THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Hi @dougie0216 , you're doing phantastic. Keep up the good work, but don't overdo.
The story about your friend who passed away is very sad indeed. I'm so sorry.
I decided against weight gain, and opted in favour of hip replacement and marathoning despite hip replacement. I did a training half marathon on Monday, and today 13 Km. My legs feel good. Last Thursday, I went swimming, and tomorrow, I'll go again. We always swim 1.5 Km. The swimming lake is the one and only lake where the swimming for Ironman Germany (Frankfurt) takes place. The Frankfurt Ironman is No. 2 worldwide after Hawaii. Did I mention that I had a try for Frankfurt Ironman but dropped out after 90 Km cycling each time because my cycling was too slow (my swimming was ok by the way). Ironman was on July 9th this year. We recorded it so I can watch a little bit of it everyday on TV. I don't know whether I'll try for another Ironman. Maybe a half-Ironman first. I'll see how it goes with this marathon in August. I wish you good luck in your efforts to take part in a biking race.

And do look after your cats. They may be independent but they want affection. I don't have cats but my daughter Melli and her partner do a sort of B&B for cats. They started looking after cats for people who go on holiday a few months ago. They are having cats now the second time around. A wonderful business idea!

And wow! It's hot in your country! It's cooler in Germany this week but next week, there will be another heat wave coming up.

Take care
Constanze
 
I took Day 41 off from PT and cleaned my garage. Not much of a day off:smile2:
Oh, I also did some work-work over the phone and via email. Like I said, not much of a day off...
 
Woo Hoo! Day 42 or six weeks post RTHR!
:wow:

It has gone so fast.

I walked 1.8miles or just over 2k this morning. Since I did not know how it would react, I did not set any speed records.
No adverse reactions from the hip. I came home and ate some protein and re-hydrated. Then I hit the mat, worked my core and did some yoga and stretching. Currently iced and elevated!
Feel great.
@Constanze I am glad you are going all-in on the running and swimming. My sister who is 52 did a triathlon last weekend. I hope her knees and hips hold up. We are adopted so thankfully her hips still have cartilage!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dougie0216 I'm also sorry for the loss of your friend. No matter the circumstances I know it's still hard.
You are an inspiration to me. I'm at day 25 and nowhere near where you are. I'm still using a walker but my surgeon said it's a must for 6 weeks. My hip muscles and leg are still weak but seem to improve a little each day and I'm still swollen. Baby steps. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Here I am, Day 43. It started off great. Warm sunny morning, great walk (2.3mi/3k) did seated upper body weights and stretching/core/yoga to finish.
However, my phone started blowing up between walking and weights. There was a matter at work that could not be resolved without my assistance:banghead: At least they miss me. So much so that I worked off and on from 10:30-4:30.
Anyway, virtually no swelling and no pain. Zero. My alarms and legs are tired. Tomorrow is going to be a no-walk day. I'll do some resistance bands and work the muscles I did not get to today with weights.
I'm not trying to be Mr Universe. I have the wrong body type. I am doing light weights and high reps. I am using my time off not only to recover from surgery, but to be in the best shape I can be so I can get back on the bicycle Sept 01.
The people I want to ride with all be in 30-50 mile shape. I want to make sure my cardio is good. Maybe I can go 5 or 10 with them before turning back. The last day I rode in March, we were going to ride 20-25mi, and at five mi I just couldn't stand the pain anymore. I rode home and parked the bike.
I wanted to see if I could get my leg over the bar today...no go. Couldn't do it.
Happy Friday.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right It took me 44-days after RTHR to discover another use for resistance bands.
 
Happy Day 44! I feel good, borderline great.

I got up and did a little work-work on the computer while watching the TdF. Then I did my complete resistance band workout, two sets of everything on the blue band with the exception of some hamstring and calf stretches. I have these long legs and the blue band isn't long enough so I used green. I worked my chest and shoulders with seated or flat on-my-back weights. I practiced standing on one leg and finished with core work/stretches/yoga.

Today is a no walk day.

I have cabin fever and my other half would like to get something to eat so we are going to journey to another town 50k up the freeway the opposite direction. There is also an alternate route along some winding country roads so we are going to take the Subaru WRX out of mothballs and I am going to drive. At least one way. I cannot guarantee I will maintain the speed limit.

I am hip pain free, pain pill free and flexeril free. I am however taking my nsaid of choice. The incision is still tender. I keep brushing against the edge of a certain countertop...
:gaah:
 
Hi Dougie.
What a recovery so far.
I have to say though just in case there are any people watching this recovery that its really off the scale in terms of speed of recovery.
Dougie is doing fantastic but he'll agree with me that all recoveries are not this quick.
When I had my hips done (and I'm great now) my recovery was plagued by ups and downs.
The Reason.
Way too much exercise Way too early.
Just a word of caution âš .
Joe......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening, drove the 65mi roundtrip with no pain in my hip. Part of the seatbelt was too close to my incision so that was a little uncomfortable.
The pavement was mostly wet but I succeeded in finding a dry stretch in order to get my adrenaline level back to where it needs to be.
I am currently iced and elevated. Just a little minimal swelling, but no pain in hip. My incision is now happy.
I know we should err on the side of caution, but you don't know you can't do something unless you try doing it.
 
I think I might wait till i know I can do it before I try it... Not as brave as you.
 
How about.
If you try doing it and you get injured.
Joe.....
 
Sounds like you are breezing through this recovery @dougie0216 . Have you been cleared to drive by your surgeon? Be very careful if you have not as insurance may not cover you if there was an accident.

I will echo Joe's comment about exercise. Every recovery is different and in many cases the amount of exercise dougie is doing only results in aches and pains. In fact it could result in chronic pain. Best to go slow and pace yourself. Your recovery is your own.
 
Tsk, tsk, you need to behave dougie or we're gonna have to give you a time out in the corner!
Love to kid you, can't help it! I think I'm just a little envious of your progress. You and @gaulsuerou
both doing phenomenal. Just be careful.....
Enjoy your day!
 
Happy Day 45! No rest this morning, I had to work from home. Then I got sucked into watching the Tour Dr France. By the time it was over, it was too hot and muggy to walk. The dew point was 75F/24F and it was already 90- degrees. I like to sweat but not that much. I did my core exercises/yoga/stretching.

Some furniture we had ordered was delivered earlier in the week so we spent the day changing out the old furniture, de-medicalizing the bed room and ended up cleaning the walk in closet.
Life is almost back to normal.

@Jaycey Yes, I am cleared to drive. 6-weeks was the magic time-frame and I'm not taking any Hydrocodone. So good to go. I iced 3 or 4 hours last night and aside from the normal muscle soreness from the prior day's workout, I had zero pain from my hip. If I did not have the large pink tender incision, I literally couldn't tell I had a hip replacement. The incision is the only thing that hurts. Granted, my right thigh is still a bit larger than my left, but other than the incision area, I just don't hurt.

Tomorrow I have to set an alarm for six-something. I need to have some documents in a VP's inbox first thing in the am. I'm going to hit send around 7:45 so it is on top of her messages. Then I need to await a response and forward something to someone else. Then i can go walk.
After my wife's total reverse shoulder replacement on 4/5 and my RTHR on 6/1, this is the first normal weekend we have had in 3-1/2 months. I even pulled a few weeds in the flowerbed a few minutes ago when I watered the potted plants. To further normalize this weekend I even cleaned the athletic shoes I got muddy staffing an aid station/ rest stop on a bicycle tour we sponsored on 5/27.

When I was young, I embraced chaos. Now, normal is good.

@Layla The steaks are going on the grill in an hour.
 
Raise a glass to you and wifey......enjoy the steaks and some down time together.......it's some of life's best medicine.

I love those nights, grillin and chillin with my hubby on the deck......a glass of vino, some great tunes, doesn't get much better.

A great week to you!
 
@dougie0216 - like you I am patiently waiting for the day I can get back on my bike(s) - mountain, road, cyclecross. Your recovery and activities are a bit of an inspiration. I am at day 27 since posterior LTHR and am walking ~2-3 km at a time ~ 4 times a day with my forearm crutches (mostly pain free). I need to learn a new form of workout soon as I have always relied on long distance cardio of some kind my whole life which is not comparable with my current status. Hence I have learned a few things from your postings regarding what is possible during recovery. I haven't had a conversation with my doc/PT yet regarding getting back on the bike. I am wondering if you have been given any medical advice on returning to long distance biking ... my weekend bikes used to be 60-100 km but I had to stop the long rides last november when the snow started ... and then I was in too much pain this spring to start again. Now of course I have the new hip.
 
Hi Doug! Sounds like things are going well! I'm pleased you got the car out and had a nice (and I'm sure speed limit abiding) drive! It's been super hot here too, so other than the grocery, etc, I've been staying inside where it's cool. Hope it's a wonderful day and that work lets u rest!
Michele
 
Happy Day 46! Busy day, I finally completed the project I have been working on for work, while on medical leave...
So I worked from about 0745 -0945, then excused myself from the group and said it was time for PT I'll be back at 11.

I walked 2.4mi/3.9k then I came home and lifted a few weights while seated. I only had time for a few stretches, 10 crunches and two yoga poses and it was 11 so I had to return to the computer.
The planets all aligned around 1330 and the project completed itself.

I had a cup of coffee then took a nap. Literally.

I got up and cooked dinner for wifey. We ate, I'm watching baseball on tv and here we are.

I'll go back down to 2mi tomorrow because I won't have a work deadline, so I can spend more time on indoor PT. It was hot today, the heat index was already 93F at ten am. Tomorrow I can walk a bit earlier!!!

Oh yes, I have almost no swelling now. My upper thigh is still a bit puffy, but no swelling around the incision and the overall swelling is down to 50-60% of what it was last week.

Appt with surgeon in OKC on Thursday and my final home-health nursing visit is July 28. I have to give the HR department a one-week notice before I return from FMLA.

Since I don't see the nurse until Friday, I could go back to work on Friday, Aug 4..., I'm not going back to work on a Friday so I will return to work on Monday, Aug 7 which will be Day 67, as long as it is OK with the surgeon and the nurse. I have 12-weeks of leave time avail, but I'm not greedy.
Maybe I should develop a limp again:chinstroke:
 
Oh thank you! Since I'm a 12-mo employee, starting in August we are busy. I have missed 3 committee meetings on two separate committees, I have a ton of assessment stuff to do and two fundraisers separated by seven weeks. Oh yes, auditors... At least I am finally an ex-committee chair this year. I'm gonna sit on the back row.
Unfortunately it is about time to get back.

We also need to go to our Granddaughter's fifth birthday party Labor Day wknd. Her birthday is Aug 20, but the party is labor day weekend. That way grandparents from two different states can get there. She get presents on her birthday, but gets spoiled when grandparents show up. I need an extra day off so I have to get caught up at work. Driving 400-miles one way when you have to get out and walk every hour is going to take all day!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom