THR Left 2013 - Now the right

I have a new reply, the next time some one tells me I'm not old enough to have a hip replacement.
I'll tell them to talk to my grandson, and tell him I'm not old enough to be a great-grandfather.

I just found out I'm going to be a great- grandfather.
 
Hello hippies! Great-grandfather in training is celebrating DAY 47.
Got up, walked 2mi. I found a pattern of streets in our neighborhood that is shaped like a pretzel and it is 1.99 miles. So I walked 'The Pretzel " course. Then I went inside and did seated and flat on-the-back weights, followed by resistance bands, core stuff, yoga and stretching. Tomorrow is walk only. Thursday is X-Ray and checkup day with OS. It's a 150-mile R/T so I'm taking a pain pill with me.

Back when I was a runner I kept a log of how far and where I ran as well as the weather conditions.
I've decided to do the same for recovery and what comes after, so I have been reverse engineering what I have done since 6/1. I'm not keeping track of the weather, it sunny, hot and humid.
I use MapMyRide to God my walks so that part is easy. Now I get to go back and read my posts here to figure out what else I did besides walk.
I'm a geek and a Hippy, I admit it.
Peace, Man.
 
Happy Day 48. I took today off from walking /PT. The TdF was in the Alps and that was must see TV.
While it was on I cleaned the kitchen. I also watered the back yard and cleaned my wife's inflatable swimming pool. I also signed my weekly batch of papers my work was kind enough to bring by.
I took a nap then got up and put new strings on my acoustic guitar.
Tomorrow I go see the OS.

I corresponded with the HR department at work. They want a letter from either the doctor or home-health nurse saying that I have been released from care before they will let me come back to work. That is getting closer.

@Josephine When I say 'good stuff,' it is a comparison.
Taking two 50mg's of tramadol at once makes me feel very strange/weird.
I don't like taking two of anything at once except scoops of ice cream. So if I can take one pill every 4-6 hrs, I would choose that over taking two somethings that makes me feel like I'm having some apocalyptic, unpleasant out of body experience.
 
Oh nooo! You took the day off yesterday.......I fear what that energy reserve might have in store today with less activity yesterday.
Good luck at the OS appointment today, I'm quite sure you'll impress.
A great day to you!
 
Happy Day 49! Wow, seven weeks has gone by fast.

I had checkup #2 with the OS today. Everybody is happy. I told them everything I had been doing and that I was very happy with my physical therapist. They were also pleased with the outcome and had zero problems with what I am doing rehab-wise. My wife was there to fill in the blanks. I'm sure she was hoping they would tell me to slow down:heehee:Didn't happen.

McBride Orthopedic is physician owned. They are also the team surgeon's for OU Athletics (The University of Oklahoma) and the Oklahoma City Thunder of the NBA. They are the top ranked orthopedic hospital in OK and one of the top 100 In the US. I am hardly the only overachiever they see on a regular basis.
When I told them about my weight training they asked if I was also working any of my back muscles? They said to keep doing what I was doing, and that I looked great.
The X-Rays looked good. The PA told me I had an Apple and an Orange.
The left hip in the image is the newer right hip. It is the new/improved model, lol.
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

I am released too do everything now except for going to work, running or riding my bike.
I will return to work with no restrictions on 07 August and can ride my bicycle beginning September 01. I have a return appt on October 09.
Woo Hoo:yay:

I will add that the trip up and back, turning my leg out for the xrays, the manipulation by the PA and the shopping and lunch afterwards did cause some swelling and yes, pain.
I had taken some ice packs/meds with me, so I took a tramadol and an Arthrotec (diclofenac sodium/misoprostol) and applied ice for the 75-min trip home. Good to go now. Swelling is down and the pain is gone.
Training to get back on the bicycle starts tomorrow.
 
Awesome news! You're doing great.

Just curious, did they mention why the longer stem on your current prosthesis?
I don't know if you've watched any video on hip replacement......I can't! I heard it's simply gruesome the way they dislocate and all. I watched a short.....maybe 3 minute animation and the tunneling into the femur almost made me vomit.....I had to turn it off and it was only animation!

Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration!
 
Awesome news on the appointment! Sounds like things are going well! You get a longer vacation than I do-school starts on Aug. 1 for me! So is tomorrow a rest day?
Michele
 
Happy you had good report...
Hope you continue to do well
 
Happy Day 50! @Cisne Ha! No today was not a rest day lol.

I slept in. Then I walked two miles. No additional PT, because I wanted to go to town. I went by the credit union to turn in my loose change. Then I went for a haircut, got my car washed, went and filled up with gas and then went unattended to the warehouse store. Then I came home. I was gone 3hrs, drove 50-miles and I feel good. No pain and no swelling currently. It will swell later. If I run my hand over my leg that area is warmer so that means it will swell eventually. That is gradually happening later in the day.

Tomorrow I am planning on just a normal PT day. I have rack of ribs in the freezer. They were calling to me earlier today so I will probably cook those tomorrow.

Cheers, Doug
 
Happy Day 51! What a beautiful morning for a walk. I went out early so I could get back and watch the Tour Dr France Individual Time Trial.

I had today circled a couple of weeks ago as a day to possibly walk 5k/3mi. This morning I walked 3.07 miles in 1:00:07. That is a few meters short of 5k, c'est la vie!
I came home and worked my upper body with hi-rep light weights and finished off with stretches/core exercises/yoga on the mat. Total workout time was 98min. It is getting close to time to pull the HRM (heart rate monitor) out of mothballs so I can gauge my fitness level before getting back on the bicycle. I want to be able to do more than just ride around the block.
Currently pain free, but there will be swelling this evening.
5yrs ago I was running 5k in 26-min and change. When I was 17, it was 17min...
I've had my protein, fluid and shredded wheat. Ok, I put some cocoa crispies in there for taste.

Basically I need to ice, do do a load of laundry and slow cook a rack of ribs. Other than that, I accomplished an objective today. I am about five weeks ahead of where I thought I would be fitness wise.
What a gorgeous day I feel great.
 
Wow Dougie thanks for the update your inspirating me to increase my activity. Tuesday I'll be at 5 weeks.
I should go find some ribs.
 
I love reading your updates @dougie0216 I never really cared for running since my twenties and prefer brisk walks. I love stretching as you have been doing and a few yoga moves. Now you have us all craving ribs, hehe. Thanks a lot, we have none but I'll be adding them to the shopping list, hehe. I wish you a great continued recovery. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom