THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Wow that’s s seriously impressive cat tree. Mine would love it.
Even more impressed that that you’re going out on your bike. I don’t think I will ever have the confidence to ride anything other than a static bike again :upright:
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2018
 
I agree with regular bike. A friend is trying to talk me into one, but he does serious rides-like 25 miles!
 
@Jackie222 I have several older friends who ride. They all have replacement parts. After my first hip replacement they were all over me. Get rid of your hybrid, get a road bike and come with us.

Thank you for the well wishes, and our cats just let us share their house.

As a former runner and avowed adrenaline junkie, not being outdoors and in motion ...I might as well well cash it in. A stationary bike wasn't going to get it done.
Perhaps after a while, the road will call you and @MammaT
 
Seven Months Tomorrow, hippies!

I don't even think about my hip except when I put on my socks and shoes. The muscles are still a bit loose, so it does this tapping thing. It doesn't hurt. Oh yes, and it does let out this squeak occasionally:loll:
 
I’m not saying never to the road bike @dougie0216, just not yet. I live in an older suburban neighborhood so it is a good area for sedate rides. Will have to see what summer brings. As long as we find something to keep us moving.
 
I’m on a dirt road so I have a mountain bike with oversized tires. Not a fat bike but one down. It’s great on trails but I can see how a road bike would be fun. Easier to pedal on hard surfaces. Not sure if I’d want to be hunched over like that though. My hands already fall asleep on the bike I have now. It is great exercise and if I was in town I would use it a lot more. Town is 7 miles away.
 
Just installed the new Bone Smart App. Now I don’t have to wait to get home and fire up the tablet. Life is good. Taking DW to OS in OKC in about an hour. She should get released to work/drive today! Nurse-Doug is about to be out of a job.
 
Hi there @dougie0216
It's great to hear from you! It feels like this has been a long haul with your wife's shoulder.
Hopefully all goes well today with the OS visit and you can relinquish all the normal wifely duties
back into her care. It sounds as though you've been a capable devoted caregiver. She's blessed.

Assuming that your recovery continues to improve?
I can only imagine what adventures 2018 will hold for you both with your combined working parts.
Prayers for no additional surgeries in 2018.
Safe travels to your wife's appointment today. Keep in touch!
 
Just read through your thread, and what a joy to read! Inspirational for sure. Everyone should have your drive and positive attitude! Kudos to you on your recovery.
 
Glad to hear wife is doing well, as are you.
I am also pleased as punch over life with no hip pain.
I like my new hips just fine!
 
@Layla @Mojo333 @MammaT Thank you. All is well. She was released to work, to drive and starts PT next week. She also gets to toss her sling.
The funny thing is, for someone who hadn't driven in 6-weeks, she sure reverted back to Dale Jr mode pretty quick:yikes:
As crazy as I am, I never had to swear on the bible before a judge I would not speed for 90-days after a 3rd speeding ticket in 12-mos. True story.
Her range of motion is pretty good, her pain is almost gone so it appears the year of the surgeries has FINALLY drawn to a happy close:praying:
 
Well thank you @jlsotr. I work with and around college students all the time. I always tell them three things. Learn the rules and once you know the rules, play to win. You are the captain of your own ship because nobody else can earn that grade for you.
I wouldn't tell them that if I didn't believe it. The same thing goes for recovery. I have a cousin who is the same age as I am. He was limping around at a family reunion 2-years ago, about a year and a half after my LTHR. I asked him what was wrong. He told me he had a knee replacement the year before, did PT for a month and then didn't see any point in continuing and returned to his normal ranching duties.
He realized a few months later that was a mistake. I just don't want to be that guy. I know several people who have had terrible outcomes and all of them didn't do what was suggested to recover fully from joint replacement surgery.
That was my motivation. I still have stuff to do like being a grandfather, husband, riding my bicyle, playing guitar, baking.... If I am in pain and taking meds, it can't do any of that stuff successfully.
I just don't want to be that cranky old guy limping around. I want to be the happy old guy that my grandkids like to hang with.
 
Hi Dougie. How's life?
When is your 50 mile race scheduled? Do you think you will still do it?
I hope recovery is still on the upswing...you know I was always worried about you...the antithesis of a patient cautious recoverer...you always were !
Wishing you all the best. You should try to join us on JRAD day, register and pop in when you can.
Pop in here also and give us proof of life!:) :-) (:
 
Hey @dougie0216
You're getting lost in the shuffle!
Glad Mojo pulled you up.....we need a dougie update.
Hope all is well and you're just back to living life!
 
@Layla Let's talk about synchronicity. I made a note-to-self this am to check-in:) :-) (:

Update: All good. I'm at 99%. Zero pain. The squeaking has diminished. The only time I can tell I have a new hip is when I put on my socks. It kind of taps a little in the socket. The other one did that too and after a year or two that went away.

Now, I am going to get on my PT soapbox. If you just got your new hip (or knee,) DO YOUR PT! And after you get released from PT, DO YOUR PT!

I know a school of thought exists where PT isn't necessary. That is another way to recover and I am not knocking it. However, that method isn't for me.

After RTHR, I purchased a carrot on-a-stick; that being a GPS/cycling computer for my bike. I took today off to go for a ride, weekends have not cooperated weather wise.

My GPS says I hav have logged 203mi since getting back on my bike in October. 70 since the new year. In addition to riding, I still do all of my PT exercises 2/wk.

Had my annual medical checkup a couple of weeks ago. Dr happy. I lost 4 lbs from a year ago and BP/HR/EKG/CBC all normal.

I put that in because I still have my ODIC membership, and if that keeps me off medication for hypertension, cholesterol or any number of other maladies, I'm not changing a thing.

It was 42F/5C when I rode earlier today. I bundled up except for my legs, lol.
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right [Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

I feel great and I hope everyone's recovery is going well.
 
@Mojo333 50-miler is Aug 25, two days before I turn 60. There is a 25-miler in October so that Will be my first opportunity to slay others in my new age class:rotfl:

Gotta cook dinner I'll stop by your thread this evening.
 
Oh Dougie...:doh:
So happy you are doing well.
I am also 99% and hippy happy.
You look healthy and happy.:yahoo:
 
I don’t ride like you do @dougie0216, but I enjoy my recumbent bike. Did you use one as part of your pt? When did you start back? I may move to biking outside around neighborhood once I get both hips moving, I like the recumbent because I can always fit in some time on it regardless of weather or work schedule.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom