THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Dougie, do so happy for you. Glad you got through the fundraising and able to be there for your wife to help.
I go for 6 month check up today but I expect all is great as, like yourself, there is minor issues...nothing that keeps me from my life.
Yay, for you. Wishing you all the best.
 
Hi @dougie0216
You sound great! It's too bad your wife needs to deal with her shoulder again.
Hope you enjoy "dressing her funny", she'll be like your own personal Barbie doll.
Maybe you can find her an ugly Christmas sweater and enter her photo into
one of those "Ugliest Christmas Sweater" contests. Did you ever see how hideous some of those sweaters are?! Lol
Your update was awesome to read. Keep it up!
 
Hello Hippies! Weekly check-in time.
I am just revelling in how few pills I have to take these days. One NSAID, one Aspirin, a multivitamin and one glucosamine.

I have been doing all my PT exercises 3-times per week. I have gone up to the Blue resistance band for the legs. Two sets with a blue band, oh yeah!

I can now ride a sufficient distance on my bicycle to have riding buddies again. We are going to kill-it Sunday am at 0800.

I misread my GPS last weekend, I actually rode a mile further than I thought. Going up another 3mi/5K this weekend. We are going 30K, with a total climb of a couple hundred meters. Of course, that means an equal amount of downhill because it is an out and back route. I am going to treat it as a race day. Up at 0500, eat carbs and hydrate. The guy I'm riding with is 20-years my junior. It's going to hurt:thumb:.
 
Good luck...try not to wear out that new hip before the end of the year.
I'll be so mad if you mess it up...:tantrum2:

Happy you are back to riding...but you know I'm a worry wart. Hope the day goes splendidly.
 
Great update....you're doing fab.....no surprise though.
Plz be careful! Injured and on the sidelines = unhappy Dougie
Good luck and a great weekend to you!
@dougie0216
 
@Mojo333 Not to worry, my little grey haired mother prays for me daily. I feel great. The route we are riding is on U.S. Parks and Wildlife property so there is a wide shoulder for bikes and a speed limit of 45mph for cars. It doesn't get much safer than that. Although there are wild Bison and Longhorns...

@Layla I have to go for all the gusto before another part wears out.
 
Sounds beautiful. Hope all went well. It's 62F for high today só ím freezing already. Seems rubbing on my incision sites annoy me...dönt like winter clothes.
Make me feel claustrophobic.
 
@Mojo333 Roger the clothes rubbing on the incision site. I mostly wear my shirttails out for that very reason. I was conscious of material rubbing that area on my ride. It wasn't my bibs, so much as the jacket I was wearing that had items in the pocket. All bent over riding into the wind, my pocket was rubbing the incision area. Losing the jacket wasn't an option. It was around 55F, wind out of the NE at 15-25 with higher gusts and it was spitting rain. My jacket was staying on, thank you. My gloves were wet. Heck, I was wet. It took two-hours and a nap to get my hands to warm back up. I have heavier gloves, but chose to go with the lighter pair. It would have worked except for the precip.

The ride was great, no problema with 19mi/31km or 600 feet of climbs. However, my membership in the ODIC is written in stone. I was the only cyclist I saw that day. Also, no other riders using Strava rode that route. I not only had the top time, I had the only time... My riding buddy begged off because he had a relative show up unexpectedly. I drove by his house and there was a strange pickup in his driveway with an out of state tag, so he was probably telling the truth.

I guess I am now officially Hard Core, man! The weather was actually awesome. I was riding up hill, into the wind, cursing because I needed a lower gear. It was blowing so hard, my speed at the bottom of the big hill was 10mph slower than when I rode it two weeks before. I'm thinking riding 25 miles on a calmer day wont be a problem.

What is even neater, is that I am not sore. Finally, back in shape! Now if I could just get rid of that 10# I put on after surgery:umm:
 
At that rate the 10 lbs will fall off quickly. You're an animal @dougie0216 !!
Amazing recovery and progress...back at life doing the things you love.....success!
Hey, ever think of taping gauze or a padded bandage over your incision when you ride? May help?
Best wishes for a great week!
 
Amazing. I too am gaining weight. Might be hard to be very disciplined with the holidays. I know my legs and hips will like it better if I take off about ten that I gained.
Like to say it's metal hips and muscle:heehee:
 
@Layla It really isn't the incision, it is the area surrounding it. Some days there's is no problem. Other days after wearing work attire, it gets uncomfortable in the mid afternoon. After all the tape and island dressings after surgery I don't care to ever put tape there again. First I'd have to shave...

@Mojo333 The Cyborg!

@Gone again Yeah! Go get 'em. I really am not a 'don't ' or 'can't ' kind of dude. It doesn't hurt, the OS said it is structurally sound and I had to interrupt training because of pasin, surgery and as little more pain afterwards. It's go time. I go up an age division in nine months, I want to make a splash:biking:
 
@cpollock Hey Cheryl. Here I am watching hockey on tv and it was over 20C outside today.

I committed to a race next year as soon as I had a surgery date. I figured I would walk again so I set a loftier goal. It is manageable, it gives me something to look forward to and work towards. I used to be a distance runner so we are just different. I like goals, they give life order and discipline. Training is so Zen.
It's hard to explain, but when you exert yourself for a long period while regulating your breathing and managing your heartbeat and energy output, neat things happen to your brain. No phone, no tv, no music just wind and breathing. It is magic.
Ok, was that to deep?:what:
 
@Constanze Feeling good, how are you doing? I'll be riding over 40k by the end of the year. Probably 45. Just riding distance, not in a hurry.

My lower body hasn't felt or worked this good in years upon years. It is wonderful.

I've gone scientific, got a GPS with cadence and heart rate monitors. I'm also on Strava. I rode some big hills in the wind and damp on Sunday and didn't bonk.
 
Hello @dougie0216 . Thanks for asking. I enjoyed reading your post. Have fun training for the race. I'm fine. I'm now on the starter list for the Ironman 70.3 (Half Ironman) in June 2018 at Kraichgau. Kraichgau is a beautiful rural region in southern Germany not far from Heidelberg. I'm still jealous of your relatively warm temperatures. It's around freezing point in the Rhein-Main area - in other parts of Germany they even had snow. I'm not very good with cold temperatures - have to wrap up warm. That also slows me down so my cycle speed isn't very fast. I cycle to Mainz every Monday where I have Russian classes at a secondary school for adults (yes, I like foreign languages and travelling). It's 19 Kms by bike there and 19 Kms back and includes two steep hills. But it's slow because it's cold and dark. I hop to do more cycle kilometers in spring. Running and swimming is fine. I run with my running group with colleagues at work every Thursday. My operated hip is fine and I don't need a new hip in the other leg either. Have a great time - Constanze
 
Weekend check-in. Got up this morning and rode my bicycle 20.5mi or 33km. So, I am 4 miles away from my end of the year goal of 25mi.
Then I replaced two light bulbs in a ceiling fan, replaced a battery in a smoke detector, retrieved a box of four folding chairs from the attic we need to take to thanksgiving, cooked dinner and did a load of laundry. I'm thinking I'm about 99% back to normal.
I will work tomorrow, then Tuesday we are headed to the family ranch for thanksgiving and hunting. Did I mention four-wheelers and a side-by-side?
So, five days of acting like a kid and eating too much:yahoo:
I've not had very much fun on our annual hunting trip since probably 2010. I basically drove relatives to hunting spots and ate pain pills. Fun hurt too much. I did hunt, fish and four-year a little, but the time spent doing that was minimal. It hurt.
I am looking forward to having pain-free adventures once again!!!
 
We have lots to be thankful for this year.
Hope your days off are filled with fun.
 
@Mojo333 Roger that! Lots to be thankful for, mostly absence of pain!!!! I get to revert to childhood around 3pm tomorrow.
I dreaded having to drive anything last year. Now, I hear a four-wheeler calling my name, along with some bass, sunfish, ferral pigs and perhaps an exotic.
There are high fence ranches all around and when their exotics get out they come down into our valley. Oh snap. Trees fall on fences and flooding creeks happen every year. In the past two years I have seen Black Buck antelope, Sika deer, Red deer, Axis deer and some Elk on our property. Oh yeah, tons of white tail.
Going to be cool Wed and Thursday am, but after that 75/45 every day. Yuk.
Taking my fly rod and other stuff you might need to hunt with... We will see what kind of shape the teenagers and thirty-something's are in. See if they can hang with the old guy. Good to go, woo hoo!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom