THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Hi @dougie0216
Have you climbed Everest yet?
Can only imagine the things you're doing....

Hoping all is well with you....Knowing it is....
Best Wishes for another great week!
 
I'm back. Going back to work is overrated. @Layla not Everest, but there is a hill I ride that feels like Everest.
I knew it would be tough doing PT after going back to work. I was right. Between work, relatives visiting and extracurricular weekend duties related to my job, I haven't rode, worked-out or done any PT in two weeks. It has been raining, a lot. Not just gentle drizzles. We've had 8 inches of rain in the last two-weeks, alone.

The hip is good. Sitting in a booth at a park on uneven ground all weekend was not pleasant. The Chair hurt to sit in after 15-min. Trying to walk around in a crowd on uneven ground was terrible. If you look down, you run into people. If you watch out for people, you step in holes. The hip was angry on Monday-Tuesday.

All-in-all, I am still ecstatic I got my hip replaced. Most days, I don't even think about it except when I put on my shoes and socks. There is a vibration and tapping that reminds me I have replacement parts. Also, it does not like me bending over to pick something up off the ground/floor. There is a little stretching/pain when I do that. Other than that, no pain.

Take it easy. I am typing this on break, I will try to catch-up on everyone later this week.

I know some people that have no idea what to do when they retire. I guarantee I wont have that problem!
 
good report @dougie0216 ! That's a whole lot of rain... how have harvests reacted to it?

This "vibration and tapping", have you mentioned it before and I missed it? That would scare the snot out of me:shocked: Where do you feel it?

I'm way behind you, and am still using the "golf reach" for feeding cats, picking things up off the floor, etc. I am nowhere near as active as you, but last weekend for me was filled with two extremes-- walking a very hilly city pavement, and sitting in various seats-- plane, airport, concert hall, metro, restaurant. My hip cooperated eagerly, but/and the right side with its S-I issues and good ol' piriformis pain wasn't so happy with the sitting. I'm sure if I challenged the new hip with long-distance sports I'd have a different result, but for my current activities it feels very strong and very stable-- like yours it sounds. Keep up good work!!
 
@dougie0216 You are about 2 weeks ahead of me and I agree doing the therapy and working is tough. I stopped going the end of August when I returned to work. I just ordered a Rebok stepper to help me strengthen my left quad. Sitting for extended periods bothers me the most and am getting a standing work station installed at work and trying to get up and walk around frequently. Agreed- returning to work is overrated!
 
@zauberflöte The noise is in the joint. I had it on the last one as well. It only happens when I sit on a soft low cushioned ottoman to put on my shoes. It goes away after several months once the muscles get all tightened up. My herbs are loving the rain. Too early to harvest cotton which is what most farmers grows around here.
Yesterday was 4mos. Woo Hoo. My return visit to the OS is this coming Monday.
@birder Yes, I work 9.5 hours everyday and I have an hour commute. I am also the cook, so most days I'm our of the house before 7am, and it is 7pm before I sit down to eat. It is too dark to ride the bike any distance, so I just ride weekends. Work really messed up my workouts.
I worked in the yard all day this past Sat & Sun. I was feeling great until I went to go downstairs this morning to my office in the dungeon. The hip was not happy going downstairs. It was all happy again by 10am.
Back on the bicycle next weekend.
 
@zauberflöte It squeaks on occasion too. Audibly! It doesn't hurt so I'm ok with it. If I make 80, I will have to have revisions, probably.... So I've accepted more fun in the future. Neither hip hurts now, even if one is vocal on occasion. That is the big picture.
Although we had departmental meetings today which meant a tie and dress shoes. Department heads have an image, after all...:loll:
Anyway, my hip did not like the dress shoes. It's the hard heel thing. I'm guessing it transmits a vibration up my leg to the joint. As soon as I took them off, it went away. I mowed the lawn after work.
 
Good Lord! I can't imagine that; I'm glad you are so sanguine about it! Yes, hard heels do it to me too. I have put my wooden clogs in the "don't wear these any more" pile, such a shame as they are so very comfy. After aout 18 months it didn't hurt to try them, but I figure, why wear it out faster than need be. I am sincerely hoping NOT to need revisions, because 80 is a terrible age to do that!! My mom turns 90 in a week and a half, and her mother lived to 88, so I may be around for awhile.

I'd be mowing the grass now if we had an electric mower! (asthma and exhaust up the snoot don't mix).
 
@zauberflöte Back to my cushioned trainers tomorrow! I'll try the leather ones again in November. Experiment over.
I'm glad I was wearing nice shoes and socks, I ended up sitting next to the University President. I was sporting some nice Argyles, his socks had treble clefs. We actually discussed socks. He has several hundred pairs, who knew?
My John Deere has wheels, and the first thing I do when I come in is a nasal rinse. Out of 13 types of mold I was tested for, I'm allergic to 11. Mold is it, I'm not allergic to anything else. My cats are glad.
 
@dougie0216 @zauberflöte How interesting about the shoes. I didn't even think about that. I have read about not wearing sky-high heels anymore (which I don't do anyway), but it never occurred to me that dressier shoes might also be out. :flabber:
 
where's he get those socks??? I need some. I do not need to be the Imelda Marcos of socks, however.

I'm allergic to almost every inhalant, and have "allergic asthma" but the gasoline exhaust is a simple reaction to the irritation cause by the smoke. Twitchy bronchii. Also makes my head hurt. I may be allergic to cats, but I don't let them know it. Neti pots are a wonderful thing-- I'm so glad they showed up in mainstream Western drug stores!

@Susan209 I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to wear this or that shoe. After all the healing is complete, you won't feel jarring. I wear anything I want except those real Danish clogs. Once upon a time a pair of 2 1/2" heels nearly got me run over by a car, so I don't wear them anymore. Ballet flats are my best friend, and Toms, which have zero cushioning. Just bought a pair of Cobb Hill boots which have a slightly bouncy heel/sole, and walked all over Montreal in them at 9 weeks. Perfect! No jarring, very little pain. And they have about a 1 1/2" heel, which I was nervous about, but they're so comfy I don't care!

Somebody on here for my first hip wore kitten heels to a fancy occasion at something like 6 or 7 weeks, and lived to tell the tale! There is hope! Old lady shoes are not your fate!
 
I have six pair of socks, three actual pairs that match. Wish I could wear my croc flops all the time. Winter on the way well have to check out some other real shoes as the tennis shoes I had pre surgery make my legs ache, well, they ached then too.
Wish I could just barefoot it all the time...that's the most comfy. I have super high arches so that's probably not good either.
@dougie0216 Hope weather is good for your planned ride... I worked weekend before 12 hour food give away and spent all this weekend at hospital. Plan for upcoming weekend is getting out in the country and trying to like people again.
 
@Mojo333 for you to say "trying to like people again" sets off Red Alerts in my brain-- do, do, DO get the halibut out of Dodge this weekend and let nature wash its cool green peace over your spirit. God will bless you this weekend!!!!!!
 
Hey y'all, an appropriate greeting from the southern part of the US... Anyway, as a function of my job title at work, I get to produce all official videos for university events. Today, we had an Academic Convocation. It was held in the gym. We used to do it outdoors in a courtyard, but this is the rainy season so we quit fighting mother nature.
Anyway, the seating area is roughly 30-inches above the gym floor, separated by a rail. I am now officially able to climb over the rail. I had so much fun, I did it 6 or 7 times. I have not been able to do that in 5 years!!! Woo Hoo!
So, instead of having to walk 100 feet to go around the rail and use the steps, I climbed over the rail. It did not hurt. Awesome.

@Mojo333 Um, I probably have 30-pair. I need more!!! I have my Dallas Stars Hockey socks on today, their first game is tonight.

@zauberflöte I use the silicone Neil Med squirt bottles a minimum of twice a day. Between April and October, I have to use Afrin a couple of times a week, as per my allergists instructions. Some days, nothing goes up, so it has to be opened chemically. I have a deviated septum several times over. The air flow on the right side is about 25%. They couldn't even get the camera up there for an exam.
They are encouraging me to have surgery saying it would alleviate my sinus headaches when my mold allergy is seriously flaring. It is going to have to get a lot worse for me to let someone break my nose intentionally. I'm moving to the dessert when I retire, so it will be a non-issue then.

@Susan209 I am wearing running/training shoes till further notice. I have little or no pain wearing athletic shoes. As soon as I put on dress shoes, every other step twinges in the joint. Although I did wear dress shoes to a faculty recital last night. I took half a tramadol before I went. I actually sat in an auditorium seat for two-hours without pain. Walking was uncomfortable, but manageable. The last time I was in an auditorium seat (February pre-surgery) it was terrible.
 
@dougie0216 yipeeeee climbing railings of 30". You are the very tall one, right? You and @Gone again ?

Wow, my allergist says he will not recommend anybody for septum surgery unless they've been on allergy shots for some time. I'm luckier than you-- only need Afrin for a really really bad sinus infection, which I do my best to avoid with a quart's worth of neti pot every night. He himself has quite a schnozz, and he said they broke it in 17 places to straighten it out. OUCH!

I've been walking a whole lot more here on vacation, and have done it once in my bouncy boots, mostly in my running shoes, and today my Keen sandals, which have athletic type soles. The sandals seem to make my legs less tired. Huh. They are certainly comfortable all the time! Then I waded in the bay in them just now, and they'll be wet and useless until the sun comes back out grrrr.
 
Hey Dougie overdoing it is relavent to what your doing. The other day I cleaned out some gutters. Only about 25 feet long on the second story. Had more to do but stoped at that. Didn't think it would be a problem. The next morning Surprise Surprise Surprise.I was really sore in new places in the groin on boath sides. Who knew.Don't tell my wife
I've got a drawer for winter socks and one for summer socks. No idea how many pairs I just keep rotating. Lucky for me rarely wear dress shoes.
 
Hello Hippies! I awoke before 6, the bicycle was calling me...by name. Disturbing, I know.
I rolled out of the garage before 8am. It was warm, over 20C on Oct 14! That all ends tonite, cold front is on the way.
Today was the first day I felt strong. Rode some hills and finally have my average speed up over 20kph.
Next week is fall break so a short work week. I may get to ride three times.
Onward and upward:yay:
 
I almost forgot. I had my 4-month post surgery appt with the OS this past Monday. He was manipulating the joint and there was no pain. Then I broke out some yoga poses for him.
He said, 'Normally I see patients again at six-months. I'll see you at one year. Make an appt for next June.'
Yesss:yes!:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom