Guest viewing is limited

THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Enjoy the ribs Dougie...don't increase your activity @Gone again...
Dougie is actually a freak of nature....
Too much too soon.
 
Mmmm. Ribs !!!! One of my favourite foods.

Ouch. Over-exercising. deffo not for me.

Easy does it dougie.
 
Happy Day 52! Evidently, today was that 1 day per-year when I could sleep 12+hours. That is what I did, I got up at 1:20 pm.
Normally my conscience would make me feel too guilty. No such problem today. I watched the final stage of the TdF on DVR while doing resistance band exercises and stretching/core exercises/yoga.
It was way too hot with too many thunderstorms and lightning to go for a walk. I will get up and walk my 3miles in the am then do weights.
I have a conference call for work Tuesday am, and Goodwill is making a pickup that afternoon so Tuesday will be a day off.
A really relaxing kind of a day, today. Glad I got it out of the way.
Oh yes, I can get either leg over the top rail of my bicycle now, I tried this afternoon after stretching. T-40 days until I can ride. July and August have 31-days, sigh. Otherwise It would be T-38 days.
 
Sounds like a good day-and sleeping is prime healing time! Congrats on reaching the bike milestone. It was pretty stormy/hot here too. Not a good day for walking.
Michele
 
Happy Day 53! Got up, had coffee, and hit the pavement. I walked 5k, came home and worked biceps and triceps while seated. Then I hit the mat and did stretching/yoga/core exercises. I finished-off by balancing on each leg for 30-sec. Workout including walking was 90-min.
I am currently iced and elevated. I am also watching shark week lol.
I plan on cooking dinner. I start back to work two weeks from today. That's encouraging and depressing. I need a nap.
 
Happy Day 54. Today is an off day PT wise. I slept great.

I just finished attending a 2:45 board meeting by phone. I'm the VP of a statewide organization so attendance was not optional. I sat in a chair at my computer and listened to my phone for the audio. At 2hrs, my thigh began to swell and throb. Bummer. So for the last 45-min I attended horizontally, iced and elevated.

I did not anticipate that reaction. I walked three miles yesterday, worked out, cooked dinner and had less swelling and pain. I am glad I don't have to go back into the work environment until 8/7.

I kind of anticipate afternoons to be difficult, so this was a good test, and it let me know that No! Even tho I think I can go back to work, I am not ready.

Our staff engineer is having hernia surgery today, so I am hoping we don't have any technical problems at our five locations across two states. I am his backup and will have to fill-in if the data pipe is interrupted. Worst case scenario would be a 140-mile round trip. I'd have to wait until evening to use my wife's car because there is no way I could drive my manual transmission, fat and bone-jiggling rally car that far. And I could not go to town and get a company car because I am on leave. That begs the question, could I be reimbursed for mileage?!? I hope the weather stays good.

No use in worrying, have a great day everyone!
 
Sorry to hear that the last part of the meeting was rough. Good for you being proactive w the ice and elevation. I think we are all with you in hoping no trip is necessary. Hang in there.
Michele
 
@Cisne When I say totally unexpected, I mean, Wow! Really? You're going to do this to me? Jeez. All the things I do and no pain; yet I sit and kablam.
The other hip did the same to me last time when I went back to work at 8-1/2 weeks. I'm giving myself an extra week this time.
Do I actually need to practice sitting?:heehee:
Good luck next week. Is there any easy you can take an ice-pack with you? I sure am.
 
Is there any easy you can take an ice-pack with you?
Do you have those instant ice packs in the US. Check in the first aid area. You bend the pack and suddenly it's ice cold. They don't work for very long but I used them when I did a 6 hour drive post RTHR.
 
Hi @Jaycey Thank you! I have seen them online. I use the re-usable ice packs that you can get for ice-chests.
I take my lunch and always use one to keep it cold. I have room in my insulated lunch carrier for two or three, so I am going to go that route. Our break room has a freezer, so I am going to put one in there for emergencies.
Everyone at work knows I am eccentric anyway, so I'd have no problem conducting business laying on the floor of my office with my legs/feet elevated. It will give them something to talk about. My boss is nuts too, he'd love it.
And, if I need to go home, I will.
 
And, if I need to go home, I will.
Good plan! My first day back in the office post RTHR I crashed about 3PM. Got very dizzy and nauseous. I think it was just major fatigue. That energy drain can sneak up on you.
 
It's been over a year since I have been on the site and see that you went in for no 2. It looks like you are doing well. I'm happy for you. Gosh how quickly we forget; reading the posts brings all the memories back. Congrats on being a great grandpa. On the pain while sitting; I have a collection of cushions that will last a lifetime. I think I bought one each of everything Amazon had to offer. Take care
 
@dougie0216 you are amazing... I'm 4 wks behind your surgery date, but miles behind in terms of recovery. Way to go! I'll get there, eventually. Good advice on your thread about icing during the work day, etc. I'm not planning to work until 3rd week of August, and that will be reduced schedule for at least 2-3 weeks.

Keep on, keeping on... and stay cool!
 
Hey @lalo! I remember you. Crazy hunh?

@313Lola I was just talking too a friend about this. Part of my brain is still 18, and I am still lettering in cross-country running, cross-country skiing and track in high school. I pretty much torture myself physically on a routine basis. Now that I can't run anymore, I have a bicycle. My DNA is that of someone who was born to run, and then kept running. I was in pretty good shape just prior to surgery, so my starting point afterwards was just a little higher. That is all it is. You will get there!

@Jaycey Oh man! I remember my first day back after LTHR. I went back at 8.5 weeks. Big mistake. I had been promoted while out on leave, and I wanted to get back. I made it 3-hours my first day. The swelling and throbbing pain almost made me nauseous. It wasn't a local deal. It was a full body, felt like I had been run-over by a truck/lorry deal. Ugh!
As I recall it was a couple of weeks before I managed to be there all day.
 
I'd say happy day 55, except it isn't. I walked my 5k, but when I returned home I found out that our daughter-in-law in Dallas had a seizure and was in ICU.

Evidently she had a brain hemorrhage yesterday. The neurosurgeon has installed a drain. She is in a coma. She has not spoken or regained consciousness since before she was put in the ambulance.
We are packing tonight, but staying put. Our son has not slept since yesterday and he needs peace and quiet, not relatives. He told us that, I love that boy. We will be going to Dallas, just not today.

I am packing re-refillable ice packs, hotels have ice machines. I'm also packing pain pills. The trip is usually 3-hours, but it will take 4 because we have to stop every hour so special me can get out and stretch. I am not putting on those hose!!!

If I disappear for a couple of days, that's what is going on. So, live life to the fullest, today. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dougie0216.
So so sorry. Please be careful.
Sending prayers to your family.
 
@Mojo333 Thank you.

And I'm serious, I pretty much try to get my money's worth out of every day. It occurs to me when I am cycling or walking up my hill, "is today the day I have the big one?" Then I say to myself , "Guess not," because I probably would have had it by now:smile2: Why do I always have those thoughts on hills?
 
Oh @dougie0216
I'm so very sorry!
Not only is the situation truly scary for your son and daughter in law but heartbreaking for you to hear the son you love so dearly in anguish.
Take care on your trip to Dallas not only for yourself but so you are strong enough to offer your son the support he'll need.
Prayers going up.......Please update us when you return.
Safe travels!
 
@dougie0216 Certainly so many things to say, one thing for sure ... you have a team of hippies thinking of you and your family. Although your son says "he needs peace and quiet, not relatives" you strike me as exactly the kind of person he needs right now. Safe travels and prayers.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom