainly was an exciting and memorable graduation. Sounds like some impressive entertainment with helicopters and explosions. Glad you enjoyed it, WFD. No small feat for your son either...losing 30 lbs in just nine weeks shows how demanding the experience was. You must be very proud of him.
Congrats to WFD Jr. on such a great accomplishment!
@WFD
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom