THR Layla's Recovery

@Layla it kind of sounds like it's "the dog's husband"........:cool:

How is your RICE regimen coming along? Swelling behind the knee, ouch! I think that 24-48 hours of icing is pretty good for small injuries, but if, say, I throw my back out, I may enjoy ice for 3-4 days, and my hip! Well, ice is as integral to pain relief as pills are, says I. I've been told by PTs to heat this or that, but the only thing heat feels good to me for is musicle cramps. I'm leaving that spelling as it's so creative and, er, musical! Also hilarious the longer I look at it.

@cpollock oh my your hip journey sounds awful and protracted, and especially the part about "come back in (essentially) 20 years!:yikes: Yeah, after you've thrown yourself off a cliff, right?
 
Shadow was my Lab first Lab I ever had. He's the one in Heaven....Cooper is the Australian Shepherd / mix maybe German Shepherd they said the Aussie in him shows ... I would do it all over again just to have my Shadow.

Maybe the grandkids cat bark and growl at you now and then.?

Huge hugs. :dogsniff:
 
Hahaha! @zauberflöte
On a rare ocassion I may have suggested to hubby that his dog gets better treatment than me...just may have slipped out once, or twice, or....FIVE times! :heehee:

I've been bad about working on the knee swelling. I find it hard to sit, ice, elevate. I should probably work on it more but I guess I'm just figuring it will dissipate on its own, hopefully soon. It's not visibly noticeable and I don't feel it unless I bend my knee. So it's really not too bothersome.

I can tell you really love your dogs @MyAussieGirl - Man's best friend, as they say.
And I'm sure my grandkids have barked and made growly sounds at me along with
calling me crazy names like Gari and Layla instead of grandma. They're a hoot...
all 3 of them.....gotta luv em!

You two silly women have a good sleep :yawn: :sleep:
 
Do I have to nag on on ice and elevate??? Don't make me go there @Layla.

Lol I can see your grandkids Growling at you...too freaking funny now it's in my head.

Oh Layla, ice and elevate not hours just 15 here and there......
 
So @Layla Gari or whoever you are.... Have you thought of.... wrapping the ice pack on your knee with an ace bandage?? You will not squirm out of this....we want you to have The Best and we'll pound on you until you get it. And elevate at every meal, and maybe if there's a bit of "I'm going to put my feet up and watch fill in blank for half an hour" every night? Surely grandmas put their feet up! Especially after a day of being barked at!
 
I've been bad about working on the knee swelling. I

I don't feel it unless I bend my knee.
Um ..see anything wrong with this picture?
Pretty sure bending is what your knee's for.
If it keeps up you better see about it..we worry about you too.:ice:
 
Layla, how is the babysitting working out? It sounds like you are doing well. As far as your knee, maybe you could try the icing and elevating if you sit to watch tv in the evening? An hour or two then might be better than nothing. I don't recall if you said what your doctor recommended. Did they think it would just dissipate?
 
Okay, okay, I give......I'll start icing @MyAussieGirl, now that you've got your posse after me!!
@zauberflöte @GrannyC @Mojo333

Any swelling I have is minimal, no one notices the swelling even when I point it out. I do feel it though when I bend my knee. I asked about it at my first post op and they weren't concerned at all. The PA explained it can take some time for all the blood and lymph to move down to the next joint. There was bruising in the front of my knee and it's still faintly there.
Once again last week I asked another Physician Assistant of my OS about it. Again....no concern, not worrisome. I questioned blood clot possibility to which she said "No". She told me to point my toes toward my face as I sat on a chair leg extended out toward her, in mid air. She pushed on a point in my calf and asked if it hurt at all. I said "No, why do you ask?" She said if you had a clot, when I pushed there, you'd go through the roof!

I guess I haven't iced out of lack of concern and pure laziness but I'll give it a whirl and keep ya'll posted.
Thanks for your concern, you're all sweet!

@GrannyC the babysitting is going well. Didn't do much today as it was cold and rainy here. Tomorrow we'll get out and do something as my granddaughter gets board like all 9 yr olds.
As far as the swelling dissipating, that's what they've said will occur. A nurse I spoke with told me I can massage the swollen area also, always toward my heart so it filters through and I pee it out. That's in addition to icing and elevating which I will start doing. The nurse I spoke with over the phone mentioned "movement" also. A good balance though. At this point over activity can aggravate causing swelling as well as lack of movement can also.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I probably wouldn't be icing either (not to throw a damper on all the urging above). If the PA's had no concern, then it doesn't sound like a big deal. My knees are swollen some at end of day but I don't think it is from my hip. I think I have early stages of OA in them as well. I had X-rays last year but was so concerned about my hip, that I don't remember what they said about the knees. I will have PA double check last X-ray for me on my next visit in Oct.

I'm sure entertaining a 9 yr old can be challenging. Some kids like to bake or help you cook which is a possibility. Also, when my granddaughter was about that age, we got her one of those rubber band bracelet kits and she could make her own bracelets. That is probably an old out of date pastime by now as things change so fast but she loved it at the time. In fact even her brother used it some as boys wear bracelets these days. I think he made one in team colors if I remember right. The kit was quite inexpensive - under $10. I think it is called a loom bracelet kit but not sure. My grandkids also liked the library at that age. I'm sure you have plenty of ideas though to keep her entertained. Have fun! I'm jealous you get to spend so much time with her as mind don't live that close.
 
You're right! @GrannyC
Entertaining a 9 yr old for nine hrs a day can get challenging. She is a good little girl though, very loving and sweet. I really never get annoyed with her, only if she wants to be on my iPad too long playing silly kid games.
I don't feel kids should be on those devices for long stretches. I think the jury's still out on what these devices emit and how it will affect us all long term. In addition exercise, fresh air and sunshine is what she should be getting during the summer, just as we all did as kids, before devices. Plus...living where we do there's plenty of time to hibernate inside during the frigid, icy winter.

We did do that bracelet project awhile back. The kids are into making homemade slime now, which we found she was allergic to. They also collect and sit around spinning these mindless little gadgets called fidget spinners. Fads! She loves to draw and color so those type of supplies are always a staple here. Plenty of paints, crayons, colored pencils, markers and paper. She also likes to comb and style her AG dolls long hair......binders, Bobby pins, ribbons, braids.....

I feel bad that you aren't able to see your grandkids often due to geographic separation. That would be tough but I love the way you stay connected.

I hope you have a splendid weekend......always love hearing from you......aah, breath of fresh air!
 
Hey lady. Now we have to worry about MyAussieGirl. That cashew better be alright. You are so supportive to so many and I rarely hear you complain about any of your ongoing recovery issues. Hope tough ate doing well.
 
I agree about MAG. Worrisome it is! She seemed to be improving which is a good thing since she has another surgery around the corner. Hopefully it's just a blip on the screen and she'll be back on track in a day or two.

Thanks for asking about my recovery @Mojo333. I don't feel I have anything to complain about. My recovery has gone very well. Better than my imagination allowed. I was pretty stressed going in never experiencing surgery. I was off the narcotics within 4 days. Minimal pain, bruising etc. You know about the knee swelling which I've shared. I'm truly thankful, daily!

There are so many on BS with ongoing issues and it's heartbreaking to me. I do realize that none of us are home free.....ever! All you need to do is look at the thread titles and see the plethora of problems that can crop up at anytime. I do not lose site of that. So in my eyes for me to whine about a little swelling behind my knee feels wrong. There are many great people on this site that I've enjoyed interacting with. Many need support and encouragement and it's something I feel led to do in seeking those people out. Sometimes I feel guilty I'm not more far reaching on here. I do have the time right now and with so many needing someone to come along side them I'd like to be there to do my small part.

Hope you get the restless legs to settle down, get some restorative sleep and have a relaxing weekend!
 
@Layla don't think of it as "whining" about your knee, think of it as education for those who come after. I found Bonesmart during my initial search about anterior approach. Somebody some years before me had made a post which showed up high on the hits list, and when I got here I was bowled over by the sheer amount of information. So someday somebody is going to google "swelling behind knee", and you are going to come up as #1 hit! I just love the thought that we are leaving a trail for posterity (and anteriorarity and lateralarity...) to follow.
 
@zauberflöte
You have a point, possibly some could benefit from it. I just see heartache here in the form of infection, dislocation, revision, non-union, unrelenting pain etc and feel self centered complaining...wah,wah, my knee.
How about I complain about my dirty house I can't seem to get back under control since surgery :bawl:

Gonna see if MAG catches me using the lil peeps. I told her I only use them with her because she's the one who uses them so cleverly. I cheated on her once, felt guilty and fessed up, haha!
I'll let her catch me this time......and she will! Sorry MAG it just fit, had to use it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about that MAG chick but Mojo is so dry and nobody should stress or worry on that loon MAG though....um I would be afraid to use any Smiley's unless they are too dry and you can't resist.

Growls at you ...we can all be worried and share what's bothering us
Your knee's Matter...gonna go look for a sign and sweatshirt with that on it....mojo333....continued on Mojo's thread
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom