THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Happy day 35 @dougie0216 wow yoga with new hips. Who knew? Yoga always sounded just to painful. I'll be happy just to get back into the woods on the bike. Or back into the shop to play with the HotRod. Day 17 for me.
cookies sound good.
 
@dougie0216 congrats on your progress. And your catio is so cool. I have 3 cats myself. Take care and let us know when you accomplish the loop. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
@Constanze I walked at 11am, it was 32C, dew point was 23C, heat index was 36C. The sweat was flowing. The high will be 35C with heat index above 38C. Hot enough!!

@Cisne I am going to be good. The loop I walk which includes a 60-foot hill in the middle is 1.16mi. I walked the first mile today in 18:54.
So I am just going to continue to work on balance and strength and stick close to a mile until next Thursday. Right after surgery my first mile was 24min, so the legs are back! I almost felt like running today but I was able to resist.
What is funny, but not really, is now that I'm off pain pills, I am feeling lots of little aches and pains that come from working out when the next birthday is #59, and that is next month... That's ok, it beats the alternative.

@Layla Just keep plugging away. Every surgery is different. After my LTHR, it was 9 days before I could a walk without assistance. This time I was able to fold the walker when I came home at Day2.
So don't read someone elses posts and feel like you are behind. I was very fortunate this time and don't possess any innate healing abilities.

I have an advanced degree in education. I spent a lot of money to learn that everyone learns differently and at different speeds.
Guess what, major surgery such as a joint replacement is no different. There's are so many variables: how severe was the arthritis, were the muscles atrophied, what was the core strength like in the patient, the surgeon, the hospital, pain tolerance, age and so on.
Celebrate your small victories and just be persistent. You will get there. At 8-days, the worst is definitely behind you.

Here is my strength and conditioning coach, Miss Sushi. She is supervising my two sets of resistance band exercises:
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
 
Oh yeah, Day 35!! It will be 5-weeks at 2:30CDST this afternoon. Time sure is going fast.
 
@dougie0216 Congrats on the improving times! It has been amazing to me that I've been able to do more and more the past few days without feeling tired or in additional pain. I think you expressed the concept of differentiation in learning and healing beautifully. It's is a pleasure and honor to journey with you through this process. Miss Sushi must be feeling extra cruel if she is making you use the dreaded bands!
Michele
 
Day 36. I must have worked my legs pretty good yesterday. This morning they told me we would be walking a mile at 'smelling the roses' pace.
All good. Lifted some weights while seated upon returning and finished up on the mat stretching and working in my core. Currently iced a and elevated.
Swelling is minimal, I'm just insuring it stays that way. My upper right leg is somewhat larger than the left. There is not swelling in a particular location, the entire upper leg is just slightly swollen all over.
 
Hope you enjoyed smelling the roses on your walk! My right thigh is larger than the left. So, I'm guessing it's pretty normal. Enjoy your elevation and icing!
 
This afternoon as I was icing and elevating, I had another visitor to the cat/incision protector pillow. This is our Maine Coon Cat, 'Jelly.'
All of our cats are named after a food or a spice.
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Day37! Same drill, different day. Got up and watched the Tour de France. As soon as the leaders crossed the finish line I went out and walked my mile. 1.1mi actually.
Upper body weights seated and laying on the mat were next.
Then I used the blue resistance band for upper legs and ankles.
Up next was balancing on one leg for :30sec. Luckily I nailed both legs first time so I was done. Immediately after surgery I was lucky to get 10sec...
I finished off with some pelvic tilts and leg stretches. Since I had done crunches the previous two days I gave the abs a day off.
Afterwards, I had a large bowl of cereal with a whole milk to get my protein, carbs and fiber:thumb:Fiber is good.

Now I am out of energy, so I have my B12 drink in a souvenir squeeze bottle from a bike race and am in my default position, my knees are elevated above my heart and I am using ice. I do this same thing, every day except I change up the exercises daily to not get bored.
The only change will be starting to up the mileage this coming Thursday which will be six weeks.

Everybody asks what I have been doing? Recovering I tell them.

I drove my car last night, I had the need for ice cream...

I'm out of Gatorade and milk so I will drive to the store around two. I also think a steak will be on the shopping list.

That is my daily routine since I got home. Just the intensity and duration of exercises is slowly ramping up. I am going to go up 5# on all my weights tomorrow.

I was in fairly good shape before surgery. With the exception of my upper right leg, I'm in better shape now.

I saw one of my bike riding buddies last week. He was riding while I was walking. I told him I was coming for him on September 1. That is my next objective.
My overall goal is to compete in a 50-mile bicycle race next Aug. If I think I can do it, I reserve the right to up the distance to a metric century. (62mi/100k) The race is Saturday August 25, my 60th birthday is the 27th. The next year I get to go up an age group.

Jeez, guess I was talkative today. Peace.
Doug
 
OMG! I feel like a load...
If I'm doing 1/2 of that in another 26 days I'll be ecstatic.
GO DOUG!
You just got me off my a_ _. Not even kidding. Look you're a motivator!
Enjoy the weekend...
 
Your doing well Doug. I really miss my early morning bike rides around the lake. I'm hopeful I can resume riding soon.
 
Up early watching the Tour De France. A mountainous and damp stage today, there are already riders who's next stop is the orthopedic hospital.
I'm glued to the set. I'll do PT exercises in a bit and walk after the riders finish.
 
Happy Day 38. I'm tired, watching young skinny people ride up and down mountains in France for four hours had me tired before I went for my walk. However I persevered.
I walked 1.1miles then came home and added five pounds to my weights and proceeded to get even more tired. I came in did some core exercises, some stretches and yoga.
I'm done! I am on the couch watching baseball and I feel a Sunday afternoon nap coming on.
 
Day 39. Walked my mile, somehow it keeps inching up. Today it was closer to 1.2...
I did seated upper body weights and then came in and finished with core exercises, some yoga, stretching and balancing on one leg for 45-seconds. Took a shower, ate breakfast then iced. I also did laundry.
I have to go to a funeral tomorrow for an acquaintance of mine who chose not to obey doctors advice. Literally, it was death by cheeseburgers and fries. He died not survive bypass surgery after having the big one.
Since my work pants don't fit due to swelling, I will wear a pair of fat pants to the funeral.

So, I am being boring and doing what I am supposed to do. Tomorrow, I will get up and do pt, then go to a funeral. My wife is driving.

Wednesday is going to be a day off from pt. I have to do some straightening in the garage.

Thursday will be 6-weeks! Woo Hoo! I will no longer restricted to one mile. So there is a 1.8 mile loop I ride on my bike on windy days when I chose not to share the road with cars. I'll walk the 1.8mi and see if there is there is any additional swelling or pain. That will be easy to tell because I am no longer in continuous pain. If it goes well, then I'll walk two miles for several days before increasing the distance.
I still can't get over those pants not fitting. I on!y weigh 3 pounds over my pre surgery weight and the pants were not even tight the last time I wore them. I guess I need to keep icing.
 
Good evening Hippies! Day 40. I got my money's worth out of today. I started off by walking the obligatory mile then I came inside where it was cool to do my core work and use the darned resistance bands. I have upped the routine to two sets of each exercise:hissy:
Yeah!

So anyway, finished those up and took a shower then put on a jacket and slacks and got ready to go to a funeral. I had to take off my good leather dress shoes because they have as hard heel. About 3 or 4 minutes of those on the tile in the house and off they came. That hard heel was evidently sending some vibrations up the leg so I went to a rubber soled variety.

Anyway, my wife drove the 25-miles to town. Thankfully, the church had padded chairs instead of pews:thumb:

After the service we took took a friend who spoke at the service to lunch. He and the deceased were very close. We told jokes about the deceased over lunch.

Since we don't go to town everyday, after that we went to two stores on the way home. Wifey, who has a name, it is Renee, graciously went into the stores. I was already hurting. Too many different chairs to sit in and I was a little bummed.

We came home, I took a pill and I am currently iced and elevated.

The friend who passed away needed both knees and a hip replaced. However, he was simply too heavy and had heart disease. He had it explained to him, that he needed to lose weight before they would replace any of his arthritic joints. He chose hydrocodone, cheeseburgers and fries to treat his arthritis and heart disease. He was a grown man so that was his decision.

Well, he had the big one on July 2. He died after quadruple bypass surgery on the 6th.

I am glad I was able to have surgery. That's all I have for today. I am more puzzled than sad. I learned a long time ago it is not necessary for everything to make sense.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss. That's a sad tale you told. I'm guessing with the all of your friends health issues he must have felt overwhelmed as though his issues were insurmountable. Weight issues, a heart problem,
deteriorating joints etc......simply heartbreaking!
Wishing you a restful evening.
 
Dougie we all make our own decisions and bare our own cross. Sorry for your loss.
I'm impressed with your workout routine and feel motivated.i got to get started. I've always worked in construction so I stayed fit. Now that I'm mot working and sitting on my but way to much I've got to get into a routine of some sort.
Looking forward to tomorrow's update :walking:
Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom