THR Layla's Recovery

That to me is a milestone doing your toes @Layla it's huge. Anything we couldn't do presurgery is awesome progress. I haven't tried even cutting my toenails yet, it would break the 90 degree rule. I see the OS on Wednesday so we will see then. Never call any accomplishment silly or shallow, shame on you, hehe. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@Layla Thank you. There has been no change in DIL's condition. At least it isn't worse.
Yes, we arrived safe. I had some swelling and pain after the trip down. I need to ice 3-hours or so then head to the hospital myself.
 
I have been using a razor taped to a paint stick for years @Layla but I want to be able to do it like a normal woman. I figure after over 16k in hips I better be able to do that, tie my shoes... I leave them tied and slip them on in cold weather. The rest like you.. yeppers all slip on and flip-flops... My doctor's all cringe when they seem them flip flops lol.

Paint and cut my nails.... I can't wait. What color did you do? I got a pale pink hubby will do them in a day or two. Oh and after 23 years he still open and closes car and all doors for me....still NOT a saint... I am.
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl

A razor taped to a paint stick......clever idea, never would have thought of that. Nor taping it too a ruler! Great ideas both.

I 100% agree with you on wanting to have the flexibility to shave as we once did......in the way we consider normal. I try to console myself with the fact that I may, or may not, gain back some of that flexibility but at least I'm rid of that miserable pain that slowed me down, shrunk my life, made me depressed.

Out of habit..I still want to grab onto the top of my pants to lift my leg, or just lift my leg from underneath my thigh to get out of my car. I'm still not used to the fact that I don't have to do that. I can simply lift it out and lower it like before the pain was so bad. I know this sounds sappy but the first few times it made me rather emotional because I couldn't believe it! No more groin pain! Getting out of the car, for me, was one of the most difficult things I'd have to regularaly do......just slowly straightening my leg out through that dreaded pain.

I know flip flops are not a smart option but try and take mine away and I'd put up a fuss! They are known for their lack of support and tripping hazzard. I did invest in a decent pair last year. I paid a little more because they are actually orthodic but no one would know. They look normal but you can feel the support. I don't think you can do away with the tripping hazzard though simply because they're loose on our feet but that's also the appeal during the hot months of summer. Cool, easy on, easy off. Don't know if we can name brands or I would. I bought mine on one of the shopping channels.

You asked.....My polish color for my maiden voyage pedi is called Flirt, which I'm not.....it's a medium pink with a bit of a lavender hue. So many polish colors, so little time, haha!

Doing your nails, opening and closing car doors for you, and the bit that had to do with :horseriding: this.....
Hubby is still a saint in my book...he's the saint, you're the :angel:

Have a good one, Aussie Girl!
 
Hi, you are doing great @Layla and have such a good attitude. I read about flip flops and they're supposed to be terrible for your feet and a life of people end up with issues with their feet and ankles later in life. Also not good for posture and can cause back issues. They do have their place though like the beach etc.... personal choice for sure. I have a pair of crocks I may try though they might be in the same class. High heels I think are the worst. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
Me too on getting in and out of car. Now I still have 1 crummy hip but it's so nice to just get out normal.

Tell me more on pain you still feel in legs @Layla I still get a slight soreness here and there on operated leg but it's a breeze compared to old pain. Now if my non operated hip didn't hurt so much.

I am an angel he is nope no saint

Nail polish sounds pretty I use to have a ton some very pricey...life hit I wasn't using it I have some to a friend and tossed the others

Clean that house but don't over do

Soon beach for me I hope the water is warmer all I could do was a half hour....the nights have been be in the 50s made the lakes mega coooold. :kayak::ice:
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl
You're wondering about any pain I have in my leg......Not much on most days. I feel pretty darned good.

However, yesterday, the day after my pedicure....when I was contorting myself to get it done.....I felt some pain in the upper area of my incision, off and on all all day. I took one Extra Strength Tylenol. Possibly I was stretching something that didn't want to be stretched? I don't know but it's gone today.

Once in awhile it feels like someone kicked me in the rear on my surgical side. Not often though. I notice it if I bend over to grab something in that skaters pose......surgical leg back and straight out like Nancy Kerrigan, you know the pose.

Also still have some swelling behind my knee on surgical side, had it checked twice by two different physician assistants at my OS's office. They said it was not worrisome and could take a bit to go completely away. Those are my main issues.

Still going to PT this week but I don't know how much longer. I just don't like it!

I'm sorry you're still dealing with that virus but I've heard they can hang on at times. I feel your pain with the unoperated leg, it's too bad you have to deal with it but hopefully it will be over soon.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
 
Sorry on the pains @Layla I get those now and then too. I think it's normal healing. I don't know for a fact but think so. I am going to exercise in the lake easier on my joints. I will lose my connection to cell so I'll catch up later. Sorry on your pain ...hugs
 
Layla I'll get a pain if I turn the leg to the outside with weight on it. Really doesn't like that but improving. I haven't done any PT and don't like it either. Especially the cost insurance doesn't cover much. @MyAussieGirl I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one doing nails for the wife.lets just say she's no painter.
 
Hi @Gone again
Love it! Real men are not afraid to do nails!
My dad's wife had a hip replacement a few years back. I knew she'd appreciate that I accomplished my first pedicure post op. After I texted her the news she sent me a short video of my dad polishing her toenails for her post surgery. He caught her filming and said "Don't video me doing this!" Haha!

I expect we'll get odd little aches and pains along the way but it's no comparison to that nasty OA pain.
Glad to hear your doing well. You haven't been around much, figured you were out tearing up the town!
Continued healing to you and wishes for a great week!
 
I think you are doing really well @Layla better than me. I'm wondering if the PT exercises are aggravating my recovery, at least a couple of the newer ones. I took a break other than the simple ones til this morning. After doing them again I'm uncomfortable again. I see my OS on Wednesday after PT. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Aww, don't get discouraged Cheryl @cpollock I think we all recover at a different pace, possibly you were more severe going into surgery than some. I was about 20 months from diagnosis until surgery. I had little signs or twinges, mild ones anyway for years prior. Nothing debilitating, made me wonder though. But nothing ever lasted.

We moved into a new house about 2 yrs ago and I pretty much unpacked all myself, finding a place for everything. It took me weeks! I feel it was right after I finally felt settled in that the aching in my hip started. It wouldn't let up, then a stiffness set in which progressively worsened, wouldn't let up either, then the limp, lack of flexibility, mobility etc I guess in the whole scheme of things I didn't wait that long.

My parents both had hip replacements and I saw how they improved after surgery. Once I made peace with my fears, which were many and the inevitability (it took time) I scheduled my surgery.

I feel like you mentioned once you were limping for quite some time, even using an aid?

I went to 3 out patient PT sessions. I did not like it! I just called today and cancelled a few more I had scheduled, for now anyway. I normally watch my granddaughter all summer while school is out. I watched her in June until my surgery on the 27th, took all of July off but I'm going to begin watching her tomorrow again until school starts in 3 weeks. I figured I see how I progress on my own and decide in three weeks whether I want to continue PT. If I wouldn't have found this site I'd be thinking I had to go to PT no matter what. What's preached on here has me thinking differently.

Mind if I ask how your journey progressed leading up to surgery? I'll bet you'll get a lot of questions answered at your OS appt on Wednesday. I still have my little issues too. A mild limp if I don't really concentrate on it and some swelling still behind my knee on my operative leg. Do you continue to have any swelling?

I hope you have a nice evening and a good doctor visit on Wednesday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Layla I went over 5 years bone on bone. I am so glad one hip isn't killing me ...now to get rid of the other one. We moved into this house 3 years ago and I know the whole unpacking thing by myself mostly.

If your pain is gone it's nothing to be worried about . Lol real men DO paint nails I agree

Lol @Gone again ya gotta paint them nails or face it we get all down :angel:. This smiley face is good cause he painted his wife's to nails
 
@Layla i was thinking of you yesterday!

Taped a razor to the other end of my sponge stick. Thought i would shave in the shower.

What a riot. Dropped soap. Can't reach it. Turning leg almost violated precautions! Laughed and laughed at how stupidly hard a basic function like shaving is when you can't bend!

I got it done, barely. There is no stinking way i can touch up my toe nail polish alone. I could barely get lotion on my calves after the shave.

I am in awe of your grooming achievements, lol!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Funny! @313Lola
Some of the solutions we resort to in an effort to be self sufficient turn into a comedy of errors, don't they?

It is still strange to drop things, then stand and do a quick analysis of how much of a pain it would be to pick it up, finally deciding against it! I miss the spontaneity and flexibility in not giving it a second thought if i drop something.....I just bent over and picked it up! Those days are gone :boohoo:

I've adopted the skaters pose to pick things up. You know the one. Hold onto something...then with operative leg stretched straight out behind I and swoop down and grab!

The polishing was hard, for sure. I used to do it every couple weeks, now it'll be every three, if I'm lucky, neutral polish only as it shows less wear. May even give the polish portion up over the winter but there's still the clipping and none of it is easy. Sure hope that changes!

Applying lotion to lower legs is a challenge also. I was perusing Amazon one day looking at aids for some of these issues and they did have some type of lotion applicator for applying lotion to hard to reach places. It was basically some type of applicator on a lengthy stick, like a back brush length. Can't recall what the applicator portion was made of but it was something that held lotion but was easy to clean also.

Don't be in awe of my grooming achievements because I'm sure they look rather comical. I'm just stubborn sometimes and my pride gets in the way of accepting help. Something I need to work on.....

A great week to you and continued healing! We're 5 weeks today....Yay!!
 
Hi @MySussieGirl
Wow...Five years of bone on bone pain equals a lot of suffering I would imagine. Don't know how you did it!
I just decided one day that I wasn't living life to the fullest due to pain and limitations and I was tired of it.
I can't imagine going five years. Well...soon enough you'll have two new hips and life will be good.

I hope your intestinal distress is lessening along with your fading rash. Sounds like your doc was accurate in saying it could last 6 weeks, per Josephine.

I hope you have a great day Aussie Girl whether it's swimming or just chilling at home. It's going to be another hot one here today, then upper 60's for a day, in a few days. That will feel weird after this prolonged heat.
I'm ready for Fall, it's my favorite time of the year. Probably not yours because of the swimming. Do you go to public pools in th off season? Or.....do you just go through withdrawal?

Enjoy your day sweet Aussie Girl!
 
Haha @Layla if only we could video you shaving your legs etc....
Yes I was limping for many years then started using a cane a year before my surgery. The cane stood up and had claws on the bottom and I found out a week before surgery that these canes were for stroke patients and not offering enough support. Also it was set at the wrong height for me. So this probably didn't help my gait any. I was diagnosed 8 years when I was 47, it was mild to moderate then and my Dr at the time said to take advil and to come back when I was 65. I changed doctors about 5 years ago and he ordered a MRI that took a year to get. It was moderate to early severe in that I had bone spurs and some cysts. He asked if I was ready for a referral to a surgeon and I thought I'd wait a bit, was scared and wanted to try supplements etc. He gave me diclofenac gel and arthrotec which helped some. So I carried on then my mobility went downhill more and went back to the doctor and asked for another x-ray. The result was severe stage OA. This was last summer and I was using a cane and limping horribly. It took til September to see an OS and I was booked for July 31st. I was fortunate to be offered June 19th and have my surgery 6 weeks early. I have no idea how I managed getting to work everyday but I did and full time. So @Layla that is my story on my journey that you asked me to share. And my hip is still swollen and tender spots. Physio said to use heat twice a day for 15 minutes for blood flow so I do that. I've started icing more again this week, physio told me not to because it restricts blood flow and has no benefit after the first couple weeks. So for a few days i stopped icing and it feels more swollen so that was bsd advice. i will see what the OS says tomorrow. i wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Cheryl @cpollock
Wow, I'm sorry.....your road to surgery sounds long and winding. In a nutshell.....painful!
I can imagine your recovery may take a bit longer due to the shape you were in beforehand. Not unattainable but possibly just longer.

A nurse from my OS office reached out to me by phone for the last time last evening. They checked weekly to gauge progress and answer question or address concerns. I mentioned the swelling behind my knee and she shared some helpful advice that not even the physician's assistants shared with me. She suggested a method referred to as RICE:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
She suggested I use an Ace bandage on the swollen area as I ice and elevate, a few times a day. She suggested I massage the area, if able, always in the direction of my heart. She said it may help to move the fluid and allow it to be filtered out through urination. She said with swelling there is a fine balance between activity and inactivity. Too much can result in swelling, just as too little can also, or at least hinder it dissipating. She expressed that movement is good for swelling, in balance.

I've always heard too that icing is ineffective after 24-48 hrs. I wish I would have asked her about that but I didn't think of it while on the phone with her.

With so much advice floating around out there we need to decipher what works best for us. We can listen, take what we want and leave the rest. At least that's how I filter through.

I wish you continued healing, a peaceful day and an enlightening doctor appointment tomorrow!
 
Sweetie I waited because my dog the one that I had to PTS was epileptic and wasn't fond of hubby. He required much care. I would have swam accoss the ocean for him.... climbed the highest mountain. Yes 5 years of horrible pain. I could not walk but small bits. I'd do it all over .... I loved him that much.



Tummy not since last report but I ate my first burger in wow 4 weeks let's hope it holds.

I am thrilled doctor didn't just make that up Miss @Layla

I am so glad you called the doctor's office and got RICE information

I was just speaking about you in someone else's thread lol no name just friend
 
Happy Thursday @MyAussieGirl
I hope the hamburger didn't mess with you and your digestive system is still healing.

That is pure, selfless love setting aside your physical pain for your dogs benefit. I saw photos of your dogs,
I believe on another's thread. Nice looking dogs!

I grew up with dogs, always labs though and a small terrier for a time when my kids were young. My husband always owns a lab and I say "my husband" because it's like it's his dog alone, lol! He trains them to hunt and they don't listen to anyone but him. He takes his dog everywhere he goes, a constant companion! Dogs definitely worm their way into our hearts and it hurts when they are no longer with us. I know that pain, as many do.
I haven't had a dog since the terrier. She had seizures and it was difficult after watching her suffer through that and then lose her life, I was done. Not only painful but I decided I wanted a break from the responsibility. I've considered another dog since then but am settling for my grandkids right now. Who knows what the future may bring.

Hope you can get a swim in today. I realize you probably do get our weather, a day later. High for tomorrow only in the 60's! I love it.....because I love Fall. Weather in the 60's has to be too cold for you to swim though.

Hope you have a great day with continued healing and that your bad hip isn't too painful.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom