THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Guess you are on your way to living life again. Check in once in awhile - we love updates!

@Jaycey It is crazy. It has been ten-weeks since I returned to work. It seems like maybe a month.
I have been able to do things after work and on weekends. Time goes so much faster when you aren't at home watching tv sitting on a heating pad!
I actually sat through a piano recital in an auditorium, I'm riding my bike, it doesn't hurt to play guitar; life is wonderful again after being 'on- hold' three out of the past five years. And, I don't have to take any pills!!!

Your progress amazes me @dougie0216 I too have been back to work now since September 6th, time flies and it's great to be getting on with life again. And no OA pain to boot. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Happy cycling @dougie0216 , I enjoyed reading your update. What a pity we live 1000s of kms apart, otherwise we could train together. I need encouragement and need to improve on my cycle speed. I cycled to work again today. I put up with the darkness in the morning - I've got good lights.
I must improve on my cycle performance because I've signed up for the half Ironman in the Kraichgau region near Heidelberg which takes place in June 2018. Did you say you've got a race planned as well?
Luckily the weather is warm here, too at the moment with above 20°C (around 70°C). I've heard this is caused by a Hurricane over the Atlantic :).
All the best - Constanze

Yay, for no hip pain here either. Spent all day on the water off shore yesterday. Boat ramps no issue, back off the backside ladder , into the water, back up small aluminum ladder, thank god for strong arms. Cleaning and rinsing boat, long day beginning at 4 and ending activity at dark-thirty. No pain, no weakness, no keepers on the fish:sigh: but slept like a baby with no uncomfortableness (is that a word? Oh well)
Life with new bionic hips is amazing.
Happy for you....and me.

@Constanze Yes, Metric Century August 26, 2018. I could move up an age group if it happened the next day. Either way it will be my 60th bday present to myself. There is some precedence, I ran a marathon on my 25th bday. You would have to take it easy on me if we trained together. I need to get my bmi down, I'm still carrying 10kilos more than I should.
@Gone again I don't know how to do it any other way:shrug:
@Mojo333 Sounds like you had fun on the water. Excellent!!
@cpollock glad you are back in the swing of things. It is going to be Christmas before we know it.

Enjoy training for Metric Century in August @dougie0216 . Your birthday is a few days after mine (which is on 21st).
Best wishes from Constanze

@Constanze The OS said 'No Restrictions' to me last week, so that means Go! Right?
No swelling, no pain unless I'm pulling on socks, incision is healed so PT is over and it is time to train for real.
I have four-days off in-a-row coming up so I'm upping my distance 8k on Thursday and will go do some hill intervals on Sat. If I can walk Sunday I will go for an easy spin to loosen up. All my riding buddies are so far ahead of where I'm at, I must catch up.
In two weeks I will be going into work early and getting off in mid afternoon for a week. I should be able to ride several days that week.
It is about to get colder and darker so I need to get my distance built up for that period of time when I can only ride on weekends.
I have a ton of vacation time so I may be taking a day off here and there just so I can ride.

I thought I would share this photo. I went riding in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge this morning.
2017-10-22_12-23-22_500.jpg

I had a four day weekend. Rode the bike (15 & 12 miles) twice and walked / lifted weights on another day.
No pain in in my hip, my muscles? Yup.

Look at you! So awesome! @dougie0216
Those hips are serving you well. That's a lot of mileage.
Keep it up, you're Inspiring others to see the possibilities after joint replacement.
Best wishes for a great week!

Yahooooo, @dougie0216 , lovely photo! These roads look ideal for long-distance cycling. And you look so happy. Did cycling friend of yours take the photo?
Meanwhile, I'm jealous of your hot and sunny weather. It's definitely autumn here (or fall as you say). I have to put on long sleeved shirts and long pants and a warm anorak, and the warm things plus the wind and the rain slow me down. I did 40 km (about 25 miles) along the Main toward Frankfurt yesterday and had to slow down because of the strong west wind on the way back. Global warming does not seem to apply to the Frankfurt area. Maybe we have the odd hot day or 2 in summer when temperatures are above 30°C (86°F) but then it becomes cool and overcast again. But you have inspired me to continue with my efforts to improve. Strong and healthy legs for us for years to come without any pain!

Thanks for inspiration @dougie0216. Had lthr in 2016. Right is starting to do the breakdown dance. Nice to know you can make it through two (although I doubt I ever do bike rides like you!).

What a great post, and a beautiful place to ride. So happy for you.

You are such an inspiration to me. I love the matching shirt and helmet, very styling. And it's great you have no restrictions now. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

@Layla Gotta look good!

@Constanze I rode solo. My better half took the pic. She dropped me off and picked me up. It was only about 14C when I started but the wind was minimal and I wore insulated full finger gloves. It was probably 17 or 18 when I was done. I am a man without a group. Everyone I know is riding 40K at minimum. I'll be there in a couple of weeks. I am doing cardio workouts between rides. The warm weather ends this weekend, we are expecting a freeze Friday nite. I have warm kit, bring it!!

@MammaT Hi there. I am not one to be stationary. I'm an ex-runner. I choose not to run because I'd rather see the surgeon later than sooner. That being said I'm an adrenaline/endorfin junkie. So I have a bicycle and a fast car, lol.

@Mojo333 I'm Free!!!!

@cpollock I feel like I was robbed of 3 or 4 years of living due to pain. Over the last five years I have had to stop doing what I loved doing, twice. Running and now cycling were/are my cave time. No phone, no work and no internet. Being in motion was an opportunity to bring sanity back. I can't express how happy I am!

Thanks everyone.

Love, doug

You look great and so happy@dougie2016! To echo what the others have said...you are an inspiration. Happy for you that you are doing what you love!

Hey Doug - taking a swing through to see how folks are doing - wonderful to see how happy and energetic you are. I'm relishing my pain-free life too. Mobility is life.

So happy you are back to your life and your passions ...
Hope you are doing well.

Hey gang, just finished off the week from hell: Fundraising week! There were two 12+ hour days in there. Last Friday, I got to work just before 6am. put in 10hrs then drove home, changed clothes and went to a charity gala. We got home at 11:30 pm. The hip was good. We even won some swag.

Pretty much back to normal. I have been riding the bike regularly. I will be going up another 5 miles in distance this weekend. One of my cycling buddies has agreed to babysit me.
Life is good.

@labanan Oh yes! Pain free 99.99% of the time. I still have a little grab or twinge occasionally, some tapping and an occasional squeak. But only if I pick up something off the floor or put on socks. DW is going to have additional shoulder surgery. A tendon to her pec that they had to cut then repair during shoulder replacement came loose. So, back to the surgeon for a scope on Dec 5. So, if something is on the floor, Tag I'm It. I have grabbers, but I don't think so.

@Mojo333 Woo Hoo! I'm back. Felt good on the bike yesterday. The fundraising week went good. I have the stamina to go 50+ hrs in a five day week again. Not sure that is a good thing....

We are probably staying home for Xmas. DW will have her arm immobilized in a sling for 3 wks. I told her I'm dressing her funny. We really don't think driving 400 miles one-way too see kids and grandkids is the best idea. All we do is run around trying to see Everybody once we get there. Only one of us can drive, load and unload the car.

We are going deer hunting over Thanksgiving. I can't wait to camo-up and hit the woods. Doing that hasn't been much fun for the past 5 years. I'm looking forward to hiking and four-wheeling. And fishing!

Peace, Doug

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi